Who's your Nemesis?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us
Who's your Nemesis?

Post by Cyberninja » September 1st, 2015, 5:57 am

Do you have a trainer that is your Pet Battling mortal enemy? Mine has been the dang Thundering Pandaren Spirit. Even after a year of experience doing pet battles, he has continued to beat me down on a very consistent basis. Consistent as in 98% of the time. Until last week...when I decided to sit there and battle...and battle...and battle...and die...and die...and die :( ...until I came up with a team that defeats HIM 98% of the time! Now the tables have turned...lol

Which trainer has been/continues to be a thorn in your side?

Aranesh
Pet Score:7380
Realm:Lothar-eu

Re: Who's your Nemesis?

Post by Aranesh » September 1st, 2015, 6:57 am

Wow I know that feeling so well. For me it's actually Taran Zhu from the tournament. Pandaren Monks are cool but this guy is just a pain. Most trainers are rather mathematical and always use the same spell rotation, or have only one pet that does random things, but the monks here - Yen with feign death which gives a random element, than Bolo with his blind that he uses at random times and can really screw you over if you lined up a high damage spell.. bah! Took me SO long to beat him the first time!

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » September 1st, 2015, 10:57 am

wastewalker Shu :| even after doing the pet dailies for a LONG time in MOP I always had a hard time against him, with unlucky hits and multiple crits.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » September 2nd, 2015, 2:03 pm

Cyberninja wrote:Mine has been the dang Thundering Pandaren Spirit. Even after a year of experience doing pet battles, he has continued to beat me down on a very consistent basis. Consistent as in 98% of the time. Until last week...when I decided to sit there and battle...and battle...and battle...and die...and die...and die :( ...until I came up with a team that defeats HIM 98% of the time!
The Thundering Pandaren Spirit is fairly easy and consistent with the 300+ speed Rabbit/MPD/carry pet combo, or there's other similar variants of that strat that work as well.
Topaz wrote:wastewalker Shu :| even after doing the pet dailies for a LONG time in MOP I always had a hard time against him, with unlucky hits and multiple crits.
Yeah, my vote would probably be Wastewalker Shu. My current set up (I traded reliability for speed) relies on some crit RNG so sometimes I beat him so easily that I never get to swap the carry pet in, other times I get stomped.

Other guy that always drives me nuts is Bloodknight Antari. Considering the level and rarity of his pets they seem to hit awfully hard.

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 4th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Decypher_ wrote:For Wastewalker Shu there's a good and pretty safe strategy:
I'll have to try that. My old, safe strat used a Magical Crawdad but it was so slow I couldn't stand it. But my current faster set up, if it fails, having to start over eats up time as well.

Cymre
MVP
Pet Score:13644
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Cymre » September 4th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Decypher_ wrote:Cymre took annoyingly long for pet levelling, so I'd definitely say her...
Thanks for helping me test my new artifacts. I love finding new treasures, especially pets!
Blogger, YouTuber and Pet Tamer

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 5th, 2015, 8:04 am

Decypher_ wrote:Cymre took annoyingly long for pet levelling, so I'd definitely say her...
There's a really good strat for her here (along with the other WoD tamers):
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13853

Note that the breeds are not 100% important. For the crab, having P/P makes it take one less round. For the whelp it makes it a little safer (P/P gives a higher heal than P/x)
Decypher_ wrote: Mutilator
Arcane blast until Dragon is dead,
switch in levelling pet for 1 round,
finish off with Tonk - Shock and Awe, if necessary, then Ion Cannon .
One optimization I use here is as soon as Mutilator comes in, I do the carry pet swap and then swap out to my mech pet. Mutilator always casts his spiny skin or whatever it is called attack on the first round. Then as long as my mech can 2 shot him, I do that. I use tranquil mechanical yeti (lightning storm + ion cannon), but I think the Tonk can still 2 shot (without testing).

Might save you a few rounds doing it this way so you don't have to wait for the dragon to die.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » September 5th, 2015, 1:01 pm

Decypher_ wrote:I haven't had to restart with that team, RNG left the last guy with anything from 1300 to 500 HP over, but that's done easily with the Tonk. Stick to the strategy and don't panic at the first guy, for some reason you get a few first moves in a row when it depends on it.

Keep in mind, the breed of the NFD makes a huge difference in this fight. Yours is probably the perfect breed for that fight since you are faster than the elemental and still powerfull enough to kill the crab quickly enough. I have an H/P which can kill the crab well, but allows a 2nd whirlpool and the elemental is faster, so my NFD dies right at the beginning of the elemental enemy pet.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Peanutty

Post by Peanutty » September 5th, 2015, 2:14 pm

Jerebear wrote:Keep in mind, the breed of the NFD makes a huge difference in this fight. Yours is probably the perfect breed for that fight since you are faster than the elemental and still powerfull enough to kill the crab quickly enough. I have an H/P which can kill the crab well, but allows a 2nd whirlpool and the elemental is faster, so my NFD dies right at the beginning of the elemental enemy pet.
I just tried Decypher's strat and it did work as listed, though my S/S NFD got pretty beat up. Maybe a S/B would be better as that should be fast enough with a little extra power and health. Anything else would be too slow to go first.
Jerebear wrote:One optimization I use here is as soon as Mutilator comes in, I do the carry pet swap and then swap out to my mech pet. Mutilator always casts his spiny skin or whatever it is called attack on the first round. Then as long as my mech can 2 shot him, I do that. I use tranquil mechanical yeti (lightning storm + ion cannon), but I think the Tonk can still 2 shot (without testing).
I've always been in the habit of swapping my carry pet later on (hence sometimes missing the opportunity to swap it in), as my route puts my carry pet at around level 22 or so. My previous set up included a water strider and had the big Pump hit land when Mutilator came in, so that Spiked Skin wasn't up yet to reduce the damage. But to minimize damage to the carry pet or to carry a lower level pet, swapping it in that first round with Mutilator would be best.

Milotha
Top Rater
Pet Score:5471
BattleTag®:milotha#1158
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Milotha » September 19th, 2015, 1:23 pm

Mine was the Thundering Pandaren Spirit. I can beat him now, but right after I got into pet battling and leveled some pets, I decided to fight one of the tamers, and this guy was a short trip for the horde. Needless to say, I got my ass handed to me, and I was wary of even trying any of these battles for quite a while. Oh well, it motivated me to level some more pets.

Crackrock
Top Rater
Pet Score:2965
BattleTag®:Ryan187#1813
Realm:Stonemaul-us

Post by Crackrock » September 22nd, 2015, 9:03 pm

Not 100% on topic, but my nemesis (pvp) is anybody running a good team with Murkalot. I win about 50-60% of the time, but its always an on the edge of your seat moment for me.