Powerleveling in Garrison post 6.1 (Squirt strat inside)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us
Re: Powerleveling in Garrison post 6.1 (Squirt strat inside)

Post by Moonie1 » March 5th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Updated original post to show the powerleveling strat I worked on this morning. Enjoy :)

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » March 5th, 2015, 2:40 pm

This is the strat I used. Modified from ElFuego's:
Zandalari Anklerender (any breed)
Blighthawk (EDIT: Ghastly Kid with Infected Bite, Ethereal, and Ghostly Bite is a more stable pick. )

Deebs:
Primal Cry => Black Claw => Hunting Party (Deebs dies to 2nd round of Hunting party

Tyri:
Primal Cry (you die to Darkness) (EDIT: with the nerf, you can often times, survive this...just black claw after this)
Lift Off( to avoid the stun attack...EDIT: not needed if Anklerender soaks the stun attack )
Infected Bite until in Ghostly Bite Range, then Ghostly Bite to finish off.

Puzzle:
Swap to Carry on first round (Puzzle casts Dodge here)
Swap to Blighthawk.
Infected Bite until in Ghostly Bite range (remember you get a damage boost from the buff)

Not 100% due to Darkness misses, but works the majority of the time. Also note that I didn't test it against the current nerfed versions yet (will soon).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » March 6th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Jerebear wrote:This is the strat I used. Modified from ElFuego's:
Zandalari Anklerender (any breed)
Blighthawk (EDIT: Ghastly Kid with Infected Bite, Ethereal, and Ghostly Bite is a more stable pick. )

Deebs:
Primal Cry => Black Claw => Hunting Party (Deebs dies to 2nd round of Hunting party

Tyri:
Primal Cry (you die to Darkness) (EDIT: with the nerf, you can often times, survive this...just black claw after this)
Lift Off( to avoid the stun attack...EDIT: not needed if Anklerender soaks the stun attack )
Infected Bite until in Ghostly Bite Range, then Ghostly Bite to finish off.

Puzzle:
Swap to Carry on first round (Puzzle casts Dodge here)
Swap to Blighthawk.
Infected Bite until in Ghostly Bite range (remember you get a damage boost from the buff)

Not 100% due to Darkness misses, but works the majority of the time. Also note that I didn't test it against the current nerfed versions yet (will soon).
I did it last night to help someone level a batch of 16 pets, plus my own RWL3's and it works extremely well with the Ghastly Kid. If the raptor dies to darkness then just use Ethereal to soak the stun, and if you get several misses you can also use the Ethereal to soak the stun when it comes around. You will often survive the darkness and just spam Black Claw until you die or just switch to the Ghastly Kid once the stun has been used. If the stun hits the raptor will always die. But once the stun has been used you will take the omnislash hits either way, so you may as well swap.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 6th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Rendigar wrote: I did it last night to help someone level a batch of 16 pets, plus my own RWL3's and it works extremely well with the Ghastly Kid. If the raptor dies to darkness then just use Ethereal to soak the stun, and if you get several misses you can also use the Ethereal to soak the stun when it comes around. You will often survive the darkness and just spam Black Claw until you die or just switch to the Ghastly Kid once the stun has been used. If the stun hits the raptor will always die. But once the stun has been used you will take the omnislash hits either way, so you may as well swap.
Yeah, I really like the Ghastly for this one. Initially I was a bit worried with it having less power than the blight hawk, but at 12 rounds per battle (when things fall into place), it never became an issue. I posted the modified strat in another thread, but here it is for completeness:
Inspired from Elfuego's Blighthawk strat.

This strat works in 12 rounds if everything falls into place. It can take longer if there are Darkness misses.

Zandalari Anklerender (Hunting Party, Primal Cry, Black Claw)
Ghastly Kid (Diseased Bite, Ethereal, Ghostly Bite)
Carry pet that can survive Omni Slash (usually just 1 round, but occasionally more due to darkness misses)

Deebs:
Primal Cry
Black Claw
Hunting Party
Hunting Party continues

Tyri
Primal Cry (occasionally will die here)
Black Claw (if the raptor isn't dead by this round, swap in the Ghastly)
Bring in the Ghastly Kid and do Diseased Bite until in Ghostly Bite range (usually just 1 Diseased Bite needed). Ethereal if Tyri's stun move is available.

Puzzle
Swap to carry on first round (Puzzle dodges)
Swap to Ghastly kid
Diseased Bite
Ghostly Bite

Normally this takes just 12 rounds (4 rounds per enemy pet), but darkness misses can make it last longer.
Is this similar to how you played it out?

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » March 6th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Tried the strategy Moonie1 posted, but had to use something else because I don't have a Ghostly Skull leveled yet.
I used a Lost of Lordaeron (B/B) instead. Still worked like a charm. You can probably use any decent undead pet, to be honest.

- Start with Yu'la, use Breath until Deebs dies
- Lift off, Yu'la dies. Switch to Undead Pet, Shadow Slash (or whatever attack the pet has) until Tyri is dead
- Switch to Carry Pet, switch to Undead Pet, Shadow Slash (see above) until Puzzle is dead.

Arji
MVP
Pet Score:11812
BattleTag®:Arji#2548
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Arji » March 7th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Leveled my Toon from 98-99 2/3 yesterday evening (Darkmoon Carouselbuff) Had to get invited by Guildies and then random people shortly before reset to their Garrison.

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling soloes the whole team (if Tyri doesn't mess with your luck.) [thanks Snowtap]
I used Breath, Thunderbolt, Decoy.
Just make sure you use Decoy when Tyri comes in. Other than that Thunderbolt pretty much off cooldown and Breath otherwise.
Swap Levelpet in as mentioned before when Puzzle enters (one of his first two rounds)
I had a Blighthawk as Backup. Seldom used him to Gostbite Puzzle to death.
°° Swiss (-German) °° @Home on Lothar (EU) Horde [German] and
Silvermoon (EU) Alliance [English] (EU warcraftpets Guild)

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:08 am

Shingetsu wrote:Tried the strategy Moonie1 posted, but had to use something else because I don't have a Ghostly Skull leveled yet.
I used a Lost of Lordaeron (B/B) instead. Still worked like a charm. You can probably use any decent undead pet, to be honest.

- Start with Yu'la, use Breath until Deebs dies
- Lift off, Yu'la dies. Switch to Undead Pet, Shadow Slash (or whatever attack the pet has) until Tyri is dead
- Switch to Carry Pet, switch to Undead Pet, Shadow Slash (see above) until Puzzle is dead.
I use the Ghostly Skull for the Ghostly Bite. It will one shot Tyri (if Lift-Off landed) and thus prevent any(more) backline damage to the powerlevel pet. This allows you to use a pet with around 300 hp safely in most cases. The darkness weather is the random spoiler in the fight as usual.
Arji wrote:Leveled my Toon from 98-99 2/3 yesterday evening (Darkmoon Carouselbuff) Had to get invited by Guildies and then random people shortly before reset to their Garrison.

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling soloes the whole team (if Tyri doesn't mess with your luck.) [thanks Snowtap]
I used Breath, Thunderbolt, Decoy.
Just make sure you use Decoy when Tyri comes in. Other than that Thunderbolt pretty much off cooldown and Breath otherwise.
Swap Levelpet in as mentioned before when Puzzle enters (one of his first two rounds)
I had a Blighthawk as Backup. Seldom used him to Gostbite Puzzle to death.
How many rounds does that strat take Arji? Still looking for shorter strats than the 11 round one I posted. :) Need to get it down to how fast Jahan was. ;)

Anasa
Top Rater
Pet Score:2322
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Anasa » March 20th, 2015, 12:11 pm

Moonie1 wrote:Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon* (P/S 1 2 1)
Ghostly Skull (H/P 1 1 2)
Powerlevel Pet (300+ hp)
* substitutions at bottom of post

vs. Deebs: TAIL SWEEP til Deebs is dead (always takes 4)
vs. Tyri: LIFT-OFF, then bring/swap in Ghostly Skull, use GHOSTLY BITE if Tyri is under 975 life, otherwise use SHADOW SLASH.
vs. Puzzle: Swap to Powerlevel Pet, swap to Ghostly Skull, then spam SHADOW SLASH til Puzzle dies.

Your powerlevel pet will take around 172 damage if Tyri dies to the Ghostly Bite in round 7.

The typical fight goes like this:
Round 1: Breath hits
Round 2: Breath hits
Round 3: Breath hits
Round 4: Breath hits (Deebs dies)
Round 5: Lift-Off starts
Round 6: Lift-Off lands (Yu'la dies, Ghostly Skull comes in)
Round 7: Ghostly Bite hits (Tyri dies)
Round 8: switch to Powerlevel pet
Round 9: switch to Ghostly Skull
Round 10: Shadow Slash hits
Round 11: Ghostly Bite hits (Puzzle dies)
I did this today, and I found that Ghastly Kid is pretty great in place of the skull. When Puzzle's getting close to dead, I just Haunt and swap in the power level pet. Haunt will kill Puzzle while the leveling pet soaks a hit or two. I haven't tried it with a pet lower than 15 or so, but as long as they have about 600 HP it should work.

Edit: As of today, my leveling pets are getting ~3k XP (with only safari hat), so it looks like we can still powerlevel with Squirt this week.

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 20th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Anasa wrote:
Moonie1 wrote:Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon* (P/S 1 2 1)
Ghostly Skull (H/P 1 1 2)
Powerlevel Pet (300+ hp)
* substitutions at bottom of post

vs. Deebs: TAIL SWEEP til Deebs is dead (always takes 4)
vs. Tyri: LIFT-OFF, then bring/swap in Ghostly Skull, use GHOSTLY BITE if Tyri is under 975 life, otherwise use SHADOW SLASH.
vs. Puzzle: Swap to Powerlevel Pet, swap to Ghostly Skull, then spam SHADOW SLASH til Puzzle dies.

Your powerlevel pet will take around 172 damage if Tyri dies to the Ghostly Bite in round 7.

The typical fight goes like this:
Round 1: Breath hits
Round 2: Breath hits
Round 3: Breath hits
Round 4: Breath hits (Deebs dies)
Round 5: Lift-Off starts
Round 6: Lift-Off lands (Yu'la dies, Ghostly Skull comes in)
Round 7: Ghostly Bite hits (Tyri dies)
Round 8: switch to Powerlevel pet
Round 9: switch to Ghostly Skull
Round 10: Shadow Slash hits
Round 11: Ghostly Bite hits (Puzzle dies)
I did this today, and I found that Ghastly Kid is pretty great in place of the skull. When Puzzle's getting close to dead, I just Haunt and swap in the power level pet. Haunt will kill Puzzle while the leveling pet soaks a hit or two. I haven't tried it with a pet lower than 15 or so, but as long as they have about 600 HP it should work.

Edit: As of today, my leveling pets are getting ~3k XP (with only safari hat), so it looks like we can still powerlevel with Squirt this week.
Thanks for trying new pets Anasa! :)

After your suggestion, I tested the Ghastly Kid with Haunt. It required more than 11 rounds when it was flawless (15 rounds), but a fair amount of the time, Dodge or Portal was the issue when trying to use Haunt at the end, causing it to take three more rounds to win (18 rounds).

I also tried using Ghostly Bite instead of Haunt (the bite only does 840 on the H/H Kid vs the 975 on the H/P Ghostly Skull) so it couldnt one shot Tyri when it came in if your Lift-Off didnt do enough damage. If Lift-Off did get Tyri below 840, I used Ghostly Bite to kill Tyri, swapped to my powerlevel pet, then back to the Ghastly Kid, hit Diseased Bite once and finished off Puzzle with Ghostly Bite in 11 rounds (if you tried to spam Diseased Bite, the Portal/Dodge combo would prolong the fight). So it was the same amount of rounds as the Ghostly Skull strat except you had to hope your Lift-Off did enough damage with the Ghastly Kid. If Lift-Off failed to do enough damage, I had to use 1 Diseased Bite to get Tyri in 1 hit range from Ghostly Bite, which meant an extra round of backline damage to the powerlevel pet. (on a sidenote: the Kid's Ghostly Bite hit for 1050 on the debuffed Puzzle if anyone wanted to know)

I would stick with the H/P Ghostly Skull if you have the option. It will be more consistant than the Kid where you have to hope the damage spread from the Lift-Off hits hard enough. When using the skull, that damage spread is not a factor.

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 20th, 2015, 5:34 pm

Original Post updated to reflect findings on character experience on this battle.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 20th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Moonie1 wrote:Original Post updated to reflect findings on character experience on this battle.
The values you posted are consistent with the Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide here at WCP, so no changes.

On a side note, if you do end up using the Wild Crimson Hatchling (which you noted as a possible substitution) in place of Yu'la make sure to use the moveset:
Breath, Scorched Earth, Liftoff and do:

Breath
Breath
Breath
Scorched Earth

It'll make up for having less attack power than Yu'la, keeping you at 4 rounds vs Deebs (otherwise, it might take 5 rounds if all hits are low). Tyri will change the weather next round, so the scorched earth ticks won't be a huge deal.

EDIT: Also, I really like the frostwolf ghostpup as the Ghostly Bite, despite having both slot 1 abilities weak to humans:
1. His Ghostly bite always does enough damage to kill Tyri as long as the lift off hit (I.E. the low damage on liftoff + ghostly bite = dead Tyri), so no need to hit multiple times unless there are darkness misses.
2. On the odd chance there are darkness misses, he has refuge to block the second surge of light (cast a round ahead).
3. Due to the buff from Puzzle, his slot 1 attacks will hit enough to kill puzzle when paired with a ghostly bite (and one of the abilities does extra damage in darkness).
Last edited by Jerebear on March 20th, 2015, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sepsis
Pet Score:4668
BattleTag®:Kaivic#1622
Realm:Gnomeregan-us

Post by Sepsis » March 20th, 2015, 8:22 pm

I came up with a couple of strategies to avoid misses and carry pet damage while grinding out some XP. These may not be perfect as things got mind-numbing after a while. Overall though I think the lack of RNG is worth the extra time.

Strategy 1 (~1:17)
Fastest, but carry pet eats a Weakness and an XT is required.

Enchanted Broom (2/2/2)
Lil' XT (1/2/2)
Carry Pet (325+HP)

Round 1: Sweep
Round 2: Switch to Lil' XT
Round 3: Heartbroken
Round 4-6: Tantrum (Puzzle dies)
Round 7: Switch to Carry Pet
Round 8: Switch to Enchanted Broom
Round 9: Wind-Up
Round 10: Sweep
Round 11: Wind-Up

Strategy 2 (~1:35-1:40)
Slower, but no carry pet damage and no store/tcg pets.

Enchanted Broom (2/2/2)
Weebomination (just Cleave)

Round 2: Switch to Carry Pet
Round 3: Switch to Weebomination
Round 4-11: Cleave (the back row should die by round 10, death round should trigger on 11)
Round 12: Switch to Enchanted Broom (Puzzle should waste Portal)
Round 13: Batter

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 21st, 2015, 12:08 am

Jerebear wrote:
Moonie1 wrote:Original Post updated to reflect findings on character experience on this battle.
The values you posted are consistent with the Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide here at WCP, so no changes.
Huh? I didnt post any carry pet values. I posted the character experience gained from using heirlooms on non-100 toons doing the battle.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 21st, 2015, 6:53 am

Moonie1 wrote:
Jerebear wrote:
Huh? I didnt post any carry pet values. I posted the character experience gained from using heirlooms on non-100 toons doing the battle.
My apologies, I saw this in your thread below the March 20th update and missed the "March 5th" right above it as well as the "character" in your original statement. I somehow read pet experience (maybe because of Squirts unique pet experience now, my mind just filled in the "pet" instead).
Moonie1 wrote: March 5th, 2015. Squirt's fight is today.
I got 2760 xps on a unbuffed level 15 pet for the fight.
I got 3441 xps on a fully buffed level 22 pet. (+10%, +25% and +50% buffs)

Foxyproxy
Top Rater
Pet Score:2937
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Foxyproxy » March 21st, 2015, 7:54 am

Sepsis wrote:I came up with a couple of strategies to avoid misses and carry pet damage while grinding out some XP. These may not be perfect as things got mind-numbing after a while. Overall though I think the lack of RNG is worth the extra time.

Strategy 2 (~1:35-1:40)

Enchanted Broom (2/2/2)

Round 4-11: Cleave (the back row should die by round 10, death round should trigger on 11)
Created an account just to say thank you , i didnt take the chance to level my pets before and after the nerf with 6.1 i thought it was too late , but with this strategy i was able to level so many level 1 pets that i needed , also was able to level others in case i needed them and this strategy is perfect with no RNG to mess things up.

Thanks a looooooooooot :) , really grateful for this and i appreciate you sharing this wonderful strategy :P

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » March 21st, 2015, 8:07 am

OOOh I've got Squirt today, time to get a few levels on things

Arji
MVP
Pet Score:11812
BattleTag®:Arji#2548
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Arji » March 21st, 2015, 1:05 pm

Moonie1 wrote: How many rounds does that strat take Arji? Still looking for shorter strats than the 11 round one I posted. :) Need to get it down to how fast Jahan was. ;)
I have Squirt today. So I went back and checked. It depends on luck how many I end up but it's not faster than yours.
I went and took your team and leveled all afternoon with that.

I assume you can't go lower than 11 rounds
The first pet is Magic Pet and doesn't take more than 35% Dmg per Round so no One-Hitting him.
The Skull is great for Tyri.

Want to try the Strategies Sepsis posted to see if the 11 rounds can get any faster and how I do including lvl 1 pets
(Still have many higher level ones to keep me occupied .. :lol: )
°° Swiss (-German) °° @Home on Lothar (EU) Horde [German] and
Silvermoon (EU) Alliance [English] (EU warcraftpets Guild)

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 21st, 2015, 2:22 pm

Im sure there is something out there that will make it faster than 11 rounds. Maybe by 1 or 2 rounds but every bit counts. :)

I will try Sepsis' suggestions next time Squirt comes up, see if they can be toyed with and maybe shave off a round!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I like to test each one.

Niaabi
Top Rater

Post by Niaabi » March 21st, 2015, 6:22 pm

I've been leveling a few lvl 1 pets to 9 using the below:

[pet]Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling[/pet] - [ability]Breath[/ability] on Deebsuntil he's dead (should be left with no lower than 600 hp in most cases), then you should get one breath in on Tyri before using [ability]Explode[/ability] (gets Tyri down to around the 500 hp mark).
[pet]Crawling Claw[/pet] - use 1 [ability]Shadow Slash[/ability] to kill Tyri then Puzzle should enter the fight.
Swap out Crawling Claw for your carry pet as Puzzle will always use [ability]Dodge[/ability] as his first move so you can swap your carry pet back out after he has done this.
Bring back Crawling Claw to kill Puzzle using shadow slash.

I've found that this strat works on around 95% of fights, bad rng could mean that Tyri gets in more than 1 round of [ability]Omnislash[/ability] and kills your carry pet but I've found this to be rare in the battles I've done today. Also Tyri's omnislash kills dragon pets on the one move so this strat won't work with them if they are only level 1.

Hope the above helps some people :)

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » April 4th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Sepsis wrote:I came up with a couple of strategies to avoid misses and carry pet damage while grinding out some XP. These may not be perfect as things got mind-numbing after a while. Overall though I think the lack of RNG is worth the extra time.

Strategy 1 (~1:17)
Fastest, but carry pet eats a Weakness and an XT is required.

Enchanted Broom (2/2/2)
Lil' XT (1/2/2)
Carry Pet (325+HP)

Round 2: Switch to Lil' XT
Round 3: Heartbroken
Round 4-6: Tantrum (Puzzle dies)
Round 7: Switch to Carry Pet
Round 8: Switch to Enchanted Broom
Round 9: Wind-Up
Round 10: Sweep
Round 11: Wind-Up
Puzzle portals out on Round 6 if I got a crit on him before then (I didnt know what to do so I just restarted). Otherwise it was exactly as you posted.
Sepsis wrote:Strategy 2 (~1:35-1:40)

Enchanted Broom (2/2/2)

Worked as stated, sometimes Weeb got a lucky crit in on Puzzle at the end and finished the fight in round 11.

I like your use of the broom to take Tyri and Deebs out of the fight and bring in the lower damage pet, Portal.