Non-Howl Bomb Celestial Tournament Strat?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Valianya
Pet Score:2663
Realm:Arathor-us
Non-Howl Bomb Celestial Tournament Strat?

Post by Valianya » July 19th, 2016, 12:12 am

So, since Howl Bomb is being nerfed tomorrow...

Share some of your Celestial Tournament strategies that don't rely on that combo.

I have not actually done the tournament myself, so I have none to share. But I'm very interested in hearing what works for you, and what you plan to use during Legion.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Re: Non-Howl Bomb Celestial Tournament Strat?

Post by Paladance » July 19th, 2016, 1:39 am

Against Yu'la, any form of two-round avoidance except decoys and bubbles would work, with notable mentions of [pet]Mr. Bigglesworth[/pet] and [pet]Bonkers[/pet] (may have overlooked the breeds of the last one, however).

[url=http://www.wow-petguide.com/index.php?m=CelestialTournament&s=51&a=3]Aranesh[/url] has already collected many options, but they aren't cleaned up yet and some are high-random. But Xu-fu doesn't forget, and until the time comes, a conscious battler can still get their best and give them a nice continuation. :)

I wonder what about an [pet]Iron Starlette[/pet] and [pet]Fluxfire Feline[/pet], perhaps the breeds play too big role to give them a template.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » July 19th, 2016, 5:33 am

I only used Howlbomb against Chi-Chi, as a combination of laziness and reliability; so that's the only one I'd have to bring back to the drawing board.

vs. Xu-Fu: [ability]Call Lightning[/ability] + [ability]Flock[/ability] (any combination of pets)
vs. Yu-La: [pet]Bonkers[/pet], [pet]Mr. Bigglesworth[/pet] and [pet]Clock'Em[/pet] can solo it; so either, or a combination of them (just in case) is enough.
vs. Zao: Any "Voodoo" pet ([ability]Rot[/ability] + [ability]Wild Magic[/ability]), and something with [ability]Stampede[/ability].

I guess all of these are also vulnerable to Zandalari Raptors ([ability]Black Claw[/ability] + [ability]Hunting Party[/ability]), and you can probably apply a similar paradigm for Chi-Chi as well.
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!

Seyrine

Post by Seyrine » July 20th, 2016, 2:16 am

Hazelnuttygames has a guide on Youtube that isn't relaint on howlbomb. I think the hardest is Zao, Calfling of Niuzao. From her guides, I realized Mr. Bigglesworth can solo Yu'la:
1: Claw
2. Ice Tomb
3. Ice Barrier.
4: Pass
5: Claw
6: Claw
Repeat 1-6 until Yu'la's down.

Flow
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Flow » July 21st, 2016, 11:14 pm

Zao is the easiest. At least now with the howl method on Chi-Chi gone. Generally none of them are hard because it's one pet. I felt some of the first fights was harder to figure out. Only Yula can be a problem for those who don't have Bigglesworth. Her 50% boss dmg reduction is applied first, then her shield, so you don't do much dmg. But the Bigglesworth rotation fits like hand in glove.

Flow

Post by Flow » July 21st, 2016, 11:34 pm

What Vakeetah said, basically, although I do it a bit differently. Against Yula, if you don't have Bigglesworth, but have an SS Bonkers (not the easiest one to get) this pet has a +dragonkin attack, Haymaker, with 50% hit chance. Start with this and if it misses abandon and go again. In the second slot Bonkers has Dodge, and the SS breed is faster than Yula so it will protect for 2 rounds. I dind't manage to solo her with Bonkers but he went a long way.
edit: think the PS breed should work too

Flow

Post by Flow » July 21st, 2016, 11:52 pm

Against Chi-Chi a while ago I tried a HP Shimmershell Snail in anticipation of the howl nerf, with Ooze, Shield, and Dive. He took Chi down to well below half health. Once she was below 50% I planned to follow up with a Nexus Whelpling with Arcane Storm and Mana Surge but I got distracted and never went back. But it should work.
There are several other critters with the same moveset, although I think the Shimmershell has the best stats of them.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » July 22nd, 2016, 12:39 am

Another interesting pet that may help in beating Chi-Chi is [pet]Nether Roach[/pet], but these were ages since I've fought that one. :) Surely it didn't solo her, but perhaps can go to the half. ^^

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Revmrblacktn
Pet Score:8248
BattleTag®:mousemanic#1251
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Revmrblacktn » July 23rd, 2016, 6:40 pm

As a fairly new player, just at a year, I have been obsessed with pet collecting. I have worked hard to get over 600 unique pets and was working on the Celestial Tournament pets for the past 4 weeks, doing very well. I had researched, leveled and had good strategy for the battles and was successful. However, today when I went into the tournament, I had issues with each battle. Using the same strategy as before and not playing howl. Could it be due to the patch?

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » July 29th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Neither Howl Bomb, nor cheat-healing is required for Celestial Tour..
You don't even need duplicates of any pets..

Drlambda
Pet Score:5543
Realm:Arthas-eu

Post by Drlambda » July 30th, 2016, 10:13 am

So, after fiddling around for two weeks, i think i feel comfortable now with:

Chi-Chi: Rapana Whelk, Silkbead Snail, Scooter the Snail
Acidic Goo whenever he isn't debuffed, Dive whenever his Dodge is off cooldown (pass otherwise), Ooze Touch to fill. Repeat.
You might get away with another common snail instead of Scooter.

Xu-Fu: Tiny Twister, Lil' Bling, Darkmoon Tonk
Twister casts Call Lightning, Switch to Bling, Make It Rain, Inflation until Bling dies. Darkmoon Tonk: Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon.

Yu'La: Clock'Em, Bonkers (backup), A cold potato in my third slot
Dodge Lift-Off, Jab to Fill. Should Clock'Em die for any reason, do the same with Flipps. You may even use Tornado Punch whenever it is off cooldown.

Zao: Tiny Twister, Ikky, and anything hard-hitting to finish in case of Ikky death.
(Heal Twister before combat - Even though he shouldn't take damage, better be safe than sorry.) Twister starts with Bash to cancel Zao's charge, then Call Lightning. Switch to Ikky, Black Claw, Flock. This should be enough. If Ikky dies, use something like Darkmoon Tonk's Ion Cannon to finish.
CloseToZero - Watch me lose on youtube with bad pets! :D

Revmrblacktn
Pet Score:8248
BattleTag®:mousemanic#1251
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Revmrblacktn » July 30th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Here is what I have used since patch 7.0
Chi-Chi:
Unborn Val'kry Curse of Doom/Unholy Ascension
Crimson Geode Elemental Bolt / Amplify Magic / Feedback
Voodoo Figurine Rot (I haven't had to use him yet as Chi-Chi dies before I need to put him in)

Yu'la I used three rabbits which I give credit to a comment on Wowhead.

Still working on the other two pets.

The issue seems to be that after battling the three tamers, you have to work with the pets you have left. Which will vary from fight to fight.

Please keep posting what has worked for you, please. I have been able to use the combinations of various comments and post to come up with teams. Thanks.

Cymre
MVP
Pet Score:13644
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Cymre » July 31st, 2016, 5:12 am

It's been a while since I've ventured into the Celestial Tournament but you can check out all my strategies on [url=http://www.youtube.com/CymreJones]youtube[/url]. There are straight fights using three pets or Elekk teams so you may find something useful.
Blogger, YouTuber and Pet Tamer