Favorite WoD Pet

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Salus
Pet Score:8751
Realm:Hyjal-us
Favorite WoD Pet

Post by Salus » March 6th, 2015, 12:30 am

So it's been a few months. I'm curious what new (post-WoD release) battle pet people are finding they use the most? Personally, I am finding myself leaning on tried and true combos without really exploring the new pets as much as I probably should. Please focus your comments on battling ability (not appearance).

Myon
BattleTag®:Myon#1319
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Re: Favorite WoD Pet

Post by Myon » March 6th, 2015, 12:58 am

S/S Bronze Whelpling, probably the overall strongest new pet in WoD in my opinion.

It's an almost unparalleled sweeper, having access to the dragonkin racial, and Crystal Prison at 325 speed. Both combined will let it double tap pets from 875HP to dead (Stun + 350 + 525) without letting your opponent act. That HP threshold is a real game changer, because suddenly you have to play around the fact that any pet under 875HP facing the whelpling is as good as dead. To put it another way, your pets 'die' at 875 HP instead of 0 HP.

There are practically no other pets with so much control and damage in one package, and if that wasn't enough it has Lift-Off as well which at 325 speed it can make good use of as a juke/evasion move. Very scary pet to deal with at the late stages of a match, especially if you're swap happy and have a lineup of half-dead pets.

Sile9
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Sile9 » March 6th, 2015, 1:54 am

Teroclaw Hatchling. Evasion and healing can ensure lengthy use of Flying. Elemental conversion counters most Mechs and removes Magic weakness. Even on such a slow Flying pet Alpha Strike is always a viable option due to backrow healing although you could opt for the always-handy Claw instead.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » March 6th, 2015, 2:05 am

Tie between [pet]Elekk Plushie[/pet] and the upcomming [pet]Graves[/pet]...

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 6th, 2015, 5:22 am

Absolutely pleased with [pet]Servant of Demidos[/pet], though of late I keep using [pet]Fragment of Anger[/pet] more and more. Spiritfire Beam is a killer move on an opening pet.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » March 6th, 2015, 7:29 am

Ore Eater. Hands down. 341 speed. Reduces over 200 damage per attack. Has a dot and humanoid racial, so he heals in the back row. Can go toe to toe with most anything, and absolutely destroys elementals and dragons

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » March 6th, 2015, 7:48 am

Skavenged wrote:Ore Eater. Hands down. 341 speed. Reduces over 200 damage per attack. Has a dot and humanoid racial, so he heals in the back row. Can go toe to toe with most anything, and absolutely destroys elementals and dragons
Hrm, thats actually a pretty good reason for using the slot 1 dot.

Vapid
Pet Score:4400
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Vapid » March 6th, 2015, 10:12 am

I personally modified one of Disco teams with an:
S/S Ore Eater
H/H Ghastly Kid
S/S Bronze Whelpling

Should come as no surprise that probably the two best pets in WoD (Whelp and OE) combine for an extremely potent combination. Though I agree when Graves appears it will be extremely powerful either in the aforementioned team as a replacement for the Kid or anyone with a Murkalot will have joyous celebration.

But to answer the OP it is currently a tie between the Bronze Whelpling and Ore Eater.

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » March 6th, 2015, 11:39 am

I also pair my Ore Eater with the Ghastly Kid. Third pet varies depending on what I'm seeing a lot of. Ghastly Kid deserves an honorable mention in this category. He's not the overwhelming superstar like the ore eater or whelp, but he's a great auxiliary to a whole lot of teams

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » March 6th, 2015, 1:22 pm

I haven't done much outside of tamers or menagerie. For battling, I've got lots of fun with my PP Starlette. For the looks, it's Sentinel's Companion, because I'm into nightelfish style and I've got a spirit beast that looks the same.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » March 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Teroclaw Hatchling possibly. But there are many strong WoD pets.

Vipers
Pet Score:3725
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Vipers » March 6th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Salus wrote:what new (post-WoD release) battle pet people are finding they use the most?
Nexus Whelpling P/P

Yeah, I know it wasn't released with wod, but since they got rid of the retarded hit thing it changed this pet so much, it feels like a brand new one to me.
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » March 7th, 2015, 5:36 am

Hiya
I have a p/p and an s/s ore eater. In PvP, I often like the p/p along with a Dazzling dance pet ..these pets can often Flurry undead and the Ore eater's extra power goes a long way...the p/b Alpine Foxling is my favorite.

I like the Sister of temptation...p/b or s/b..either do fine..it has a great skill set with group healing/stun and strong vs humanoid attacks..very useful and tanky

Celya
Top Rater
Pet Score:4103
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Celya » March 7th, 2015, 7:36 am

Salus wrote: I'm curious what new (post-WoD release) battle pet people are finding they use the most?
Oh... so... many... answers. I really like most of the pets already listed here: I have a S/B and P/P Ore Eater, both of whom can be very strong for reasons already stated; the S/S Bronze Whelpling is such a durable sweeper with the stun and the avoid; the Teroclaw Hatchling just keeps on living on; the Servant of Demidos often stuns and kills pets before your opponent has time to blink; and my S/B Sister of Temptation is surprisingly tanky for a lady in such skimpy clothing.

However, of the pets no one mentioned yet, for me it's a tie between the Lovebird Hatchling and the Frostwolf Ghostpup. The Hatchling has a stun, and with 325 speed can often make use of the extra damage attack in slot 1, and Predatory Strike has won me a couple of close pvp battles lately. The Ghostpup has a nice AoE heal, a spammable attack which is strong against Undead which you see so many of in the pvp queue, and a nice nuke for when you really need it.

This is mostly for pvp purposes though. For carrying pets against the trainers, I just use the setups I had prior to WoD, since, you know, why change something that works?

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » March 7th, 2015, 1:27 pm

Son of Sethe is a great tank, with 3 self heals attacks, and the undead racial it taks some hits to kill him.

Skavenged

Post by Skavenged » March 10th, 2015, 8:40 am

Got a new pet two days ago, and it definitely deserves a mention here!!

The H/H Bone Serpent is an absolute beast in PvP. 1600+ health, 309 power, and he's carrying a barrage and two nukes (including a weather change). Decoy, bubble, and single hit evasion abilities are ineffective against him, and he absolutely decimates dragons, humans, and his archenemy aquatics. Obviously he's slow, but thanks to undead racial, its not a problem. The only problem is that his move set causes an eventual lockout with all attacks on CD. Not really an issue if you pair him with a decent tank pet for the stall.

Unfortunately, he's kind of difficult to get since you need lucky RNG. First you've got to have the traveling tamer or know someone who does. Then you have to be lucky enough to get a pet in your bag. Then you have to get lucky on WHICH pet. And then you have to get lucky on breed

Blixtiya
Pet Score:10423
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Blixtiya » March 10th, 2015, 11:05 am

P/P Axebeak Hatchling, Servant of Demidos and s/s bronze whelp has impressed me greatly