Good 3rd member for Nightmare Whelp and Dread hatching?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ash_knacksum
Pet Score:1588
Realm:Draenor-eu
Good 3rd member for Nightmare Whelp and Dread hatching?

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 25th, 2016, 9:04 am

Ok so I managed to luckily get myself a nightmare whelpling yesterday and naturally want to build a team with her right away.. my thinking is to use her with my Dread hatchling as they are both call darkness users.

I am pretty new to pet battles though, and this would effectively be the first team I would be PvP'ing with just to get a feel.

Any suggestions on what could make this team work, please? I was thinking maybe Ghostly Skull or Sen'jin Fetish or something, but I do have a S/S Nightshade hatchling which I am dying to use (also I don't have the H/P skull, only H/H and H/B versions.. would it have to be the H/P skull?

thank you in advance, really any help here would be great.

EDIT: just leveling them up... the nightmare whelpling is incredibly strong and the nightshade guy is nuts as well. at the moment I am just using natures ward with him whenever I face something my main attack is weak against.. blinding poison, whip then natures ward after taking one hit and then you just heal yourself back until they are dead... I'm not sure if taking call darkness on all 3 of them is a bit OTT or not?

If any of you guys have experience with call darkness teams, I would seriously appreciate some notes. I have a lot of pets and really don't have the experience to be able to pick until I've played them... I am going to play all of them and find out what makes them tick, but a little helper now to get me going would be nice.... feel free to tell me to go and research it all myself you guys probably had to though... I understand you gotta work at something to understand it.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Good 3rd member for Nightmare Whelp and Dread hatching?

Post by Gráinne » September 25th, 2016, 11:50 pm

I can see the Nightshade Sproutling and the Dread Hatchling; it's the Nightmare Whelpling I'm having problems with.

In Darkness, Healing Flame is not great, so you're probably forced into Nightmare in the third slot. But Nightmare's damage is not spectacular because of its heal-suppression, which is probably not needed in Darkness anyway, so it's not the star it might have been. Playing the odds, at 244 you'll more often be slower, so Tail Sweep in the first slot - that Dragonkin racial might just kick in at the perfect time.

Three Call Darkness are not so much OTT as wasteful. The Sproutling is not affected by weather, so you can keep the heal, and Lash and Blinding Poison pick themselves.

Start with the Dread, CD-NS, swap to Sprout, blind, get the heal up, stall, swap to Nightmare when you have taken some damage, and heal Sprout on the back line while the Nightmare puts up CD again. Probably let the Nightmare Tail Sweep until it dies, come in with the Dread and CD-NS again. Dread dies. Sweep with Sproutling. Something like that?

Depending on opposing team, ofc - I can certainly see that you might start with the Sproutling to play head games with a Valk or Kid, since the Blind is your only avoidance. I'm not sure how best to approach an Imp. He has to swap you out before your first NS; you've nerfed his healing but you don't have a second NS in the team to take advantage of the Darkness. (Oooh, oooh, I want a Dread Hatchling/Bone Serpent :)) A Teroclaw will be faster than your Dread Hatchling and will be effectively Elemental. That's where your Nightmare Whelp might shine, starting against a Teroclaw, taking weak damage and being patient until the Dodge goes away.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 26th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Gráinne wrote:I can see the Nightshade Sproutling and the Dread Hatchling; it's the Nightmare Whelpling I'm having problems with.

In Darkness, Healing Flame is not great, so you're probably forced into Nightmare in the third slot. But Nightmare's damage is not spectacular because of its heal-suppression, which is probably not needed in Darkness anyway, so it's not the star it might have been. Playing the odds, at 244 you'll more often be slower, so Tail Sweep in the first slot - that Dragonkin racial might just kick in at the perfect time.

Three Call Darkness are not so much OTT as wasteful. The Sproutling is not affected by weather, so you can keep the heal, and Lash and Blinding Poison pick themselves.

Start with the Dread, CD-NS, swap to Sprout, blind, get the heal up, stall, swap to Nightmare when you have taken some damage, and heal Sprout on the back line while the Nightmare puts up CD again. Probably let the Nightmare Tail Sweep until it dies, come in with the Dread and CD-NS again. Dread dies. Sweep with Sproutling. Something like that?

Depending on opposing team, ofc - I can certainly see that you might start with the Sproutling to play head games with a Valk or Kid, since the Blind is your only avoidance. I'm not sure how best to approach an Imp. He has to swap you out before your first NS; you've nerfed his healing but you don't have a second NS in the team to take advantage of the Darkness. (Oooh, oooh, I want a Dread Hatchling/Bone Serpent :)) A Teroclaw will be faster than your Dread Hatchling and will be effectively Elemental. That's where your Nightmare Whelp might shine, starting against a Teroclaw, taking weak damage and being patient until the Dodge goes away.
thank you, will try a few variations then.. the nightmare whelp can always be replaced as well with something else if it's not going to be all that good for battling with.. It seemed really powerful leveling it up, but I guess that doesn't mean it will be great in PvP.. I have not maxed it out neither yet.

I could do something with the dread/bone serpent as well.. would you use H/H or P/S on the bone serpent? I'm not really sure what I'm doing with it yet so got 2 breeds.

what would you suggest as the middle guy for the sproutling and dread H then, please? I also got a forest hatchling in S/S and the sun one as well.. I realized later the sun version would have been better in P/P though as he's a healer... they are so cute though, and have REALLY big arms, did you notice? ha ha. I got the latter two cheap anyway and a guildie traded me for the nightshade as he didn't care about the breed.
Totally don't mind taking the new Whelpling out of the team if it's going to perform better, she will be great in PvE with how hard she seems to hit (maybe I had rose tinted glasses with her tho.. I mean when I first seen her moveset I thought it was nothing special and it's why I refused to pay a lot for her.. after playing with her it seems that she can hit really hard though so probably has some use in PvE.. do you think it's similar to the dark whelpling? I decided not to rush after that pet as this new one seems so similar to me at a glance.... also impossible to get any info on that pet, any info is just about farming it... this lead me to believe it must have been rubbish if no one was talking about it.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 26th, 2016, 8:49 pm

eventually just got my feline familiar, was already upgraded and leveled as well.. also got a cursed birman cos it looks cool :)

I got widget now too.... I think the cursed birman is gonna team up with the dread hatchling and nightshade sproutling now... you reckon I should still keep call darkness on the hatchling if it's on the cat?

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 27th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Sorry, my last message was a bit stream of consciousness, but towards the end I was getting to see that the Nightmare Whelpling could be rather a useful counter to the Teroclaw. The Teroclaw will do weak damage, and the Nightmare's healing reduction will suck for the Teroclaw's Elemental Ward.

Half the fun in pet battling is finding unexpected applications for pets, so don't give up on the Whelpling.

I did use the Cursed Birman in a Moonlight team once, with Spirit Claws, Spirit Spikes and Prowl. Prowl -> Spirit Claws in Moonlight was devastating, if my opponent let me get it in. Usually they didn't, though. :P