what's the current meta?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jbin6123
Pet Score:2103
what's the current meta?

Post by Jbin6123 » January 5th, 2016, 9:33 am

Hi, I'm a Korea-Hyjal user. I'm trying to get some advice and help about PVP, but many Koreans disregard pet battling, so I found my way here. Anyways, I'm trying to get some advice about breaking through the current meta in KR.

Firstly, while I've been trying out my teams, I met a guy and I was sure that the person I was fighting was a single person who was changing teams according to mine.

I've come to know that this guy has his favorite team, which just destroyed mt attempt against it.

The team is: Vengeful Porcupette/Graves/Bone Serpent (sorry but don't know how to post url would someone help me?)

This team destroys enemy Undeads via Vengeful Porcupette, and has excellent coverage with Bone Serpent. And you can't leave Graves out of this, with his AoEs. Overly, I've been overpowered by this team, The best I've been able to come up against this was Iron Starlette/Ghastly Kid/Weebo team, and it took a lot of mindgames just to win the game.

Other variations are

Ghastly Kid/Graves/Bone Serpent
/or Weebo

There are other things but they aren't organized right now.

The question is this: How does one break through the undead metagame? Please help.

Myfurion
Pet Score:13667
Realm:Sargeras-us

Re: what's the current meta?

Post by Myfurion » January 5th, 2016, 3:13 pm

My suggestion is to use Frostwolf Ghostpup. Scratch hurts the undead very badly, haunting song to heal your team or refuge to protect the main pet + any critters, and ghostly bite as a strong move to use right before swapping the pet. Considering they like aoe with graves, and bone serpent seems to be there to counter healing, I think refuge may be the right choice in case they use call darkness + nocturnal strike, as the frostwolf pup is faster.

Depending on what the 3rd pet he brings, I would suggest an aquatic pet that will take less damage from undead moves, and can change weather away from darkness, as well as not take increased damage from beasts like an extra critter would. The ideal pets for this would be the Blue / green / red / white tiny carps, as they can make the weather advantageous to aquatics. The weakness with this is he may try to counter by using a terroclaw hatchling to get in more flying damage on the aquatics.

In that case, your best third pet would likely be a dragonkin, or non aqautic. that can deal arcane damage or aquatic. You have a few choices here, however I would advise a Nexus Whelpling or Curious Oracle Hatchling . Because the teroclaw will swap to elemental and take aquatic damage, you may want to use a non dragonkin with aquatic moves. Nexus whelpling has arcane winds + Mana surge to deal large damage to any pet he has out ( except for teroclaw dodging). Curious oracle hatchling is good on a couple fronts, but terrible on others. It is humanoid, and thus will die quickly to aoe from graves without healing or graves dying before a second set of aoe gets off. However, it has water jet to hurt the elemental teroclaw, and backflip to interrupt graves or bone serpent because COH is faster.

Another good 3rd pet is Spirit Crab, an undead with snap, surge, and shell shield. It has very high hp, so the shield is useful against small damaging moves like the bone barrage. The surge makes this pet faster than the potential teroclaw hatchling, which means it will for sure get damage off in case of dodge. The snap is a beast type move, so it is not particulary good against any pets he will likely use, but it is decent.

The combination of Frostwolf Ghostpup, a Tiny carp (my preference for this situation is white, it has dive and can avoid nocturnal strike, or just avoid any hit and deal decent damage, cleansing rain as a small heal but gets rid of the call darkness effect and buffs aquatic damage. You can use Water jet for some good damage too), and Spirit Crab or any good 3rd pet you can think of, should be able to fight off the specific combo you mention. (as a side note, I would encourage trying graves as your third pet if you have him, as he would make an excellent clean up pet after their graves is dead)

My advice is to start out with frostwolf ghostpup and use scratch to end Graves or bone serpent quickly. Their strength lies in the fact few run pets that can actually kill either pet quickly, and getting them to their last round of life faster means you take less aoe damage. Ghostpup can end either within 3 rounds by using scratch. scratch, ghostly bite. The stun won't matter much because they will be "dead" or you can swap to another pet to begin countering the next one.

Finally, if he is killing your ghostpup with the vengeful porcupette, You may need to bring in a mechanical that will deal with it. Iron starlette would work, or darkmoon zeppelin, and a few others. the iron starlette can combo any of his pets down with the wind up + supercharge + wind up combo.

Jbin6123

Post by Jbin6123 » January 6th, 2016, 9:35 am

[quote="Myfurion"]My suggestion is to use Frostwolf Ghostpup. Scratch hurts the undead very badly, haunting song to heal your team or refuge to protect the main pet + any critters, and ghostly bite as a strong move to use right before swapping the pet. Considering they like aoe with graves, and bone serpent seems to be there to counter healing, I think refuge may be the right choice in case they use call darkness + nocturnal strike, as the frostwolf pup is faster.

Thanks for the reply, but I've been trying to not use any undead, I'm pretty sure that not many users had ghostpup(I have one though), but whenever I try to counter the undead metagame they usually bring in Ghastly Kid-cosume user(mostly weebo and graves). When I build an undead team using my own gastly kid, I saw my opponent bring in sea calf. I hate to admit but I do use my own undead team as well, and in a lot of variations using weebo, graves, bone serpent and stiched pup(raising ghostpup)
I'll try my best to best utilize the pets you mentioned. To be honest, there are very few players in Korean pet battle system, so few people just rule the metagame. Thankfully I have almost all pets mentioned. but right now I'm trying to sort out the teams used in Korea, i'll post more later.

Again, thanks for the reply

Rayjin
Pet Score:11984
BattleTag®:Rayjin#2322
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rayjin » January 6th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Graves + Fragment of Anger + Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is the best Combo for farming wins, because the matches are not that long.
I used that team to get my last 1500 wins for the Legendary Pet Brawler Achievement.
When the Pet Battle Bonus Event happens you have easly 95-99% win chance.

Jbin6123

Post by Jbin6123 » January 7th, 2016, 9:58 am

Rayjin wrote:Graves + Fragment of Anger + Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is the best Combo for farming wins, because the matches are not that long.
I used that team to get my last 1500 wins for the Legendary Pet Brawler Achievement.
Thanks for the reply. Now that you mention it, I do remember other people running Graves/Fragment of anger +@ AoE set. Right now, I am quite sure that the undead has a death grip on Korean metagame. How do you counter Fragment of anger? It doesn't lack AoE or singular hits. It does have a weak body, but I found my team tireing before the two AoEs, MPD not counting

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » January 7th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Unfortunately, Jbin, the Undead have a grip on ALL metas - those 2 extra rounds of pain are simply too good to pass. I dislike using them, too, but I have to at least acknowledge their power...

A reasonable way to deal with these undead AoE teams is [ability]Sandstorm[/ability]. Unfortunately, [pet]Anubisath Idol[/pet] and [pet]Qiraji Guardling[/pet] are Humanoid, and as such, easy prey for [pet]Graves[/pet], [pet]Weebomination[/pet], or [pet]Fossilized Hatchling[/pet] (although they can deal with the [pet]Fragment of Anger[/pet] just fine)

There are other non-humanoid options, such as [pet]Living Sandling[/pet] or [pet]Enchanted Broom[/pet], you may want to give those a shot and see what happens (the Elementals also have the bonus of being immune to [ability]Call Darkness[/ability], which helps against [pet]Bone Serpent[/pet], yet another popular Undead)

My personal choice is a [pet]Silithid Hatchling[/pet], which is... well, a bad pet, but fits well the bill of anti-Undead-AoE teams thanks to [ability]Sandstorm[/ability] and [ability]Scratch[/ability]. Unfortunately, it doesn't fare well against other kinds of pets... :(
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » January 7th, 2016, 11:58 pm

Rayjin wrote:Graves + Fragment of Anger + Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling is the best Combo for farming wins, because the matches are not that long.
Unfortunate result of the Achievements for getting the pet reward and then going for ridiculous number of PvP wins, means people aren't testing their skills, they're using whatever team they've read about that almost always guarantees a win, over and over again, so they can jump into another battle. It's kinda brutal for the more casual battler who runs up against them, especially the newcomers who then decide that this is dumb and swear off PvP Pet stuff forever.

Rayjin
Pet Score:11984
BattleTag®:Rayjin#2322
Realm:Blackrock-eu

Post by Rayjin » January 9th, 2016, 3:54 am

if you go for the 5k win Achievment you are just grinding and to be honest that has nothing to do with "showing off skill".
Yeah it is brutal for new players but its the same with normal PvP and lets be fair the PetPvP matchmaking is not very good :)

Jbin6123

Post by Jbin6123 » January 9th, 2016, 6:59 am

Rayjin wrote:if you go for the 5k win Achievment you are just grinding and to be honest that has nothing to do with "showing off skill".
Yeah it is brutal for new players but its the same with normal PvP and lets be fair the PetPvP matchmaking is not very good :)
yeah I'm aiming for 500wins as well but the problem is, in Korean realm I can know exactly what team my opponents will bring out. I've been in the game long enough to notice that there are only two or three regular players(including me)

I think that no teams can stand up to undead barrage, I just can't think its fair. In the end, I use his tactics against him, whilst I try to think up of a way to totally destroy undeads.

So far, I've been trying out Vakeetah and Myfurion's advice(thank you very much!), and Frostwolf ghostpup was excellent choice against undead AoEs, though it is cripling on other teams.

Chrominius and Pandaren water elemental set worked as well, but I still think these kinds of OHKO set is dangerous to run thanks to ghastly kid and teroclaw hatchling.

As Rayjin pointed out, I had my enemy bring out that particular set, and I'm still lost at how to make a breakthorugh on that particular set.

I've been in this too long to be considered a newb, but I need to do a lot of homework.

Jbin6123

Post by Jbin6123 » January 16th, 2016, 6:58 am

OK, I carried out some tests, and I found that a mix of Graves and Frostwolf ghostpup is extremely effective. today, I went up against lighting storm team, sand I used living sandling to destroy that particular team, with the healing of ghostpup. As I play more and more games, I increasingly find that the undead is good, and AoE build is equally good as well but none of them are unbreakable. The real problem is when they mix, especially fragment of anger and graves. sandstorm and Ghostpup is equally effective against the undead AoE metagame, and I'm still thinking of what to put inside the last slot.

I also found out that provided the nonexistence of undead Anubysas idol is still one of the most powerful pet out there, great for stalling while being good at heavily hitting as well. I tried out living sandling today, while it is good it is little hard to use, depending on the team you are facing it can be outpaced or outpace anubysass idol.

I'll be trying out of dragon meta, though I seriously doubt the power thanks to all those undead pets.

I'll be tyring out emerald proto whelp and nexus whelp, infinite and the undead one

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » January 23rd, 2016, 9:26 am

If you can't beat them- join them ;)

Graves, Scourged Whelpling (H/H breed), Weebomination - will even beat out other undead teams with it's brutal AOE.

Most of the time, I don't even need to drag out the Weebomination (against non-undead teams). It's an ugly, nasty, ridiculous team. But, you'll win.

The real nugget of this team is of course the Scourged Whelpling (who you bring out second *after* using Graves to his full AOE potential) - use an H/H breed whelp who has 1806 hps to plow through and all the while you are having him use his Breath attack, which seems weak, because it's ~100 per round, but because of his high hit points, you do at least 4-6 rounds of damage to him and his backline. Oftentimes, his backline will just die and then you will do even more damage to his front pet.

The Weebom is really just a sweeper against most other teams. Against other tricky undead teams, a lucky Haymaker often wins it soundly. But if you don't want to risk the 50% chance Haymaker then his #1 ability is fine too - against 1 target it does a decent 334 dmg.