up to date pet battle advice!?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ash_knacksum
Pet Score:1588
Realm:Draenor-eu
Re: up to date pet battle advice!?

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 9th, 2016, 10:10 am

Khorah wrote:Another thing to remember..
This should be fun.. My first team was Rocket Chicken, one of the harder to find dragons, and one of the murlocs (Murkablo maybe...)..
Was it a GREAT team.. no way.. I limped along for a while and got them to 25 with 1 switch when I found a blue Kun Lai runt .. but it WAS a lot of fun as they were some of my favorite pets :lol:

So yes, early on, just focus on what abilities are better against certain types of pets. I was well into a stack of 25's before I ever really looked at breeds.
And remember some pets have abilities that don't match their type. For example [pet]Chuck[/pet] who is an aquatic type of pet, has [ability]Rip[/ability] which is a Beast type of ability and [ability]Consume[/ability] which is an Undead type of ability. So you may be able to mix and match pet type and their ability type to overwhelm your opponent !

that is the beauty though, stuff like Jade owl that has a really sort of niche ability to completely ruin a certain type.

In pokemon you could obviously learn a lot more moves, so you could tailor each mon to perfectly syngerise with each other and also cover their own weaknesses with moves that counter what counters their type (also dual typing... headache man... I prefer battlepets as I don't have to dedicate your entire life to it to understand it)

What I was initially saying that I think was misinterpreted was thatr I check who I am facing next, then I pick a team especially to counter them, this means I am usualy leveling 3 new guys every trainer up to the trainers level. (I am currently working on elementals to fight a mechanical trainer) only problem with this is that every time a trainer is going to be a higher level, so what I was doing was just going back to ogrimmar and starting over with the new guys and leveling them till I can fight the trainer, moving areas as I level up, sometimes switching in one counter pet if I'm having a rough time in a certain area.
I should probably approach it like I did in pokemon though, add one guy who I need for the next fight to a team with my two highest level guys, then let him grab some xp from those fights and then rinse and repeat, this will probably be a lot faster.

and I really appreciate the method posted earlier, but is it really that much faster than putting a lowb in a higher level team and fighting wild battles? With this method I'm gonna have to go back to og and start catching and leveling pets I'm just going throw away afterwards.... It seemed like way too much for what it was to me... by this I mean flying to loads of areas IU've never heard of, probably are alliance turf and then catching pets that will be be obsolete in ten mins... if the point is to go and catch a strong crab, why don't I just do that? heck, I already have crabs (thats what she said) just not the really cool "blood in the water" ones, I also have turtles and tortoises and stuff too so I don't really see how that is going to help me.

I will watch it again if I can sit through it, but my ADHD probably will ruin that for me, anything under 720p and my brain just shuts off. (I can read books though, but they grab my attention in a different way. I'm not like some TV zombie or something, haha)

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 9th, 2016, 10:45 am

Ok, what I'm asking if we forget about the garrison stuff for now is regarding the old method video and getting the emperor crab.

I already have the first pets y=he farms like the turqoise turtle and I have 2 crabs I can use (no ghost) so should I just take them to the next stage of the video or something? I am watching it now, but I have to do it in pieces or I'll just zone out and miss it all.. I am really trying to take this in and appreciate all the help from you guys.

I submitted a ticket to see if I can get "Moloch" my Pygmy Owl back out of the cage.. I also asked about the stone I mis-used on the crow, although that one is an even longer shot.

I am sure I have spoke to them about caging before though as I did it on my troll hunter 3 years ago on bronze dragonflight I'm pretty sure, got a huge case of dejavu after I messaged the GM's.

EDIT: so it;s more a case of turtles (should be tortoise) having shield shell in the 2nd slot and using it against critters that have stampede. could I not just use anubasith idol and hydraling?

Anyway I have put a team together of magical crawdad, ghostshell crab and a turquoise turtle and gonna go out to ashara and follow the video. I realize that my two other shell users have to level quite a lot before they can use it, so I will probably pick up more tortoises and use them with my hydraling leader the pack as it is also a shell user (anubasith might be a better idea though really)

EDIT 2: I put in my H/H strand crawler instead of my crawdad as if the goal is to use shield shell, crawdad doesn't learn it till level 15 (he's still my favourite fishing buddy though)

thanks again for the video, will take it back to the start now I know ashara is literally right next to ogrimmar... haha sorry.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 9th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Ash_knacksum wrote:With this method I'm gonna have to go back to og and start catching and leveling pets I'm just going throw away afterwards.... It seemed like way too much for what it was to me... by this I mean flying to loads of areas IU've never heard of, probably are alliance turf and then catching pets that will be be obsolete in ten mins... if the point is to go and catch a strong crab, why don't I just do that?
You don't catch pets and then throw them away. You keep them, unless you want to sell or release them. No reason to release any pet if you don't want to, as long as you have room for it.

Khorah's advice was very good. You don't need a team with perfect counters to get through the first sets of trainers. Better to pick pets that YOU like and in most cases they'll work just fine until you get to about Northrend content, at which time you can just go out and get higher level wild pets if needed to do certain fights.

You're making this a lot more complicated than it is. I'm not sure if you're actually having fun like this?

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 9th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Ash_knacksum wrote:With this method I'm gonna have to go back to og and start catching and leveling pets I'm just going throw away afterwards.... It seemed like way too much for what it was to me... by this I mean flying to loads of areas IU've never heard of, probably are alliance turf and then catching pets that will be be obsolete in ten mins... if the point is to go and catch a strong crab, why don't I just do that?
You don't catch pets and then throw them away. You keep them, unless you want to sell or release them. No reason to release any pet if you don't want to, as long as you have room for it.

Khorah's advice was very good. You don't need a team with perfect counters to get through the first sets of trainers. Better to pick pets that YOU like and in most cases they'll work just fine until you get to about Northrend content, at which time you can just go out and get higher level wild pets if needed to do certain fights.

You're making this a lot more complicated than it is. I'm not sure if you're actually having fun like this?
I'm having fun, probably just sounds a lot more complicated than it is. I'm just leveling up pets, nothing really complicated about it....I initially posted asking about synergies to replace howl bomb for later on really. everything has been helpful though... it's just I already have turtles and crabs so didn't need to farm those first.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 10th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Ash_knacksum wrote:I'm having fun, probably just sounds a lot more complicated than it is. I'm just leveling up pets, nothing really complicated about it....I initially posted asking about synergies to replace howl bomb for later on really. everything has been helpful though... it's just I already have turtles and crabs so didn't need to farm those first.
Good! Strategy matters and I know this all seems very overwhelming at first, especially since you just started, but I guarantee it gets easier as you go along and get a feel for it. Sometimes just goofing around, you'll find something that works well for you that might become your "go-to."

And yes, howl bomb was super useful but I found I didn't use it nearly as often as guides would suggest. Unfortunately the changes made to the Pandaren Water Spirit pretty much killed the big final hit that was a key part of the set up.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 10th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Ash_knacksum wrote:I'm having fun, probably just sounds a lot more complicated than it is. I'm just leveling up pets, nothing really complicated about it....I initially posted asking about synergies to replace howl bomb for later on really. everything has been helpful though... it's just I already have turtles and crabs so didn't need to farm those first.
Good! Strategy matters and I know this all seems very overwhelming at first, especially since you just started, but I guarantee it gets easier as you go along and get a feel for it. Sometimes just goofing around, you'll find something that works well for you that might become your "go-to."

And yes, howl bomb was super useful but I found I didn't use it nearly as often as guides would suggest. Unfortunately the changes made to the Pandaren Water Spirit pretty much killed the big final hit that was a key part of the set up.
Yes, it seemed a bit much doing that to the moveset. I only just bought one a few days ago as well without knowing about the changes. Not really that much of a big deal though, it's probably still an alright pet, just wish it had an idle animation though, the ones that just stand there are creepy (LiL' bling)

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 11th, 2016, 3:38 am

The strategy relies on "trading up", instead of levelling one pet or set of pets. This is about getting one pet to 25, not levelling a team.

You start with a level 6 crab.

Using that you capture a couple of level 15 beasts.

Using those you capture a couple of level 15 crabs.

Using those level 15 crabs, you capture a 24-25 critter, weakened to 22-23.

You are constantly changing the pets you use, not keeping the same one.

But you'll get there anyhow, whichever way you want to do it.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 11th, 2016, 10:26 am

Gráinne wrote:The strategy relies on "trading up", instead of levelling one pet or set of pets. This is about getting one pet to 25, not levelling a team.

You start with a level 6 crab.

Using that you capture a couple of level 15 beasts.

Using those you capture a couple of level 15 crabs.

Using those level 15 crabs, you capture a 24-25 critter, weakened to 22-23.

You are constantly changing the pets you use, not keeping the same one.

But you'll get there anyhow, whichever way you want to do it.

Thank you so much for your help you lovely snow-person. A GM gave me back my level 25 owl this morning though so now I'm set, I could open up my other 25's, going to power-level like a normal person now... I will name something in your honour.

The video at least made me remember how much I like turtle and crab battle pets.. I'm definitely going to try and build a an aquatic mono-team now, but with some versatility in the moves like with your rotten little helper!

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » September 11th, 2016, 11:58 am

Mono-teams tend to have an obvious weakness, and my mind is not immediately jumping to a great Aquatic team.

A P/P [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] is one of the great tanks of the game, with its shield and heals - and Surge deprives many pets of their "strikes an extra time if you go first" advantage. And switching the Shell to a Whirlpool can be very effective.

Anything with [ability]Rip[/ability] plus [pet]Blood in the Water[/pet], like [pet]Snarly[/pet] or a [pet]Fen Crab[/pet], can do a lot of damage very quickly.

Frogs have just suffered what is to my mind an unnecessary nerf on [ability]Frog Kiss[/ability], but some of them still have clinch moves, like [ability]Bubble[/ability] and [ability]Mudslide[/ability].

[pet]Puddle Terror[/pet] and the [pet]Tundra Penguin[/pet] are interesting for their variety.

[pet]Moonshell Crab[/pet] ought to be interesting, but I've never found a place for it.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 11th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Gráinne wrote:Mono-teams tend to have an obvious weakness, and my mind is not immediately jumping to a great Aquatic team.

A P/P [pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] is one of the great tanks of the game, with its shield and heals - and Surge deprives many pets of their "strikes an extra time if you go first" advantage. And switching the Shell to a Whirlpool can be very effective.

Anything with [ability]Rip[/ability] plus [pet]Blood in the Water[/pet], like [pet]Snarly[/pet] or a [pet]Fen Crab[/pet], can do a lot of damage very quickly.

Frogs have just suffered what is to my mind an unnecessary nerf on [ability]Frog Kiss[/ability], but some of them still have clinch moves, like [ability]Bubble[/ability] and [ability]Mudslide[/ability].

[pet]Puddle Terror[/pet] and the [pet]Tundra Penguin[/pet] are interesting for their variety.

[pet]Moonshell Crab[/pet] ought to be interesting, but I've never found a place for it.
it was more just for fun than anything else, if I could make t viable it would a bonus.

So now I have 25's should I power level Anubasith idol? what else would be good for power leveling up first do you think, please? I will update my collection (not that you have to look at it, just general suggestions would be more than enough)

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 11th, 2016, 2:55 pm

so can I now start doing these (25 in 20 mins) guides?

thing is, they all require the hat and pet treats which I'm pretty sure you need to have already beaten the4m all to have, so again it;s not really for new players is it?

What would be the best way for me to level up my most useful pets fast please?

I do have a 25 dankmoon zep and scoother the snail and one of those pandaren trainers is supposed to be weak to them 2. I could maybe get in my crominius or idol and finish leveling them that way... only thing is I don't have the treats, or the hat so will this even work?

Should I just continue to beat all the trainers first from where I left off?

Meh.. sorry dudes, I'm a little lost now I've been thrust this far ahead.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 11th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Ash_knacksum wrote:Should I just continue to beat all the trainers first from where I left off?
Yes I think you should continue following the trainers quest line. It's good for teaching you strategy and some of the rewards are desirable too, the safari hat being a key item. Power leveling should really be done once you have the basics down and just want to level up massive amounts of pets.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 11th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Ash_knacksum wrote:Should I just continue to beat all the trainers first from where I left off?
Yes I think you should continue following the trainers quest line. It's good for teaching you strategy and some of the rewards are desirable too, the safari hat being a key item. Power leveling should really be done once you have the basics down and just want to level up massive amounts of pets.

What do I need to do for the hat, just beat a certain amount of trainers or something? I went back to leveling some elementals to use against the mechanical trainer.. I have some better elementals now so using the sandling as a sort of tank with the sunflower as a healer and pandaren fire spirit as my main damage (I do have the phoenix as well which is very similar)

also...

What are some good teams for using the elekk plushie? I have that guy at level 25, but not really sure what to do with him as he is just a damage soak, right? is he used to switch into nasty stuff or for when you want to heal the back line or something like that?

Gráinne

Post by Gráinne » September 11th, 2016, 8:22 pm

I already linked a post about my priority pets for a new battler:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15669

Here are the pets I mention there, as a list:
[pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet]
[pet]Chrominius[/pet]
[pet]Cornish Rex Cat[/pet]
[pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet] P/P breed
[pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] P/P breed
[pet]Darkmoon Tonk[/pet]
[pet]Feline Familiar[/pet]
[pet]Iron Starlette[/pet]
[pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet]
[pet]Nexus Whelpling[/pet] P/P breed
[pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet]
[pet]Pterrordax Hatchling[/pet]
[pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet]
[pet]Zandalari Anklerender[/pet] P/P or P/B breed

Yes, I would personally level the Idol first.

For the Hat, you have to defeat all the trail of tamers up to and including Aki, at the end of Taming Pandaria. The Pandaria tamers, which you can use for your 20-minute levelling, won't offer you a daily battle until you have beaten them all, including Aki. The Draenor tamers will, and they are about as efficient for levelling as the Pandaren ones. You can do the tamers without the Hat and Treat; it'll just be 20%-30% slower, but still vastly faster than wild battles.

The Plushie has no battling use. It is there to be cute, and to set up the achievement An Awfully Big Adventure http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9069/an-awfully-big-adventure

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 11th, 2016, 9:44 pm

Gráinne wrote:The Plushie has no battling use. It is there to be cute, and to set up the achievement An Awfully Big Adventure http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9069/an-awfully-big-adventure
My tip: do NOT even think about doing this achieve until much later. It's a huge pain and simply rewards you with a pet, whereas the quest chain rewards you with the safari hat which you'll find much more useful.

The Plushie's just cute and meant to be a challenge for advanced players to force them to carry a useless pet through all the tamers. You will not be able to effectively access all the tamers without doing the quest chain.

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 12th, 2016, 9:20 am

Peanutty wrote:
Gráinne wrote:The Plushie has no battling use. It is there to be cute, and to set up the achievement An Awfully Big Adventure http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9069/an-awfully-big-adventure
My tip: do NOT even think about doing this achieve until much later. It's a huge pain and simply rewards you with a pet, whereas the quest chain rewards you with the safari hat which you'll find much more useful.

The Plushie's just cute and meant to be a challenge for advanced players to force them to carry a useless pet through all the tamers. You will not be able to effectively access all the tamers without doing the quest chain.
I'm on to the 2nd part of the chain now (I think!?)

I just beat the guy with the Faerie dragon (he's like a cyclopean ogre-dude) and then caught myself a P/P first go (gray but hey, we have stones to make that guy better, he/she is a keeper)

Am I right in thinking I'm on the right track to getting my hat, please mate?

Regarding the plushie. I thought you could use it to be a dick in stall teams and stuff, just switch that guy out to eat punishment while your sunflower heals up the back row or something..
I am trying to collect pets like this as stall teams are always a fun change of tempo to play.. I also like call lightning teams as well.. do you think call lightning would be good with mechanical gnome to increase the damage on the turrets, or would I be better using stuff with stampede type moves? I heard about using the sunreaver micro sentry with the gnome and the anklerender is supposed to be good, but this was really old info TBH!

I have been using the Egyptian idol guy and Chrominius and then just changing out the other guy for whatever I am facing if I can predict it, switching round the moves on Chrominius when needed (he really is quite versatile as far as i'm concerned. I heard he was only good in howl bomb teams, but he holds his own while leveling, and the Anubasith guy just mocks everything it goes up against.. I was thinking about running my 2 craw dads with him just be a dick! ha ha.

Gráinne wrote:I already linked a post about my priority pets for a new battler:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15669

Here are the pets I mention there, as a list:
[pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet]
[pet]Chrominius[/pet]
[pet]Cornish Rex Cat[/pet]
[pet]Emerald Proto-Whelp[/pet] P/P breed
[pet]Emperor Crab[/pet] P/P breed
[pet]Darkmoon Tonk[/pet]
[pet]Feline Familiar[/pet]
[pet]Iron Starlette[/pet]
[pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet]
[pet]Nexus Whelpling[/pet] P/P breed
[pet]Pandaren Water Spirit[/pet]
[pet]Pterrordax Hatchling[/pet]
[pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet]
[pet]Zandalari Anklerender[/pet] P/P or P/B breed

Yes, I would personally level the Idol first.

For the Hat, you have to defeat all the trail of tamers up to and including Aki, at the end of Taming Pandaria. The Pandaria tamers, which you can use for your 20-minute levelling, won't offer you a daily battle until you have beaten them all, including Aki. The Draenor tamers will, and they are about as efficient for levelling as the Pandaren ones. You can do the tamers without the Hat and Treat; it'll just be 20%-30% slower, but still vastly faster than wild battles.

The Plushie has no battling use. It is there to be cute, and to set up the achievement An Awfully Big Adventure http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=9069/an-awfully-big-adventure

thanks.

I definitely heard that the ellie has function for stall teams though. using it while you heal other pets to just eat punishment as it has a huge stat pool.. was I being trolled? At least I only paid like 200g for mine at level 25 and blue.

I have at least half of those pets... I have a level 25 emerald whelpling, would that be a good stand in till I get the proto version? I know they have slightly different movesets, but I have been using the emerald one on dailies to success... also while fishing for nat pagle up at the kun-lai summit, I seen a legendary fish so I fought it and beat it, but it's still there.. can you farm XP from these guys or something? It was pretty tough though, took me 2 goes as I had to lead with the nocturnal strike combo with my raven, took it down with aforementioned raven, yellow moth and pygmy owl. definitely a touch fight though, even when I had the type advantage over it.

I need the nexus whelpling as well.. I take it these guys are rare spawns in the wild or something, like the unborn valk and mini onyxia's!?

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 12th, 2016, 11:06 am

Just reading back through the thread, how is a P/B anklerender better? I get it if in fact it is more power than you will ever need.. I was advised to for P/P on that guy though and all Raptors that have the option so I have 2 P/P anklerenders and 1 P/P knitebiter or something, it's pretty similar.. I could pretty easy find a P/B version, but I already have one on a team with a mechanical yeti and darkmoon monkey for critter/beast teams.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » September 12th, 2016, 12:38 pm

I guess that P/B has usage for these specific situations when your finishing attack is likely to overkill anyway and you'd still need a bit more health (note that beast passive promotes health management so the power still returns in an even nicer way).

If there was an H/P, it'd be more preferable.

But I'm a bit indifferent now, as I don't use Zandalari raptors as much anymore, with an exception of Royal Florets.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Ash_knacksum

Post by Ash_knacksum » September 12th, 2016, 8:52 pm

Paladance wrote:I guess that P/B has usage for these specific situations when your finishing attack is likely to overkill anyway and you'd still need a bit more health (note that beast passive promotes health management so the power still returns in an even nicer way).

If there was an H/P, it'd be more preferable.

But I'm a bit indifferent now, as I don't use Zandalari raptors as much anymore, with an exception of Royal Florets.
I just use 2 anklerenders in P/P.. the idea is to run them with something like a sunreaver micro sentry or tranquil yeti with something in the 3rd slot, not really sure yet. They are the easiest raptors to get with a good move set and have a pure breed so no wasting points... I know you guys are saying sometimes pure breed isn't best, but that goes against everything I have learned as in if it;s damage dealer and has a P/P option it's probably best, same for S/S for speedy types and H/H for a tank type roll. I'll be using my P/P's anyway as i don't feel like leveling them again in a different breed now really.. for the call lighting team P/P is probably best anyway as you gonna want to hit as hard as possible with the pack hunter move or whatever it's called.. the advice was a year old, but still I think I'll be fine with P/P breeds really.. Have been using them against stuff twice their level today and they did really well.

I used my darkmoon blimp with a gilnean raven and death adder hatchling earlier on the daily with the lil bling and the two draenei robots.. I only used that as I don't have many 25's.. I learned how to use decoy in between setting up call darkness, they actually make a good team.