Level 1-100, Horde Mode: Any Suggestions?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu
Level 1-100, Horde Mode: Any Suggestions?

Post by Kurasu » May 15th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Because I am a person with a lot of time on my hands and lack of a life in general, I decided to get a level 1 teleported directly from the intro area into the 'safe zone' in Shadowmoon Valley and pet battle until she was level 100.

Long story short: 7 days and 7 hours of /played time later, I have a level 100 (and a ton and a half of level 25 pets, of course).

This led me to wonder: is there a similar spot for a Horde to be able to do it? I know I can level off low level pets (with all new low level pet teams), but I'm shooting for pets of level 20-25 that would be in a 'newbie safe' area.

The one on Shadowmoon beach is filled with Draenei that hate Horde (or rather, primarily it's their pet Talbuks that are the more annoying problem), so that's not an option. Anywhere else that's so far away from high level enemies that a level 1 (well, level 13; I made a goblin) could kill stuff without pulling enemies from miles around? Either an enemy-free zone (with lots of battle pets) or an area with all neutral stuff that won't try to eat me.

Kiella
Pet Score:13796
BattleTag®:Elena#1284
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Re: Level 1-100, Horde Mode: Any Suggestions?

Post by Kiella » May 15th, 2016, 6:24 pm

I leveled my Horde char through pet battles in the old spot around Farmer Nishi (MoP pets so they're still lvl 23-25) until she was 90, then just moved to Frostfire Ridge. Occasionally it got a bit crowded, but most of the time it was quite efficient.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » May 15th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Wasn't sure what the problem was till I realized Emerald Dream must be a PvP realm.

Unlike Shadowmoon, Frostfire doesn't seem to have areas with lots of wild pets but no predators. I've found a few safe-for-lowbies locations with up to 8 pets, don't know how fast they'd respawn.

Unfortunately always players with low self-esteem that happily kill flagged hordies that are dozens of level lower than them so the Pandaria safe-zones like Farmer Nishi's means good chance of running into them.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » May 16th, 2016, 12:42 am

No, it's Normal (PvE). :)

While I level my Alliance character mostly in Pandaria, going from the Shrine to the [pet]eternal strider[/pet] spot on the east, I can imagine than the other Shrine could be not so safe to leave.

Talking about Draenor, there's a spot near Gargra the tamer (pardon the HN mess):

[url=http://s32.postimg.org/4m3dvrr83/gargra.png]Image[/url]

Note: Thanks to @Ismenot, I know that Draenor Pathfinder unlocks flying even for characters below 90.
Whether it requires Expert Riding or not, I don't know, though I'd be surprised if it didn't. :mrgreen:

Have a good one. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Ranok
MVP

Post by Ranok » May 16th, 2016, 4:40 am

Paladance wrote:No, it's Normal (PvE). :)
Then I don't understand what the problem is. Experimented with a Tauren and he doesn't get attacked on Shadowmoon Beach, in fact can pet the Talbuks. Admittedly is a level 100 but can't believe that would make any difference with a non-flagged character. Reason I suspected he was on a PvP realm.
Paladance wrote:Note: Thanks to @Ismenot, I know that Draenor Pathfinder unlocks flying even for characters below 90.
Whether it requires Expert Riding or not, I don't know, though I'd be surprised if it didn't. :mrgreen:

Once anyone on your account unlocks Flying, any other 60+ toons with flying can fly in Draenor. I have a couple of mid-60 characters regularly doing 5 of the pet trainers there.

Kurasu
Top Rater

Post by Kurasu » May 16th, 2016, 7:58 am

Ranok wrote: Then I don't understand what the problem is. Experimented with a Tauren and he doesn't get attacked on Shadowmoon Beach, in fact can pet the Talbuks. Admittedly is a level 100 but can't believe that would make any difference with a non-flagged character. Reason I suspected he was on a PvP realm.
Nope. PvE (unless I accidentally got pulled into a PvP realm with friend groups; I grabbed a couple Horde pals in order to get teleported to the beach as my main is Alliance) but that shouldn't interfere with the locals' reactions. My level 100 goblin was getting attacked by folks when I ran through and around the groups in order to make sure of things (because they were red and attack_OK, so I wanted to make sure they weren't directly aggressive). The comment about talbuks is that while the *Draenei* didn't show any interest in me, the *talbuks* would aggro when I ran through them, and when they aggroed, their friends would.

I'll check it out with my goblin solo and see if it was PvP vs PvE. But yeah. PCs aren't an issue. It was the NPC group.
Kiella wrote: I leveled my Horde char through pet battles in the old spot around Farmer Nishi (MoP pets so they're still lvl 23-25) until she was 90, then just moved to Frostfire Ridge.
This'll probably be the best option. I hoped to be able to find a spot around/near one of the epic pets in Outland for this exact reason (since most of them have 'friends' around them that respawn fast) but everywhere I peeked, they seemed to be close enough to aggro mobs. For some reason I think I forgot about Farmer Nishi, though. Probably because I rarely leveled on them (even though most people suggest it) because I always had more than enough critter stones.:D

Ranok
MVP

Post by Ranok » May 16th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Kurasu wrote:Nope. PvE (unless I accidentally got pulled into a PvP realm with friend groups; I grabbed a couple Horde pals in order to get teleported to the beach as my main is Alliance) but that shouldn't interfere with the locals' reactions. My level 100 goblin was getting attacked by folks when I ran through and around the groups in order to make sure of things (because they were red and attack_OK, so I wanted to make sure they weren't directly aggressive). The comment about talbuks is that while the *Draenei* didn't show any interest in me, the *talbuks* would aggro when I ran through them, and when they aggroed, their friends would.
Another try with a horde toon, an unflagged 100 BE, confirms that yeah, that's not a safe place for horde. Seems like have to get very close to aggro either the Draenei or the Talbuks but then you do get mobbed. Sorry for my misleading information.
Kurasu wrote:For some reason I think I forgot about Farmer Nishi, though. Probably because I rarely leveled on them (even though most people suggest it) because I always had more than enough critter stones.:D
Alternative to Farmer Nishi area is Temple of the Jade Serpent in Jade Forest. No critters. Good supply of snakes and turtles here and safe for any level long as you stay inside the walls. Can also safely (usually) run a little ways out the front gate and fight Trainer Hyuna. Only once had an under-10 level get jumped by a fox I hadn't seen that was under the bridge.

Sazalla
Top Rater
Pet Score:13660
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Sazalla » May 16th, 2016, 1:52 pm

I leveled my hordie up around Valley of the Four Winds, just because I enjoyed the area, but there are areas of Frostfire that have a lot of battle pets and no aggro nearby just north of the garrison. If you walk out of the garrison just past the pool of lava on the right there are two large rock formations with a goodly amount of pets around the base of each. You should be able to do the road side of these rocks without attracting unwanted attention. There are wandering pigs on the 'wild' side of the rocks which may bother you at young ages. I was able to pet battle all the way around them at 90 without incident.

Good battling to ya!

Sazalla

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » May 17th, 2016, 6:57 am

If I remember correctly there are tons of critters and flyers in Frostfire Ridge. You can freely fight them without adding anything right were the Garrison would be, since you're in phasing and there are zero enemies.

Ranok
MVP

Post by Ranok » May 17th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Shingetsu wrote:If I remember correctly there are tons of critters and flyers in Frostfire Ridge. You can freely fight them without adding anything right were the Garrison would be, since you're in phasing and there are zero enemies.
At first thought you were wrong, remembered flying a 67 Blood Elf over the Frostfire garrison site a few weeks ago and seemed to be whole bunch of bad guys there. Did some testing, and it starts getting interesting.

Flew an 87 Ally rogue over the site this afternoon and it's just as you described. Pets everywhere and no dangers. Checked again with the Horde BE and place has zero pets and lots of 89-90 Ravagers and Gronnlings and Rylaks, the ones Horde has to fight as part of the garrison building questline.

So indeed phased, but phased differently for Alliance and Horde.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » May 18th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Ranok wrote:Did some testing, and it starts getting interesting.

Flew an 87 Ally rogue over the site this afternoon and it's just as you described. Pets everywhere and no dangers. Checked again with the Horde BE and place has zero pets and lots of 89-90 Ravagers and Gronnlings and Rylaks, the ones Horde has to fight as part of the garrison building questline.

So indeed phased, but phased differently for Alliance and Horde.
Doesn't it imply that Horde characters can find such a place in Lunarfall itself?

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Ranok
MVP

Post by Ranok » May 18th, 2016, 1:00 pm

Paladance wrote:
Ranok wrote:Did some testing, and it starts getting interesting.

Doesn't it imply that Horde characters can find such a place in Lunarfall itself?
Flew a Horde toon to the Lunarfall site today and similar situation, with a few differences. A few level 90 hostile Alliance guards nearby. Biggest difference is that there are no battle pets here while Horde garrison site has lots of them for Alliance toons.

Bellaryl
Pet Score:4595
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Bellaryl » May 24th, 2016, 4:40 pm

OMG, I think I have something to add here! :D

So...a while ago, I made a post that spoke directly to this. I leveled 5 toons (4 horde, 1 alliance) from 90-100 on pet battles alone, and all in Draenor.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =3&t=14446

My strategy is to go to the area outside the horde garrison - the side the ships are on - and follow the mountain. Only mobs there are yellow gentle clefthoofs. No aggro. If you can get a toon there, it's not a bad place to set up shop.

Kurasu
Top Rater

Post by Kurasu » May 25th, 2016, 9:11 am

Bellaryl wrote:OMG, I think I have something to add here! :D

So...a while ago, I made a post that spoke directly to this. I leveled 5 toons (4 horde, 1 alliance) from 90-100 on pet battles alone, and all in Draenor.
The thing is, from 90 to 100 is easy. Aggroing things happens when they get fairly close.

Leveling from 14 to 100, on the other hand (or at least 14 to 90, when I can move to Draenor for thicker pet battles) is much, much harder. :D The fliers are tricky, so they are a dangerous place if you're too low. I'll take a look there and see how safe it is for a wandering mini-Horde, though. Depending on what type of creatures are there, I might even prefer it for the type(s) of stones. I already have a metric buttload of aquatic from farming the crabs after all;

At the moment, I took the Farmer Nishi suggestion. The Heartlands are pretty safe as long as you avoid the edges where the eagles sit, although stuff's a bit spread out; I may try Jade Temple instead and see if they're more clustered. Admittedly, The Heartlands has the big advantage of mostly being critters, which makes it a fast farm with a Ravager Hatchling.

EDIT: Another advantage to the Heartlands leveling: the crickets often use an ability in the first round that does either zero damage, or low enough damage that even a level 1 pet won't die, thus allowing for leveling even a level 1 carry pet while you're at it. That's another reason I usually use the crabs in the alliance zone for pet leveling.