Non Squirt based pet leveling

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us
Non Squirt based pet leveling

Post by Talmar » December 31st, 2015, 9:44 am

So would the best pet leveling, not including Squirt, still be the [pet]Icespine Hatchling[/pet] groups in Frostfire Ridge?

Or back in Pandaria, the critter groups in the farming area of Valley of the 4 Winds?

Just checking.

Thanks all

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: Non Squirt based pet leveling

Post by Hootstwo » December 31st, 2015, 10:43 am

If you can get it to yourself, the area up in Kun Lai Summet near the legendary goat I find is one of the fastest leveling areas. Anything that's strong against beasts just tears things up up there. If there's no one else, by the time you finish slaughtering the small goats, they've begun to respawn.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » December 31st, 2015, 12:18 pm

Technically the best pet levelling besides squirt is the Pandaria tamers + Warlords Tamers. There are 11 Tamers in Pandaria and 7 Warlords tamers (Erris is the 7th). With the right teams you can do all 18 in under an hour (if you have a teleporter to Dalaran or Argent Tournament Grounds you can sometimes fit in Major Payne or Nearly Headless Jacob).

This is much faster than wild pet battles and also has the benefit of setting a small goal (finish as much as you can in an hour and then you are done). It is also wonderful for a 90+ alt as the quests give extra player EXP on top of what you get for the battle (you get around 25k+ total for the battle and quest x 18 = 450k+ EXP per night...half a level in most cases).

If you are wondering which teams to use to do all this in under an hour, here are some good thread:

MoP (last couple of pages have some additional ideas for better teams)
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =10&t=7556

Some new ideas for MoP
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =3&t=15285

WoD
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/f ... =3&t=13853

As far as routes go:

Alliance:
Hyuna
Whispering
Thundering
Aki
Farmer
Mo’ruk
Flowing
Shu
Yon
Burning
Zusshi (hearth to garrison)
Erris (if available)
Ashlei
Vesharr
Taralune
Tarr
Gargra
Cymre
Erris (if not earlier)
Teleport to Major Payne or Nearly Headless Jacob (optional ... if you have appropriate item/spell)

For Horde, I haven't tested thoroughly, but I would suggest testing out:
Cymre
Gargra (hearth to shrine in Pandarai)
Thundering
Whispering
Hyuna (hearth to garrison)
Erris (if available)
Tarr
Taralune
Vesharr
Ashlei (hearth to shrine)
Aki
Farmer
Mo’ruk
Flowing
Shu
Yon
Burning
Zusshi
Erris (if not earlier)
Teleport to Major Payne or Nearly Headless Jacob (optional ... if you have appropriate item/spell)
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Krystenn
MVP
Pet Score:6616
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-us

Post by Krystenn » December 31st, 2015, 5:01 pm

Honestly, for me it depends on character level. If my character is 1-85, then it's valley of the four winds all the way. 85-90, Vale of Eternal Blossoms. 91+ I'd just find someone with halloween decorations and use their garrison. Instant respawn. I hate using 100's to level pets because the xp is free and why not take advantage. If you need a garrison with the decorations, let me know.

Perki
Pet Score:3986
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Perki » December 31st, 2015, 6:15 pm

Jerebear wrote: As far as routes go:

For Horde...
Here's mine. It's probably horribly inefficient, but works good 'nuff fer me.
Start @ Garrison (garrison chores), hop to Ashran (daily AH& Bank), then Tanaan.
Fly south.
Ashlei->Vesharr->Draenie -> Tarr the Terrible
...do a flyby over your garrison...
Garga->Brightblade lady.
>Hearth to Shrine of Two moons (here I'll assume you're exalted w/Sho, Coud Serpents, don't need the rares/Timeles Isle and don't care about Beasts of Fable)
Thundering Panda Spirit
Whispering Panda Spirit
Hyuna of the Shrines
Farmer Nishi
Aki the Chosen
Courageous Yon
Burning Panda Spirit
Seeker Zusshi
Wastewalker Sho
Flowing Panda Spirit
Mo'ruk
>Hearth/fly to Shrine. Take Dalaran port and head to Major Payne if you want him.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » December 31st, 2015, 7:21 pm

Nice!

I think the OP was looking for speedy levelling, which is why I was more aiming for doing all tamers (and only the tamers) in under an hour (so you can fit it all into a hamburger/hotdog buff setup). Normally you would want to start right at the first tamer than your garrison unless you are starting with Erris.

One thing to consider on your route is that there is no reason to go all the way to major payne. All the other wrath tamers including the one right outside of Dalaran give the same EXP for pets and players. So I would suggest just going outside and fighting nearly headless jacob instead. It will save you some time.

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » January 2nd, 2016, 6:56 pm

One thing to consider on your route is that there is no reason to go all the way to major payne. All the other wrath tamers including the one right outside of Dalaran give the same EXP for pets and players. So I would suggest just going outside and fighting nearly headless jacob instead. It will save you some time.
As far as I know Major Payne gives a bag, while Jacob doesn't. Personally, I would invest those few minutes to fly to him, unless a exp buff is ticking.

Myrdok
Pet Score:6233
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Myrdok » January 2nd, 2016, 9:27 pm

Krystenn wrote:Honestly, for me it depends on character level. If my character is 1-85, then it's valley of the four winds all the way. 85-90, Vale of Eternal Blossoms. 91+ I'd just find someone with halloween decorations and use their garrison. Instant respawn. I hate using 100's to level pets because the xp is free and why not take advantage. If you need a garrison with the decorations, let me know.
Any specific team makeup you prefer for doing the garrison Halloween pets? Ive been experimenting but I haven't found anything super efficient yet.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 2nd, 2016, 9:42 pm

Shingetsu wrote:
As far as I know Major Payne gives a bag, while Jacob doesn't. Personally, I would invest those few minutes to fly to him, unless a exp buff is ticking.
Normally if you are doing the all in one hour route, you won't have the time to fly to Major Payne before the buff runs out. That said, if you have the teleporter tabard to the tournament grounds, then definitely hit him up. The bag isn't as awesome nowadays with how cheap you can buy the stones with tokens.

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 3rd, 2016, 2:19 pm

Other than the Panda tamers & Spirits, if you want wild battles, in Shadowmoon Valley along the shore between Elodor and the Temple there are groups of crabs that respawn quickly (they do have a variety of helper pets - spiders, moths). I've been there with another person and we never ran out of teams. Bad thing no close mending. But I set up teams (turkey/moth and the leveling pet), so I can usually do 4-5 battles, then mend.

It's much like the Vale with the aquatics. Up by Kafi in Kun-Li a alot of goats if you prefer to fight those. (I think I had a team with turkey/mech pet/leveling).

Also good xp for leveling characters. I just went from 93-99 with the (put on BoA gear before turning in the fabled quests and the additional potion from the Garrison), doing the complete Pandaria circuit and all the Draenor ones (not Tanaan).

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » January 3rd, 2016, 3:35 pm

As Darkmoon Faire has started, I'd like to remind you that you can level pets by Feasel brothers too! :)

They have the Pandaria XP distribution.

Recommendations (no exact credit as they became quite popular. Probably Wowhead has them aswell.):

Against Jeremy: MPD + a good mech/Stormwing/Mechanical Axebeak. Swaps on the Fezwick's stun.
Against Christoph: a Fox with Flurry/Howl/DD + supercharging Iron Starlette. No swaps by lvl1, you use the Otto's Darkmoon Curse.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Shingetsu

Post by Shingetsu » January 3rd, 2016, 7:42 pm

@Paladance You're right. Almost forgot about those too.

Two solid strategies for the Feasel Brothers I like to use:
(I *think* those are from chibimage if I remember correctly)

Jeremy Feasel

- Infinite Whelpling [P/P] (1,1,1)
- Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling [S/S] (1,1,2)
- Carry Pet

vs. Judgement

Tail Sweep x2
Healing Flame
Tail Sweep until Judgement dies

vs. Honky-Tonk

Early Advantage
Tail Sweep until Infinite Whelpling dies
Bring in Carry Pet
Bring in Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
Breath

vs. Fezwick

Decoy
Bombing Run
Breath until Fezwick dies

Rematch:

Code: Select all

Jeremy Feasel:67370:1161:122:168:405:844:115:647:334:0:0:0:0:
Christoph VonFeasel

- Scourged Whelpling [H/H] (2,2,1)
- Mechanical Squirrel [S/B] (1,2,1)
- Carry Pet

vs. Syd

Death & Decay
Plagued Blood (blocked)
Plagued Blood
Tail Sweep until Syd dies

vs. Mr. Pointy

Tail Sweep until Scourged Whelpling dies
Bring in Carry Pet
Bring in Mechanical Squirrel
Extra Plating
Wind-Up
Wind-Up
Metal Fist

vs. Otto

Wind-Up
Extra Plating
Metal Fist x3
Wind-Up

Rematch:

Code: Select all

Christoph VonFeasel:85519:538:122:214:657:39:384:392:459:0:0:0:0:
Last edited by Shingetsu on January 7th, 2016, 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » January 4th, 2016, 5:15 am

I was like "Wait... what?" seeing this, considering how it seems to not fit at all, but then noticed that it's correct, you've just swapped the opponents' names. :) Could you rewrite them, please?

(Where's my Darkmoon Eye? :P)

EDIT: :) Still "until x dies". Thank you.
Last edited by Paladance on January 4th, 2016, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Shingetsu

Post by Shingetsu » January 4th, 2016, 6:27 am

Wait... what.. where did I mess up. I think I'm blind.
Nevermind. Fixed it. Thanks for letting me know. ^^

// Edit: Fixed the "until x dies" part.
On a sidenote: The Christoph VonFeasl strategy is not as solid as I remembered it, or I messed up reproducing it out of my memory.
Last edited by Shingetsu on January 7th, 2016, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shardera
Pet Score:8606
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Shardera » January 4th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Myrdok wrote:Any specific team makeup you prefer for doing the garrison Halloween pets? Ive been experimenting but I haven't found anything super efficient yet.
I've been using this team to scrape up some last XP during the bonus week.

Carry Pet
Ghastly Kid: Hoof, Ethereal, Ghostly Bite
Darkmoon Tonk: Missile, Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon

The Ghastly Kid takes out the undead primaries well. I try to Hoof and then Ghostly Bite to finish them off (YMMV). The Ghastly Kid is pretty strong in general, so it can hold its own against the secondaries, too. Ethereal is nice against the Waterflies and their Lift-Off. Whenever a beast secondary enters, I switch to the Darkmoon Tonk. I like the Darkmoon Tonk because Shock and Awe and Ion Cannon hit hard and can speed things up.

To change things up, I've also been experimenting with another team:

Carry Pet
Tiny Flamefly: Alpha Strike, Immolation, Swarm
Darkmoon Tonk: Missile, Shock and Awe, Ion Cannon

I use Immolation and then Swarm the undead and the secondaries until Tiny Flamefly dies. Then I finish up with the Tonk.

Nanchyk
Pet Score:3321
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Nanchyk » January 8th, 2016, 6:03 am

Jerebear wrote:This is much faster than wild pet battles and also has the benefit of setting a small goal (finish as much as you can in an hour and then you are done). It is also wonderful for a 90+ alt as the quests give extra player EXP on top of what you get for the battle (you get around 25k+ total for the battle and quest x 18 = 450k+ EXP per night...half a level in most cases).
Can attest to that. I've been leveling my alts like that for over a year now (using only MoP until they hit 90) and it's fantastic. During the event, I level up to 10 pets from 1 to 25, not even mentioning how much exp the char gets. Used to combine the "daily grind" with Argent Dailies and it worked wonders.

P.S. Nice team/route tips. TY!

Darkchyld
Pet Score:13668
BattleTag®:Darkchyld#1345
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Darkchyld » January 8th, 2016, 8:58 pm

The strat I use for Christoph VonFeasel

Alpine Foxling [S/S] (2,2,2) I think any fox and breed will do though
Iron Starlette [P/P] (1,1,1) Also any breed will do

1) Dazzling Dance
2) Howl
3) Flurry til Syd is dead
4) Howl (Fox dies)
5) Wind-up
6) Wind-up (Mr. Pointy dies)
7) Swap to carry
8) Swap back
9) Wind-up
10) Supercharge
11) Wind-up

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 10th, 2016, 4:17 pm

I have to get a DK to level 85 on a PVP realm for a mount. I hit 75 last night, thanks to a combination of things. Every single heirloom I could possibly wear (including the Dread Pirate Ring!), a friend with a level 90 mage and a two person flying mount, who ported me to the Shrine and then flew me to Halfhill, and one awesome pet (and a backup).

I have a team in my rematch named "Halfhill Critter Killers" I use a Darkmoon cub, and a Flamering Moth, along with my carry pet. The Cub can solo most critter teams and end with full health, with proper use of Devour or Ravage (I can't remember which one the cub has). If an aquatic comes in, the Flamering Moth has alpha strike, healing flame, and moth dust. It's the only moth with a heal, so it can come out with pretty good health to, on the rare occasion you have to swap it in.

I've leveled a ton of pets, and my alt from 68 to 75, queuing for random dungeons as DPS while leveling the pets. I sold some pets on that realms AH to get the gold to buy the flying training I need to learn the mount.

The only sore spot is that, as a PVP realm, sometimes I get pulled out of a pet battle with one round to go, by someone 20+ levels higher than me, killed in a few shots, then laughed at as they spit on me. Seriously. I'm not worth any honor, and you're just making me body run. I don't fight back, if they camp my body I log off and go do something else. Rude people suck.

Sorry for the tangent, anyway, Darkmoon Cub/Flamering Moth/Carry for Valley of the Four Winds success.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Grognar
Pet Score:5540
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Grognar » January 10th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Myrdok wrote:
Krystenn wrote:Honestly, for me it depends on character level. If my character is 1-85, then it's valley of the four winds all the way. 85-90, Vale of Eternal Blossoms. 91+ I'd just find someone with halloween decorations and use their garrison. Instant respawn. I hate using 100's to level pets because the xp is free and why not take advantage. If you need a garrison with the decorations, let me know.
Any specific team makeup you prefer for doing the garrison Halloween pets? Ive been experimenting but I haven't found anything super efficient yet.
It may not be the most efficient for all 3 different pets, but I use the Kun-Lai Runt (2,2,2) my carry, and the Eternal Strider (2,1,2).

My typical fight starts as:
Frost Shock
Deep Freeze (Stuns)
Swap to carry
Swap to Eternal Strider (good against the undead)
Pump
Pump
continue from here... heal if there is a battler that dives or avoids the second pump

Note the strider sometimes dies, but the KLR always cleans up. This allows the carry pet to be level 1 and take no damage.

I fight the pet closest to the Menagerie so I can hop over and heal real quickly.