Lesser Charms of Good Fortune coming soon to Pet Battles

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us
Lesser Charms of Good Fortune coming soon to Pet Battles

Post by Talmar » December 18th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Fron Draztal on the EU forums...
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6160876717?page=2#27
Actually, not from heroics, but the developers are planning to let you have a chance to earn Lesser Charms of Good Fortune through Pet Battles. Basically, if you win, you'll have a chance of receiving charms based on your pet level.

And if a player is below level 90, they'll get experience equal to defeating a yellow creature.
Not sure how I feel about this.

Obviously I love pet battles and this is only a good thing for me but I only raid on 1 character. Currency isn't an account shared thing like the pets. If this goes through I'll be doing pet battles on only my raiding character now just for the chance.

I'm sure I'm not the only one as well.

Blizzard had always stated pet battles wouldn't ever influence your actual character power, however, this change directly affects chances at raid gear.

Thought?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Lesser Charms of Good Fortune coming soon to Pet Battles

Post by Quintessence » December 18th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Not just raid gear, but also gives devs the opportunity to add other things that can be purchased or rolled on with the charms. I would love to see pet items purchasable for X number of charms at some point. Doesn't have to be right away, but later when content starts to wear and get a little dated. Battle-stones for X number of charms wouldn't be such a bad idea.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 18th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I totally agree with you Quintessence, and this is where my pet battle player and raid player conflict with each other.

I don't want to feel like I should do all my pet battles on my raiding toon

buuuuuuut

I would love to see the lesser charms become a currency for pet battle stuff.

If I'm earning lesser charms on non raiding characters I really want to be able to spend them on something, and if I'm earning them via pet battles I would want to spend them on pet stuff. :)

Jeykama
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Jeykama » December 18th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Dunno why you wouldn't be happy to have some other source of charms other than dailies.

It doesn't influence character power because 1) it's just lesser charms. 2) the chance of getting anything from a roll is pretty low anyway. 3) considering I can get enough charms for the weekly in less than 2 days, a few extras from pet battles isn't going to break the lifestyle.

They also said something about pet battles giving xp to <90s equal to a yellow mob, which would make it on par with mining/herbing/skinning. Alternatives are good, this just brings pet battles to the level of... might I say... Secondary Profession?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 18th, 2012, 6:51 pm

One thing that I worry about when it comes to charms for pet items is the conflict between using the charms for PVE progression or "pet progression". But if they separate the two, save the Elder Charms exclusively for raiding rolls and the Lesser Charms as misc currency for pet stones or other, I think it could work.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jeykama
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Jeykama » December 18th, 2012, 8:00 pm

There really isn't any conflict (right now) as the only use for charms is an extra roll on raid gear. The only way it is related to "pet progression" is that the higher level battles you do, the higher chance for a charm to drop.

I feel safe saying that pet battles won't become a viable way of farming charms, considering the battle-stone drop rate used the exact same wording. It's just a small perk to slightly compensate for the time invested.

To follow up my thinking pet battles being secondary profession status... heck I don't recall healers going out and farming night elf archaeology for the trinket back when it was extremely good. Considering Elder Charms are hardly a direct line of player power (i.e. if your luck is terrible, you'll get nothing from them. forever.) it's really just not a big deal.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 19th, 2012, 1:23 pm

At first this was very confusing -- lesser charms are only good in raids, why give them for pet battling? But it makes sense in the bigger picture. Rewarding the lesser charms from faction daily quests becomes very awkward after you're finished repping up with those factions, and people hate those daily quests already. This change lets you get the lesser charms from a less onerous source: pet battles probably just happened to be the easiest place to add them, and/or the source that bliz felt would keep people reasonably happy (while still requiring some time investment to get).

Azmeaiel
MVP
Pet Score:9672
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Azmeaiel » December 19th, 2012, 8:44 pm

lv 90 pet dalies are just that...dalies, i dont think people should be penalized for choosing to spend their time on a pet daily or a golden lotus daily and tbh to do a full clear of pandaren pet dalies can take more time than a faction. At the end of they day they give no faction rep or anything but a bag so why not allow people to have a reward for their time instead of leaving these dalies in last place when their also one of the most repeatable?

Im really sick of having to waste time on faction dalies when I like the pet ones and these are the dalies i would rather be spending time on. I dont need faction rep once I'm exulted so would rather move onto another part of the game without being forced to constantly repeat something thats not particularly enjoyable.

In my opinion they should have same reward including the standard vp and charms of the rest of the dalies at lv 90.

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » December 21st, 2012, 3:29 am

If they're going to give exp for pet battles, I wonder how long it would take to level a new char only using pet battles.
Sounds like a fun challenge :-)

Vicegrips
Pet Score:1893
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Vicegrips » December 23rd, 2012, 6:41 am

I think its fine that they might give xp to sub-90 toons. The lesser charms are of almost no importance to me any more. One can only use so many per week. And with all the dailies i had to do to get pandaren ambassador achievement, ive got a couple thousand of them on the currency tab. Now if thy gave us something useful to spend them on, I'm very interested. Maybe some bandages, since I'll have to be using those once fleeing a daily to get a good first matchup causes team damage...

Obfuscare
Realm:Terenas-us

Post by Obfuscare » December 28th, 2012, 10:24 am

I like pet battles. I like doing the pet battle daily quests. I hate dailies otherwise. They can't implement this soon enough, as far as I am concerned. I'd like to just see each pet battle quest that rewards a bag break off a charm, it would put them on par with normal daily quests.

Will be particularly nice, too, once I've hit exalted with all the grindy factions and have no use for the dailies otherwise.