Why aren't we fighting against other players?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Mahgra
Pet Score:2931
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Why aren't we fighting against other players?

Post by Mahgra » September 21st, 2015, 10:34 pm

I thought when I choose to do a random battle, that I would be fighting other players? Instead I get different "players" but the exact same pets over and over and over again. Different days, same thing.. same pets to fight against 6, 7, 8, 10 times in a row and regardless how I change up my line, I loose. :|

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: Why aren't we fighting against other players?

Post by Ranok » September 21st, 2015, 11:06 pm

Advice I've seen in various forums, don't re-queue immediately when you finish a fight. Kill couple minutes, means good chance someone else now up against the guy with the unbeatable team.

Elmarc
Top Rater
Pet Score:10302
BattleTag®:Elmarc#2151
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Post by Elmarc » September 22nd, 2015, 1:55 am

Another possible idea to not fight him/her again is go to another continent. As far as I know, the pvp pet battles search opponents on the same continent as you. If I'm wrong, please tell me :)

Mahgra

Post by Mahgra » September 22nd, 2015, 7:51 am

The thing is, it's different players - different races - but they all have the exact same pets. So 10 different "players" but the same 3 pets each time. Multiple days I've tried this. Could Blizz be using bots that are random, but for some reason (reque right away) the RNG isn't working on the pets?

Mahgra

Post by Mahgra » September 22nd, 2015, 7:51 am

And thanks for the quick response!

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 22nd, 2015, 1:08 pm

Mahgra wrote:The thing is, it's different players - different races - but they all have the exact same pets. So 10 different "players" but the same 3 pets each time. Multiple days I've tried this. Could Blizz be using bots that are random, but for some reason (reque right away) the RNG isn't working on the pets?
You realize that the "player" you're facing on the battlefield is in disguise right? You can't see the actual toon you're playing against - it's to keep it anonymous. So you might be playing the exact same person over and over without realizing it, or a small group of players who happen to be using the same popular comps.

The reality is, not a lot of people do pet PVP. You're very likely to get matched up against the same opponents many times.

Crackrock
Top Rater
Pet Score:2965
BattleTag®:Ryan187#1813
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Crackrock » September 22nd, 2015, 8:57 pm

Mahgra wrote:I thought when I choose to do a random battle, that I would be fighting other players? Instead I get different "players" but the exact same pets over and over and over again. Different days, same thing.. same pets to fight against 6, 7, 8, 10 times in a row and regardless how I change up my line, I loose. :|
May i ask what pets your opponent is using? Could be a really common combo that you keep running into as well, I get allot of copy-cats on my realm when i run something successful.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 23rd, 2015, 5:05 am

Pet pvp is much busier than I would ever have imagined. Shortly after it first began, it was common to have to wait 3 to 5 minutes for a battle. My meta now usually gets me into a battle within a minute most days of the week and almost any time of day.

Given the very few actual rewards...this is excellent. I feel there is a dire need for more frequent and better rewards. I have previously suggested things like pet accessories, better toon xp for wins, gold, random pet drops..maybe a battlepet mount

For players who are looking for toon xp, the combined pet pvp queue time +battle time makes it impractical...since in pve you can finish a battle in 30 -35 seconds and get 10k toon xp(level 90+ character) if fighting a lvl 23 to 25 pet

There is an ever increasing number of players who dont need upgrade stones as well. It's hard to know what reward would motivate people to join up.

A possible reward idea is to offer the fel touched stones (+5 levels) and allow players to level their pets faster. I know the charms do this as well but its just a suggestion.

The bottom line is that you will be spending 5+ minutes minimum per battle so if Blizzard wants us to do it, the rewards have to be interesting to the widest range of battlepet fan.
--------------

Pet pvp is solidly competitive overall...yes it is very undead heavy obviously...but that just means you need to run at least 1 undead-beater on every comp you make

A fun intervention to make pet pvp more interesting would be to increase the reward/drop chance for players that use lesser used pets on their team. Blizzard could track the % that a pet gets used and the more rare a combo you use..the better chance that a win gets a reward

Tekulve

Yarl
Pet Score:5773
Realm:Bleeding Hollow-us

Post by Yarl » September 23rd, 2015, 11:46 am

what's the team?
I have a team i feel bad for using.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13284
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » September 23rd, 2015, 1:44 pm

I don't think many people do pet PvP. Any even number queueing at the same time, even just 4 playing, would mean instant queues, since it's one on one.

I do little PvP now, and yet, when I do see named pets, I keep bumping into the same ones again and again, so the pool must be pretty small in my region.
Yarl wrote:I have a team i feel bad for using.
I have LOTS of teams I feel bad for using - almost all of them, in fact. :(

But, having tried it, I do minimal PvP now. There is no point in a game where you start each match asking yourself "Do I want to win, or do I want to have fun? I can do either, but have to pick just one."

But today, with the Pet Bounty on, civilians are out in the street, using pets other than the Dirty Dozen or so, and I can be out having fun with Pengu and Tiny Snowman and a Skimmer, so today is a GOOD day. :D

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » September 23rd, 2015, 5:55 pm

There is likely a difference between EU and US realms.. also it may matter what time of day you log on to play
----------
It can be very rewarding and challenging to win with lesser used pets...
I encourage people to try out pets like the mountain panda, stonegrinder, ominous flame, nightshade sroutling (s/s), Living sandling..I could go on and on...

Sure, you might not have an 80%+ win rate...but do you really feel like you accomplished much by winning with
Graves/Murkalot/MpDragonling?

Many pets have useful atks ..even if you pair them with a pet or 2 that you're used to using it will spice up the game overall and everyone has a better chance to learn about the potential depth in the minigame
--------
I find it hard to complain about the # of people doing pet pvp..a bigger issue is why we wait in a raid queue for an hour to 1.5 hours..I do pet pvp while waiting...or muck around Tanaan

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » September 25th, 2015, 9:29 am

Mahgra wrote:over and over and over again.
Pvp pet battles are realy useless for now and mostly boring. So only few ppl do it.

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » September 25th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Honestly, if PvP pet battles were available as a mini game on my phone a-la Hearthstone, I'd probably play them much more. When I sit down at the computer to actually play WoW there are so many more things I find more fun.

I do notice that there are many more people doing the PvP battles during the holiday week, the waits are less than a minute, and I enjoy playing enough to get my 5 wins.

Fallast
Pet Score:859
Realm:Kirin Tor-eu

Post by Fallast » October 2nd, 2015, 2:58 pm

Arcana wrote:Honestly, if PvP pet battles were available as a mini game on my phone a-la Hearthstone, I'd probably play them much more. When I sit down at the computer to actually play WoW there are so many more things I find more fun.

I do notice that there are many more people doing the PvP battles during the holiday week, the waits are less than a minute, and I enjoy playing enough to get my 5 wins.
I hear you , only time i actually cared enough to do pvp was during last pet battle event.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » October 19th, 2015, 12:27 pm

I agree. I was excited the day that I got my 5k pvp achieve. Then I looked around and wondered "What now?" I have no more achieves to get, no more benefits from continuing to battle. All of my pets are 25s except for 5 or 6 of them. And just like that, I went from a die-hard pet battler (both pve and pvp), and became someone who rarely does anything pet related anymore.