New collector with a few questions

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Soleric
Pet Score:1012
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
New collector with a few questions

Post by Soleric » December 7th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Hey everyone, Ive recently gotten into pet collecting and have been reading guides all over the internet for the past few weeks. Thanks for all the amazing content... I wish I could actually play as often as I can browse at work ;)

As you can see from my collection, I dont have much aside from a lvl 25 teraclaw and chromi... so Im wondering where I should start. I started playing in WoD so revisiting some old raids my be fun for me.

My current goals are:
Farm DMF for zepplin and tonk (first week ive been to it)
Complete main master tamer chain and get safari hat
Purchase an Anubisath idol
Go capture a nexus whelpling
Level molten corgi, lil bling, anubisath, and pets mentioned below.
Trap the following: ss rabbit, ss nether faerie, pp nexus whelp, emerald proto welp, p/p emperor crab, p/p rapana welk.

Stretch goals:
Get enchanted broom from argent tourney
Level a group of pets capable of celestial tournament
Learn to pvp battle

Few questions:
I have deathy... are there any good team setups to help make him useful or is he just for looks?

Anyone care to look thru my collection and suggest a few useful pets to level? Currently working on ghostly skull/mischief/deathy

Are the old tamers worth doing still or just go thru pandaria and tanaan?

Any other suggestions? Fun/challenging goals for a new collecter to aim for?

Thanks again for all the content, I really enjoy reading through it.
Last edited by Soleric on December 8th, 2016, 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13808
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Re: New collector with a few questions

Post by Darkchyld » December 8th, 2016, 12:07 am

I personally got the 4 pets to accomplish this:

2 pet strats for WoD and MoP trainers:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=4580
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/15353775980

Can substitute nether fairie dragon s/s for the sprite darter that is mentioned in the WoD guide.

Then worked on pet teams that are fastest:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... er#p121165
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 10&t=13853

Especially useful when the pet battle week, which comes in 2 weeks, which allows you to level from 1-25 battling 2 trainers.

Only pet that is semi-useful in your collection that you haven't already leveled is Lil Bling. I also have some of the Argent Tourney currency rotting so if you want, add me on b.net and I have a broom for ya.

Lunarific
Top Rater
Pet Score:4359
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Lunarific » December 8th, 2016, 12:09 am

Welcome :)

With regards to useful pets to level, I would head to Coldarra (Borean Tundra, Northrend) and catch a Nexus Whelpling, and also go to the north part of Sholazar Basin (where the trees are on fire/green proto-drakes are around) to catch an Emerald Proto-Whelp. When you manage to get your hands on an Anubisath Idol I would level that, too.

You might find Lil Bling useful for the Celestial Tourney, if you can get your hands on a rare rabbit (preferably S/S breed) I would definitely level one of those, too.

I don't have Deathy myself so I'm not too sure about any setups involving him, sorry.

I don't usually do the old tamers, just the Pandaria ones (the WoD ones are useful too but I'm lazy). I don't think there's much to get from the older ones, but could be wrong.

Hawg
MVP
Pet Score:12952
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Hawg » December 8th, 2016, 1:57 am

I wouldn't t start the celestial tourney until you have a ton of pets, it can be quite frustrating if you don't have good teams and there really is no rush. Work on collecting all the capture levels pets first, also work on all the pets that are quest rewards. Once you have done that and have a good amount of lvl 25 pets you can reconsider the celestial tournament.

Also keep an eye on the AH, it's amazing how cheap some pets are on there.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 8th, 2016, 8:27 am

If you want a general priority list, I don't think you could do better than the number of times each pet is used in the primary strategy at XuFu's:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... 91#p131412

If you are specifically targeting the Celestial tournament, that list is still excellent. All the pets you need are there, since it includes the pets used in the CT.

You have [pet]Molten Corgi[/pet]. He's a perfectly good pet in his own right, but apart from that he has [ability]Superbark[/ability], which is incredibly handy for capturing wild pets, since it will reduce them to 1 but never kill them. I'd make it a priority to level him specifically for that. Other pets with the same capability are [pet]Grumpy[/pet] and [pet]Terrible Turnip[/pet] (and now Snobold Runt, but that's not as easy to get). Grumpy is a reward from a quest on Bradensbrook, Val'sharah. Ikky comes from a quest in Spires of Arak, Draenor. Both are easy to get. Having one of these pets on your taming team will save a lot of time and frustration.

Yes, by all means farm the old raids for the Raiding With Leashes pets! Farm early, farm often! Apart from anything else, it will also get you some gold to feed your new habit. :P

Use the addons
Rematch
Battle Pet Breed ID
Pet Tracker

I second Hawg's suggestion of the AH. There are a lot of really good pets there being sold cheap. Among others

Iron Starlette
Ikky
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
Clockwork Gnome
Zandalari Anklerender (get a P/* breed)
Darkmoon Tonk
Darkmoon Zeppelin
Fossilized Hatchling
Ghastly Kid
Lil' Bling

are excellent pets that will probably cost very little, though you will need to upgrade the MPD from Green to Blue quality unless you buy one already upgraded. You can farm most of these yourself if you prefer.

For tamed pets, a P/P Nexus Whelpling is an excellent choice.

I recommend spending a couple of hours in the Briny Muck in Dread Wastes, Pandaria, where you can pick up a P/P [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] and a [pet]Rapana Whelk[/pet], two pets that need to be in every battler's roster. Though a H/P [pet]Mudshell Conch[/pet] from Highmountain is the same as the Rapana Whelk, and with a better breed, both the Crabs and the Whelks spawn in the Briny Muck, so you can search for two at the same time.

The other top-notch wild pet that is exceptionally useful at this stage is the [pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet]. You want a P/P breed. It can be frustrating to farm because they spawn only in one small place, and there aren't a lot of them. However, it will pay off. An EPW is exceptionally hard to kill, which makes it valuable both in tamer and wild battles.

Soleric

Post by Soleric » December 8th, 2016, 9:05 am

Thanks for the replies,

Sooo... I downloaded the addon so I can see breeds and will pick up the ss rabbit and nether faerie asap.

Also read up on the guides posted here, ill need to farm a bit to pick up anubisath and mech panda.... looks like I can get both for 15-20k total.

Thanks for the tip on watching AH. Ive actually been doing this for a while and trying to flip some for profit and buy others I need. Helps me learn about pet market and can be done with the mobile armory app :)

Do you guys just park alts in pandaria/tanaan etc or fly all over the place? Ive only got a lvl 101 and lvl 5 haha

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » December 8th, 2016, 10:32 am

On the AH, be conscious that some tradeable pets are valuable in some breeds but not others.

For example, [pet]Fiendish Imp[/pet] and [pet]Death Adder Hatchling[/pet] and [pet]Wicked Soul[/pet] really both need to be S/S, and S/S versions of these pets will be worth a lot more than other breeds. (Though the pet market is irrational, so who knows...)

I don't think that armoury app lets you see breeds, so that might affect your pricing decisions.

Idol and MPD should not be that expensive!

See
https://theunderminejournal.com/#us/kil ... lepet/1155
https://theunderminejournal.com/#us/kil ... tlepet/844
and look at average and standard deviations. If you are patient, I'm sure you will get both for under 12K. Of course, farming raids, especially Cata raids, will bring you in that much in a week.

When I was levelling pets, I flew around Pandaria mostly. I have one alt parked at Crysa at the moment, and I'm not really levelling much anymore, but when I do, I take a 100-109 alt and send them around Pandaria, and occasionally Draenor.

However, people with a lot of alts can trickle-level them by parking.

Dolz
Pet Score:6070
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Dolz » December 8th, 2016, 1:08 pm

If you're having trouble with a trainer I can't recommend highly enough Hazelnuttygames on Youtube. She has quite a few combat guides. Her videos are well produced and easy to follow. When it comes to pet battles she is scary good.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635

Post by Peanutty » December 8th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Soleric wrote:ill need to farm a bit to pick up anubisath and mech panda.... looks like I can get both for 15-20k total.
I'm shocked anyone would pay 15-20k for those 2 pets. Obviously there's a market for them, since they're considered "necessary" pets (although there's no such thing, they are key components of many strats).

Since you're just starting out I would actually advise on taking the slower route, leveling pets that you want to level, making your way through the quest chains, instead of dropping a chunk of gold and realizing later on that you overpaid for convenience.

Farming pets can be rewarding (and save you a lot of gold). Same with leveling pets... paying for a lvl 25 is paying someone like me 1-2k gold for spending 20 seconds lazily throwing stones at a pet. I only buy pets for myself when it's a rare drop and my time spent farming becomes more expensive than what I feel it's worth. Another "trick" is to make sure you let friends and guildmates know that you're an active pet collector. I always have people looking out for pets for me and they know I'll always buy - they don't have to hassle with AH and I get a bargain in return.

All that said, play how you want to play. :) Some people love following guides, others want to forge their own way, even if that means stumbling and making a few mistakes. If you're the former and not the latter, then my advice won't help!
Gráinne wrote:When I was levelling pets, I flew around Pandaria mostly. I have one alt parked at Crysa at the moment, and I'm not really levelling much anymore, but when I do, I take a 100-109 alt and send them around Pandaria, and occasionally Draenor.

However, people with a lot of alts can trickle-level them by parking.
I still fly the Pandaria route, it's mindlessly routine for me. It really doesn't take that long once you get the hang of it. I have plenty of alts to level and it's a great way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, and get rarity stones galore. I have a toon parked at Crysa as well, and a toon parked at Ashlei in SMV.

Soleric

Post by Soleric » December 8th, 2016, 11:53 pm

Awesome, thanks... ill definately check out the channel.

I picked up my emerald proto and nexus whelp p/p today also. Just need to upgrade em now.

Soleric

Post by Soleric » December 9th, 2016, 11:29 am

Peanutty wrote:
Soleric wrote:ill need to farm a bit to pick up anubisath and mech panda.... looks like I can get both for 15-20k total.
I'm shocked anyone would pay 15-20k for those 2 pets. Obviously there's a market for them, since they're considered "necessary" pets (although there's no such thing, they are key components of many strats)
Yeah im waiting to get the mech panda for around 4k... havent seen the idol in our server for less than 18k tho. I'll level all the pets myself too... maybe ill make a few runs and try to get the idol to drop. Been farming ICC a d darkmoon this week.

Moneypenny
Top Rater
Pet Score:12117
BattleTag®:Msbehavin#1399
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Moneypenny » December 9th, 2016, 12:35 pm

hey sol if you are after some extra pets i have some spare i can give you to help withyour collection feel free to add me if you want to msbehavin#1399 they may not be anything special but they will boost your collection if that what you are after to
http://www.best-signatures.com/]Image

Edmuir
Pet Score:4542
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Edmuir » December 9th, 2016, 1:37 pm

I'm also a new player and collector since Sept 16. Some tips that have helped me and are not particularly difficult to accomplish:

Head over to Exodar and purchase and release Yellow Moths 'til you get a couple of P/P breeds. Others may disagree, but for PVE, it's pretty much the best moth in the game.

Hit the AH up for a Teroclaw. They are ridiculously cheap for what they can accomplish. I'm not sure there's a better pet available for wild battles and captures in Pandaria. The AH is quicker, but they're dead simple to pick up in Draenor if you prefer to catch your own.

Every 'toon you have can roll into DMF this weekend and get a pet for you. You simply need to be Lv 15 and scrounge up 100 fish for the easy-peasy Treasure Map quest. That gives you 100 tickets with which you can (and should) buy a Tonk and Zepplin. Also, Hogs is not terribly difficult to get once you've figured out the best way to play that mini game. Far, far easier than spawning a crow tbh.

If you got the Anniversary Corgi, he's served me better than the turnip to be honest. There's too many instances where I find the elemental type is awkward and with the S/S speed of the Corgi, you might be surprised at how fast he catches things. I just wished he didn't yap so much.

The Rapana Whelk gets all the love, but honestly, I haven't even bothered since the H/P Shimmershell does pretty much everything I'd ever need for a snail (the S/S Rapana seems quite slow, not sure what the fuss is all about). Easy to catch in Lordanel but you'll have to level them a bit more than other snails. The Mudshell is pretty much the same thing I reckon.

Get an SS Grasslands Cottontail. It is ruinous against a lot of PVE tamers as it hits quite a bit harder than the other bunnies while still be plenty fast.

The Zandarlari raptors farm up pretty quickly once you figure out the spawn pattern for the dudes that drop them. They're quite useful.

Watch the AH for a deal on Chrominius.

I still do Lydia in EK, Trixxy and Obalis in Kalilmdor, Bloodknight Antari & Major Payne since they drop blue stones which new dudes like me need. Trixxy and Lydia take only a moment or two. Maybe I've just been lucky, but Lydia seems to drop Undead stones more than anyone else and those are quite handy given how annoying some of the wild undead pets are to capture. Honestly, I can't fly in Draenor so I'm just about done doing that circuit as it's super annoying hoofing it all over the damned place.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 9th, 2016, 8:01 pm

Hi,

There are way too many choices, and ideas, that can really throw things for a loop.

I like the suggestions, and all of them are quite good, however, what I did a year ago, was start making my own list, and then compared the comments, to the number of times that these pets showed up in random strategies from Wowhead or here or elsewhere. . Here's my thought pattern "long lost list" for the most part.

Ex1: Unborn Val'kyr was in so many strategies, that it was obvious you had to get one. Heck, they opened the flood gates and now you can get 2 of them, both different, and you can even choose which one to use in any given fight. Top of the list!

Ex2: The Fawn's are not always listed in many places, but they almost fit in the same spot as the Teroclaw Hatchling. Fight a few of those in Val'Sharah, and you will find that ... hmmmm ... interesting. Moves up the list!

Ex3: Before I got the Teroclaw, Anubisath was my leveler lead-in, because the Sandstorm helped curb some damage, and it also healed him enough for him to last through many a fight. Up to top of the list! But I went to AQ to get it. Was more fun, even trying to get that sick Ooze that you can't kill without the right weapon, that you have to go farm!

Ex4: Whelplings. Need to go to a couple of places at midnight game time, and you can get 2 of these within 10 minutes ... Spawn of Onyxia and the Infinite Whelpling. The SoO is a bit too slow but it does put out decent damage. Moves up the list!

Ex5: Farming Whelplings. My only lucky get from farming a whelpling has been in Feralas. End of story. I've spent way too much time in Wetlands for nothing! Feralas moves up the list. Others down the list when you have nothing else to get, because the time required to get one, is ridiculous and not worth the time. Farming moves down the list!

Ex6: Other bombers. Find the use for the easy ones. The 2 manafiends, bomb nicely and can be used to close out the fights, and I use the Eldrich a lot for this. I like having a 450 half bomb, and 800 bomb ... now and now, one after the other when a mob is being a headache. Close out the fight, and not wait for a setup. Moves up the list!

Ex7: Mechanicals. Some are mandatory. One Iron Starlette (I like 2 of them -- for the Stitches and BofB fights), and go home 20 seconds later. Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is a must ... his Decoy is very helpful n a lot of fights. Moves up the list. Others are very useful, specially Lil'Bling, the Tonk, the Zep ... all of these you will find in a lot of fights. Move up the list!

Ex8: The Zandalari's. Get a friend, and go farm these. In less than a couple of hours, you will both have these stocked. All 4 of them no less, although these days, there are a couple of arguments about which ones to get. I say get two of each (different of course), and then make your call. In general, speed is good on these since they do not have a lot of hit points, and you want them to go first, so they only take one big damage, and you can get the Black Claw and their Rampage through. Moves up the list because it is easy ... and they are very effective in many spots!

This is just an example, of what you might want to do to create a list for yourself. As I mentioned, my list started with 20 from the Top 20 listed here on this site, and then the 36 or so pets listed on a run through for the Celestial Tournament -- which I refuse to do and will never do!), however, the listing of pets in there is excellent, and gives you an excellent lead on its uses, which is even more important.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because I no longer need 300 Blue Stones to make many of these "Rare", now, it is easier to decide/choose which pets to get, and I let a lot of the blues/greens and whites go ... if the Poor is the breed that is most important. There is a thread on this board on breeds for Legion, and I recommend printing it, not that you have to follow it religiously, but some of the comments are totally massive and sometimes the difference between a win and a loss ... you will have to install the Pet Breed ID addon, btw. The same goes for many other Pets, and when you look at the 9 or 10 different Rats or Bunnies, you will find real quick, that most of them are not worth it, even if they show up as a "rare".

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » December 9th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Edmuir wrote:Head over to Exodar and purchase and release Yellow Moths 'til you get a couple of P/P breeds. Others may disagree, but for PVE, it's pretty much the best moth in the game.
+1 for avoiding a suggestion to swarm the AH, as everyone can buy it via vendor anyway for a low price. Though if one's lucky enough to not get very much of them, they can also put them in a guild bank for folks. :)
Every 'toon you have can roll into DMF this weekend and get a pet for you. You simply need to be Lv 15 and scrounge up 100 fish for the easy-peasy Treasure Map quest. That gives you 100 tickets with which you can (and should) buy a Tonk and Zepplin. Also, Hogs is not terribly difficult to get once you've figured out the best way to play that mini game. Far, far easier than spawning a crow tbh.
It's over on the Sunday, so better to hurry up. :) Also, a set of dailies is also worth doing as there's a slight chance to get any of these pets. You can also send the packs of prizes to one character. Note that you need a lvl 20 and perhaps Riding to do the races (annoyingly bugged, but at least you can't waste a token unless you fall to a featureless water).
If you got the Anniversary Corgi, he's served me better than the turnip to be honest (…)
And is useful for forcing a pet to swap what is nice against some Tanaan pets and tamers with crossed pet types! For that specific purpose, you can also use [pet]Enchanted Broom[/pet] and S/S [pet]Fiendish Imp[/pet] with a different detail.
The Rapana Whelk gets all the love, but honestly, I haven't even bothered since the H/P Shimmershell does pretty much everything I'd ever need for a snail (the S/S Rapana seems quite slow, not sure what the fuss is all about). Easy to catch in Lordanel but you'll have to level them a bit more than other snails. The Mudshell is pretty much the same thing I reckon.
I like you so much. ❤

I can recall myself getting a bunch of Undead stones from garrison spirits, but that was more than a year ago and it might have been changed. You need to unlock them during a Hallow‘s End anyway, unless you know whom to ask for sharing. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Soleric

Post by Soleric » December 12th, 2016, 9:46 am

Wow, thanks again for all the helpful advice!

I made it up to northrend and picked up a P/P nexus whelp, and emerald prototype. Also ran ICC and had a few pet drops... wasnt able to find unborn valk tho, maybe next time.

I got the breed ID addon, pet tracker, and pet battles... all are super helpful.

These are some of the most helpful forums I've ever come across. I'll definately add those who posted their bnet. Mine is Bowzer #1669 Id love to have a chat/play with ya.

Edit: Anyone want to take a stab at a Deathy team? Or not worth messing with?

Edmuir

Post by Edmuir » December 13th, 2016, 9:45 am

I found both the Unborn Valk and Scourged Whelpling simply by flying over them on the way to some random AT quest (I'm new to the game so this content is still pretty cool to me and I have none of the mounts or pets, also, as a Hearthstone fan, I really dug the GT expac). Just make sure you have the addon that shows their spawn points on the map and zigzag by those as you fly around. With some luck, if you spend anytime doing a bit of AT stuff (and Major Payne), you'll probably fly over one of the foxes (if it's snowing in the Storm Peaks) or simply spend some time in Howling Fjord to get what is probably the best Fox. Do grab yourself a Fox at some point as they are quite handy.

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » December 14th, 2016, 11:45 am

Paladance wrote:
Edmuir wrote:Head over to Exodar and purchase and release Yellow Moths 'til you get a couple of P/P breeds. Others may disagree, but for PVE, it's pretty much the best moth in the game.
+1 for avoiding a suggestion to swarm the AH, as everyone can buy it via vendor anyway for a low price. Though if one's lucky enough to not get very much of them, they can also put them in a guild bank for folks. :)
Just swapped out my Yellow Moth and went got me a P/P ... it's at 15 or something like it right now and will be 25 by tomorrow or so.

Definitely a must have suggestion, and the same goes for a couple of the other moth's in the Timeless Isle, with a couple of the P/P ones very tough to bring down, and usually are coded to defend correctly.

Edmuir

Post by Edmuir » December 14th, 2016, 12:14 pm

You'll find that there are a couple (maybe more) strats that work best with 2 moths, so 2 P/P Yellow Moths stoned to rare will be something you'll want for MoP and WoD content. Other players keep suggesting a "Lightning Moth" but I've honestly not saw a need for one yet.

Soleric

Post by Soleric » December 16th, 2016, 10:27 am

Update: Huge thanks to Darkchyld who helped me out with a gift of Anubisath, Mech Panda, and Broom. I've since been able to start doing my garrison dailies and accumulate the currency. I only get like 46xp for my pet tho... guess the real reward is the currency?

Also found my SS cottontail :) Need to grab some power moths and crabs now.

Any recommendations for Fawn and Whelk breeds?