Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sikoya
Top Rater
Pet Score:4399
Realm:Blackhand-eu
Re: The One Million Gold Pet

Post by Sikoya » May 11th, 2016, 4:37 pm

Woa

Going by current "exchange rates" that amount of gold is roughly worth roughly 165 Euros.... that's more than a year's worth of game time..... if they stick with that price I really do hope they drastically increase the amount of gold we can earn. But then so far, the developers usually have aimed at decreasing the amount of in-game currency. This is kinda weird, puzzling and almost a bit troll-worthy.

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13661
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Post by Mehetabel » May 12th, 2016, 7:59 am

Since I'm competitive and obsessed with the overall amount of pets I have, rather than how they look/battle, I'll be buying it. It will be a serious dent in my current gold savings though. :roll:

Spare a thought for the serious mount collectors though, their spider mount is TWO million gold.
Peanutty wrote:I guess I'd be a sucker then. It could be a tin can with no moveset and I'd still buy it.
Same here! :lol:

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » May 12th, 2016, 10:01 am

Not related to pets, but it seems that the gold sinkage paranoia started to be more intensive and significant to devs than to the players themselves. :roll:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17611303190

I may name it harsh, but this is because I play primarily with tokens and still I refuse to pump garrisons like a crazy. So no wonder you would find me strange. :lol:

(though it's technically better than a huge gold sink)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » May 12th, 2016, 12:52 pm

Mehetabel wrote:Spare a thought for the serious mount collectors though, their spider mount is TWO million gold.
I also collect mounts. I'd say I cried bitter tears when I heard... but I'd just finished getting the Scepter of Azj'Aqir archaeology mount... there were no more tears left after that. Just silent rageful sobbing.

As crazy as 2M for a mount is, it's not even as bad as some of the existing ones. I mean Galleon and Oondasta are 0.05% drops from bosses that only spawn every 2 hours or so. I guess it's kind of sad when you think about it that the 2M mount seems massively more attainable since all you have to do is get the 2M and it's yours. Heck, running the math on it, excluding garrison gold and assuming no gold nerf to 25MHeroic cata raids it should take around 15 weeks with my number of 100s.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 12th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Ishildur wrote:
Mehetabel wrote:Spare a thought for the serious mount collectors though, their spider mount is TWO million gold.
As crazy as 2M for a mount is, it's not even as bad as some of the existing ones. I mean Galleon and Oondasta are 0.05% drops from bosses that only spawn every 2 hours or so. I guess it's kind of sad when you think about it that the 2M mount seems massively more attainable since all you have to do is get the 2M and it's yours. Heck, running the math on it, excluding garrison gold and assuming no gold nerf to 25MHeroic cata raids it should take around 15 weeks with my number of 100s.
Well you can imagine how crazy BMAH will get next xpac - like Sha of Anger's mount usually gold caps nowadays. Imagine what'll happen when the limit is 10x that. So 2 mil for a mount really could be a better deal (and less aggravating).

My only regret with the spider mount, assuming the price doesn't change, is I'm going to buy it and never even mount it. Spiders... *shudder*

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » May 13th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Peanutty wrote: Well you can imagine how crazy BMAH will get next xpac - like Sha of Anger's mount usually gold caps nowadays. Imagine what'll happen when the limit is 10x that. So 2 mil for a mount really could be a better deal (and less aggravating).
Oh boy, don't I just know it... I keep hoping the three or so mounts that can appear there that I'm missing will pop up before Legion because there's just no realistic way I can see winning them in a bidding war post-Legion. Let alone capping in Legion :shock:

I do suspect that gold rewards for doing various things will be going up substantially. I mean otherwise these prices are just sort of... out of touch with reality. Like, Garrosh Hellscream believing he was popular out of touch with reality. 2M for a mount is a lot, but 1M for a pet is absurdly much considering the difference in mounts and pets on average. A lot of people are coming into Legion with tons of easy garrison gold, but a fair bit will be returning after having mostly ignored WoD after the first 6 month or so and they're not going to be nearly as well off. They are bound to make it at least realistic to be able to farm the gold for the vanity items during the course of the expansion without having to be one of the crazy people with a dozen alts to siphon gold from.

Quietgirl255
Pet Score:4199
Realm:Baelgun-us

Post by Quietgirl255 » May 13th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Even if I had that much gold I can't see spending that much gold on a single vendor pet. I would think testing the market with a maybe less expensive vendor sold pet ( or even better yet several pets) might be a better way to go ( in the 20-40K range.) I just can't wrap my head around paying the same amount for a pet that I did for a vendor sold mount.

I really think too there is a great disparity in what the average player really has in gold. And if a player sitting on a pile of gold isn't into pets or mounts, what will this really help?

The other things that is really bothering about this, why is it a spectral hippo? I don't remember hippos being in Northend last time around, and hippos now to me feel very much like a WOD thing.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 13th, 2016, 9:29 pm

Ishildur wrote:
Peanutty wrote: Well you can imagine how crazy BMAH will get next xpac - like Sha of Anger's mount usually gold caps nowadays. Imagine what'll happen when the limit is 10x that. So 2 mil for a mount really could be a better deal (and less aggravating).
Oh boy, don't I just know it... I keep hoping the three or so mounts that can appear there that I'm missing will pop up before Legion because there's just no realistic way I can see winning them in a bidding war post-Legion. Let alone capping in Legion :shock:
Yeah I'm really regretting I didn't buy the Sha mount when I had the chance. Nowadays I'm checking the BMAH daily for it, in hopes I can get it before Legion drives up the prices!
Ishildur wrote:I do suspect that gold rewards for doing various things will be going up substantially. I mean otherwise these prices are just sort of... out of touch with reality. Like, Garrosh Hellscream believing he was popular out of touch with reality. 2M for a mount is a lot, but 1M for a pet is absurdly much considering the difference in mounts and pets on average.
I think either the gold rewards will be noticeably bumped and/or the gold cost of these specific items will be reduced. Don't have beta yet so I can't check any of that first hand.... If it ends up going live as-is, well, I guess I'll buy the pet and mount and go back to playing the AH to make up for the giant hole in my funds.

Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Peterc » May 14th, 2016, 1:58 am

As someone who only buys pets (any anything else) in game it will be something to aim for. I have never been that focused on making gold but these days do need to ensure I make at least enough to fund my monthly subscription via tokens. Saving some regularly or getting lucky with rare BoE items to sell on AH will help.

Is going to be interesting to see how the raised gold cap impacts the game, along with how easy (or not) making gold in game is in Legion. My expectation was that Gold was too easy to make in WoD (mainly via Follower missions) and therefore it would be harder in Legion bring gold prices down generally.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » May 14th, 2016, 6:11 am

I don't know what you guys are talking about. 1,000,000 gold is a perfectly reasonable price for a re-skin of the ugliest pet model ever....

:shock: :roll:

Finnelis
Pet Score:9316
Realm:Kirin Tor-eu

Post by Finnelis » May 14th, 2016, 8:33 am

It is a *lot* of money but I don't mind it that much, it gives something in game to the people who make it a play style to get very rich. However, for such a hugely expensive pet, giving us a reskin of a so so model with an already existing skin (same as Celestial Dragon) is really not acceptable. For that much money it should be something awesome and right now it definitely is not.

As to inflation and gold sinks, the Mad Merchant is not a goldsink and wasn't designed to be one. Since his wares are prohibitively expensive, only a very small fraction of player will ever sink gold in it, so the overall amount taken out of the economy will be fairly low. Conversely, if they had kept the original pricing (a few 100k), I think it would have been much more efficient as a sink.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » May 14th, 2016, 9:32 am

i am sorry but this is so damn wrong i am furious. a handfull of collectors can affprd this luxury pet. well done blizz this is wanker elitist bullshit of the finest kind. how effing damn them use us pet colectors as a gold sink. if this is the new game then sod it, and the nigel that thought of it.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » May 14th, 2016, 12:19 pm

So maybe shall we go with yet another way to tell…

http://goo.gl/w50lcr

(If you know a better engine and have more ideas about the questions, you're welcome to reproduce and/or share.
I don't even know if the results are detailed enough! :lol:)

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » May 14th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Graven wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about. 1,000,000 gold is a perfectly reasonable price for a re-skin of the ugliest pet model ever....
I guess I must love ugly things because I thought the riverbeast calves were pretty cute. Certainly better than a tin can with no moveset. ;)
Peterc wrote:Is going to be interesting to see how the raised gold cap impacts the game, along with how easy (or not) making gold in game is in Legion. My expectation was that Gold was too easy to make in WoD (mainly via Follower missions) and therefore it would be harder in Legion bring gold prices down generally.
This is what I find tricky. If they make gold making harder than it currently is, people who play the AH actually stand to make a lot more gold relatively speaking than they have this xpac. But then it negatively impacts those who don't play the AH, which is the vast majority of players. It's a tough thing to balance now that the doors have been blown open with the garrison system. I think they were a little overly generous this xpac but if they cut back on the rewards too much for next xpac, it'll make the game miserable for quite a lot of players.

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » May 14th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Tbh these MILLION prices are complete BULLSHIT.

#1 these prices DONT are not GOLDSINKS (devs even admited that fact)
#2 they screw most of the collectors over
#3 they are not worth it and could have bad follow ups, ie why sell a tgc pet that atm goes for 200k for that price when there is a none-rare, none-limited-pet for 1mill => all tgc pets will cost over 1mill
(same goes for the mount)
#4 whales that are collectors buy the pet/mount and have made the money back after (max) 4 weeks.

ps: no legion wont give you much money - you still get the usual 15g per quest

Kiella
Pet Score:13842
BattleTag®:Elena#1284
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kiella » May 14th, 2016, 9:49 pm

Honestly I'm mostly excited about this because it gives me something to work on till Legion hits. With my collection currently semi-maxed out (barring purchasing some of the old collector's editions), this gives me a reason to focus back on gold-making for a bit.

I also think some of the "sky-is-falling" responses are a bit dramatic. Neither the pet nor the mount, even if introduced at current prices, will suddenly cause all tcg or other "rare" items to go over 1m. Remember there are already two 100k vendor mounts in the game, and yet you regularly see certain tcg mounts (and definitely the pets) up on the AH for less. Simply put, absolute supply is not the only thing that sets price. Here Blizzard (or the Mad Merchant if you will) has a monopoly, so they can set the price point wherever they want. Other items like tcg pets though have multiple suppliers so the competition will cause the price to fluctuate based on supply and demand. Now perhaps every person holding a tcg mount or pet might suddenly refuse to sell them for under 1m after this, but that seems highly unlikely. If you really believe this though, just buy up all the 40k tcg pets off the AH now and when they 1m pet comes out and they all magically now go for 1m you'll be rich and able to buy 1m pets for us all ;)

Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Africanleopard » May 14th, 2016, 11:55 pm

I look at this and I think OMG there must be something wrong with me. Over 8 + years of gaming my main has about 63K of gold. At that rate it would take me like 127 years to make a million :lol: . So no, I would not buy the pet :lol:

Paladance

Post by Paladance » May 15th, 2016, 2:08 am

Huh? As far as I know all TCG mounts cost waaaay above 100k, no matter if flying or not.
There are also dupes that we should not take into consideration while measuring the real value.

And currently there are no expensive vendor pets. Timewalking toys aswell as Mylune's Call are BoP.

Of course, you'd tell that considering the rarity, the type of the items shouldn't matter.
Still, different people focus on different things and once claimed, only pets can be traded between the realms (resold to a wider market).

I'd never suspect that I could agree with @Drudatz to a certain extent ;) but I'm calmer now. Far from passivity, though.

---

What concerns me now is that Watcher suggested that basically these are prestige items.

What kind of prestige do I get by having a wider bag?
Are these 20 seconds a time when people may notice me, especially when I'm not used to pop toys every CD?
Does anyone care about pets besides the pet collectors that value other things that sound of the coins?

I'm not sure.

Only a mount is that thing that can be used at any time -- and it's the most expensive good -- so no wonder that Watcher has likely said about it alone. But that doesn't tell us the purpose of all other items.

---

About the poll, apparently the free version allows to collect only 25 responses. :oops:
Still I'm curious how the results would be if someone made the proper one.

Kiella
Pet Score:13842
BattleTag®:Elena#1284
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Kiella » May 15th, 2016, 2:35 am

Paladance wrote:Huh? As far as I know all TCG mounts cost waaaay above 100k, no matter if flying or not.
There are also dupes that we should not take into consideration while measuring the real value.

And currently there are no expensive vendor pets. Timewalking toys aswell as Mylune's Call are BoP.

Of course, you'd tell that considering the rarity, the type of the items shouldn't matter.
Still, different people focus on different things and once claimed, only pets can be traded between the realms (resold to a wider market).

I'd never suspect that I could agree with @Drudatz to a certain extent ;) but I'm calmer now. Far from passivity, though.
Interesting- you're right, they must have cracked down on the duping method for the mounts. I guess that shows you how closely I follow the mount market ;) Last I checked prices, there were tcg mounts under 100k, but not anymore.

That being said, I still don't personally see the problem with an expensive vendor pet. Whether or not any exist currently, what's the real harm in adding one? It's achievable (given enough time) for anyone. I guess I could see if you truly viewed each pet as only valuable for its appearance/uniqueness/battle strength, then this might seem like a terrible 'value,' but wouldn't many others as well? For example, why should there be a gryphon hatchling pet that looks literally exactly the same as a wild cageable pet with no real pvp value that you can only obtain by purchasing a $25 stuffed animal (with more than that in shipping costs for those of us outside the U.S.)?

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » May 15th, 2016, 3:20 am

Kiella wrote:Neither the pet nor the mount, even if introduced at current prices, will suddenly cause all tcg or other "rare" items to go over 1m. Remember there are already two 100k vendor mounts in the game, and yet you regularly see certain tcg mounts (and definitely the pets) up on the AH for less. Simply put, absolute supply is not the only thing that sets price. Here Blizzard (or the Mad Merchant if you will) has a monopoly, so they can set the price point wherever they want. Other items like tcg pets though have multiple suppliers so the competition will cause the price to fluctuate based on supply and demand. Now perhaps every person holding a tcg mount or pet might suddenly refuse to sell them for under 1m after this, but that seems highly unlikely. If you really believe this though, just buy up all the 40k tcg pets off the AH now and when they 1m pet comes out and they all magically now go for 1m you'll be rich and able to buy 1m pets for us all ;)
Gotta love whales that dont even use real facts (like the mounts you are talking about 100k and 120k).
And please lil'murican we now the us ecconomy is bad but in the eu you NEVER see tgc stuff for UNDER 100k.
(must be a nice server you have selling tgc stuff for under 100k and 40k tgc pets....).....

Plus the 100k and 120k mounts have some funktions which the million pets/mount dont have at all and the money was easy to make in the timeframe the expansion last which also DOES NOT apply to this pet/mount.