Pet Score:2223
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us
Find pets using NPCScan

Post by Eggsampler » May 23rd, 2013, 11:37 pm

Requirements:
  • NPCScan (obviously)
  • A text editor
  • Time and effort
Basically the problem with finding pets using NPCScan is that the pet journal caches the model as soon as wow loads. The idea behind this trick is we break a few functions that the pet journal uses which stops the models from loading and thus being cached.

First step is to disable all addons except npcscan. While not really necessary as such, I found it easier :)
Next, open your wow/interface/addons/_NPCScan folder, find a file called _NPCScan.lua and open it in your text editor.
Add the following three lines to the top of the file,

Code: Select all

C_PetJournal.GetPetInfoByPetID = function(id) return 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 end
C_PetJournal.GetPetInfoByIndex = function(id) return 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 end
C_PetJournal.GetNumPets = function() return 0,0 end
Save and close the file.
Clear your wow cache and get hunting!
(Don't forget to add the pet id's to npcscan, also while opening the pet journal will probably throw up loads of errors, best not to do this as it might cache the pets you're after).

Once you're finished and want to use your pet journal normally, just disable npcscan until you want it again or remove the above three lines from the file.

Hope this helps some people.

NB: The model may get cached if you see someone who has the pet out following them (rare hunter pets suffer from this, too)

Apocalyptica
Pet Score:1863
BattleTag®:Apocalyptica#1388
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Re: Find pets using NPCScan

Post by Apocalyptica » May 24th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Thank you SO much for posting this! I tried everything last night to get my NPCscan to work and it just would not! But after reading and trying this this morning I had mine with in the first half hour of flying around! :D

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » May 24th, 2013, 12:32 pm

is this all we have to input. I'm looking for the Unborn Val'kyr. Does this pet have an ID we need to also input?

Thanks

Warlock
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Warlock » May 24th, 2013, 1:17 pm

FYI, much easier solution. Go to pet journal and turn off pets you haven't collected. NPCScan will only fire if the pet being searched for is in the list when pet journal is opened (alternatively, just don't open pet journal at all.. but this is a bigger hassle :p)

Of course, make sure you clear cache after doing this.

Ravnhawk
MVP

Post by Ravnhawk » May 24th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Sorry but I am a bit confused as to how to do this and what the petbreed id is for the unborn.

Thanks

Shoecup
MVP
Pet Score:5243
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Shoecup » May 24th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Ravnhawk wrote:Sorry but I am a bit confused as to how to do this and what the petbreed id is?

To find any ID of a npc, you can do a search on wowhead. The ID will be in the link, ex:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=71163

Ravnhawk
MVP

Post by Ravnhawk » May 24th, 2013, 4:31 pm

Thanks! I've been flying around spamming a macro so going to try this as well. Two options should make it a bit easier

Apocalyptica
Pet Score:1863
BattleTag®:Apocalyptica#1388
Realm:Shu'halo-us

Post by Apocalyptica » May 24th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Warlock wrote:FYI, much easier solution. Go to pet journal and turn off pets you haven't collected. NPCScan will only fire if the pet being searched for is in the list when pet journal is opened (alternatively, just don't open pet journal at all.. but this is a bigger hassle :p)

Of course, make sure you clear cache after doing this.
Just for the record I turned everything off in my pet journal and never opened it. After logging off, clearing my cache the second I would log back in NPCscan would go off and no Valk in sight. So this was the only thing that worked for me. If other people are having trouble getting their NPCscan to work this is a million times easier and quicker than a macro or TomTom because I tried both as well. With this all I had to do was auto fly on my mount, tab out of the game and wait to hear NPCscan. Took me all of 30 minutes.

Eggsampler
Pet Score:2223
Realm:Jubei'Thos-us

Post by Eggsampler » May 29th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Warlock wrote:FYI, much easier solution. Go to pet journal and turn off pets you haven't collected. NPCScan will only fire if the pet being searched for is in the list when pet journal is opened (alternatively, just don't open pet journal at all.. but this is a bigger hassle :p)
I've heard reports of this working and of it not working and personally it didn't work for me as the pets would be cached immediately on login regardless. That said, you can use this method to afk at pet spawn locations without the need for spamming macros or visual checks, can alt tab and watch movies :)

Ackis
Pet Score:2647
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Ackis » May 31st, 2013, 1:49 am

This is a very interesting idea.

Would you mind if I possibly imported it in to Collectinator?

Deucilon
Top Rater
Pet Score:3113

Post by Deucilon » December 5th, 2015, 11:39 am

could you post a screen cap of what the file looks like when the code you wrote is correctly added? I am not sure I am pasting the code in the correct place. Does it matter?