How are you guys lvling your pets right now?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Beastlyserenity
Pet Score:3133
Realm:Draenor-us
How are you guys lvling your pets right now?

Post by Beastlyserenity » September 14th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Before I used to do a pet lvling marathon when Squirt came to my Garrison, but is that still viable?
How are you guys lvling your pets now?

Uduwudu
Pet Score:11571
Realm:Draka-us

Re: How are you guys lvling your pets right now?

Post by Uduwudu » September 14th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Hi,

(sorry ... I have this malady ... I'm a writer!)

I have not seen Squirt at all ... and surprisingly enough I have never used this Pet to level anything, as he was gone before I found out about it.

From my point of view, most leveling has been nerf'd ... in most Battlemasters, and it is frustrating to see you take a low level, and at the end of the fight, it only gets 50 points of XP. There is only one of these that seems to work these days, and you can do her daily and level a pet about 5K points or so, which can be a few levels, and I use it to bring my pets from 15 and up. Anything from 1 to 12 or 13, is kinda boring and sick to not play it, and it means we're not interested in learning how to use it ... thus at the higher level, your flexibility in taking on other bigger Pets, usually suffer.

I found a lot of learning, specially with Pet Tracker on, which showed the spells the opponent was going to use, and it teaches you to time and play better. On bigger fights you make less mistakes and tend to play them better, specially as you learn to time, the avoidance with the big hits and turn the difference in your favor.

I use the level rocks to bring my pets to 22 or 23 (Critters have to be 23 for example) and then use them in battles in areas like the Vale, Townlong Steppes, Dread Wastes, and now some areas in Legion. In any of these fights, it means you are bringing up one pet each and every fight. Thus I average (let's say!) about 13 to 25 levels each day distributed around 146 Rare pets, and then I still have 94 Greens (No whites or grays anymore)(As of today, this number, BTW!). I do not "level" any greens, unless I end up using a Blue Rock to upgrade them, in which case they move to the other list which I maintain on a spreadsheet, so I know which ones to work on faster.

On the other thread about a spreadsheet, I explained what I did, which is likely to be considered a bit more than necessary, but it helps me stay focused on the right pets first, and then the rest, and not waste the rocks -- specially now -- that things got nerf'd so badly for Pet Battles.

The biggest change for me, was to make sure I only save/get Rares and Uncommons, and in general, the game does not offer Common and Poor that are not available in other forms, thus I rarely bother with those, with one glaring exception. Once in a while I find a S/S one or a B/B one that I have not been able to find before, and this one will get the next Blue Rock. This way, you can still get the best choices of each pet and their talents. Perfect example, was the Unborn Val'kyr ... at a time when it was a waste spending days and weeks and months to find one that mattered. I got a poor one the first time and had a Rare rock ready to go for it ... case closed.

My neighbor is not as organized, or at least as computer savvy in order to take a look at the spreadsheet, which to him looks like gibberish, and not meaningful, and I'm hoping that he learns to see that advantage. The pet search location offers a spreadsheet and you can clean it up from there, to your advantage, and the upside is that it teaches you what to level and where you need to be.

Hope this helps ... the ideas and stuff written out there is OK, but sometimes, I find it a bit out of touch with today, and the same goes for strategies, specially using the Pandaren Water Spirit with 2 bombs, but databases are not about its data and keeping it cleaned up ... and this makes for a lot of confusing ideas and thoughts.

In the end, this is about you, and how you look at things. Good luck and the very best to you.

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » September 14th, 2016, 11:23 pm

I'll wait til I get most all the revered rep pets and I'll do my old route of MoP and WoD trainers. Takes an hour, both pet XP food, but I do level 6 pets from 1-24 and finish them off with stones.

Angelcat2887
Pet Score:11102
BattleTag®:Angel2887#2347
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Angelcat2887 » September 14th, 2016, 11:54 pm

just a little reminder, if you are using both pet treats, dont forget to use the hat and get the buff from darkmoon faire (if its on) that 20% can really help.

i tend to buff as much as i can, get my pets to about lvl 20 then stone the rest of the way (i have a huge amount of stones atm) and i will try to do it on a toon that im lvling so they get some xp too.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 15th, 2016, 8:17 am

Squirt is back in EU, and coming to US next week, so save your laundry for then.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =3&t=16187

Sarajiel
Pet Score:5538
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Sarajiel » September 15th, 2016, 9:51 am

Beastlyserenity wrote:Before I used to do a pet lvling marathon when Squirt came to my Garrison, but is that still viable?
Yes.

Just do it on a character that hasn't reached 110 yet and you will also get a decent amount of XP for her or him. I get roughly 60% of a level per hour using the [pet]Bronze Whelpling[/pet] strategy.
Sarajiel's dose of nerd culture...

www.piratez.cc

The next novel will be out Soon™

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » September 15th, 2016, 11:14 am

Sarajiel wrote:Just do it on a character that hasn't reached 110 yet and you will also get a decent amount of XP for her or him. I get roughly 60% of a level per hour using the [pet]Bronze Whelpling[/pet] strategy.
I was going to do this but then I stopped myself. I started thinking this would be a bad idea with the mob scaling in Legion. Getting to level 110 and having an ilvl of 700 or so would make for some tough going out in the world of Legion.

Sarajiel

Post by Sarajiel » September 15th, 2016, 1:13 pm

I definitively agree that ilvl 700 characters without tank-spec will most likely have a very hard time questing at 110, but garrison pet battles make for a good filler between 102 - 107 on alts.

Personally I completely dislike leveling mages in WoW. All four of mine were originally either boosted to 80, 90 & 100 or afk'ed during the invasion event, so I'll probably use Jahan & Co. battle for that purpose and not Squirt. The birds go down in about 40s - 55s depending on RNG, compared to Squirts 90s while leveling pets.

www.piratez.cc

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 15th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Right now I'm leveling my pets the super slow way... going out in the world and hunting down rares and specific breeds. My capture team always includes a carry.

Once I get back into actually leveling pets hardcore, I'll also be leveling an alt so that'll be two birds with one stone.

Jaladar
Top Rater
Pet Score:13919
BattleTag®:Jaladar#11384
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Jaladar » September 15th, 2016, 5:03 pm

Squirt has been up since launch, was within first few days. I used her to level a few vendor pets I had gotten from Dalaran and worked great as always. I wanna say she should be back in the US on 9/21 off the top of my head, but could be mistaken.

Cardee
Top Rater
Pet Score:13784
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Cardee » September 16th, 2016, 2:34 am

My alt, who will not go into the Broken Isles unless there's a gear catch-up mechanism, does a daily circuit of the Draenor master tamers. She levels one pet from 1 to 25 this way. It's slow going, but it helps replenish my stock of pet charms.

Ravyn
Top Rater
Pet Score:6211
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Ravyn » September 16th, 2016, 5:05 am

Yesterday was Squirt day in the EU and I dedicated 3 one-hour long sessions of time to leveling some pets. I don't know if the Weebomination strat still works. Instead, I used an S/S Bronze Whelpling and my Spectral Tiger Cub. You can sub the Spectral Tiger Cub for Widget the Departed, as well. Tail sweep Deebs until he dies, then use Early Advantage on Tyri. Bronze Whelpling will die, and then bring in Spectral Tiger Cub/Widget. One Spectral Strike and Tyri is down. Bring in level pet, then bring back spectral tiger cub/widget and prowl > spectral strike. This fight only fails if you get bored and stop paying attention. One fight takes about 1 min 15s, give or take. It really depends on how much you pay attention to the fight.

Anyhow, I did this with a level 100 alt and with three one-hour sessions, I leveled 36 pets from 1-25 and my alt reached level 102. I also got to re-watch some Sherlock. Pretty decent. The only downside to this strategy is that the pets are pretty difficult/expensive to obtain (and it might fail if you zone out and tail sweep too long).

Vhale
MVP
Pet Score:10441
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Vhale » September 16th, 2016, 6:55 pm

I'm doing the MOP/Beasts of the Fable on an alt because I need the rarity stones as well as exp. The entire circuit nearly took her from 100-101, so I'll probably rotate alts a bit. I'm also concerned about hitting 110 on an ungeared alt, especially doing the solo artifact scenarios. I'll probably add in the WOD trainers because those 10 stones are mighty nice and maybe Tanaan on weekends. I do love those fel stones. I am missing several rare variants of the wild pets for Legion and WoD, so I'll hunt around and cap off some 23-24s doing that.

Hymmnos
Pet Score:3402
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Hymmnos » September 16th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Use the safari hat, it's literally free.
Part 1 (Level 1 Pet):
Battle Ashlei in Shadowmoon Valley
Slot 1: Death Talon Whelpguard (Shadowflame, Spiked Skin, Darkflame)
Slot 2: Lv 1 Pet
Slot 3: Irrelevant

Spam Shadowflame to kill her first dragon. She will swap to her Elekk Plushie. Use shadow flame then spiked skin. Her goat will open with stampede and will not harm you due to the reduction on Spiked Skin. Kill her goat then swap to your lv 1 pet on her Plushie. Swap back and kill it. Congratulations on your 4785 exp to lv 12 and 1/5 weekly for the 10 stones.

Part 2 (Pet that can tank 618 Humanoid Damage):
Battle Tarr the Terrible in Nagrand. You can easily reach here from outside your garrison with Aviana's Feather if you don't have flying.
Slot 1: Pet you want to level
Slot 2: Unborn Val'kyr (Shadow Slash, Curse of Doom, UA)
Slot 3: Graves (Skull Toss, Grave Destruction, Consume)

Tank the hit and swap to Valk. Spam Shadow slash on Deathy. UA on your death round, but be sure to take off the Shieldstorm buff first. Consume to survive and drop a lot of DPS with Graves. This will grant your level 12 pet 5198 EXP to level 16.

Part 3 (Pet that can tank 335-502 Flying Damage):
Battle Wispering Pandaren Spirit in The Jade Forest
Slot 2: Emerald Proto-Whelp (Emerald Bite, Emerald Presence, Emerald Dream)

Tank the first hit and swap to whelp. Keep up Presence and use dream when you drop to half health. Be careful of the cloud serpent's dragon buff. Your level 16 pet will gain 4813 EXP and reach level 20.

From there, feed it 5 stones or 1 fel-stone and you're maxed. 1-a-day.

Ash_knacksum
Pet Score:1588

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 17th, 2016, 9:04 am

at the moment I just take a level 3 in with me when I am farming a high level pet, I just switch the guy in and out and they normally only take one hit (if any) so they are fine.. I know there are faster ways using treats and doing pandaren dailies, but I find this is a good way to max out some pets... If you are going to be farming a specific breed in rare, it can take a while and that is a lot of XP. I leveled my clockwork Gnome almost to max this way, same with my terrible turnip just farming an unborn Val'k.
Hymmnos wrote:Use the safari hat, it's literally free.
Part 1 (Level 1 Pet):

Spam Shadowflame to kill her first dragon. She will swap to her Elekk Plushie. Use shadow flame then spiked skin. Her goat will open with stampede and will not harm you due to the reduction on Spiked Skin. Kill her goat then swap to your lv 1 pet on her Plushie. Swap back and kill it. Congratulations on your 4785 exp to lv 12 and 1/5 weekly for the 10 stones.

Battle Tarr the Terrible in Nagrand. You can easily reach here from outside your garrison with Aviana's Feather if you don't have flying.

Tank the hit and swap to Valk. Spam Shadow slash on Deathy. UA on your death round, but be sure to take off the Shieldstorm buff first. Consume to survive and drop a lot of DPS with Graves. This will grant your level 12 pet 5198 EXP to level 16.

Tank the first hit and swap to whelp. Keep up Presence and use dream when you drop to half health. Be careful of the cloud serpent's dragon buff. Your level 16 pet will gain 4813 EXP and reach level 20.

there are more pets with bone-toss, right? I really don't feel like ever farming graves tbh, but I have a plethoras of undead pets, they are all just level 1 pretty much, one or two I got at level 10 from AH and then my undead val'k is maxed out... I'm sure I read something about that move being on the little skellie raptor guy!? I have him for sure.

also which emerald proto whelp do you favour? I have both P/P and P/S in rare as both seems to be useful for different things.. some strats require him to be a bit faster so that's why I took the power/speed breed as well as the power/power.

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » September 17th, 2016, 9:34 am

I don't really have that many in need of leveling but I try to hit Ashlei every day, especially if I have acquired a new level 1 pet in order to get them leveled to where they can take a hit or two.

Other than that, when I have the time and enough pets that need leveling, I will just pop the hat and 2 treats and go on a trip around Panda Land.

Heriwald
Pet Score:4753
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Heriwald » September 17th, 2016, 2:55 pm

I level my pet since launch with my alts both to level pets and to speed up my alts' leveling.
I do only draenor dailies and pet battles with questing alts in brocken isles. I use specific stones and hoard generic ones. (Not sure why Ihoard them)

I use draenor dailies to push 2 pets from 1 to 20 everyday, sometimes 22 with the extra garrison one. You can easily take a lvl one pet with ashlei, gargra and the nagrand one.

I use only very common/ cheap pets except grave but replace it with webbomination. I can post my routine for draenor pets if you want.

Ash_knacksum
Pet Score:1588

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 17th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Hymmnos wrote:Use the safari hat, it's literally free.
Part 1 (Level 1 Pet):

where do I get the stones you mention that add levels? I got a few from bags and stuff, but is there a steady way of getting them like the flawless ones from the vendor? I am only up to northrend as far as trainers go, but I have my menagerie for getting pet tokens each day!

Sarajiel

Post by Sarajiel » September 17th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Ash_knacksum wrote:where do I get the stones you mention that add levels? I got a few from bags and stuff, but is there a steady way of getting them like the flawless ones from the vendor? I am only up to northrend as far as trainers go, but I have my menagerie for getting pet tokens each day!
You can either buy Flawless Battle-Training Stones or Mystery Bags that contain one or two family specific stones from Lio the Lioness or Serr'ah for your Pet Charms. Sometimes you also get stones from world quests. Fel-Touched Battle-Training Stones are a rare drop from the battles with the Tiny Terrors in Tanaan Jungle.

Typically those stones are best used for the last levels of a pet. In my opinion using any stone before level 20 is a waste unless you are swimming in them.

www.piratez.cc

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » October 17th, 2016, 11:59 am

Immer öfter und immer wieder

MoP

&

WoD

Tamerz

Anything else can go home.