Please help a Pet Newbie!

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Jaikagen
Pet Score:7010
BattleTag®:Jaikagen#1237
Realm:Bloodfeather-eu
Please help a Pet Newbie!

Post by Jaikagen » March 20th, 2015, 2:21 pm

Im fairly new to pet battling and collecting, only started in the few months and have been collecting like a mad person. However, so many of my pets are not of rare quality, and this bothers me greatly! A good amount i can go back and re-capture at some point [im after world safari atm and starting from scratch ive just been getting it after 10 ish attempts on easy to find ones, and any on ones that are harder].

Whats the best way to get stones to upgrade them? ive seen it on the comments section alot that people use the stone on rarer finds. I know i can get 2 a day from draenor dailys, but are there other ways of obtaining them? Thanks in advance :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: Please help a Pet Newbie!

Post by Kpb321 » March 20th, 2015, 3:21 pm

There are two good ways.

1) Draenor Dailies

2) MoP Dailies

The MoP dailies give bags that can randomly have an upgrade stone in them instead of giving you currency used to buy an upgrade stone. Both of these give pretty good exp if you carry a low level pet as your third pet.

Erdinger
Pet Score:12848
BattleTag®:Goldhaar#2899
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Erdinger » March 20th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Jaikagen wrote:im after world safari atm and starting from scratch ive just been getting it after 10 ish attempts on easy to find ones, and any on ones that are harder
If you haven't already, rush to Winterspring and capture the Snowy Owl. It's a seasonal pet, meaning it's only available in the winter period, so unless you capture it now (I believe tomorrow is the last chance) it'll be a long wait untill your next chance :)

Happy collecting and don't worry about upgrade stones just yet, you'll get plenty of them eventually :)

Jaikagen

Post by Jaikagen » March 20th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Thanks :) I have the snowy owl, i got it not realising it would be gone soon :)

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » March 20th, 2015, 11:18 pm

After I got safaris (I have all but that summer pet) - revisiting areas looking for rates was a great way for me to help level low-level pets and a much need break from doing the same trainer circuits over and over again. I know people will argue that the best way to level is MoP trainer routes but I get bored quickly doing the same thing every day. For me I would pick an area where I was missing rares and work my level 1 pets up 5-10 levels. I guess to me it kept battle pets fresh and I would always get a few rares in the process with no need for stones.

Pettea
Pet Score:2181
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Pettea » March 21st, 2015, 12:35 am

By far the easiest method of obtaining rare stones is to find an experienced pet battler, and pay them some gold for it.

Find someone you trust. I'm fairly certain you can get the upgrades extremely cheap, even casual battlers such as myself have stones oozing out of our noses.

Rafein
Pet Score:1740
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Rafein » March 21st, 2015, 6:00 am

Easiest way is to do Draenor pet trainer dailies, and get multiple characters to level 3 Menagerie.

Menagerie you can do once per character for 8ish pet charms, each trainer daily can give you 3 charms once a day per account. Then can check the Menagerie quest giver, she she'll sell you pet stones for charms.

Caega
Pet Score:5857
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Caega » March 22nd, 2015, 3:14 am

Pettea wrote:I'm fairly certain you can get the upgrades extremely cheap, even casual battlers such as myself have stones oozing out of our noses.
If you're getting one of these stones, demand a discount. Make sure the stone is clean before throwing it at your pet (unless the pet is a Kun-Lai Runt because he'll just stick it up his own nose anyway).

Celya
Top Rater
Pet Score:4103
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Celya » March 23rd, 2015, 12:26 pm

Jaikagen wrote:Im fairly new to pet battling and collecting, only started in the few months and have been collecting like a mad person.
You're in the right spot, then!
Jaikagen wrote:Whats the best way to get stones to upgrade them?
The best way to upgrade your pets really depends on how much of a hurry you are in. If you're like me, and impatient, then get started on the Pandaria pet battle circuit ASAP and do that every day. That burns you out quick, though, even when you get used to the carry-pet strategies and can do it with your eyes closed in your sleep. And it's a bit RNG dependant since some days you'll get more stones than others. But it also helps you level your own stable, and drops a few pets that still sell quite well (on my server, at least).

The WoD circuit has a smaller amount of trainers, but rewards charms which makes it a lot less RNG dependant and also allows you to pick which pet you want to upgrade first, rather than having to upgrade another aquatic pet because you got another aquatic stone when you really want to upgrade your emerald whelpling or whatever instead.

If you just do the Menagerie battles every day (the one in your menagerie as well as using group finder to get Erris) you get charms as well. This is a relatively small amount of time invested on your part, and the trickle of charms can add up (especially if you happen to have alts). However, this is probably the slowest way.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » March 23rd, 2015, 12:53 pm

Another trick is to park unused alts at several of the "safe" tamers that give you bags. This will save you lots of time, when you can just switch over between toons AND they will get a decent chunk of exp in the process. Not all tamers with bags are in safe spots, so you will need to pick and choose (Vale, Icecrown, Winterspring (relatively speaking), Thundering Pandaren Spirit are good starting points. I have a $0 something parked at the one in Kara. Its a little tight in timing to get the battle started before I agro the mobs, but I found that I can run behind the crypt and usually have them get leashed back before they catch me..)

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » March 23rd, 2015, 1:53 pm

I sent you a pm but noticed your on an EU server so I don't think I can do what I said I would. I am sorry, but if there's a way to do trades between EU and a US server then I can upgrade those pets for you.

Jaikagen

Post by Jaikagen » March 23rd, 2015, 6:29 pm

Thanks for all the replies. ATM ive just been doing the WoD dailys, but ill start doing some more ty.

And yeah, i replied to your message when i noticed the time zone, but thanks again, it was a kind offer :D

Donnamartin
Pet Score:3930
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Donnamartin » March 26th, 2015, 10:37 pm

Get a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling asap, it wrecks almost all the WOD dailies.