The One Million Gold Pet

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us
Re: The One Million Gold Pet

Post by Axarien » May 30th, 2016, 11:17 pm

I'm really not a fan of the massive price. Historically, that has seemed more like a mount thing, and I hate to see it extending to other types of vanity items. Pet collecting and the community has always had more of a focus on the collection part, and the mounts have been more for status (raid & PVP achievements, etc.)

Frchorknabe
Pet Score:8870
Realm:Khaz'goroth-eu

Post by Frchorknabe » May 31st, 2016, 9:34 am

Adumbledore wrote:Putting the price at 1m gold, though? That's putting it WAY out of reach for a good majority of people.
But that's always been the case: the Traveler's Tundra Mammoth cost 20k at a time when the gold cap was ~200k - a number I never thought I'd be able to reach - i.e. 10% of the cap.
The Grand Expedition Yak costs 120k for a gold cap of 1M - another number I never thought I could reach - or 12% of the cap.
Putting this pet at 1M when the gold cap rises to 10M puts it at 10% as well.

And as to actually reaching these numbers? I've never been a hardcore gold maker, but started WoD with 200k, spent more than 1M in WoD alone, and sit at 500k right now. So unless Blizzard significantly changes how one can make gold (unlikely given the token), it will become easier to amass gold, hence also easier to buy that pet.

Would I do it? Not for a pet!
Adumbledore wrote: If they want to make the Mad Merchant really mad and interesting, what they should do is have the price change at random intervals so it could be 1m at one time, but the next time you come, it could be 200k. Or it could be 1.5m. You never know. Waiting to see what the price could be when it changes could work in your favor or it could punish you for waiting so long. I think more people would buy the pet if they knew there was a chance of being able to get it at a lower price tag.
Interesting idea but then it becomes a bit like gambling the BMAH, and if the pet were cageable, Blizz would risk a rich-get-richer scenario.
Axarien wrote:I'm really not a fan of the massive price. Historically, that has seemed more like a mount thing, and I hate to see it extending to other types of vanity items.
"Historically", the first gold sinks were those sold by Harris Pilton, if I remember correctly - a large bag and several "pure" vanity items that will become toys in Legion, making them almost mandatory if one wants the toy-achievement-mount. Especially the bag couldn't even be seen on your character, it only manifested as an achievement later on (which is also when I bought one of them). It is true that mounts became the big money items when Wrath came out yet I have to admit that back then I bought several for the achievement and then sold them back so save some money, so mount=vanity item is also relatively young equation.

Frchorknabe
Pet Score:8870
Realm:Khaz'goroth-eu

Post by Frchorknabe » May 31st, 2016, 9:39 am

Drudatz wrote:
Paladance wrote:I've seen today an Unclaimed Black Market Container going for 140k.
Some people just want to see themselves victorious over the others, no matter the costs. :P
Are you pretending really to be that silly to NOT KNOW that these containers are the ONLY WAY now
to get the MOP CM pet if you havent gotten it in MOP? :?
I suspect that the reason people drop that much gold on the Black Market Containers has more to do with a number of rather rare mounts that can be contained within, particularly the Plagued Proto Drake and X-51.

Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Africanleopard » May 31st, 2016, 10:51 am

Frchorknabe wrote:
Drudatz wrote:
Paladance wrote:I've seen today an Unclaimed Black Market Container going for 140k.
Some people just want to see themselves victorious over the others, no matter the costs. :P
Are you pretending really to be that silly to NOT KNOW that these containers are the ONLY WAY now
I suspect that the reason people drop that much gold on the Black Market Containers has more to do with a number of rather rare mounts that can be contained within, particularly the Plagued Proto Drake and X-51.
Well, :oops: , I never knew that. I learned something new today.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 31st, 2016, 2:32 pm

Drudatz wrote:
Has this actually been proven or is it still a rumor? (Yes I know I can go read up on wowhead, just lazy/curious.) ;)
Africanleopard wrote:
Frchorknabe wrote: I suspect that the reason people drop that much gold on the Black Market Containers has more to do with a number of rather rare mounts that can be contained within, particularly the Plagued Proto Drake and X-51.
Well, :oops: , I never knew that. I learned something new today.
The containers can contain anything that's available via BMAH - so yes you could possibly walk away with Invincible for 10k... or you could walk away with PVP plate bracers on a clothie toon for 100k. I've talked to a few people who've taken the gamble on these but none of them have gotten "super lucky" - I think the best thing someone reported was a PVE ring that was an actual upgrade for their toon.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 31st, 2016, 3:33 pm

Right now I'm leaning towards no, I will not be buying this pet. At least not until the very end of Legion or something. When I have absolutely NOTHING else to collect and I've accomplished all of my pet-goals for the expansion, then I'll probably work towards buying the calf.

If it had a unique model, I might reconsider. But the same model with a new-ish skin (I mean...we kind of already have the Celestial Dragon) isn't worth 1 million gold (approximately $400 in WoW tokens at current token price) in my opinion.

The thing about the mounts that were expensive relative to the gold cap at the time in the past is that they were unique and/or had a unique function. This pet isn't exactly unique. And while it will have function (I'm sure someone will find a spot for it in pet battles), I don't think that makes it special enough to warrant that high of a price tag.

Side note: Pet is Bind on Pick Up and cannot be caged.

Peanutty wrote:Has this actually been proven or is it still a rumor?
RE: BMAH containers and the [pet]Thundering Serpent Hatchling[/pet] - Yea, I've read reports that it's dropped for multiple people from the box. It needs to be a specific box though, with a specific ID (the BMAH containers have different item IDs, depending on the expansion that they were implemented).
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 31st, 2016, 4:07 pm

Quintessence wrote:
Peanutty wrote:Has this actually been proven or is it still a rumor?
RE: BMAH containers and the [pet]Thundering Serpent Hatchling[/pet] - Yea, I've read reports that it's dropped for multiple people from the box.
Well there's a true gold sink. I couldn't imagine the amount of gold and RNG you'd need to get that particular pet, considering the boxes I've seen are often going for over 100k nowadays.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » June 1st, 2016, 4:14 am

Drudatz wrote:
I had absolutely no idea of that either. Does that make me silly too??

Your tone is a tad condescending actually.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » June 3rd, 2016, 4:06 pm

So first and foremost, for everyone complaining about the price you should give this video a view [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkUX6Zapwo[/url]. He goes over general inflation and honestly, the prices seem about right to me.

Having said that, my only gripe with the pet and mount is that neither of them are interesting. The spider mount should be able to climb walls...or something...I dunno. Have a special bag on it that you can loot once a day with some special item..

Plenty of room for creativity.

As for the pet, I actually think it's a neat looking pet, but for that price I still think it should have some sort of unique interaction (Alterac Brew-Pup anyone?).

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 5th, 2016, 6:34 pm

Badpathing wrote:So first and foremost, for everyone complaining about the price you should give this video a view [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkUX6Zapwo[/url]. He goes over general inflation and honestly, the prices seem about right to me.
I don't have any particular issue with the price of the mount. There are always seemingly insanely expensive mounts. It's always been more of an "elite" type thing to collect. Pets, on the other hand, have always been far easier and unless a pet was promotional or from removed content, it's always pretty low-key and most people can fairly easily get anything that they set their mind to. The price on the pet is really pretty hard to justify, given how pets have been historically treated on vendors. No pet should ever cost close to that much. And this one isn't even all that special to warrant even a more reasonable premium price tag, as has been pointed out.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » June 6th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Gilneas wrote:
Badpathing wrote:So first and foremost, for everyone complaining about the price you should give this video a view [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkUX6Zapwo[/url]. He goes over general inflation and honestly, the prices seem about right to me.
I don't have any particular issue with the price of the mount. There are always seemingly insanely expensive mounts. It's always been more of an "elite" type thing to collect. Pets, on the other hand, have always been far easier and unless a pet was promotional or from removed content, it's always pretty low-key and most people can fairly easily get anything that they set their mind to. The price on the pet is really pretty hard to justify, given how pets have been historically treated on vendors. No pet should ever cost close to that much. And this one isn't even all that special to warrant even a more reasonable premium price tag, as has been pointed out.
I suppose the problem I have with that position is it sounds an awful lot like resistance to change. Just because you have never seen an expensive vendor pet, doesn't mean there should never be one. I think associating pets with a bit more prestige actually helps the pet content, but that's just me. As for it being hard to justify, how do you figure? You can neither justify against or for the price, as it's completely contingent upon subjective tastes.

I mean, where was it actually agreed upon that pet collecting is a very specific demographic? There are all types of people who collect pets just like mounts.

*edit*
Also, and it just occurred to me, I sold many, many TCG pets for excess of $300k gold back at the start of MoP. I'd estimate with inflation that it exceeds the $1m cost for the new pet. And again, that is a price people were willing to pay..and without the dupe issues, the prices would probably still be quite high.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 8th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Badpathing wrote: I suppose the problem I have with that position is it sounds an awful lot like resistance to change. Just because you have never seen an expensive vendor pet, doesn't mean there should never be one. I think associating pets with a bit more prestige actually helps the pet content, but that's just me. As for it being hard to justify, how do you figure? You can neither justify against or for the price, as it's completely contingent upon subjective tastes.
And you would be 100% and totally wrong. But it's ok to have wrong opinions.

Since your first reaction was to insult me for choosing to disagree with you, I see no reason to pursue this further.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896

Post by Quintessence » June 8th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Badpathing wrote:As for it being hard to justify, how do you figure? You can neither justify against or for the price, as it's completely contingent upon subjective tastes.
I agree that pet desirability is subjective. However, I think everyone can agree that a BRAND NEW model and skin would justify a higher price tag because 'completely new' is not subjective.

Whether or not the new model and skin is to each individual's liking would be a different matter. It would not remove the fact that the pet would be absolutely new and unique (for the time being at least).
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » June 8th, 2016, 10:46 pm

I do agree, the issue for me is that to demand a price this high the pet or mount needs to be unique and cool. Reskins and uninteresting models shouldn't command a high price - that's what we have super hard achievement rewards for :lol: - sorry, couldn't resist that little jab at Blizzard.

If the item is so dull that people for whom this amount isn't all that significant still have no interest in it save for eventual fanatical completionism... That seems to me to be a problem with either the pet being too meh, or the price being too high for that pet. I mean I'll get it eventually either at the end of the expansion or early next expansion, but I'm more excited about even the wild pets than the 1m gold sink. Does that sound right? Because to me that sounds like you might as well make an animated turd pet and sell that for 1m gold knowing people will get it just to cross it off their list no matter what.

Actually, I'd be really excited about an animated turd pet. Like, I'd get that the moment I could reach the vendor.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » June 9th, 2016, 9:42 am

Ishildur wrote:Actually, I'd be really excited about an animated turd pet.
[pet]Filthling[/pet] is a dropping from a filthy NPC on Isle of Thunder D=

Also: A celestial pet would've been a great RwL IV (Ulduar) companion, though not a hippo. Maybe that Rabbit, huh?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » June 9th, 2016, 10:13 am

Paladance wrote:

Also: A celestial pet would've been a great RwL IV (Ulduar) companion, though not a hippo. Maybe that Rabbit, huh?
Nono no I want a real poop pet not the blob type. We're talking like the poop emoji in 3d and animated with a little stench particle effect and smiling widely, a pet that there can never be any question what it is. It will never happen of course, but I'm sure they'll make it up to us by adding 12 more moths.

Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Africanleopard » June 9th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Ishildur wrote:
Paladance wrote:

Nono no I want a real poop pet not the blob type. We're talking like the poop emoji in 3d and animated with a little stench particle effect and smiling widely, a pet that there can never be any question what it is. It will never happen of course, but I'm sure they'll make it up to us by adding 12 more moths.
I would totally get a turd pet. I think one of the oozelings has a "debuff" it gives you - something about not smelling nice if you hover of the icon. i thought it was priceless.

Re moth comment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mibeerlover
Top Rater
Pet Score:5677
BattleTag®:BlueOpossum#1815
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Mibeerlover » June 9th, 2016, 4:09 pm

I hate that I want it and I have no idea how I'm going to raise that much money. I'm also all for the turd pet lmao.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » June 10th, 2016, 1:28 am

I don't get that hate for moths -- rats and otters are in a worse condtition.

How about an installment plan for his items in general? I don't have a mind right now for thinking about the details but it's more a joke anyway. :D

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 11th, 2016, 6:13 am

Paladance wrote:I don't get that hate for moths -- rats and otters are in a worse condtition.

How about an installment plan for his items in general? I don't have a mind right now for thinking about the details but it's more a joke anyway. :D
Something like that be cool. Say you have to do some "dailies/chores" for this vendor to get the pet cheaper.
Like collect a lot of mats, drops from bosses in dungeons and raids, drops in pvp etc...
If one is to lazy to do all that they can pay the full price. So it makes it a choice on the player and gives us something to do.
Win/win scenario.