Alt F4 workaround?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu
Alt F4 workaround?

Post by Gromagrim » December 21st, 2012, 5:47 am

Hello,

I've observed something while farming up rares in the wild.

If I abandon a match, then immeadiately hit my 'windows' button (to check forums etc.), when I tab back in, there's the same pet in front of me, clickable, with the same secondaries and same rarities as before, exactly the same as if I'd logged out and back in before the hotfix.

Can other people try this and confirm it works? I play wow in full mode. I expect it'll be fixed soon, but for now it might help if you kill that rare you wanted to catch!

Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Re: Alt F4 workaround?

Post by Kurasu » December 21st, 2012, 10:35 am

The alt+F4... *did* work. However, reports are that it has since been hotfixed. I would assume that this is similar, in that it's basically your computer 'telling' the system that it's disconnected instead of simply being abandoned. I *could* be wrong, but...

Mathew013
MVP
Pet Score:3694
Realm:Ghostlands-us

Post by Mathew013 » December 21st, 2012, 10:39 am

Just to confirm then - you're clicking the surrender flag, THEN press alt+tab immediately?

Jetstream
Pet Score:2508
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Jetstream » December 21st, 2012, 2:44 pm

Uh, guys, do keep in mind that once they've officially hotfixed a thing and acknowledged it as being unintended, trying to replicate it would almost certainly be considered exploting.

Riixie
Pet Score:2839
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Riixie » December 21st, 2012, 5:10 pm

OR queue up for a scenario. Enter the Scenario (leaving the pet battle.) Then you can just leave the pet battle and the rare pet will be waiting for you to re-engage him (or her). You do not actually have to leave the instance group, just physically leave the dungeon. Do be warned, leaving the instance group immediately will result in a 15min banned from queuing. I also highly suggest doing this with two friends, since I think its quite rude to do this to strange who queued up to do a scenario for the sake of doing a scenario. You're friends can also vote to kick you out of the group if you guys die once before the 15 min marker.

VtK only works once on a person per 2 hours. abandoning an scenario immediately will give you a 15m banned on re-queues (unless your whole group dies FIRST in some cases). You have been warned.

Much faster, but only works for lv 90s. At lower levels you could queue up for a dungeon, but it will probably take anywhere from 5 to 15 min to get in depending on role, level, and time of day.

****If you are a hunter or warlock, there are work-arounds using you're combat pet and marcos bound to keys on your keyboard. Basic idea: tell your hunter pet to attack something then stop. You can target Mobs while in a pet battle using your mouse. If the mob does dmg to you, it will pull you out of a pet battle.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 21st, 2012, 5:20 pm

Jetstream wrote:Uh, guys, do keep in mind that once they've officially hotfixed a thing and acknowledged it as being unintended, trying to replicate it would almost certainly be considered exploting.
This. As much as I dislike the "fix", trying to exit a battle but not despawn a pet isn't worth getting flagged for an actionable exploit.

Also, suggestions for workarounds are appreciated, but please don't promote possible exploits via these forums. We may not always agree with the changes made, but we need to respect the developers in their decisions and work with them instead of around them to figure out a better compromise.

Mumper did mention some updates and changes will be coming in 5.2 regarding this situation, so maybe it will all work out. We'll have to wait and see.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » December 21st, 2012, 8:08 pm

'Workaround' might have been the wrong way of putting this, but it's something I happened upon by accident and shared in good faith.

I doubt the readers of this forum are the ones who blizz are worried about anyway.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » December 21st, 2012, 9:06 pm

Gromagrim wrote:'Workaround' might have been the wrong way of putting this, but it's something I happened upon by accident and shared in good faith.

I doubt the readers of this forum are the ones who blizz are worried about anyway.
That's completely understandable, accidents happen and sometimes they turn out to be useful! :)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jetstream

Post by Jetstream » December 22nd, 2012, 1:23 am

Quintessence wrote:
Jetstream wrote:Uh, guys, do keep in mind that once they've officially hotfixed a thing and acknowledged it as being unintended, trying to replicate it would almost certainly be considered exploting.
This. As much as I dislike the "fix", trying to exit a battle but not despawn a pet isn't worth getting flagged for an actionable exploit.

Also, suggestions for workarounds are appreciated, but please don't promote possible exploits via these forums. We may not always agree with the changes made, but we need to respect the developers in their decisions and work with them instead of around them to figure out a better compromise.

Mumper did mention some updates and changes will be coming in 5.2 regarding this situation, so maybe it will all work out. We'll have to wait and see.

Aaaaand here it is, in the preliminary 5.2 patch notes.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/12/22/world ... #continued
Fleeing a pet battle will no longer despawn the pet that was being battled, but doing so will now inflict some damage on the fleeing pet battle team.

Disconnecting from a pet battle will once again respawn the pets you were fighting.

Any pet that has been killed in a pet battle will now never respawn.

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » December 22nd, 2012, 3:01 am

If the motivation for them fixing forced logging respawns was to stop unscrupulous players 'selling' pet spawns, this 5.2 change doesn't stop that.

In fact, the only behaviour it curtails is re-spawning pets who you've tried to capture but have been killed by crits, dots or suicide attacks.

I'm confused!

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » December 22nd, 2012, 5:57 am

Gromagrim wrote:If the motivation for them fixing forced logging respawns was to stop unscrupulous players 'selling' pet spawns, this 5.2 change doesn't stop that.

In fact, the only behaviour it curtails is re-spawning pets who you've tried to capture but have been killed by crits, dots or suicide attacks.

I'm confused!
I don't think that their goal is to stop people from selling spawns, since you can't exactly do that.

I think the main goal is to reinforce intended gameplay, and discourage unintended gameplay (such as killing a rare and then re-logging to "try again").

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » December 22nd, 2012, 11:55 am

I guess I just can't understand how an unlucky crit constitutes immersive gameplay. The difficulty in the system is finding the right rng pet, having that pet lost due to bad luck isn't compelling content.

Jetstream

Post by Jetstream » December 22nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

Gromagrim wrote:I guess I just can't understand how an unlucky crit constitutes immersive gameplay. The difficulty in the system is finding the right rng pet, having that pet lost due to bad luck isn't compelling content.
Meh. Level a turnip, never have the problem again.

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788

Post by Catalytic » December 23rd, 2012, 2:23 am

Jetstream wrote:
Gromagrim wrote:I guess I just can't understand how an unlucky crit constitutes immersive gameplay. The difficulty in the system is finding the right rng pet, having that pet lost due to bad luck isn't compelling content.
Meh. Level a turnip, never have the problem again.
Don't rely too much on that TERRIBLE turnip. I have used him to catch hundreds of pets, only to have him KILL a rare Lofty Libram with Weakening Blow. I was in such a panic trying to relog, I didn't think to screenie my pet battle log, and when it happened, I assumed he had a suicide move, but he, in fact, does not. I assume it's a glitch, since it specifically states it won't reduce below 1hp, but I am incredibly grateful I have an SSD drive and that it happened a night or two before the hotfix.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » December 23rd, 2012, 8:46 pm

I have had things die after the terrible turnip hits a weakened blow..I think its usually due to an effect over time from a prior battle or an earlier blow..so I am very careful to NOT use anything that has an effect over more than one round if I am trying to capture a rare pet.