Sea Calf's best breed?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Tallonsden
Pet Score:4792
Realm:Stormrage-us
Sea Calf's best breed?

Post by Tallonsden » April 5th, 2015, 9:25 am

On my server there's usually 3-4 on the ah and before I buy one, was wondering what the best breed is.

S/B , P/B , H/B or B/B

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Sea Calf's best breed?

Post by Luciandk » April 5th, 2015, 10:12 am

As the Sea Calf's breeds all is a variation on X/B, theres not much difference between them. Personally id say that S/B is pulling slightly ahead of the pack, as it buff its speed to a respectable 289. The other speed numbers being 273 and 276 which feels a bit wasted, yet not enough in truly be good at edging out speedwise.

Water Jet, Dive and Feed seems to be the better ability set to use with an S/B.

Sternish
MVP
Pet Score:4502
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Sternish » April 5th, 2015, 6:28 pm

I don't know if its the best per se but I went with the S/B simply because of the second slot abilities. Both Bubble and Dive benefit from speed. I could see an argument for the P/B as Feed and Blood in the Water would both be better with more power, and you have a priority ability in Surge if needs be.

I guess it just comes down to how you want to play it.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » April 5th, 2015, 8:32 pm

I puzzled over this for a while and given how close the other stats are, I think really the only two choices are higher health or higher speed. Given that higher speed is only 289, I went with higher health. Either way, I think the power stats are too close for it to be a factor.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » April 5th, 2015, 9:35 pm

My thoughts on pets like this is - 289 is a very middle of the road speed—it's average—it's not very fast, or slow.

In PVP many of the pets you go up against will be faster than that. Therefor, seeing you will likely go second anyway, I personally feel more power would give you an advantage. And if you decide to use Surge, that extra power will go first anyway.

The health breed will likely only soak up one enemy attack. After that attack is over though, they will still be going first, so it's better in my book to do more damage—it seems to be the only stat advantage this pet has.

In PVE, it depends on what you'll be fighting. Most tamer pets will still be faster than 289 and you will end up going second no matter which speed you choose. If you're battling pets out in the world, then speed may have an advantage considering your pet will likely be level 25, and the enemy pet will likely be lower speed due to stat loss.

It would be nice is this pet came with slightly more speed—even 297 would be slightly more than average. Then I would, say go for speed.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » April 5th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Abashera wrote: The health breed will likely only soak up one enemy attack. After that attack is over though, they will still be going first, so it's better in my book to do more damage—it seems to be the only stat advantage this pet has.
Something to keep in mind, the P/B breed only does 16 more damage per hit than the H/B or S/B. That's gonna take 18ish attacks to get an "extra" attack. While if the extra health lets you live one more round (big IF I know), then you do get the full extra attack (Even if the pet is faster than you). I will say, I was most torn between P/B and H/B on this.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829