looking for some help

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jamielanistr
Pet Score:808
Realm:Area 52-us
looking for some help

Post by Jamielanistr » June 20th, 2016, 1:28 pm

sorry if this is not in the right area.

im looking for some help with pet battles. i havent done much with them at all. i do have a few pets at lvl 25 but not alot.

i would like to be able to go out and start collecting a lot more pets and lvling them up to 25. but i have yet to get the safari hat.

every guide and video i have seen all require the hat and like a endless supply of buff food. and i have nothing.

can someone point me to like a bare basic starter guide.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: looking for some help

Post by Quintessence » June 20th, 2016, 5:24 pm

I recommend doing the main Pet Battle quest chain, if you haven't already.

Also, here's a handy general guide on Pet Battles that might help.

While you're completing the PVE encounters/quests, start battling the wild pets around you and capturing any rare wild pets you come across.

Pets on your active pet team will begin earning experience and start leveling up as you complete both PVE and wild battling/collecting activities.

To reach a point where other guides you've mentioned become relevant, you need to first have a few pets at max level (25). There are 2 ways you can accomplish this: Unlock the Menagerie in a level 3 garrison in Draenor, and complete the quest that rewards a battlestone that instantly levels one pet to 25. Or complete the activities I mentioned above.

Unfortunately you can't just buy level 25 pets and add them to your collection. You must first have a level 25 pet in your Pet Journal in order to learn other max level pets. Once you've leveled your own 25, you can buy other pets from the AH. If you don't want to wait and grind out the pet experience, that is.

As for the pet food and Safari Hat -- you don't absolutely need them, they just make the leveling process go faster. You can collect and battle without them, and you pretty much have to when first starting out in Pet Battles.

TLDR; Main goals in the very beginning (at least IMO):
  • Complete the Pet Battle PVE quest chain as far as you can go (unlocks achievements that unlock more content/pets/items)
  • Battle wild pets for experience
  • Capture any rare quality wild pets you come across
  • Get one pet or a few pets to level 25.
I suggest leveling up a mechanical pet, a beast pet, and a flying pet first since you'll most likely run into wild pets that those 3 families are strong against.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jamielanistr
Pet Score:808
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Jamielanistr » June 20th, 2016, 11:23 pm

thanks for that info it looks great and all.

but i think i have just decided to not do pet battles. from what i have gathered so far is i need to have at least 1 of every kind of pet from each of there pet families all maxed out at lvl 25 just to fight the trainers. and some of them you need like 2 of 1 kind.

i guess i just dont have the paitence for doing that. lol

but good luck to everyone else that is here and who enjoys doing the pet stuff.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » June 21st, 2016, 12:22 pm

I think we've scared you off prematurely. :) You're already almost there.

I know that levelling even one pet seems like a big hill to climb at the moment, but it gets progressively easier.

I see you are all the way up the tamer chain into Pandaria, and when you finish that you will have the Hat and the ability to do those tamers daily. You can level a pet from 1-25 in 20 minutes a day thereafter. And then you have Draenor, which is even easier. And the Garrison gives you vast amounts of Pet Charms you can use to help level and stone pets.

You can also buy pre-levelled 25s if you want a faster boost for your roster.

Anyway, there's a lot to do when starting pets, and that's a GOOD thing, because it means you don't run out of things to do for quite a while.

Do you have a clear sense of what it is you are expected to do next? The initial journey to having a fully fleshed out roster is actually excellent. Take it one tamer at a time. For example, you should easily be able to take Hyuna mostly with your Idol. You DON'T have to use the teams the guides suggest. MANY possible teams will work against them. The teams the guides suggest are optimised teams for beating the tamer with two level 25 pets while carrying a third, but while working your way up the chain you can and almost certainly will beat them using three level 25s.

Do you want suggestions for how to get the Hat, starting from where you are?

Do you have a Menagerie in your Garrison? You can get buff food from there.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 21st, 2016, 3:17 pm

Gráinne wrote:I think we've scared you off prematurely. :) You're already almost there.
Ah, sorry if my initial feedback was overwhelming. It's not as bad as it seems!
Gráinne wrote:I know that levelling even one pet seems like a big hill to climb at the moment, but it gets progressively easier.
This! Pet Battles is a little slow to get started, but once you reach a certain point (Pandaria) you can quickly get into a steady pace.

To add to Gráinne's great summary, what do you want out of Pet Battles [profile]Jamielanistr[/profile]? There are different goals to aim for, and different ways of reaching those goals. Depending on what your end goal is, you can streamline the process to fit your desired gameplay.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » June 26th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I wonder if the OP has misinterpreted something? He already has Blue 25s of almost all families anyway.

I wonder if he has the wrong idea, and thinks he needs all species?

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » June 26th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Bottom line, you either enjoy pet collecting and battling or you don't. Wonder of World of Warcraft, something for everyone.

I have to suspect that their ripping off Pokémon has kept whole lot of players still sending them 15 bucks every month when the Dungeon and Raid fans have packed it in until Legion. Personally I love it. For me, doing turn-based strategy instead of frantic running and hitting and dying and rezzing is lot more fun. But I have high tolerance for the tedious--yeah, it's tedious--grind to find wild pets, hold off for the rare ones, build and level the collection, scrape up the G to pick some off the AH, and eventually have a selection that'll handle most any situation.

If this isn't for you, don't do it. Lots more activities available.