Can we still get different skins by forfeit?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us
Can we still get different skins by forfeit?

Post by Darolyn » January 11th, 2016, 6:24 am

I know there was a change in how alt+F4 worked in pet battles, but can we still change skins of secondaries by forfeiting and going back in? I don't want to spend hours doing it for a Dark Green Wood Wasp only to find out that that mechanic has changed.

Any thoughts?
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Can we still get different skins by forfeit?

Post by Quintessence » January 11th, 2016, 7:16 am

I believe this still works. It also works if you're looking for a different sized version of certain pets.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Merana » January 11th, 2016, 9:58 am

Only works for the two pets that join the fight, tried with wood wasps as well and the first one always stayed the same.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 11th, 2016, 11:33 am

I knew you could only change secondaries, I just tried for about an hour last night to get this wood wasp, and no luck, and I was terrified that my pets would be too low health to take it once I got it anyway.

Any advice? I mean, you lose 10% when you forfeit, so how do you keep forfeiting and rolling back in, without spending hundreds of bandages? I heal every four minutes, but it's still dicey and really scary...
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Merana
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Aman'Thul-eu

Post by Merana » January 11th, 2016, 11:47 am

Have several teams of the same types of pets (like moths, cats, or dragon whelps) and swap when one team gets below 50% health, and continue until they all have low health, then just heal them all up and start again.
It took me quite a while to get the alternative wood wasp color as well, I tried for an hour on a parrot next to Beastwatch until I moved on just running around battling anything I came across to see if it had a wood wasp as secondary, I found one in the Ruins of the First Bastion after a few forfeits eventually, I think.

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » January 11th, 2016, 12:03 pm

I thought you couldn't die to forfeiting.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 11th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Milotha wrote:I thought you couldn't die to forfeiting.
No, because of diminishing returns to 10%. BUT, you can die to the pet battle when you finally get the skin you want, you HAVE to battle it right then and there, regardless of how healed your pets are. That's my concern.

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » January 11th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I would try a couple of teams that have an aoe heal pet such as Stinker or Alterac Pup as the first pet. After a few forfeits, use the aoe heal and then forfeit, and then you can sub the teams out. That should eliminate the need for bandages.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/filter/?filter=team_healing

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » January 11th, 2016, 2:41 pm

I use a [pet]Frostwolf Ghostpup[/pet]. As far as I know statistically it has the best equal AoE heal and also is able to take down the first pet quickly. =)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 11th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Paladance wrote:I use a [pet]Frostwolf Ghostpup[/pet]. As far as I know statistically it has the best equal AoE heal and also is able to take down the first pet quickly. =)
From the link given above, I'd give the Pygmy Cow or Alterac Brew-Pup the higher numbers....huh, while I swore by Stinker for Celestial Tournament, I never thought of trying this with wild pet battles.

Intelligent, I am. Smart...not so much.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » January 12th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Darolyn wrote:
Paladance wrote:I use a [pet]Frostwolf Ghostpup[/pet]. As far as I know statistically it has the best equal AoE heal and also is able to take down the first pet quickly. =)
From the link given above, I'd give the Pygmy Cow or Alterac Brew-Pup the higher numbers....huh, while I swore by Stinker for Celestial Tournament, I never thought of trying this with wild pet battles.
These two are indeed great during Celestial Tournament!
However, their healing is so significant because they do heal only backline pets.
You have a selfless mother and a devoted friend after all! :)

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 12th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Paladance wrote:
Darolyn wrote:
These two are indeed great during Celestial Tournament!
However, their healing is so significant because they do heal only backline pets.
You have a selfless mother and a devoted friend after all! :)
Yup. Last night, I noticed that they don't heal themselves. Went back to Frostwolf after that. Thank you so much for your insight. Also, I love your signature. I truly do.

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 12th, 2016, 7:18 pm

So does Alt+F4 have a different result than just forfeiting? Confused here.

This is just to get a different skin on certain pets? I guess I never noticed the backup pets changing appearance (I'm usually just looking at quality/breed). And I didn't know you could reskin them that way!

I still like my turkeys for capturing with food coma. Combine them with a couple of hard hitters, or a lowbie to get a bit of xp on too. I have them set up in four teams - team1 and team3 turkeyA plus usually moths or a mech (or what's needed for that area). Team2 and team4 turkeyB, etc. That way the turkeys can survive quite a few fights, even if their helpers die. Even on alts that have the 8min heal, it works and I don't use many bandages.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 12th, 2016, 10:33 pm

Ziboo wrote:So does Alt+F4 have a different result than just forfeiting? Confused here.

This is just to get a different skin on certain pets? I guess I never noticed the backup pets changing appearance (I'm usually just looking at quality/breed). And I didn't know you could reskin them that way!
No, Alt+F4 isn't any different than forfeiting (except that you have to log back in haha).

You can just use the forfeit option to "reset" the skins/sizes of the two secondary pets. Forfeiting doesn't guarantee a color/size change though, so you will need either a lot of time or a lot of bandages (or a lot of luck!). :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Moritsume
Pet Score:13491
BattleTag®:MurdaMode#1395
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Moritsume » January 13th, 2016, 12:24 am

After an hour of forfeit resets yesterday I wasn't very optimistic that it would work and resigned myself to realm hopping in the ruins where they spawn hoping to see a rare skin on one of them. That didn't work either, so I went back to forfeits today, and got one after about 10 resets right near the ruins where they spawn. It looks really nice!

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 13th, 2016, 11:45 am

Quintessence wrote:
Ziboo wrote:So does Alt+F4 have a different result than just forfeiting? Confused here.

No, Alt+F4 isn't any different than forfeiting (except that you have to log back in haha).

You can just use the forfeit option to "reset" the skins/sizes of the two secondary pets. Forfeiting doesn't guarantee a color/size change though, so you will need either a lot of time or a lot of bandages (or a lot of luck!). :P
I actually can't remember what the alt+F4 thing was, specifically, I just remember reading it on Quintessence's blog, that something had changed which made it harder to save pets for people or something? My original question was if that same change affected the ability to forfeit and get different skins.

Sorry for any confusion.

Still working on my dark green Wood Wasp. Last night, I spent my "farming time" looking for a Crimson Whelp. Over 3000 kills, self-entitled people getting angry with me for being there (when THEY realm hopped into the area), and no whelp. Skinned enough mobs to level classic LW on another alt, though...but that's a story for another time.

Paladance

Post by Paladance » January 13th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Thank you Darolyn. :D Though I'm not sure which part of it are you talkin' about! /jk
Darolyn wrote:I actually can't remember what the alt+F4 thing was, specifically, I just remember reading it on Quintessence's blog, that something had changed which made it harder to save pets for people or something? My original question was if that same change affected the ability to forfeit and get different skins.
I believe that ALT+F4 (or even the task manager app kill) could be formerly used in situations when you accidentally kill your pet that is going to be caged. Can't remember if it does still work, but I've seen the opposite too.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 13th, 2016, 3:18 pm

Darolyn wrote:I actually can't remember what the alt+F4 thing was, specifically, I just remember reading it on Quintessence's blog, that something had changed which made it harder to save pets for people or something? My original question was if that same change affected the ability to forfeit and get different skins.
Alt-F4 was a thing in the early days when forfeiting a battle caused battle pets to permanently despawn. So in order to "save" a pet for someone you had to get the game to register that you disconnected (hence Alt-F4) so that it would release the pet back into the wild. You could use the same method to reset secondary pet skin colors.

Obviously nowadays this is no longer the case. As far as the dark green wasp skin it's just extremely rare in comparison to the common skin (took me over 100 resets).

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 13th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Good to know. All I remember Alt+F4 was the trick people would play in newbies in Alteric Valley and make up some reason they had to Alt+F4 out. So mean!

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 25th, 2016, 1:38 am

Got it, finally, after over 100 forfeits. I used Frostwolf Ghostpup, Nexus Whelpling (lots of flying pets), and Terrible Turnip, Ghostpup to heal through every forfeit, Nexus to take out the flying pets, and turnip to actually catch the wasp.

Only catch is not to use mana surge....did NOT want to see it die before my eyes. ;)

But yes, confirmed, can still get different skins by forfeit on secondary battle pets. Yay!