Most underrated and overrated pets.

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Cheaptoad
Pet Score:4199
Realm:Madoran-us
Most underrated and overrated pets.

Post by Cheaptoad » April 10th, 2015, 2:10 pm

We all know what pets are used the most and the best in battles.

But, what pets do you consider the most underrated?

Maybe it's just a plain old tabby cat or a frog.

Also, what "great" pets do you consider not even worth hunting for.

I don't have an opinion yet as I just started collecting.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Most underrated and overrated pets.

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 10th, 2015, 7:44 pm

In my opinion, all pets are worth hunting for.... If pressed to choose, the 'weather' pet-(Sandstorm's )Silithid hatchling and also the Kirin Tor familiar took extra ordinary time for ordinary pets---- for me

PvP: under rated~ Imperial eagle chick (p/p)- / mountain panda / MrWiggles-/ Fiendish Imp(s/s) - alpine foxling(p/b)

Overrated - Death adder hatchling - unborn valkyr - Iron Starlette'-

PvE-underrated ~ Cornish rex cat for leveling in halfhill
Last edited by Tekulve2012 on April 24th, 2015, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchertudi86
Pet Score:1137
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Jchertudi86 » April 10th, 2015, 10:50 pm

For both PVP and PVE I think Unborn Val'kyr takes the cake for most overrated. Due to nerfs over time it is not nearly the threat it used to be in PVP. There are many, many pets I dread more seeing in PVP than the Valk. Also a lot of pet battle noobs get the impression it is downright necessary for defeating end-game PVE challenges (celestial tournament, pre-nerf garrison dailies). Forget the Valk. Cool model, but I won't get one just because it seems ludicrously overrated.

As far as underrated, I don't see all that much love for Yu'la but have used her extensively for PVE (Trunks challenge especially) and PVP. Celestial Blessing is just REALLY powerful when paired up with certain pets. Being fast and able to Life Exchange also increases her longevity on switches (which CB promotes obviously) and dragon racial is always nice. I don't know if any of the celestial pets can be "underrated" but I see way more love for Xu-fu (who I would argue is a bit overrated) and Chi-chi.

Faerdin
Top Rater
Pet Score:2930
BattleTag®:Shamtastic#1585
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Faerdin » April 11th, 2015, 10:05 pm

In all fairness to the Unborn Val'kyr, it is a good pet -- even post-nerf. Highly worthy of a recommendation, especially for PvE. It just isn't game-breaking. Having Curse of Doom and Unholy Ascension is still really neat and allows it to synergize really well with Chrominius and Water Pandaren Spirits (The infamous Howlbomb). Haunt is still a cool ability, though it isn't broken anymore. It has its niche and does its job well.

For me, one of the most notoriously underrated pets would have to be the Red Cricket. At the very least from a PvE standpoint. It can deal tons of damage, put out massive self-heals, and negate damage with Cocoon Strike. It's been my must-have pet against Eleanor for a long time because of it. Rabbits are really good, but the Red Cricket gives them a run for their money.

The Spineclaw Crab is also really good. But its poor rating may be due in part to its rarity, or people using H/H when P/P is the breed that's going to get you real results.

Jemmariz
Pet Score:5100
Realm:Runetotem-us

Post by Jemmariz » April 12th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Collecting pets on my boyfriend's account was originally how I got started playing WoW before it was "cool" aka MoP. I do not think there are any "great" pets not worth hunting for, but I have set limits for myself such as no real life money for pets and no AH prices over 10k without consulting guides etc etc. Also, I am constantly watching the AH for bargins on the "great" pets and have lots of patience in farming.

My favorite underrated pet is the Amethyst Spiderling or another spider with brittle webbing and spiderling swarm. Also the diemetradon hatchling, it was one of the first rares I ever captured in the wild. :lol: :D Oh and probably the Disgusting Oozeling.

Overrated pets (does not mean I like them any less) would be the Unborn Val'kyr, Lil'Ragnaros, Darkmoon Rabbit, and the Magical Crawdad.

Good luck with farming! :D

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » April 13th, 2015, 1:42 pm

I will defend the Honor of the Iron Starlette, which is probably my 2nd favorite Mechanical out there. But that is one of those pets you really do need to have the right breed and to me that is P/P. Sure it's slow as can be but Windup-Supercharge-Windup - stuff dies.

Most over-rated to me are the following:
* Gilnean Raven: I suspect my reason to include this is simple - there is one breed that rules them all and that is the S/S breed. Since that is no longer an available breed and I'm stuck with a B/B, I find the Gilnean Raven about as exciting as paint drying.

* Darkmoon Tonk: Maybe this is just more of a PvP thing or maybe it's because a girl never forgets her first level 25 pet, but I rarely touch my Darkmoon Tonk. You can see my under-rated for my first love when it comes to mechanicals.

* Molton Corgi: I swear if this pet wasn't so adorable rubbing its butt along the ground leaving a molton skidmark behind then sniffing it, it wouldn't have gotten as high as it has. Maybe because it does that thing the Turnip does. I still find it a useless pet. It could be a PvP thing and I've done like 5 PvP

* Hatespark: I paid 32k for a pet that I leveled to 25 and now completely ignore. For those of you thinking of paying real life money to obtain this pet please realize that it is quite simply the most useless pet to have in your collection and you would be paying money to simply have the pixels.

* Crabs: I know people who swear by crabs. I swear that they are great sauted in garlic. My aquatic of choice are the Striders/Skimmers.

Most Underrated Pets:

* Tranquil Mechanical Yeti - I don't understand why this isn't in the top 20. But then again this was my first pet I leveled to 25 and a girl never forgets her first. I used him all the time when I was gathering wild pets, I use him for several of my Pet Tamer teams. Not sure how he is for PvP since I don't really PvP, but I know Lil Bigfoot like the back of my hand. He's one of my favorite!

* Rapana Whelk - Before I had a big selection of pets I used my Idol for everything but it took forever. Now I swear by my Rapana Whelk, who kills those Pandaran Spirit Tamers like the 90-lb weaklings that they are!

* Oily Slimelings/Jade Oozeling/Disgusting Oozelings - Moth Killers, nuff said!

* Bone Serpant - This has to be my favorite of all the new pets, probably the only one I use on any regularity. This thing can take out 2 of those nutso Humanoids over at Tarr in Nagrand. Just make sure you get the S/S breed.

* Frostfur Rat - This was my first rare WoD pet and Lil Frosty has been a great killer of the Undead. Maybe I'm the only one that sees the charm in this lil rodent but she's a favorite of mine.

THere you go!

Jchertudi86
Pet Score:1137
Realm:Icecrown-us

Post by Jchertudi86 » April 14th, 2015, 10:34 pm

Frostfur Rat is a nice mention. The only difficulty is which breed to get it in. S/S is safe but I went with P/S and generally don't regret it. 309 speed is usually sufficient. Furthermore, he's a critter so he gets used against Undead, who are generally slow with huge health pools, so this breed seems like a nice balance. Sneak Attack + Crouch + Call Darkness with a speed advantage is very powerful. I agree it is somewhat underrated and brings a new, interesting moveset to a family currently very underrepresented in PVP (which is especially interesting given that Undead show up in nearly every battle!)

Lixalee
Top Rater
Pet Score:13016

Post by Lixalee » April 15th, 2015, 1:09 pm

On the Top 20 list the two that I found surprising were the Gilnean Raven and Murkalot. I used the raven on one team in MoP and that's it (and frankly he wasn't great -- Ti'un the Wanderer -- moths were better). As for Murkalot, I give him 5 stars on appearance and animation, but I don't think I've used him once since I leveled him. The Top 20 list is chock full of pets I use every day (Chrominius, Darkmoon Zep or Tonk, Water Spirit, etc.) but one I use all the time that i don't see listed is the Lil' Black Wolf. Maybe people don't feel that he's Top 20 worthy, but I'd sure rate him higher than the raven or Murkalot.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 15th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I have already posted in this thread..I would like to defend the Gilnean Raven though. I spent many hours using mine near Aki the Chosen vs aquatics to level my collection..both the s/s and p/s were terrific. I know the crow is just as great but I have a soft spot for the ravens since they helped me improve my collection so much

They also brought me some gold in the AH over time..which never hurts

Sternish
MVP
Pet Score:4502
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Sternish » April 16th, 2015, 1:09 am

I'm going to chime in to show some love for one of my more recent favorites, the Purple Puffer. He's one tough little fish. A P/P breed, the move set I normally use is Surge, Healing Wave, Pump. Team him up with a Jademist Dancer and you can put up some big numbers with Pump and really mess up the "addition hit if you go first" attacks with Surge.

All around a really fun and tough pet that IMO doesn't get much recognition. ;)

Maleric
Pet Score:486
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Maleric » April 19th, 2015, 12:30 am

Qiraji Guardling s/s is underrated. Sandstorm counters AoE teams, and it gets hit less than Anubisath Idol because it can stun before activating Sandstorm. Very good against what seems popular right now, even with the drawback of having to deal with undead pets.

Polygasms
Top Rater
Pet Score:4331
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Polygasms » April 22nd, 2015, 2:52 pm

I agree with most of what has been posted so far, but would like to add 2 underrated pets:

Jade Owl: This is actually one of those perfect pets, does good damage to aquatic pets and also takes less damage from them.

Jungle Grub: This little guy really needs to get some respect, he might not be one of the hardest hitting pets, but against a humanoid he is one of the hardiest. Most humanoids will do reduced damage to him, and he has consume + Leap. He is very good at tackling more than one humanoid pet on a team.

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » April 22nd, 2015, 5:45 pm

Jchertudi86 wrote:Frostfur Rat is a nice mention. The only difficulty is which breed to get it in. S/S is safe but I went with P/S and generally don't regret it. 309 speed is usually sufficient. Furthermore, he's a critter so he gets used against Undead, who are generally slow with huge health pools, so this breed seems like a nice balance. Sneak Attack + Crouch + Call Darkness with a speed advantage is very powerful. I agree it is somewhat underrated and brings a new, interesting moveset to a family currently very underrepresented in PVP (which is especially interesting given that Undead show up in nearly every battle!)
I agree with the P/S over the S/S. I got the P/S first and worked with that for ages and felt I should get the S/S. But in the end I don't think I'm really gaining anything with the S/S but losing some stuff with the P/S.

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » April 22nd, 2015, 5:47 pm

Maleric wrote:Qiraji Guardling s/s is underrated. Sandstorm counters AoE teams, and it gets hit less than Anubisath Idol because it can stun before activating Sandstorm. Very good against what seems popular right now, even with the drawback of having to deal with undead pets.
Don't talk to me about the *)#$% Qiraji Guardling

*** looks at calendar and sees it is only 59 more days until she can finally get that damn pet and Zookeeper achieve ***

Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Beave » April 24th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Swamp Croaker is the best critter you have and it's not a critter. Tongue Lash and Swarm of Flies along with Bubble for a 2 round block, plus as aquatic he has high defense against undead attacks. I like the H/B version. Croaker just demolishes undead trainer pets and is very strong in PVP when you run into the inevitable Unborn Val team. Rabbits have their place, I like the cow as a strong critter, but most of the time when you want a critter to counter undead pets, go with Croaker.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » April 26th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Three underrated pets that come to mind:

Infected Squirrel
It is a go-to pet in both PvE and PvP.
It's my favorite undead pet (PvE). It combos really well. I used it on three of the four Celestials for example.
It's not a top tier pvp pet, but it has many favorable match-ups in PvP. It has synergy with a lot of pets. Lightning Storm/Delayed damage/Moonlight/Wild Magic are things that come to mind. It's easy to form a team around it.

Waterfly
It's a flying pet with a heal, which is good by itself. It does not simply have a heal, it also has avoidance! This is a very strong combination. This defensive pet has many uses. Avoidance + Heal + Flying racial is great for a stall pet!
This pet is underrated because Teroclaw Hatchling has a similar move set. The main difference is that Teroclaw can choose its type, and that it can heal from the back row. The Teroclaw Hatchling is more versatile, but the Waterfly has higher speed and a strong direct heal.

Mechanical Scorpid
It has Extra Plating and Blinding Poison. This combination is AMAZING in PvE (when you are faster), and really great in PvP.
In PvE you know the rotation, so you can eliminate cool downs through Blinding Poison. This is especially great against delayed damage. And when their cool downs are gone, you can reduce the damage taken if you want to.
This is good stall pet in PvP. It does decent damage and has great defenses. One needs to calculate a lot though.

Stella3
Pet Score:4018
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Stella3 » April 27th, 2015, 1:51 am

S/S Rabbit, because the name alone just doesn't strike fear in anyone. Its just a rabbit! Oh but that rabbit can nearly solo an entire team as they are swapping all their pets around trying to finish her off. Then as a final move I will stampede and bring their pets armor down and single shot them with my next pet.

Never, never, underestimate a rabbit.

Cheaptoad
Pet Score:4199
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Cheaptoad » May 6th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Some great responses. I'd love to keep this post going. I'm getting some great info. Since I'm fairly new at this.

Dreamshard
Pet Score:8360
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Dreamshard » May 12th, 2015, 7:50 am

not even close the most overrated pet is mechanical pandaren dragon and his exact counter as the underrated doesn't even have type advantage bone barrage nuff said put this pet to rest hes worthless with serpent on ur team which why would u not want on ur team no other pet has better or more powerful moves then him and btw also counters frogs at type disadvantage barrage again to eat bubble then fly and knock him out cold with darkness up which cuts his healing in half tell me this isn't the best answer u have seen

Guccia
Pet Score:13752
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Guccia » May 12th, 2015, 9:50 am

I love fox kit. Tol Barad was the first set of daily's that I ever done. I spent many months getting all the mounts and pets. I use fox kit all the time in PvP and when he dance's I just get a kick out of it.