Addon question - how to display health percentage?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Bellaryl
Pet Score:4595
Realm:Thrall-us
Addon question - how to display health percentage?

Post by Bellaryl » May 16th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Am I just missing something....or is there a way to show the percentage AND HPs of your pets? Sure - I can do the math in my brain - if my pet has 1400 total hits, I know he's at 50% when he's at 700. But is there a way to show this in the UI?

If not, it's still ok...but I wanted to ask this community because it's the best pet battle community around!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Re: Addon question - how to display health percentage?

Post by FuxieDK » May 17th, 2015, 11:55 pm

Curoius: Why do you want percentages?

I've seen similar requests for raids etc, but never understood the reason..

For me, absolute numbers are much more usefull..

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » May 18th, 2015, 10:59 am

I'd assume for things that are percentage based like

http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/a ... you-whole/

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 18th, 2015, 11:01 am

FuxieDK wrote:Curoius: Why do you want percentages?

For raids, many boss abilities and phases trigger by the percentage of health, so it's usually considered more important to see percent over the numbers.

I imagine for pet battles it's for being able to see easily if you can kill a magic pet in one hit (it has less than 35% health) or if a dragon's racial will trigger (will it knock the opponent below 50% health)? I don't think I've seen an addon that does that (or if there is, I never paid attention).

Bellaryl

Post by Bellaryl » May 18th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Peanutty wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:Curoius: Why do you want percentages?

For raids, many boss abilities and phases trigger by the percentage of health, so it's usually considered more important to see percent over the numbers.

I imagine for pet battles it's for being able to see easily if you can kill a magic pet in one hit (it has less than 35% health) or if a dragon's racial will trigger (will it knock the opponent below 50% health)? I don't think I've seen an addon that does that (or if there is, I never paid attention).
Yes! That is correct. See...I often see, for example, if I'm using the Emerald Proto Whelp "Use Emerald Dream when health is at 50%". Or to see when I can best use attacks / defenses that trigger off of a certain percentage of health. Wouldn't it suck if I wanted to use an ability that requires my opponent is under 35% health, and it's at 37%!!!

To be honest, I don't trust my eyes to translate what percentage my bar is at, and I'd prefer not doing math all the time. It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but I think it would be a nice addition.

Absolute numbers are essential, to be sure - I was just curious if there is an addon that will ALSO give me percentages!

Thank you everyone for contributing and for understanding where I'm coming from!

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » May 18th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Never used it before and it looks like Gello just created it but I'll already assume it's going to be an awesome well maintained addon.

+1 from me.

Not sure how you'd manage it but it would be really cool if you could display how many hps until the next threshold, like x more damage to take the pet under 50% and activate the dragonkin racial after the hit. For example in your screenshot you'd need to deal 234 or more damage to activate the dragonkin racial.

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » May 18th, 2015, 11:34 pm

In raids etc, all percentage abilities (i.e. Execute abilities) light up, when the criteria is met. You cannot use them too soon. IMO, a lit execute button is more visible than a number.

Dragon racial in PB is displayed close to health bar. If you miss that, you'd most likely miss the percentages too. Trap also light up, when below threshold.

And then we have the round off problem: I have wiped, more than once, on a boss with 7 (and other single/double digit numbers) health left. That's displayed as 0,0%, which clearly isn't correct..

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 18th, 2015, 11:45 pm

FuxieDK wrote:In raids etc, all percentage abilities (i.e. Execute abilities) light up, when the criteria is met. You cannot use them too soon. IMO, a lit execute button is more visible than a number.

And then we have the round off problem: I have wiped, more than once, on a boss with 7 (and other single/double digit nu,bers) health left. That's displayed as 0,0%, which clearly isn't correct..
You misunderstood what I was referring to. What I meant wasn't player abilities lighting up (like execute) but rather things like the boss' abilities and phases - i.e. Blackhand phase 1 ends at about 71%, phase 2 at about 31%. As his health scales by the number of raiders trying to remember the exact number makes it very tricky to track that way.

That said, I have both percentage and hard numbers turned on on my bars because as you noted, a boss with very low health that's still alive will show as 0%.

Back onto the actual topic:
That addon looks interesting, I might give it a go. I usually just eyeball for things like "is this magic pet below 35%?" but yeah, sometimes you just don't eyeball it quite right and I don't want to waste time calculating it myself.

Gello
Pet Score:9171
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Gello » May 19th, 2015, 4:52 am

Kpb321 wrote:Never used it before and it looks like Gello just created it but I'll already assume it's going to be an awesome well maintained addon.
Or...it could be a clunker to lower expectations for future projects.

It was thrown together over a year ago and posted in the comments of another addon on wowinterface. After seeing this thread, I went and dug it up, then tested to make sure it still worked, and to my surprise it worked better than before thanks to Blizzard. Back then the stats wouldn't update to reflect racials or auras. So only hp would change and the other stats remained the "tooltip" stat of the non-fighting version. Sometime in the past year Blizzard updated the API to incorporate racials and auras.
Not sure how you'd manage it but it would be really cool if you could display how many hps until the next threshold, like x more damage to take the pet under 50% and activate the dragonkin racial after the hit. For example in your screenshot you'd need to deal 234 or more damage to activate the dragonkin racial.
Maybe little tick marks at the bottom of the health bar, and mouseover of a tick would display the difference between current health and the tick. I can think of 50% and 25% thresholds. Are there other thresholds?

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » May 19th, 2015, 5:03 am

Gello wrote:
Kpb321 wrote:Not sure how you'd manage it but it would be really cool if you could display how many hps until the next threshold, like x more damage to take the pet under 50% and activate the dragonkin racial after the hit. For example in your screenshot you'd need to deal 234 or more damage to activate the dragonkin racial.
Maybe little tick marks at the bottom of the health bar, and mouseover of a tick would display the difference between current health and the tick. I can think of 50% and 25% thresholds. Are there other thresholds?
35% when fighting magic pets...
If you have low health but are fast, <35% could mean attack, while >35% could mean heal/swap..

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » May 19th, 2015, 12:37 pm

Ticks with a tool tip doesn't sound like a bad option. 35% and theoretically 70% are key marks for Magic pets (1/2 hits to kill them). If you wanted to be fancy you could detect the pet type and only display the ticks when the right type of pet was in the battle =)

I'm still optimistic because here you are taking suggestions on improvements and interacting with the community. IMO that is one of the biggest keys to success for an add-on =)

Bellaryl

Post by Bellaryl » May 21st, 2015, 9:26 pm

Gello,

I've used your mods many times over the past 10 years and they are without question quality. In fact, your Rematch addon (which I just discovered on this forum) is magnificent and one of my favorites. I always wanted to be able to personally thank you for your hard work and excellent addons! As an IT person myself (though not a coder), I have a great respect for people who can do this kind of thing.

I think what you've posted here is what I'm looking for - and I'll certainly give it a shot this week. Thank you so much for the information!

UPDATE - I added this mod to my repetoire and it works perfectly. It gives me just what I need, doesn't clutter up the screen anymore than it is, and helped tremendously! Thank you, Gello - yet again, you've created a most useful tool! <3
Last edited by Bellaryl on May 22nd, 2015, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » May 21st, 2015, 9:54 pm

I made a WeakAura for Pet Health% a while ago:

http://pastebin.com/u/PattiFord

But thanks for the small addon, maybe I switch to this one now :!:

Gello

Post by Gello » May 22nd, 2015, 7:01 am

If any of you updated the one from a couple days ago that had tick marks, and then updated again and the tick marks seemed to disappear: they're still there. You just have to mouseover the frontline pet/bar area to see them.

I decided those ticks were kind of annoying to look at all the time. Tried a bunch of different textures but they all just ruined the "cleanliness" or symmetry of that bar.

If anyone wants an option to have them always on, let me know. This is a very small/off-the-cuff addon and I didn't want to burden it with options or a bunch of extra stuff but it wouldn't be difficult.

Flohsakk
Pet Score:13312
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Flohsakk » May 27th, 2015, 5:09 am

Thanks for adding the Round Number into the latest update, that was something I was looking for myself.

Long time ago I was looking for a clock too (because all the stuff is not visible in pet fights), but these were times when I spent hours and hours to maxlevel hundreds of pets, nowadays I only use battle stones or do a few tamers to do so, I don't even need my WeakAuras XP-Bonus frame anymore, it doesn't matter...

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » June 4th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Here is another percentage that could be useful:

If you have e.g. Darkmoon Zeppelin and Explode is selected, displaying when opponent is below 40% of YOUR max Health..

FuxieDK

Post by FuxieDK » June 23rd, 2015, 12:51 am

FuxieDK wrote:Here is another percentage that could be useful:

If you have e.g. Darkmoon Zeppelin and Explode is selected, displaying when opponent is below 40% of YOUR max Health..
/BUMP

Gello

Post by Gello » July 4th, 2015, 1:53 pm

FuxieDK wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:Here is another percentage that could be useful:

/BUMP
Added but note it's an unmodified Explode and it only shows if the opponent pet has the Explode ability loaded. And it's at the top of the bar because it'd overlap one of the other ticks more often than not. I'll revisit this addon's whole concept another day but it's really not something I have time to invest in properly. All my addon-writing time is spent on another much bigger project.