Suggestions for Kirin Tor Familiar?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Terloch
Pet Score:5283
Realm:Dalaran-us
Suggestions for Kirin Tor Familiar?

Post by Terloch » June 14th, 2015, 1:19 pm

So my cross-realm group is making getting Kirin Tor Familiar nigh impossible. I stalk the four books that I need, I have for weeks, and nothing, not a peep. I'm hearthed in Dalaran and I go there all the time when I can. I sit and camp on them while I'm doing other stuff with the window up so i can see if they pop, and nothing.

From those who have done this before, any hints? Do I need to go to another lower-pop cross realms like I did for the evil Minfernal hunt (did that on a South American server)? This one is driving me NUTS...

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Re: Suggestions for Kirin Tor Familiar?

Post by Peanutty » June 14th, 2015, 1:58 pm

I did it on 2 toons back in the day (yes I'm fairly tolerant of camping stuff), and didn't bother joining groups or channels for it. Books have a spawn timer of 3-4 hrs I believe (double check that, I'm not 100% sure)? And they reset during server restarts. So you can calculate when they'll be up by keeping that in mind.

The books stay up for 3 min after someone clicks so about 3 hrs after a restart map out a route between the books you need, and circle that route every 3 min for an hour. Mark down the time of each fake book, repeat 3-4 hrs later. If you miss one (or eventually have to go to work/sleep) I would just start up again approx 24 hrs from the reset and continue on, with the mindset that the spawn times average out.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » June 14th, 2015, 7:26 pm

i did it a while back on my main, read several guides so i knew my FP to take around dalaran, some of the book spawns can be seen through windows :D , took a few minutes to do a full run of the spawn points. I would always try and be in dalaran before a server restart/reset, and would log back in as soon as the server went back up, took a few attempts but after a while i was only 1 or 2 books away from achieve. Then i changed tactics, i would just check the last couple of spots every time i was in dalaran on that toon, and sure enough one weekend i got lucky and got both at random on the same day. I always read the fake books to despawn them, and would make a mental note to recheck that spot 3 hours later, of ten i would camp for that 1 hour as the books do have a 3-4 hour respawn timer. I was on a medium pop server and got the pet towards the end of cata, would have been sooner but i often worked shift work so could not do every tuesday reset/restart of servers, a high pop server can work to your advantage as if you get to know other book hunters, they might be inclined to let you know if a book spawns, other pet collectors are your best resource i always find.

Chaosspawned
Pet Score:4548
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Chaosspawned » June 14th, 2015, 7:35 pm

I just got mine and it was actually not that bad until my last book. I read one post that all spawn spots have the books after server resets and although it was often the wrong books I had mine after 4 weeks. It usually had two to three correct books after each restart (not scientific just 4 weeks of observation). The last one was terrible. I was cheering on the worgs for eating that darn fluffy bunny. It must have spawned more than a dozen times before I got the right book.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » June 14th, 2015, 10:46 pm

biggest key is to make sure to click on even the fake books.
the fake books are placeholders and if you don't click on them the real books wont spawn.
usually books respawn every 3 hours or so.
it is a grindy to do and even more so that no one is really in dalaran anymore.
use to be people announcing books in dalaran back in the day.
good luck