What are your top 5 moths and their ability?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cheaptoad
Pet Score:4199
Realm:Madoran-us
What are your top 5 moths and their ability?

Post by Cheaptoad » June 8th, 2015, 11:24 am

So Many moths........ :shock:

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Re: What are your top 5 moths and their ability?

Post by Awq » June 8th, 2015, 4:01 pm

I am pretty sure that you weren't serious with your post, but I felt like making this list anyway.
It's my personal opinion. I have not tried all the moths (in all the breeds).

1. Amber Moth P/S ~ Alpha Strike, Cocoon Shot, Moth Dust
It has 305 power, and 273 speed. Power suits the moths move-set. It however has enough speed in case the moth loses its flying racial. This is my favorite moth. The stats feel just right.

2. Skywisp Moth P/S ~ Slicing Wind, Cocoon Shot, Lightning Storm
It has Lightning Storm, which does additional damage to beasts. It also has avoidance, which makes this an unique Lightning Storm user. It hard-counters beasts to some extent. It also can change the weather, and can be used for combos.

3. Flamering Moth P/S ~ Burn(/Alpha Strike), Healing Flame, Moth Dust
It's a moth with a heal. A flying pet with a heal was very strong pre-WoD. The healing allows for a longer uptime of the flying racial. It however has competition from other flying pets, like the Waterfly and Teroclaw Hatchling, which have arguably better move sets.
It's also good with Burn/Alpha Strike, Cocoon Shot, Moth Dust. Opponents do not know which move set this moth has, which is an advantage in pvp.

4. Yellow Moth P/P ~ Alpha Strike, Cocoon Shot, Moth Dust
With 341 attack it has the highest power of all the moths. I however miss the speed that the Amber Moth provides. It is too slow for my taste, but it hits really hard.

5. Imperial Moth ~ Slicing Wind, Moth Balls, Cyclone
This Moth has an AMAZING move set. It however has a horrible stats. The H/H breed is okay, I like the additional health on this type of pet. The 292 base speed (even as a H/H breed) however is a complete waste of stats. So it only has 244 power, which is too low.
It's still an interesting pet! Cyclone and Moth Balls has synergy with other pets.

Honorable mentions
P/S Red Moth (very similar to, but slightly worse than the Amber Moth) and S/S Silky Moth (very very situational)

Gahtmilch
Pet Score:5205
Realm:Perenolde-us

Post by Gahtmilch » June 11th, 2015, 3:18 pm

I was going to post a list of my own, but Awq nailed it (and even went on to explain the reasons better than I would have). If you weren't trolling, his suggestions are dead on.

On another note, if you think moths are not good battle pets, you seriously have not tried them on challengers like No-no or Taran Zhu yet. A single moth can occasionally solo either one (admittedly, with RNG on your side).

-Gaht

Vevy
Pet Score:1959
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Vevy » June 11th, 2015, 5:40 pm

I'm just starting to experiment with moths in PvP. I'm wondering about Counterspell. I have been annoyed to no end when a moth user opens counterspell, moth dust, counterspell. I'm assuming, based on the above list, that you generally value cocoon strike more than counterspell? Anyone use counterspell effectively in PvP?

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » June 12th, 2015, 10:21 am

since counterspell CD is shorter than the duration of the immunity to a 2nd stun its not as good as coocon strike, and after the flyer racial is out counterspell can be useless if you're slower.

Myon
BattleTag®:Myon#1319
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Myon » June 12th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Awq wrote:
5. Imperial Moth ~ Slicing Wind, Moth Balls, Cyclone
This Moth has an AMAZING move set. It however has a horrible stats. The H/H breed is okay, I like the additional health on this type of pet. The 292 base speed (even as a H/H breed) however is a complete waste of stats. So it only has 244 power, which is too low.
It's still an interesting pet! Cyclone and Moth Balls has synergy with other pets.
Blizzard has a sense of humour I think, or they're a bit more canny about pet balance than they seem to let on.

The moth, as you mentioned, has a great moveset. It's the only moth with access to both of the high powered moth-flavoured moves on the same pet (Moth Balls and Moth Dust) - and of course it has to be a H/H breed to ruin that beautiful picture.

Contrast this to the Yellow Moth with that delicious P/P breed but having to choose either/or between Moth Balls and Moth Dust.

Such a shame, again I think Blizzard has a sense of humour. There are very few pets that have that holy grail of a good breed combined with a good moveset (Bronze Whelpling, FoA, Emperor Crab, for examples).

Shaderun
Pet Score:4794
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Shaderun » June 12th, 2015, 1:09 pm

Thanks for the write up, Awq. Very helpful!

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » June 12th, 2015, 4:10 pm

I would generally prefer Counter Spell over Cocoon Strike. Counter Spell gives more control than Cocoon Strike does. You can check for cool downs, and stall that important heal (for example).
I really like Kick and Interrupting Gaze.

There sadly is anti-synergy between Counter Spell and Moth Dust. When you Counter Spell, you activate cc-immunity. The opponent pet is now immune to control for two rounds. Moth Dust can't put a target to sleep.
If anything: I would open with Moth Dust followed by Counter spell, so that you can put a target to Sleep. But even in this scenario, Cocoon Strike is better. Whenever you choose Moth Dust, Cocoon Strike is a lot better than Counter Spell.

This does not mean that you should not use Counter Spell. Counter Spell actually has good synergy with Moth Balls. The slowing debuff makes Counter Spell reliable. Edit: Sadly there isn't a moth with Counterspell and Moth Balls.

And I am glad that my list was useful.
Last edited by Awq on June 12th, 2015, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vevy
Pet Score:1959
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Vevy » June 12th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Awq wrote:I would generally prefer Counter Spell over Cocoon Strike. Counter Spell gives more control than Cocoon Strike does. You can check for cool downs, and stall that important heal (for example).
I really like Kick and Interrupting Gaze.

There sadly is anti-synergy between Counter Spell and Moth Dust. When you Counter Spell, you activate cc-immunity. The opponent pet is now immune to control for two rounds. Moth Dust can't put a target to sleep.
If anything: I would open with Moth Dust followed by Counter spell, so that you can put a target to Sleep. But even in this scenario, Cocoon Strike is better. Whenever you choose Moth Dust, Cocoon Strike is a lot better than Counter Spell.

This does not mean that you should not use Counter Spell. Counter Spell actually has good synergy with Moth Balls. The slowing debuff makes Counter Spell reliable.

And I am glad that my list was useful.
Ah, the immunity to stun after having been slept--yea I hadn't accounted for that. Helpful conversation. Thanks.