Solution to Backline Damage in PvP?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us
Solution to Backline Damage in PvP?

Post by Saasan » July 8th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Thanks to Graves, we seem to have entered an era of backline damage in PvP. I have been running a Graves team and have been running into several similar setups (with or without Graves), so it seems to be a common team setup right now. There's been several challenging "answers" to Graves that I've encountered, but no decisive combos/teams to make me rethink a backline damage team. Until yesterday, that is, when I got smashed flat by a backline healing team. I admit I made a few silly errors, but still. I was smooshed out of history.

Has anyone else been running backline healing or seen it much? Thoughts?

Myon
BattleTag®:Myon#1319
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Re: Solution to Backline Damage in PvP?

Post by Myon » July 8th, 2015, 8:50 pm

I'm curious what that backline healing team consisted of, because I've personally not seen those compositions have much success. Immolation healing is unviable for one, as being humanoid is a huge target on your head in this undead heavy metagame and cannot possibly outheal the undead damage from Graves. Other healing compositions using pets with Nature's Ward, or the Blossoming Ancient do slightly better but are easily overcome by teching in something like a Bone Serpent with darkness.

I feel like the best solution to backline damage is still Haunt. It remains a powerful move despite repeated nerfs and removes one AoE target from your team. Split AoEs like Grave Destruction circumvent this strategy slightly, however using Haunt plays into things like Consume Corpse strategies that mitigate that damage - and with so many undead on your team you are favoured to win as your opponent's Murkalot (if they are running one with Graves) is a liability now.

Sandstorm is also as good a counter as it ever was, and the chief problem with it is that the pets providing that move are predominantly humanoid (Anubisath Idol, etc), and the few non-humanoids that have access to it like the Living Sandling aren't very good. I feel all that's needed to keep the AoE metagame in check is one good non-humanoid pet with access to Sandstorm.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » July 17th, 2015, 11:48 am

I don't know about anti-aoe, but I have a very effective anti-graves team. I pair my own Graves with a Magical Crawdad and Hyjal Wisp. With the crawdad and Wisp both using Wish, they can keep Graves alive for a very looong time. Pair that with the wisp's high speed and evasion, and the crawdad taking nominal damage from undead, and you've got a very tanky team.

Basically, I start with Graves two AOE moves. Swap to crawdad for shell shield and then wish. Swap to wisp who use its evasion and receives a huge heal, followed by Wish again. Swap to Graves who immediately receives a huge heal. Rinse and repeat.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » July 27th, 2015, 1:30 am

Myon -- it was an imp (don't remember which), a blossoming ancient, and a son of sethe. The sethe is what really got me--crazy heals in the sunlight. In retrospect I think I could do fine against it now; I just was on auto-pilot and not thinking. It is the team that convinced me I needed to add an elemental in case of weather, and that has worked out well for me. Run into a sandstorm team or two--no longer a problem.

The other two counter teams (frogs and double wish) I have run into and beaten, but I highly suspect they weren't you two guys in particular, 'cause they were not played well. :P Copy cat builds, I suspect. Those two teams played well might easily have handed me my toosh!