character xp?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Wreckingbelle
MVP
Pet Score:3985
BattleTag®:leir#1124
Realm:Kirin Tor-us
character xp?

Post by Wreckingbelle » April 23rd, 2015, 9:47 am

logged on to my lowbie for the first time in a while to do some pet battles thinking a little bit of xp would do me some good. did several battles and got zero character xp. what'd i miss?

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: character xp?

Post by Kpb321 » April 23rd, 2015, 11:36 am

What level were your pets and what level were the pets you were facing and what type of pet battle was it?

Wreckingbelle
MVP

Post by Wreckingbelle » April 23rd, 2015, 1:22 pm

my carry pet was level 1, my other 2 were level 25. the pets i battled against were level 1, level 13-14, lvl 18, and level 22-24. i tried different levels in different zones and didnt get character xp at all. i thought at first that it just wasnt showing it in the purple text on my screen, but then i watched the xp bar and it didnt budge.

ive gotten xp and leveled toons in this way since that option was made available to us so im a little disappointed to lose this option, if it has been taken away.

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » April 23rd, 2015, 1:23 pm

I've leveled my 70s hunter and 90s priest and lock all week doing pet battles...unless they snuck something in this morning you should still be getting xp...unless you turned your xp off by chance

Wreckingbelle
MVP

Post by Wreckingbelle » April 23rd, 2015, 1:28 pm

if they've made that unavailable, i shall be very put out.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » April 23rd, 2015, 2:17 pm

Wreckingbelle wrote:my carry pet was level 1, my other 2 were level 25. the pets i battled against were level 1, level 13-14, lvl 18, and level 22-24. i tried different levels in different zones and didnt get character xp at all. i thought at first that it just wasnt showing it in the purple text on my screen, but then i watched the xp bar and it didnt budge.

ive gotten xp and leveled toons in this way since that option was made available to us so im a little disappointed to lose this option, if it has been taken away.
You need to fight level appropriate fights to get character EXP. Trouncing level 1's with 25's won't get you any EXP. Try the following:

All level 1's vs a level 1
If that doesn't work, go to a zone that is appropriate for your character's level and face off against pets there (again, use level appropriate pets...no 25's).

If you want to use 25's, have someone get you to the farm area of Pandaria and kill level 23-25 pets there. Shouldn't get eaten by enemies (I've had level 3 toons out there).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Wreckingbelle
MVP

Post by Wreckingbelle » April 23rd, 2015, 2:40 pm

if you refer to the post that you quoted, you'll see that ive done exactly that already. i started with my level 40 toon in darnassus. then i went to tanaris, silithus, and vale of eternal blossoms. no character exp for my level 40 toon in any of those zones.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554

Post by Kpb321 » April 23rd, 2015, 3:42 pm

level 40 makes me thing you might have turned exp off on the toon. There is a npc by the pvp battle masters that can turn the ability to gain exp on and off.

Nirnaan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5783
Realm:Runetotem-eu

Post by Nirnaan » April 23rd, 2015, 4:15 pm

I still get xp as usual on my lvl57 char from wild battles in Valley of the Four Winds and from Farmer Nishi.
Kpb321's idea looks likely. Do you have the same problem on other chars?

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » April 23rd, 2015, 4:28 pm

Nirnaan wrote:I still get xp as usual on my lvl57 char from wild battles in Valley of the Four Winds and from Farmer Nishi.
Kpb321's idea looks likely. Do you have the same problem on other chars?
This is where my lvl 70 something hunter is parked and she's still getting experience from each battle. My 93 priest and lock still get xp from WoD wild battles and Pandaria boss fights.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » April 23rd, 2015, 7:34 pm

You should be getting XP so long as you don't use, on any of your turns, a pet that's 5 or more levels higher than the team you're fighting. While your toon's level and the the level of opposing team all play a part in calculating how much XP, you should still always be getting some.

You indicated you'd battled 22-24 level pets so obviously something else is glitched. Do you still get XP from activities other than pet battling ?

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 24th, 2015, 3:05 am

On the toon xp note,

Does anyone know if any buffs (other than the DMF ride) help your toon xp gains for wild pet battling...I'm just leveling an alt and going for the monument atm

It seems heirloom stuff has no boost for pet battle xp..I wondered if anyone tried the garrison vendor buff ..thx

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » April 24th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Tekulve2012 wrote: Does anyone know if any buffs (other than the DMF ride) help your toon xp gains for wild pet battling...I'm just leveling an alt and going for the monument atm

It seems heirloom stuff has no boost for pet battle xp..I wondered if anyone tried the garrison vendor buff ..thx
Yes, 20% buff from Excess Potion of Accelerated Learning works with pet battles.

I just experimented, did two pet battles in a row with and without Stained Shadowcraft Hat heirloom equipped. Same toon, same level starter pet, same level team I was fighting. The heirloom did give me the 10% bonus XP.

Wreckingbelle
MVP

Post by Wreckingbelle » April 25th, 2015, 10:48 am

Ranok wrote:You should be getting XP so long as you don't use, on any of your turns, a pet that's 5 or more levels higher than the team you're fighting. While your toon's level and the the level of opposing team all play a part in calculating how much XP, you should still always be getting some.

You indicated you'd battled 22-24 level pets so obviously something else is glitched. Do you still get XP from activities other than pet battling ?
this is mostly a bank toon. i do not have xp turned off as some have asked. the toon is actually 39.87, although i didnt think i needed to get *quite that specific*

i am still getting xp from other activities: discovery, mostly, but i have been leveling this toon primarily through pet battles (done in and around darnassus and the vale), and through pvp pet battles.