Celestial Tournament

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Formby
Pet Score:5180
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us
Celestial Tournament

Post by Formby » March 24th, 2016, 12:41 am

Long time listener, first time caller. And my apologies in advance if this is not the correct forum for my post.

I've just recently renewed and picked up pet collection again. I absolutely adore it and always did when I played before. I've been trying to put together a collection that's good enough to succeed in the Celestial Tournament. Knowing full well that I was probably incomplete, I headed out to the Isle anyway. Managed the first encounters and then went to the individual pets. Got the first two, and then lost at the very end of the third. Heartbreak.

But so much fun. I really had a fantastic time during the entire scenario, trying to piece together pets that were not in the prescribed wowhead posts. In the end, after 6 fghts, losing felt terrible, but not so bad for my first go. I still hearthed right away, don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed my time.

TL;DR: Celestial Tournament is still fun for new or returning players.

Cheers everyone,

Formby

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Celestial Tournament

Post by Gráinne » March 24th, 2016, 1:16 am

Yes indeed!

I introduced a relatively new battler to the CT, and though he scraped through his first few wins, he still struggles to get his last few coins for his final pets. When you don't have the pets to create ideal compositions, RNG can easily knock down your sandcastle.

In a recent post, http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742364802?page=20#398 the Blues said:
This direction also pushes us to create content that tests max-level-pet-battlers in a way that is not purely numbers, but use of abilities, use of specific pets, and memorization of enemy strategies. The Celestial Tournament was a good example of pet battle content that rewarded a varied and filled pet stable. We have some exciting things in mind for future battles versus tamers!
I do so hope we'll see a challenge like the Tournament again in Legion!

P.S. As well as Wowhead, check out also http://wow-petguide.com , which features a Tournament Planner for you to lay out all your available pets, and which will be used where.

The two huge tips that helped me so much were:

1. Bring duplicates of your workhorses. For Pandaria, the BoF and the CT I acquired 2 PWS, 2 Chrominius, 2 Idols, ... and for some reason I think 2 Ravens?

2. You can heal pets inside the Tournament provided they're still alive. Put a team healer like Terrible Turnip in the first slot, and your walking wounded in the back line. Challenge Zao, use your team heal, forfeit. Repeat until your injured pets are back to full health.

Sunborne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5096
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Sunborne » March 29th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Gráinne wrote:
2. You can heal pets inside the Tournament provided they're still alive. Put a team healer like Terrible Turnip in the first slot, and your walking wounded in the back line. Challenge Zao, use your team heal, forfeit. Repeat until your injured pets are back to full health.

I'm surprised they didn't nerf that. I haven't been back to the CT this expansion but it's really nice they left that alone for new battlers.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » March 30th, 2016, 12:25 am

Sunborne wrote:
Gráinne wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't nerf that. I haven't been back to the CT this expansion but it's really nice they left that alone for new battlers.
Realistically though, how could they nerf it? Prevent any pet that can heal from being used? Give a forfeit debuff like wild pets, but make it like 50%?

I use a Wish pet to heal on Yu'la, for the last 4, and then take on Yu'la last.
mykro9#1585

Sunborne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5096
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Sunborne » March 30th, 2016, 12:45 am

Mykro9 wrote:
Sunborne wrote:
Gráinne wrote:

Realistically though, how could they nerf it? Prevent any pet that can heal from being used? Give a forfeit debuff like wild pets, but make it like 50%?

I use a Wish pet to heal on Yu'la, for the last 4, and then take on Yu'la last.

Good point. The best thing I could come up with was randomize Zao's first attack or which pet comes out first. I heard after Draenor's launch that some battles bad been changed. I just always thought that was one of them.