2 Pet Strategies for Tarr the Terrible

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Valianya
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Arathor-us
2 Pet Strategies for Tarr the Terrible

Post by Valianya » August 5th, 2016, 3:17 am

He truly is Terrible.

I have found that the strat I used before the patch no longer works for low level pets, likely due to the nerfs to various pets.

I was using [pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] and [pet]Weebomination[/pet] strat previously.

Essentially, Curse of Doom, Unholy Ascension, Cleave everything, and carry pet to eat the stuns.

However, I now find that it is only working very rarely, dependent on crits, since Weebom is dying well before Murkimus goes down. Weebomination now has to use Consume Corpse to heal or it goes down before Deathy does. And even with that heal, it is only working with high level carry pets who can eat the fall damage from Heroic Leap (and then some), and deal out close to 500 damage before Murkimus kills them.

Please share your strategies to 2-pet this Terrible ogre with lower level pets, and those that do not have to deal damage (Plushie).

Shagina
Top Rater
Pet Score:3992
Realm:Grim Batol-eu

Re: 2 Pet Strategies for Tarr the Terrible

Post by Shagina » August 5th, 2016, 3:41 am

I use Fossilized Hatchling (2, 1, 2) and Graves (1, 2, 2) for this fight. Spam BONESTORM on cooldown and keep healing with Ancient Blessing until the FH goes down, swap in your leveling pet, then Graves and do the same again with Grave Destruction and Consume Corpse.

Prettyheals
Pet Score:5799
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Prettyheals » August 5th, 2016, 6:57 am

I use Darkmoon Zeppelin, carry pet, and Ruby Droplet. The Ruby Droplet solos the fight. The Zeppelin is really just a vehicle to swap in the carry pet safely (drop Decoy, swap in carry pet, swap in Rupy Droplet). If you cast Bubble, and Drain Blood on cooldown, with absorb as a filler, the Ruby Droplet can kill all three pets and end the fight with nearly full health. It is a painfully long fight, but it works!

Wavsite
MVP
Pet Score:8734
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Wavsite » August 5th, 2016, 9:12 am

I use the following:

[pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] (B/B) with Shadow Slash and Haunt
[pet]Fossilized Hatchling[/pet] (P/S) with Bone Bite and BONESTORM
carry pet

Start off with Haunt, swap in the Fossilized Hatchling. Use BONESTORM every time it's up, fill in with Bone Bite. This should finish the first two Murlocs and most of the third. When the Hatchling dies, bring in the carry pet then immediately swap to the Unborn Val'kyr. Finish the last pet with Shadow Slash.

I haven't had any issues with this combo, and I did a MASSIVE leveling campaign during the last Pet XP week to get ALL my pets to 25. I think the lowest carry I've had in this fight was 9 or 12, so I can't remember if there's any AOE damage from the Murlocs - mine all survived just fine, and they never take a direct hit with this method.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » August 5th, 2016, 11:36 am

I used to call [pet]Fel Pup[/pet] and [pet]Lost Netherpup[/pet], but I'm not sure how it works with the change applied to [ability]Howl[/ability]. Perhaps it just requires more strict planning. :P

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Asclepius
Top Rater
Pet Score:5054
BattleTag®:Asclepius#1550
Realm:Black Dragonflight-us

Post by Asclepius » August 5th, 2016, 12:29 pm

So i use a P/P [pet]Death Adder Hatchling[/pet] and a [pet]Creepy Crate[/pet]. You can do this strategy with a lvl 1 pet. It works 100% off the time.

Death Adder Hatchling
[ability]Vicious Fang[/ability]
[ability]Puncture Wound[/ability]
[ability]Blinding Poison[/ability]

Creepy Crate
[ability]Creepy Chomp[/ability]
[ability]Curse of Doom[/ability]
[ability]Bone Storm[/ability]

Start With Death Adder Hatchling

Rd. 1: Blinding Poison
Rd. 2: Puncture Wound
Rd. 3: Vicious Fang
Rd 4: Vicous Fang
Rd 5: Vicous Fang
MurkaLot Down

Rd. 6: Blinding Poison
Rd. 7: Puncture Wound
Rd. 8: Vicious Fang
Rd. 9: Vicious Fang

Deathy Down

Rd. 9: Vicious Fang
Rd. 10: Blinding Poison
Rd. 11:Switch in Carry Pet
Rd. 12: Switch in Creepy Crate
Rd. 12:Curse of Doom
Rd. 13: Creepy Chomp
Rd .14: Creepy Chomp
Rd. 15: Pass He'll land and curse of doom Hits

Bigfire
Pet Score:13840
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Bigfire » August 6th, 2016, 8:45 pm

My method of Unborn Val'kyr and Macabre Marionette still works fine.

1. Unborn Val'kyr -> Curse of Doom, Haunt
2. Swap in leveling pet.
3. Swap in Macabre Marionette.
4. Either MM gets stunned or he doesn't. Bone Barrage
5. Death and Decay, Bone Barrage until MM dies to the third pet.
6. Swap in Unborn Val'kyr and Shadow Shock for victory.

Prohorde
Pet Score:4482
BattleTag®:Armenius#1788
Realm:Wildhammer-us

Post by Prohorde » August 7th, 2016, 9:39 am

i start the fight with [pet]macabre marionette[/pet], after it dies i put in my carry for 1 round an remove it, an put in graves, gg

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Post by Uduwudu » August 9th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Hi,

A Creepy Crate is your friend here ... big time!

Hard to use Doom from Val'kyr as it gets wiped ... so I don't bother. But she has enough fight to make it worth while. But the CC is the one big one in this fight for me.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » August 9th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Asclepius wrote: ...
Creepy Crate
[ability]Creepy Chomp[/ability]
[ability]Curse of Doom[/ability]
[ability]Bone Storm[/ability]
Rd. 12:Curse of Doom
Rd. 15: Pass He'll land and curse of doom Hits
I find this really weird ... I have totally stopped using Curse of Doom in that fight as it gets wiped each and every time. I find it weird to see it used and it works, on this here. For me, the Unborn Val'kyr is almost worthless if I try to use the Curse of Doom, since, in my case, it was wiped 3 times, more than once, meaning that the Gladiators know you just put up a big gun, and they know when to wipe it. Thus, I began relying on the other spell (small heal with it) and then use the other spell on the opposite side of UA. After that, I allow the Creepy Crate to make sure it can do damage twice to the other pets, so they have less Hit Points, which is the biggest and most important part of the fight ... and the rest is easy.

These gladiators, losing 450 to 550 points each from the Creepy Crate is the biggest advantage there is. Again, I have found CoD worthless and a waste of time in this fight. I think we need to remind ourselves that there are several/many alternatives that we are not used to using, and in fact, have no idea how to use. You kinda learn this quickly if you ever tried taking Fungal this or that or Withers, all the way up to 25 ... Very slow, and trying ... but a bit on the side that we are not learning on many of these fights?

I'm actually thinking of trying to get 2 Creepy Crates, just for that fight!

Another example, is using Chrominius against Veeshar in the Spires of Arak, and using Howl and the Bomb. Actually not very smart at all, when you can use Arcane Explosion exclusively, and when you get done, the first pet is down to 200 points (or so), another pet in the background is down to 200 points (or so), and the 2nd pet is in serious bad shape. You bring in the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, pump Moonfire (AoE damage), and the 3rd pet dies in the background, and you only have to deal with one pet that revives with a few hit points, and the fight is over. Using the Howl and Bomb here, is a waste, when you could easily help yourself by making sure the other pets have less to work with.

THIS, btw, is a strong strategy on many of the fights in the jungle ... you take AoE damage, and your pets are taking it hard, and making the fights sometimes more difficult than they need to be, and it is advisable, to take into consideration that ability to use AoE's and when, and also learn how to defend them ... because they are big problems otherwise, if you think you can just bomb once and its over.

Cluey
Pet Score:11369

Post by Cluey » August 22nd, 2016, 12:18 pm

I'm not really sure what you're all referring to by Curse of Doom getting wiped?

The only change I noticed with this battle is that it takes slightly longer now. As they reduced the damage from Weebomination's Cleave you can't just go CoD > Unholy Ascension, as the Cleave won't clean them up.
Instead just use Shadow Slash from the Val'kyr.

Round 1. [Curse of Doom], he does his silly leap and get stunned attack.
Round 2. [Shadow Slash], he swaps in a pet which eats it, free damage round for us.
Round 3. [Shadow Slash], he casts Scorched Earth.
Round 4. Swap in carry pet, it needs > 123 health. I think that's any pet, I'm allowing for a double damage crit there.
Round 4. Swap Val'kyr back in, he charges up [Deep Breath].
Round 5. [Shadow Slash], the [Deep Breath] hits us but doesn't kill us.
Round 6. [Shadow Slash], he charges up again. This and the DoT kill him.
Round 7. [Shadow Slash], the [Shieldstorm] blocks it.
Round 8. [Curse of Doom], we get jumped on and killed.
Round 9. [Unholy Ascension], he swaps in the last pet, this blocked but eats the block and debuffs his first pet.
Round 10. Swap in your second L25 pet, I've done this with Weebomination and Macabre Marionette. *
Round 11+ Attack until you win with whichever pet you chose. With Macabre Marionette I won on round 15.

* As long as the pet you choose has undead attacks you should win, I suppose we could look for a REALLY slow one so we don't get thumped twice by the [Counterstrike] or look for a beast with undead attacks. I haven't bothered as I haven't needed to.

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » August 23rd, 2016, 10:06 am

Cluey wrote:I'm not really sure what you're all referring to by Curse of Doom getting wiped?
I have used, on occasion two Unborn Val'kyr's (one of each kind, btw!) in this fight successfully along with a Creepy Crate, and not once had I to use Curse of Doom.

When using them first and second, the Curse of Doom has been wiped by the Gladiators and I finally gave up wasting a turn on nothing, and started using the other keys. Turns out, you don't need to use a single CoD on that fight at all! AND, no Unholy Ascention either!

I wish I knew how to log this so I could post it. It's now a fun fight for me, and the only fight that is not fun and becomes annoying is the Cymre fight, as those full health returns are not fun to deal with. One is fine, but two is not easy.

Cluey
Pet Score:11369

Post by Cluey » August 23rd, 2016, 12:07 pm

Uduwudu wrote: When using them first and second, the Curse of Doom has been wiped by the Gladiators and I finally gave up wasting a turn on nothing
You need to explain more as I've never seen it not go off.
Later in the fight you could get it blocked, if you don't pay attention to the abilities getting used against you, but I've never seen it just get wiped.
There is already a Pet Combat log in the game, if you don't have a mod to let you copy text out you could get one or just take a screen shot of the log.

As for Cymre there are numerous ways of beating her with a carry pet, if your pets are limited you might have to choose a slower strat. I used to do it with a Ravager Hatchling but it was slow compared to Donna's strat in her great summary post.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » August 23rd, 2016, 4:23 pm

Cluey wrote: As for Cymre there are numerous ways of beating her with a carry pet, if your pets are limited you might have to choose a slower strat. I used to do it with a Ravager Hatchling but it was slow compared to Donna's strat in her great summary post.
I'll second this strat as it is pretty ingenious (full disclosure: I submitted it to Donna). You don't have a P/P emperor crab, but an H/H might work. You would have to test it out to see.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13853
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » September 4th, 2016, 11:38 pm

Jerebear wrote:
Cluey wrote: As for Cymre there are numerous ways of beating her with a carry pet, if your pets are limited you might have to choose a slower strat. I used to do it with a Ravager Hatchling but it was slow compared to Donna's strat in her great summary post.
I'll second this strat as it is pretty ingenious (full disclosure: I submitted it to Donna). You don't have a P/P emperor crab, but an H/H might work. You would have to test it out to see.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13853
I think I did this fight with a Fawn of some kind ... and the worst part was that I had to fight ... falling asleep!

Hikage
Top Rater
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Hikage » September 26th, 2016, 1:12 am

Biscuit wrote:The old Unborn Valk, Weebomb, carry pet strat still works.
All you have to do is add a consume corpse to your rotation.
Not sure what I could have been doing wrong, and I'm by no means awesome at pet battling, but it just took me 10 attempts in a row - yes, 10, I got stubborn - to beat Tarr with this strat both with and without Consume Corpse. For the most part, all that using Consume Corpse does is enable Deathy to get another stun in, at which point the health gained is lost again and it pointlessly drags out the fight for a few rounds. The first 9 tries Murkimus survived with about 200-300 health left every. single. time. Couldn't finish him off with the carry because I'm doing the Elekk Plushie achievement, but it really would have been the same with any other low level carry.
Even if it's still possible to beat Tarr with this strat, it just doesn't seem efficient or reliable at all to me. Get crits from Deathy, and Consume Corpse won't help at all. Get no crits on Murkimus, same thing. The only reason it seemed to finally work is because I got lucky on the latter. And that's not what I'd call a good strategy. :/

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » September 26th, 2016, 1:51 am

Update on Draenic Pups ([pet]Fel Pup[/pet], [pet]Lost Netherpup[/pet]).

With [ability]Howl[/ability] being changed, Deathy isn't killed fast enough to keep Fel Pup safe from the stun, but you can so swap the leveling pet instead.
It still worked for me, but I can't test the reliability due to the lack of repeatings.

If you swap pet later (when Murkalot goes into backrow the second time), crits are also important. There's a chance that your levelling pet goes into [ability]Shieldstorm[/ability] or the last safe round instead of the round inbetween.

At the last part, don't Howl when the weather is still up for obvious reasons. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Uduwudu

Post by Uduwudu » September 26th, 2016, 8:16 am

Wavsite wrote:I use the following:

[pet]Unborn Val'kyr[/pet] (B/B) with Shadow Slash and Haunt
[pet]Fossilized Hatchling[/pet] (P/S) with Bone Bite and BONESTORM
carry pet
The FH or Creepy Crate will do the same. Bonestorm is massive as it takes a chunk out of the other pets as well. I have been using the Creepy Crate at the front, and trying to get 2 Bonestorms done. Cast it, and then hand it to UV ... and come back for more, though one of the Gladiators will be dead by then.

One last bit ... for fun. There are two different UV's ... and you can use both with a Bonestorm and the fight is not hard, you just have to know when to switch so that you don't lose a Bonestorm to a Block. The other issue, is that for some reason, CoD gets erased when pets switch and I have not used it at all. With 2 UV's and a CC ... one of your UV's will be at half health easily enough. And you do not need to sacrifice one of them.

The timing of the Bonestorm is the difference, I think. 273 damage to 3 pets, and later 273 to 2 of them ... that's almost 1400 damage and one pet right there, and one of them pulls a big one and gets stuck "recovering", and you finish him, and that leaves one with about 1.1 or 1.2K health left. He tries to do you in one shot and you have too many hit points!

Two PC's in the bank!

The only fight I do not enjoy is Cymre. One complete and full health res is fine, but two is ridiculous and pathetic design in my book. Yeah, it should be a bit easier and all that, but in the end, but the number and difference between pets in this game is not so large and wide, as to help this fight. Unless you learn to play with the Fawn's and one or two other pets that also heal and dot, doing and learning this fight is very frustrating. Your favorites don't work and such! Be prepared with a cup of coffee just in case, btw ... With one of the fawn's or two (infected seems better) ... this fight is a bit long, but a good one. It's 150/200 points at a time and the first mob with its rez is about 3K hit points!

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 28th, 2016, 12:00 pm

For Tarr I used Lil' Kt and Macabre Marionette which worked every time. start with Lil' kt, curse of doom, siphon life, shadow slash, switch to carry pet, switch back to lil' kt, shadow slash until murkablo is dead, then one more shadow slash to remove murkalots block, curse of doom, lil' kt dies, in undead round shadow slash to remove murkimus' block, bring in marionette, siphon life, bone barrage, bone bite, siphon life, then spam bone bite until Murkimus dies, Murkalot dies to the curse of doom in the back line in the mean time.
Last edited by Klaital on September 28th, 2016, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.