I have become a pet snob

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Emrys
Top Rater
Pet Score:2695
Realm:Arygos-us
I have become a pet snob

Post by Emrys » December 12th, 2012, 11:35 pm

When pet battles first came out, I was very excited to catch as many as I could, wanted to get every possible pet. I didn't understand how the pet quality worked, and didn't worry to much about it. Then I discovered the pet quality notifier addon. Ever since then I pass up pets unless they are blue. My numbers are not going up as fast as before, but the pets are better. I feel like such a pet snob when I say that a green is 'not good enough'. anyone else have this problem? :?

Bistromath
Pet Score:3055
Realm:Stormrage-us

Re: I have become a pet snob

Post by Bistromath » December 12th, 2012, 11:37 pm

I agree the only time ill get a green is if its some stupid rare pet thats hard to get, like the Minfernal.
But i also know im hated cause of being out spoken on the whole using Nishi Exploit.

Ashlataar
Pet Score:2468
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Ashlataar » December 12th, 2012, 11:40 pm

I don't think that's unusual Emrys :P I feel that way and I think everyone else I know feels that way too!

@Edema: Do you mean that you don't approve of the Nishi exploit? I agree it was a bit of a gimp, especially people who sport 75 pets at level 25 achievement and attribute it to hard work. I heard it has been fixed now, though.

Bistromath

Post by Bistromath » December 12th, 2012, 11:44 pm

I did not agree with use'in the Nishi Exploit, and i was very out spoken about on here and the Wow forums. So much to point people made toons on my server and sent me hate mail.

Ashlataar
Pet Score:2468
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Ashlataar » December 12th, 2012, 11:47 pm

That sucks! I wasn't very outspoken about it, but I only heard about it up until recently. I did try it but it felt like I was gimping and I'm not all that obsessive about power leveling pets anyway.

Emrys
Top Rater

Post by Emrys » December 12th, 2012, 11:48 pm

I didn't know about that exploit so I never used it. I can understand being upset at people 'cheating' to get pets. Oh well, must go to bed now, even the dog is getting cranky.

Bistromath

Post by Bistromath » December 13th, 2012, 12:04 am

I love the pet battle'in and Hunting. If im not raiding im doing something pet related. As far leveling up pets go ive only got 41 pets to 25. But i normally pick a team of lvl 1's and start outside Org or UC, and go zone to zone lvling them. IT good fun. lol

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » December 13th, 2012, 1:06 am

Edema wrote:I did not agree with use'in the Nishi Exploit, and i was very out spoken about on here and the Wow forums. So much to point people made toons on my server and sent me hate mail.
That's lame. I didn't agree with you, but we should all be entitled to our opinion.
I feel like such a pet snob when I say that a green is 'not good enough'. anyone else have this problem? :?
Yes -- I'm a rarity snob and a breedID snob. I don't go as far as not capturing poors/commons though, if it's all I can get.

Tiggindy
MVP
Pet Score:10765
BattleTag®:Mersenne#1798
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Tiggindy » December 13th, 2012, 2:40 am

Not a snob. I will catch the first encountered pet that I don't have. The exception is if it's teamed with another pet I don't have and I catch that one instead. ;) I'd rather have the pet in my journal than not have it at all.

After that, I work on upgrading the pet, either quality-wise with a better catch, or level wise with a higher level at the same quality. I do this until I get a rare of the pet, or if I'm hunting in an area for XP, until I've got as many of the highest level at rare that I can find. I'm currently running around the Valley, so a few of my rares have jumped up to 23.
Edema wrote:I did not agree with use'in the Nishi Exploit, and i was very out spoken about on here and the Wow forums. So much to point people made toons on my server and sent me hate mail.
Wow, I don't think I've ever gotten hate mail, all I manage to do is get threads vanished. *poof*

It's weird, the posts don't violate the forum rules (they probably skirt the edge), but I've had any number of threads simply go away after I post detailed explanation of why the person I'm responding to is wrong.

Although, I did get a forum suspension once, but that was because I reacted to a troll rather than simply explaining to them at length how stupid they are. :roll:

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » December 13th, 2012, 3:35 am

I am a rarity and breed ID snob. I will capture a poor quality pet in a group of 3 over a rare if I like the breed ID better, since stones are dropping pretty well. I farmed through all the wild serpents in The Aboretum, until I got 2 rares of each, so that I could switch out in fights against the pandaren spirits, without having to bandage, since I have been playing with different combos to liven up fighting them. I rarely use the same combo of pets vs the grand masters, trying different synergies.
mykro9#1585

Mathew013
MVP
Pet Score:3694
Realm:Ghostlands-us

Post by Mathew013 » December 13th, 2012, 1:17 pm

anyone else have this problem?
I don't see it as a problem, per se. There's nothing wrong with it, if you're having fun.
If anything, it's a process, akin to gearing up your toon.

Swap out your lesser gear (pets) poor/common/green gear for blue gear (pets)
Removing the unwanted breed IDs from your collection would be like reforging your gear. :D

I'm not quite an elitist yet, but I WILL swap any pet for a rare, immediately.
(I'll keep the lesser quality pets around, just in case I'm granted an upgrade stone.)
I'll worry about breed IDs in the months to come.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 13th, 2012, 2:45 pm

I look at it as different stages. Initially I just wanted to level up one pet of each family so I could have have a nice variety of pets to work with. Next I went and captured one of every wild pet available, not really worrying about quality (a little I guess, it had to at least be uncommon). Currently I'm working on getting a rare version of every wild pet that I can. Only after all that will I possibly start worrying about breed-id.

There are a few exceptions, I'm not going to camp out in Felwood or Icecrown until I get a rare Minfernal or Plagued Whelpling. It's probably much less of a headache to farm the upgrade stones from the tamer quests. I've also picked up a fast Flayer Youngling in uncommon to go along with my rare that's the health breed. These are up often enough on my realm that it's easy to fly by when I'm close to see if they're up, but there's enough competition that I grabbed the first breed-5 I came across (even though I already had a rare, it was a sub-par breed) with hopes to upgrade it later.

Croxy
MVP
Pet Score:2009
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Croxy » December 13th, 2012, 11:22 pm

For me, it depends on the ease of finding the pet in the first place. A poor snake or rabbit is easy enough to snub since you'll battle many...MANY of them. However, I'll take a minifernal of any quality I can find. Just having one would be wonderful.

Lillanthia
Pet Score:10555
Realm:Aszune-eu

Post by Lillanthia » December 14th, 2012, 5:39 am

Croxy wrote:For me, it depends on the ease of finding the pet in the first place. A poor snake or rabbit is easy enough to snub since you'll battle many...MANY of them. However, I'll take a minifernal of any quality I can find. Just having one would be wonderful.
I'm with Croxy and NathKnave on this one, I started out with a "I don't have this, must catch it!" mentality, just to get as many pets as I could. Now I'm actually levelling teams up, if a rare pops, then I'll catch that and kick my original poor/etc version out. For training I'm largely around the Halfhill area, so I'm finding just by weight of numbers that rares for the crickets and quillrats are inevitably going to appear!

Very luckily for me I swooped down to Felwood just the other day right on top of one single Minfernal. It was poor quality. But.. it was a minfernal! *ticks it off list* (And dreaded every single hit I did to it in case I got a bizarrely high crit!)

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 14th, 2012, 9:49 am

I don't think "snob" is an accurate way to describe not settling for anything but rare quality. Perhaps... "picky"? :P

For me, it's not so much a problem as it is a challenge. It's all part of a set of goals that I set for myself in order to inch closer to a "complete" collection. It's my own personal "pet progression" I suppose? :lol:
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Arvelayne
Pet Score:3784
Realm:Frostwhisper-eu

Post by Arvelayne » December 14th, 2012, 10:44 am

Lillanthia wrote:
Croxy wrote:For me, it depends on the ease of finding the pet in the first place. A poor snake or rabbit is easy enough to snub since you'll battle many...MANY of them. However, I'll take a minifernal of any quality I can find. Just having one would be wonderful.
I'm with Croxy and NathKnave on this one, I started out with a "I don't have this, must catch it!" mentality, just to get as many pets as I could. Now I'm actually levelling teams up, if a rare pops, then I'll catch that and kick my original poor/etc version out. For training I'm largely around the Halfhill area, so I'm finding just by weight of numbers that rares for the crickets and quillrats are inevitably going to appear!

Very luckily for me I swooped down to Felwood just the other day right on top of one single Minfernal. It was poor quality. But.. it was a minfernal! *ticks it off list* (And dreaded every single hit I did to it in case I got a bizarrely high crit!)
Agreed on the Minfernal. I did the whole 'grab anything' to start with, and then eventually realised I would have to go back and rarify everything.

The only thing was that when I first actually saw a Minfernal spawn I nearly had a coronary. Fortunately I have Neep (Terrible Turnip) on hand to try and make the job easier. Didn't stop me panicking the whole time. :)

Arve,
capture alt.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 14th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I have become a snob as well. I will capture Greens if they have a decent breed id in case I ever get a stone that can be used to upgrade it.

Poor's and Common's are never captured.

Emrys
Top Rater

Post by Emrys » December 14th, 2012, 10:31 pm

I will capture greens when I get frustrated with rares not showing up and I need to get off the computer before I throw it. But I try to hold out for rares as much as possible to avoid having to grind them again later. The problem I've run into now, is I have a pet fawn that is level 21 green, and I caught a level 1 rare! Do I keep the rare just because it's rare, or keep the green because it's higher level, or try to farm a higher lever rare? :shock:

Anyway, I have not put any emphasis on pet id. Having a blue is good enough without getting picky on numbers. I want to keep collecting fun, not add to my homework (masters student).

Verdigris
Top Rater
Pet Score:5046
Realm:Kilrogg-us

Post by Verdigris » December 15th, 2012, 4:50 pm

What can I say. Since I know I'll never use all of them for battling, I've got plenty of Charlie-Brown's-Christmas-Tree quality pets in my collection. I'm happy to snag rares when they present themselves, but I'm not going to obsess or grind. Takes the fun out of it...and it seems kind of sad to abandon my original Emerald Boa or what have you, even if a better one comes along. I may keep the rare as a reserve to train, but that first one is my characters' pet, per se, with a name and a gold star and who gets trotted out to follow them around. (I'm a sap.)

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » December 17th, 2012, 9:53 am

I too have become a pet snob.

It didn't start all at once. First of all, when the expansion came out, I went to level my character, I arrive in Jade Forest and lo and behold there are pets there that I can battle. I click on one and my lvl 1 pets get toasted. Ok, i have to lvl my pets first, how long should that take? Let's go back and start leveling my existing pets. (I had a mechanical squirrel, a pandaren monk and an Onyxian Whelpling). I head back to elwynn forest and start battling anything, but I realize I can capture these pets. I capture a black sheep, I capture a rabbit and then BAM! I capture a squirrel and the pop-up tells me it's rare. Whoa - that's cool. What makes it rare? . . . from there on, I was a snob. Only rares would do for me. . .

Until I learned that some pets are actually rare as in hard to find. Oh, you want a minfernal do you? HAHAHAHA - so after flying around for 4 days looking for one of those, I captured the first one I got, didn't matter that it was poor. Oh how I seethed at having a poor-quality pet among my rares. . . but it was a MINFERNAL!! So I calmed down a bit about the whole rare thing, decided that some pets would be good to have no matter what their quality.

Until I learned that some pets have different stats. (breed id) So you want a rare Kun-Lai Runt do you? well here is a Rare one with a lvl 3 ID. . . What? You didn't capture that one? You just killed it? You captured the poor one with an id of 4 instead?

That's when you know you're a snob, when you capture a poor quality pet because it has the right pet ID instead of a rare quality because the rare has that stupid 3/13 balance id which everyone knows is crap. (and yes, I used my stone on the poor quality Kun-Lai runt with the right breed, and now he's rare. :D

I'm a pet snob, and all that means is that i'm better than you. *holds nose in the air*