Share pet collecting news and advice.
Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu
Murphy's Laws on Battle Pets

Post by Paladance » December 19th, 2015, 3:49 am

Not sure if here, in Battling or in CS.
If anything can go wrong, it will
Have you experienced some stupid cases of RNG's "bad sense of humour"? ;)

My example (though does apply also to other items if it's possible):
After spending quite a pretty gold on a sought pet, it drops immediately during a casual encounter.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Re: Murphy's Laws on Battle Pets

Post by Darolyn » December 19th, 2015, 11:42 am

Paladance wrote:Not sure if here, in Battling or in CS.

After spending quite a pretty gold on a sought pet, it drops immediately during a casual encounter.
Bush Chicken. Got FOUR of them during Pilgrim's Bounty this year, after getting zero last year and trading quite handsomely for one.

Speaking of...anyone need a Bush Chicken? ;)
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Sun_smasher
Pet Score:3850
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Sun_smasher » December 19th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Darolyn wrote:
Paladance wrote:Not sure if here, in Battling or in CS.

Bush Chicken. Got FOUR of them during Pilgrim's Bounty this year, after getting zero last year and trading quite handsomely for one.

Speaking of...anyone need a Bush Chicken? ;)
LoL I didn't get a bush chicken. SUNSMASHER#1875 add me and we can talk!

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » December 19th, 2015, 7:03 pm

Oh Mr Pinchy... I fished for hours and hours and hours for you in BC but never got the pet. I finally decided to give him another go in Cata. Again I fished for hours on end. I said to myself one more cast and I will give up. I caught him on that cast. I was so stunned that I hit the cast button again starring at my Wish giver with joy. I caught another one. More stunned I cast again, and got yet a third one. I got him on my first wish.

Now for good luck I always say one last time.

Madja
MVP
Pet Score:8947
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Madja » December 19th, 2015, 9:46 pm

(Un)fortunately I don't really have any pet stories like this, but I do have one regarding mounts if that's okay? :)

I had been farming Magister's Terrace for weeks in order to get the toy and the mount. I finally got the mount, but still needed the toy, so I continued farming it. The next 3 kills all gave me the mount. It seems an amazing coincidence to get the mount 4 times in a row before even seeing the toy!

Also a slightly related, sadder, story is when I was farming rep in The Black Temple on my druid. The very first Illidan kill on that character gave me a glaive and I got the second glaive the next day after reset. Unfortunately I cannot get the achievement, as druids can't equip them :cry:

I hope I didn't derail the thread! I just wanted to share my ironic RNG stories :)
Screenshot Upload Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15596

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 20th, 2015, 3:41 am

I don't mind anything, just hope that mods don't mind either! :lol:

That has reminded me how I had the mount twice before I looted a [pet]Proto-Drake Whelp[/pet] from that wicked egg… Still no comparison, tho!

Another thing that applies at least to me:

[ability]Mana Surge[/ability] tends to waste at least one charge on dodge or other form of avoidance.
If there is no avoidance, it wastes a charge on the last remaining 1-200 health points.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » December 20th, 2015, 12:42 pm

The mana surge story reminds me of every time it's the bird pet daily. Most of the time it'll surge all three down and I have to cast one extra atk. Sometimes the first pet is left with like 5 hp and all my surges get wasted :\

As for pets most of mine are buying stories. I'll think a price is settled so I buy it, then the pet actually settles at 1-2k less within a week of the purchase.

Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Noxiish » December 20th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Another mount story, sorry. Actually had Ashes of Al'ar drop on my second run ever of that instance, back in MoP. Had only joined WoW a few weeks before that, and my friend that had played for 6+ years rightly won the roll. I've already accepted the fact that I'll never see it drop again, and over two years later, that's holding true.

Those multiple rare drop stories are crazy though. The luck! These are a lot of fun to read.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » December 21st, 2015, 11:54 am

Noxiish wrote:Another mount story, sorry. Actually had Ashes of Al'ar drop on my second run ever of that instance, back in MoP. Had only joined WoW a few weeks before that, and my friend that had played for 6+ years rightly won the roll. I've already accepted the fact that I'll never see it drop again, and over two years later, that's holding true.

Those multiple rare drop stories are crazy though. The luck! These are a lot of fun to read.
That exact same thing happened to me with Ashes of A'lar. I ran with a guild group back in cata or early wrath I think, and it dropped within my first ten runs of the place. Over 100 kills later, my main still has yet to see it again but I ran on my warrior and she got the drop after 7 kills...

My alts seem to have much better luck sometimes than my main- Flametalon, Azure Drake, Onyxian Drake, Ashes of A'lar all dropped in the first ten runs on them.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 21st, 2015, 1:41 pm

Opallena wrote:
Noxiish wrote:Another mount story, sorry. Actually had Ashes of Al'ar drop on my second run ever of that instance, back in MoP. Had only joined WoW a few weeks before that, and my friend that had played for 6+ years rightly won the roll. I've already accepted the fact that I'll never see it drop again, and over two years later, that's holding true.

That exact same thing happened to me with Ashes of A'lar. I ran with a guild group back in cata or early wrath I think, and it dropped within my first ten runs of the place. Over 100 kills later, my main still has yet to see it again but I ran on my warrior and she got the drop after 7 kills...

My alts seem to have much better luck sometimes than my main- Flametalon, Azure Drake, Onyxian Drake, Ashes of A'lar all dropped in the first ten runs on them.
At least instance/raid mounts are account wide! I got the legendary bow from Sunwell THREE TIMES on my druid alt before my Hunter alt saw it. Also, I ran a friend's Warlock through on my Druid one of the times it dropped. The ONLY time I ever ran that friend's Warlock instead of HER Hunter. Seriously. Why that bow eludes Hunters, I do not know. But I did finally get it on my Hunter, and got it on her Hunter. It drops a lot more than you'd think.

Have yet to see the glaives, or any of the pieces to Thunderblahblahblah, Blessed Blah of the Blah....though I ran Molten Core and Black Temple all the way to exalted, respectively...
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 23rd, 2015, 2:28 pm

My alts always get better drop from Moonfang, including a Moon Moon, though they can't seriously contribute to the fight. :)

Not about a pet either, but…

Since the second or third day of Feast of Winter Veil, I've literally begged goblins for good stuff from the daily.
No pets so far, but besides mere wastes of space (including a BoP duplicate) I've gotten a missing toy.
Still couldn't get a Crashin' Thrashin' Flyer that is needed to the achievement.

Recently I was so annoyed by yet another grindgear toy gorillas that I started to throw Savage Snowballs at the Alliance hub goblin.
Right now, I've completed the daily on the Horde, but forgotten about my pseudo-RP scene.
And a Flyer dropped! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I guess that now I'll get a loads of pets because I've purchased them all, including Lumpy for 3k that was on AH so long that there appeared the next ones for 1k! (Someone has mentioned that law already. ;p)

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » December 24th, 2015, 11:35 am

Kind of a generic story... but you know, those times where an enemy [ability]Shock and Awe[/ability] both Crits AND Stuns, ruining the training session :p
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!

Paladance

Post by Paladance » December 25th, 2015, 2:34 am

I still do remember your Fen Crab story from Tanaan and a bad karma that "accompanied" you before. :P

I had accidentally bidden on two Sapphire Cubs. Won bids on both.
Not a big loss, but at least I know that I should keep my expenses in mind (Blizz' API is broken).

(C'mon, my guildie, I have already kept two reserved pets for you! :mrgreen:)

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » December 29th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Mount story to fit in this thread.

I have been trying to get up to the 300 mount achieve. I also do a LOT of AH selling, so gold generally isn't an issue. I check the BMAH every day as soon as the items are posted. (I will have you some day Mim's head.) One day, I saw the Ragnaros firehawk posted. I immediately gold capped it, to make sure I would win it.

Flash forward two months. I'm getting bored, so I decide to work on the cata legendary staff for my main, who is a shadow priest. I am hunting for the first collection task, and the first clear of Rag, the damned thing drops. Sigh, 960k gold that I'll never see again.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Vakeetah
Top Rater
Pet Score:9677
Realm:Dragonblight-eu

Post by Vakeetah » December 30th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Heh, just had a generally good event (scoring a critical strike) turn into a disaster!

To put you in situation, it involves the not-broken-at-all [ability]Early Advantage[/ability]!

My [pet]Infinite Whelpling[/pet] "Chronos" totally done and dusted after dealing with the likes of [pet]Graves[/pet], was the last-whelp-standing against an enemy [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] who also had got his own share of pain.

The odds were grim for me. He had something like 680 health, and my whelpling had little over 200 - so he wouldn't survive being bashed with Sulfuras again!

Having the Speed advantage over him, and a sufficient difference in Health, I was certain that [ability]Early Advantage[/ability] would win me the match (dealing 700+ damage). But then, the first hit was a Critical, for 540... Just enough to bring him below my own HP, thus negating the second hit.

Needless to say, the hammer did fall right after - as expected :(
- Thanks to Paladance for the sig!