No helpful video guides on YouTube.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Painbow
Pet Score:10044
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us
No helpful video guides on YouTube.

Post by Painbow » October 27th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I'm having a very difficult time finding a tutorial or guide on Youtube showing how to quickly and efficiently level your first pets from 1-25. The best video I found was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB9HC1Ol2kQ

If you read the comments, they almost all are having trouble and I know exactly why: the author of the video left out so much information. When I began to get into pet battles, I used "Vutter's Guide to Pet Battles" on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/28dl28/vutters_guide_to_pet_battles_and_stuff/

It was fantastic. I used the leapfrog method of taking my low level pets to capture Arcane Eyes, then to Dragonbone Hatchlings, on to Vale of Eternal Blossoms. I remember it being a very painful process and the comments in the video above are showing similar issues.

Two days ago I used the method again from scratch on a brand new battlenet account; I started completely from scratch, and despite knowing a lot about pet battles now, it still took me 3-4 hours to finally get to Vale of Eternal Blossoms and begin the grind there. This 3-4 hours is WITH the Safari Helmet (somehow it's the only toy that survived the new battlenet account transfer.) I captured most of it on Twitch, but I don't need to post it.

Because I see that people are still struggling, I'm thinking of making a tutorial video -- one that can actually help people who are clueless to pet battles. I don't think anyone's been convincing or thorough in any tutorial I've seen so far. They almost all assume you've already got level 25 pets and are trying to power level.

With the Ultimate Battle Training Stone, is there even a point to making a video like this? Is there a better method that I don't know about? I'd like to encourage more people to get into pet battles but I think part of it is not a single video on youtube speaks to newcomers in the right way. I think I could do it given this leapfrog method is still worthwhile.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: No helpful video guides on YouTube.

Post by Jerebear » October 27th, 2015, 3:45 pm

With the ultimate stones so easily gotten I would more focus on those and which pet to choose first. It needs to be good enough to solo something so you can grind up your 2nd 25 (unless you have lots of alts...not all do though). Then once you get a couple of good pets, maybe detail how to build up some good teams to level other pets (using the tamers).

As far as the leap frog method: I've seen the video, but the only glaring omission I caught would be more emphasizing getting rare Arcane Eyes (makes the dragonbone hatchling part a bit better) and mentioning the backline pets can vary. What did it leave out that you feel is critical? I think 3-4 hours with safari hat (3.5 to 4.5 without) isn't too terrible considering the amount of time it takes without leap frogging and the amount of content the levelling process is supposed to represent. That said, I agree with you that it might be outdated with the stones available.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Painbow

Post by Painbow » October 27th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Jerebear wrote: What did it leave out that you feel is critical?
Just read the comments on that video. Everyone is frustrated and saying the method doesn't work. You have to remember that pet battles is completely different than anything else in wow, so when you say something like, "Try to capture a rare" or "Get a P/P breed of Dragonbone Hatchling" they don't know what the hell you're talking about. It needs to be explained like you're five years old for many people.

The big issue I saw is during the Dragonbone captures, two back rabbit pets is almost guaranteed a loss for you. You have to know when to fold 'em.

Also, nobody mentioned that Arcane Eyes near Karazhan aren't always up. I had to do some tricky realm hopping to find some (I couldn't realm hop alone on my level 5 character).

I thought of so many things that weren't explained in the video above that could have saved a lot of people a lot of frustration.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » October 27th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I think we'll probably disagree with the criticalness of all that you mentioned (some I agree and some I don't), but regardless, I think your comment on how the new stones changes how we approach levelling our first pets to 25 is spot on. I would focus on that method, specifically:

1. First pet to choose. A lot of people say Anubisath Idol or a Crab, but I really think it should be something that can solo something high enough to level a 2nd pet quickly (like flyer's versus the vale aquatics or the rotten helper vs the Icespine hatchling packs). You seem to have a better grasp on what most people trip up on than I do, so you can probably figure out a good first pet (one that is decently easy to obtain).

2. Then you need to decide the "end game" of the guide. At the end of the guide, how did you want people to level the remaining pets or what point did you want to stop the guide? If you plan on setting up the reader with a few WoD teams, figure out what those should be and work backwards so that your guide details how to build those teams (which initial pets, which tamers, etc.).

3. Then go back and figure out any of the "gotchas" or extra info you think a completely new person might need.

I do think you are right in that there is a need for something better than what is currently out there. You have a good perspective on how other guides have failed, so I am excited to see what you put together.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Africanleopard » October 28th, 2015, 10:11 am

Coming from a different perspective there is still a need for a leveling tutorial. The ultimate battlestone is unavailable to people that are just starting out with WoW and have no level 100s.

I know i struggled with leveling pets myself - most people forget that there are still folks starting the game or not at 100 with a menagerie. For eg my nephew is only level 72 and is interested in pet battles. His biggest challenge is leveling pets. We are in different countries with a 7 hour difference so it is hard to help him out - he is 13.

One of my gripes I have with for eg wowhead is that people put down strategies for hard to obtain pets - the Unborn Valkyrie is a typical example. Many pets are quite expensive on the AH as well.

So, a leveling strategy using in the wild pets would be an awesome idea. Just my 2 cents.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » October 28th, 2015, 11:48 am

If you are using the stone to level your first pet, then I personally recommend the Darkmoon cub. It is fast, easy to get, has a self heal, and can usually solo the critter fights in the Valley around Halfhill. The critters also respawn quickly there, and thanks to the heal from Devour you rarely need to return to town to heal your pets. I used this method to level the vast majority of my pets

Gracin
Pet Score:3449
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Gracin » October 28th, 2015, 12:44 pm

I agree that a good leveling tutorial would still be nice to have. I didn't really get into pet battles because until later in MoP, and most of the reason I became bored by how slow the leveling process was. I finally found the leap frog guide, and outside of the aforementioned problems catching dragonbone hatchlings because of the rabbit extras it worked out pretty well. If I had the patience, I'd look around for another option for easier level 18-21 flyers to obtain because those rabbits and even the penguins can really put a damper on nabbing the hatchlings. As far as a starter pet goes, from what I've seen most go mechanical and it works well for obvious reasons. As to which mech to choose, I'd bypass everything and go with MPD if you can afford it. I've seen them on my realm for as low as around 800g. If you bought mats I'd say you could probably get one made for around 400g, which should be more than easy for anyone who has quested to level 70(probably 60).

Gridlock
Pet Score:4505
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gridlock » October 28th, 2015, 8:46 pm

Explain about breeds.

Advise people to get BreedID add-on.

Maybe do an over view of "must have" add-ons.

Moth's are amazing. Can easily solo a variety of pets.Yellow moth P/P from AH or buy direct from Sixx <Moth Keeper> at The Exodar. Nice and cheap, a great starter pet.

Explain Which talents to use and why.

Level 100s can use the stone for an insta 25, again I'd suggest a moth as first level 25 pet.

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » October 30th, 2015, 7:18 am

I'd recommend the following strategy.

1) Use your Ultimate Battle Stone to get a pet to 25. I would pick a bear pet since it has a self heal and good dps vs critters. roar + rampage = 4 turns of dps for 2 clicks, followed by a heal to usually nearly full. I can usually solo whole teams with 1 bear.

2) Buy a cheap level 25 pet off the AH or borrow one from a friend.

3) Use these two pets to level others.

Gracin

Post by Gracin » October 30th, 2015, 8:54 am

On the subject of breeds, maybe lightly touch on why specific breeds are generally accepted as "best" for a particular pet. For example, I think it's acceptable that a S/S rabbit is "usually" the best way to go. This would give noobies a good idea of what to shoot for when they really being collecting.

I'm kind of on against the use of Ultimate Battle Stone. I think it should be covered in the video, but I don't think new pet battlers of any level(1-100) should use it when they first get started. I know some of us, including myself, approve of the fast leap frog leveling strategy, but at least while using this strat you actually gain knowledge about leveling an collecting wild pets that are similar levels as you are.

Painbow

Post by Painbow » October 30th, 2015, 9:38 am

Gracin wrote:On the subject of breeds, maybe lightly touch on why specific breeds are generally accepted as "best" for a particular pet. For example, I think it's acceptable that a S/S rabbit is "usually" the best way to go. This would give noobies a good idea of what to shoot for when they really being collecting.

I'm kind of on against the use of Ultimate Battle Stone. I think it should be covered in the video, but I don't think new pet battlers of any level(1-100) should use it when they first get started. I know some of us, including myself, approve of the fast leap frog leveling strategy, but at least while using this strat you actually gain knowledge about leveling an collecting wild pets that are similar levels as you are.
You're right, and thank you everyone for the feedback so far.

I keep thinking of things that made me upset when initially starting pet battles for the first time. Nobody ever seemed to explain how pet spawning works, or that you can force respawns of pets by left clicking a wild pet and using an actual character damage spell on it to kill it instantly.
Everybody, for whatever reason, suggested that you keep battling the same pets until you get a rare version of the breed you want. I feel with how easy Flawless Battle-Stones etc are to get these days that you should just get the pet in any quality--except for the Arcane Eye and possibly Dragonbone Hatchling.

I actually feel that the best two pets to level in Vale are Anubisoth Idol and a P/P Emerald Proto-Whelp. Why? Because I distinctly remember the first time pet battles really kicked into gear and it was when I followed the "Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For beginners" -- [url]http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4580[/url] -- you can kill all MoP tamers with those two pets.
It was so much faster than 300-500XP from Vale of Eternal Blossoms, so I think I'm going to recommend that route.

I'm still trying to find a reliable place to level pets from 1-10 or so quickly. I only know of two places -- Icespine Hatchlings in Frostfire Ridge using a P/P Zandalari Anklerender and a Feline Familiar. They both have devour, but Feline is way more expensive. The problem is the only way to get there if you're low level is to be summoned there, but I'm the kind of person who would do that if that's the best low level pet level method.

Then there's the Veiled Star in Valley of the Four Winds using beast pets with devour. I tried this a few times and every single time there was a lack of pet respawns, so I gave up every time.

Mistfall Village in Vale of Eternal Blossoms with the Dragonbone Hatchling is all right with good spawn times, but the speed to kill the aquatics is slow and the XP low. I don't really like it. I actually think the pool of water near "No-No" in Vale of Eternal Blossoms using a couple of P/P Yellow Moths is better than the aquatics.

I wish I had actual scientifically objective information on this. I hate giving people bad advice or an inferior method.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » October 30th, 2015, 1:16 pm

I see that you have levelled a [pet]Teroclaw Hatchling[/pet].
You can put it in the place of Anubisath Idol or Emerald Proto-Whelp.
And combining [ability]Alpha Strike[/ability] with [ability]Ravage[/ability], you have a support for the fights in Pandaria wild that you were talking about. :)

(Just don't be tempted by [ability]Nature's Ward[/ability] instead in that case. :P)

By the way, [pet]Ikky[/pet] helps in beating Beasts of Fable a lot.
I've seen him soloing Dos-Ryga, one of the most annoying opponents among them, though I can't guarantee that it's a rule.

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Gracin

Post by Gracin » October 30th, 2015, 1:28 pm

I definitely back the idea of just worrying about catching proper breeds, and dealing with their rarity later with stones. Let's be honest, outside of the Eye and Hatchling(it can be done) you can pretty much get through leveling with even common pets. But having the proper breeds, for the moment are needing them to be rare is a time saver.

I had completely forgotten about Emerald Proto-Whelp, such a monster of a pet when it comes to damage and healing. You might wanna throw in a P/S or S/S Flayer Youngling.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » October 31st, 2015, 7:22 am

Don't forget about Chrominius, he was absolutely my go to tank/dps/heal for my early leveling forays.

Gracin

Post by Gracin » October 31st, 2015, 8:23 am

I know most who will view the guide likely are at max level or at least 80+, and most of those should have some money to drop into getting started. But let's face it, as experienced battlers maybe we take for granted that we can throw a few thousand gold for a pet to help us out. Unfortunately not everyone has the ability to do so, some might not have the funds because they are lower level, and some people are just bad at making/saving gold. So maybe a section should be included to help different level ranges with what they can easily access as far as zones they can feel safe catching wilds or raids that they can solo?

This is starting to sound like it needs to be a multi part series, or a long video broken into jumpable segments.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12239
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » November 2nd, 2015, 8:27 am

I'm up for this, seeing as I've done loads of videos already and have a site set up for this kind of thing.

I did it the OG way, back when MOP dropped... but I did it the leapfrog way for my husband's account and I could certainly show how it's done in all the variety of ways people are talking about.

I think a video series might be helpful.

Part 1 - Pet Battling 101 - could discuss the basics, the addons that are useful (with in-game exhibits of their usefulness) and which pet types and breeds would be good starter pets.

Part 2 - Pet Battling 102 - Leapfrog leveling method for 80+, detailing the entire scheme, locations, the vagaries of Arcane Eye spawns, etc Valley Beasts vs. Shrine Aquatics, etc Short addendum for anyone without a level 80 (it won't be many and so I don't think it needs it's own video)

Part 3 - Pet Battling 103 - Now you have a 25, what now? Leveling strategies for building your stable. Which pets are the most useful (I've already got a[url=http://murlocharbor.com/2015/08/11/the-best-battle-pets-in-world-of-warcraft/]starter list here[/url]) ) for leveling overall on the Pandaren Tamers and moving beyond the initial small group to a larger stable needed for Celestial Tournament and beyond.

Perhaps a Part 4 for best PvP pets? ( I love me some PvP) :D

I could get started today with planning/organizing episodes with detail, what do you guys have to add?