That moment when...

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us
That moment when...

Post by Milotha » January 4th, 2016, 4:30 pm

You finish a pet battle with a carry pet and it didn't ding. Then you realize you never subbed it in.

Scimytar
Pet Score:11026
Realm:Crushridge-us

Re: That moment when...

Post by Scimytar » January 4th, 2016, 10:30 pm

Or you Finish the Battle and notice that it died from a poison, bleed or team damage effect.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » January 5th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Both indeed!

Or when you capture a pet with [pet]Molten Corgi[/pet] and realise that [ability]Superbark[/ability] isn't up. Probably you have [ability]Flamethrower[/ability] up aswell. :lol:

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » January 5th, 2016, 4:53 pm

A little different, but I 'rename' all my non-25's to 'Level Next' with a macro, so I can hit the macro in the search field, and bring up all the pets I still need to level and and pick one. I know add-ons do it, but I started this practice way before that, and thought I had stuck with it pretty well until this bonus event week, when I 'finally' got all my owned pets to 25. Well, I decided to make sure, through the warcraftpets manage pet page, only to find out with less than an hour left to the event that I still had some non-rares and random pets I had missed.

Luckily, a friend reminded me to buy stones off the garrison vendor.

Not quite the same story, but the exhilaration of having finished a feat, only to have that 'still not done' feeling hit.
mykro9#1585

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » January 6th, 2016, 5:36 am

Paladance wrote:Both indeed!

Or when you capture a pet with [pet]Molten Corgi[/pet] and realise that [ability]Superbark[/ability] isn't up. Probably you have [ability]Flamethrower[/ability] up aswell. :lol:
Oh yeah, the oops I put up a dot on the pet I'm going to capture... I've also done the activate a 3 round ability on the pet before the one I want to capture and oh noes it critted and killed the first pet. I then to get to sit there and helplessly watch it kill the capture pet too.

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » January 6th, 2016, 5:37 am

Scimytar wrote:Or you Finish the Battle and notice that it died from a poison, bleed or team damage effect.
This always seems to happen on that last round. I'm going to make it. I'm going to make it. No.... :(

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » January 6th, 2016, 5:49 am

Mykro9 wrote:A little different, but I 'rename' all my non-25's to 'Level Next' with a macro, so I can hit the macro in the search field, and bring up all the pets I still need to level and and pick one. I know add-ons do it, but I started this practice way before that, and thought I had stuck with it pretty well until this bonus event week, when I 'finally' got all my owned pets to 25. Well, I decided to make sure, through the warcraftpets manage pet page, only to find out with less than an hour left to the event that I still had some non-rares and random pets I had missed.

Luckily, a friend reminded me to buy stones off the garrison vendor.

Not quite the same story, but the exhilaration of having finished a feat, only to have that 'still not done' feeling hit.
Oh macros.. so useful right up to the point they let you down.

I have a healing macro story. In WotLK I leveled up my pallie as ret. I'd been my guild's healer for a while, and right after I dinged we went into Naxx that night. I'd spent the time right before frantically resetting up my healing mouse-over macros and interface.

Things go OK, until one of the bosses, where I just cannot restore the tank's life no matter how fast I spam. We wipe and try again. In the middle of that boss battle it happens again. I suddenly realize that something has gone terribly wrong. All of my heals are now self targeting. No matter who I have selected or mouse-overed. They called it after that and no one realized what was going on.

I did some investigation afterwards and discovered that my old trusty macros I'd used for a long time now had the new feature. If I used shift key to self target myself, all of my subsequent heals were now self targetting until I used a spell that wasn't a macro.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 7th, 2016, 11:43 am

When you get up in the morning after leveling yourself and tons of pets the night before, and realize that, since you were ganked on the way to Halfhill, you weren't wearing your Safari Hat at all. (Darn you, PVP realm)

When you realize this halfway through your battle with Christoph von Feasel, and the decision is "to quit and use another token, or lose the XP?"
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Paladance

Post by Paladance » January 7th, 2016, 1:43 pm

When you set your damage output to the critter one (to counter other undeads) and enemy plays Ore Eater/Crusher…

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 7th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Mykro9 wrote:A little different, but I 'rename' all my non-25's to 'Level Next' with a macro, .
I do that I have the Level next group, the SELL group (duplicates), HOLD Breed (I still have hope there! :D
and STONE for the ones to stone next. I do keep a running queue in Rematch, but sometimes the ones at the top are in their 20's and I need a lvl 1-5.

But yeah on the Safari Hat. I have stopped battles to put that on! Especially now that I've been using Xu-Fu's excellent strategy for the Feasal/VonFeasal fights!

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » January 7th, 2016, 7:15 pm

When you find a Rare P/P [pet]Crimson Geode[/pet], lower its health for capturing, and it suicides with [ability]Stone Rush[/ability] :o
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » January 8th, 2016, 6:20 am

Vakeetah wrote:When you find a Rare P/P [pet]Crimson Geode[/pet], lower its health for capturing, and it suicides with [ability]Stone Rush[/ability] :o
Doh!

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 10th, 2016, 5:02 pm

When you captured a rare pet you didn't already have a rare of, you had one more round before the fight would be over, you were wearing your Safari Hat, Darkmoon Faire Top Hat, you swapped in your carry pet...and you get ganked by a Horde 20+ levels higher than you.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Vakeetah
Top Rater

Post by Vakeetah » January 10th, 2016, 5:19 pm

Darolyn wrote:When you captured a rare pet you didn't already have a rare of, you had one more round before the fight would be over, you were wearing your Safari Hat, Darkmoon Faire Top Hat, you swapped in your carry pet...and you get ganked by a Horde 20+ levels higher than you.
...or when, after weakening them and trying to capture, the button is greyed out because you already had 3 and forgot to release one :p

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 10th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Vakeetah wrote:
Darolyn wrote:When you captured a rare pet you didn't already have a rare of, you had one more round before the fight would be over, you were wearing your Safari Hat, Darkmoon Faire Top Hat, you swapped in your carry pet...and you get ganked by a Horde 20+ levels higher than you.
...or when, after weakening them and trying to capture, the button is greyed out because you already had 3 and forgot to release one :p
Or...you knew you only had one, and this is the breed you were looking for, but you have 1000 pets and can't capture another.

Or how about that moment when you finish a HotS match, you KNOW this is the one where you're going to get Graves, and you're 12474 XP short

That moment when....

Paladance

Post by Paladance » January 11th, 2016, 10:50 am

When you participate in the main menagerie battle for the daily and then you realise that you haven't picked up da quest yet.

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 11th, 2016, 11:37 am

Paladance wrote:When you participate in the main menagerie battle for the daily and then you realise that you haven't picked up da quest yet.
I do the menagerie battle on six toons a day. I'd say I forget the quest at least three times a week...probably more. Some days, I do it on more than one toon...

I also fall asleep often while playing WoW....laptop, bed, you get the idea. I can't tell you the number of times I've literally fallen asleep mid pet battle, woken up and it's after 3 am and dailies have reset.

(This morning, I woke up at 2:00 and realized I hadn't done Draenor tamers yet. Hopped onto the toon that needs gold the most (doesn't have epic flying) and did them all before 3 am...instead of going back to sleep. Yes, I have VERY poor sleeping habits.)

Milotha
Top Rater

Post by Milotha » January 11th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Paladance wrote:When you participate in the main menagerie battle for the daily and then you realise that you haven't picked up da quest yet.
I've done that quite a few times.

Here's mine for the day. You are doing a pet battle and for some reason it is taking forever due to a string of misses... This is always when my hour long dungeon or LFR queue decides it is time to pop and I queue in right before the finishing blow... Making me have do it all over again when I am done.

Vakeetah
Top Rater

Post by Vakeetah » January 13th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Milotha wrote:Here's mine for the day. You are doing a pet battle and for some reason it is taking forever due to a string of misses... This is always when my hour long dungeon or LFR queue decides it is time to pop and I queue in right before the finishing blow... Making me have do it all over again when I am done.
This! So much this!

In fact, even if you don't click it right away and make use of that 1-minute grace period, it ALWAYS seems to be 1 second short. Once I did finish the fight right on the very last second... but got no credit, XP, or anything, because that happens shortly after the fight is completely over! :?

Darolyn

Post by Darolyn » January 23rd, 2016, 7:07 pm

Another one...

That moment when you finish the tamer battle, mount up and fly off. Or hearth.

And realize you never turned in the quest.

(Gargra, last night.)