Alt-F4'ing out to repawn pets has been hotfixed

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu
Re: Alt-F4'ing out to repawn pets has been hotfixed

Post by Hellomynameis » December 20th, 2012, 8:20 am

Lets not forget the suicide pets you try to tame. You finally find a rare, only to see it kill itself..and there is nothing you can do about it.

Jordicus
Top Rater
Pet Score:2793
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by Jordicus » December 20th, 2012, 9:12 am

i understand about wanting to fix unintended behaviors, but I really see this as a more detrimental change to the Pet Battle community. Hopefully they will resolve a different method of being able to save a pet for another player.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13667
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 20th, 2012, 9:54 am

Saving a pet for someone, not sure if this will work but worth a try, mount your biggest mount/Mammoth ect. and sit on it hopefully conceling not from view but from clicking on the Green Paw until friend arrives.
Wave

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 20th, 2012, 11:04 am

I hope they really don't implement this fix or implement some other way of getting out of battle w/o despawning the pet team.

I also have had WoW crash more than once entering/during/completing a battle. This would be brutal.

I don't favor this change at all.

Catalytic
Pet Score:4337
BattleTag®:Lyrics#1788
Realm:Greymane-us

Post by Catalytic » December 20th, 2012, 11:12 am

I never complain to Blizz about anything, but this one, I'd like to fuss about. Where is the appropriate place for players to protest changes? I know some things in the past have been reverted after player uproar, perhaps this will be too.

Waveryn wrote:Saving a pet for someone, not sure if this will work but worth a try, mount your biggest mount/Mammoth ect. and sit on it hopefully conceling not from view but from clicking on the Green Paw until friend arrives.
Please don't do this. It's incredibly rude, and very likely to lead to you being reported for griefing. I am as upset about this change as anyone, but it isn't my right to prevent someone else from enjoying the game. At least when you were holding a pet in battle, other players couldn't see the paw at all, but this is a bit over the top imo.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 20th, 2012, 11:21 am

Waveryn wrote:Saving a pet for someone, not sure if this will work but worth a try, mount your biggest mount/Mammoth ect. and sit on it hopefully conceling not from view but from clicking on the Green Paw until friend arrives.
It's not so much simply saving a pet but a saving a specific pet (quality, color, breed, etc.), and this can only be done after you've engaged in combat with the wild pet and seen it's stats. Unfortunately, standing on a wild pet doesn't really have the same effect (for most companions) as this.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Erian
Pet Score:2435
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu

Post by Erian » December 20th, 2012, 11:34 am

If s.o. of the opposing faction would do that, there is a good chance the pet would be killed as collateral damage in the following slaughter. :D
I fully agree with Catalytic here: Blocking a pet (or anything for that matter) with a big mount is both rude and annoying.

@Catalytic
You could twitter about that - maybe you are lucky. ;)
Has the disadvantage of only 140 characters though...

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » December 20th, 2012, 11:41 am

Catalytic, I would never do it, but had the thought seeing so many people doing this when I try to turn in dailys, it is rude but if some one found a minferal of any quality and tried to save it, I can see players doing it if it worked.
Wave

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » December 20th, 2012, 11:46 am

Oh well, I suppose this means we all leave fewer spawns for other people to enjoy. I plan to put more attention toward leveling lowbie pets now, because if I start a battle, the pets I don't need are dead, not respawned.

Silverthorn
MVP
Pet Score:13821
Realm:Staghelm-us

Post by Silverthorn » December 20th, 2012, 11:51 am

It was nice while it lasted. Too bad the evil ones found a way to make gold out of it. It is unlikely to be very profitable, but I understand that Blizzard wanted to nip this in the bud.

LSW
Top Rater
Pet Score:12469
BattleTag®:Sol#1481
Realm:Shadow Council-us

Post by LSW » December 20th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I only learned about this today myself, AFTER I had a RARE Scourged Whelpling in battle. Realized I had the wrong team, did an immediate /logout and came back to find him (or her) GONE! :cry:

I also used this method with a couple of guildies in the past weeks to help them find their rares, to include the Silithid Hatchling s! It made for some great times in vent for those of us who are collectors, and its so disappointing to see that Blizz 'hot-fixed' this.

By them removing this strategy, now people will become more cut-throat about pet battles (for those who are simply after the achievement of the catch I mean) and it also makes it less effecient in helping our friends/guildmates.

:!: Depending on what Mumper reveals for patch 5.2, I would like to recommend the following action. I suggest the community here at warcraftpets sets up a petition and we all get together and sign it and send it off to Blizzard to let them know how we view this particular hot-fix. Let them know how they are 'taking' some of the enjoyment out of the game because of it. Get our guildies and other folks to also raise the cry up on the warcraft forums. Hold on to this petition of course, until the 'revealation' comes out with patch 5.2, just to see what it is they are planning.

And to those who tried to gain gold to sell wild pets in pet battle ... *snorts* shame on you. :evil:

Palatank
Pet Score:7098
Realm:Khadgar-eu

Post by Palatank » December 20th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Never knew this existed so never used it, but now knowing it existed, seems to odd they have hotfixed it.

Well hopefull they replace be allowing you to trade Wild Battle Pets :)

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » December 20th, 2012, 2:37 pm

I have to also say I've never seen anyone selling rare spawns this way, nor do I think it would quite be possible. You could trade gold or whatever to the person and they could simply capture the pet themselves or there could be no pet to begin with or it could be any other quality. You'd have to be kind of stupid to give gold to a person claiming that.

Pikafido
MVP
Pet Score:13608
BattleTag®:Pikafido#2789
Realm:Aerie Peak-eu

Post by Pikafido » December 20th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Yeah its a shame this isnt working anymore. My friend and me helped each other (in different places) to search for rares.
When one found a rare the other came and took over the fight.

But since the really rares are rare i gave up on myserver EU-AeriePeak and rolled a DK on RPPVP spanish Shendralar.
First i found it rly strange that I didnt saw any other players around. I think after 4-5 hours I saw the first player.

it is there that I got all my missing rares (Minfernal-scourged whelpling-cogblade raptor-sporeling sprout-jade oozeling-fluxfire-harpy-giraffe calf)
And server respawns (like Minfernal has) or should have was not there. Got an uncommon and 2-3 hours later saw new ones.

you could just fight and repeat without getting other people in the way. I was so busy with collecting that I skipped leveling and lost first place on the realm hahahahaha. But that was a nice thing to see for a while.

Frozenpets

Post by Frozenpets » December 20th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I dont like how this has changed pet battles.

listen, we use 310 speed mounts often, with other boosts, I dont know how fast we're actually going. so we are moving so fast that there are times where you can engage a pet battle before noticing there was a guy fighting a mob for that pet. I would quickly say "I am so sorry, I did not see you there, if you want I will log out-often times due to the quality people didnt care, but I ended up giving away a rare fluxfire the day before the change. I know that person was darn happy when I noticed he was really closer to it I just flew in and stole it. now...we all become bad even if intentions would be good with all of the information

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » December 20th, 2012, 4:31 pm

I wonder if Mumper is on these forums at all. I would be nice to be able to have a conversation about this with out having to worry about the usual drama that comes from posting on the main forums... :lol:

Oraibi
MVP
Pet Score:5894
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Oraibi » December 20th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Catalytic wrote:
Please don't do this. It's incredibly rude, and very likely to lead to you being reported for griefing. I am as upset about this change as anyone, but it isn't my right to prevent someone else from enjoying the game. At least when you were holding a pet in battle, other players couldn't see the paw at all, but this is a bit over the top imo.
Also, it won't really work. You can just manually /target the wild pet and then activate an interact-with-target keybind to start the fight.

Azmeaiel
MVP
Pet Score:9672
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Azmeaiel » December 20th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Has anyone tried teaming up with other faction friends and giving them a white swing to cancel the batttle on a reserved pet?

apparently pvp combat still cancels battle the old way with the pet repoping

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » December 20th, 2012, 10:46 pm

This and being above the 650 pets again just cost me a Rare Fel flame, I even crated pets in battle and got below the number but the crate would not let me select it, I killed the rare and forfeited then put in a ticket, this is so wrong. I spent days/hours trying for one of these.
Wave

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » December 21st, 2012, 9:20 am

Oraibi wrote:
Catalytic wrote:
Also, it won't really work. You can just manually /target the wild pet and then activate an interact-with-target keybind to start the fight.

For those of you that haven't done this yet, you really should set this up. Have you come across a pet you want and you can't interact with it because it's inside of a tree? Well, you can still target it with "/target [name]" now you have it targeted what do you do? Well, if you have a keybinding set to interact with your target you're fine.

So someone on the warcraft version of a Denali sitting on a pet really wouldn't matter all that much.

Oh yea, and this hotfix really sucks