Powerleveling in Garrison post 6.1 (Squirt strat inside)

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us
Powerleveling in Garrison post 6.1 (Squirt strat inside)

Post by Moonie1 » February 27th, 2015, 10:57 pm

Its not all Doom and Gloom post-patch. From the research I did on the PTR, the xps were nerfed on the "post" battles. They are not nerfed on clicking on the trainer or pet itself ones. What that means is that while the days of powerleveling in the Garrison are just about over... Its not COMPLETELY over.

When I did my testing, there was one battle that still produced a significant amount of xps compared to the others in the Garrison as a result of the changes to the post and not the trainers. Since Squirt does not have a post and has 3 pets instead of 1 like The Beakinator or Eleanor (and Quintessence), a win awarded an unmodified (no hat/treats) 2850 xp to a level 12 pet. Eleanor and Beakinator only produced 224 xps on level 23 pets. Since I didnt test Quintessence I cant comment on how much she awards.

So if you do not mind the less xps than say a Pandarian trainer, but do like the comfort of sitting in your Garrison and not having to move much, you will still be able to powerlevel (albeit at a lower rate) on those 2 days.

And something else to consider: On live, I was able to join a party (use group finder, look for "pet daily") with someone that had a Pet Menagerie in their Garrison, view their Garrison and then do the pet battle on my under 100 toon. This not only allowed me to powerlevel but also awarded my toon xps with each win. I did not test this on the PTR, but it could still be possible (update March 5th... I am getting 11300 xps with no buffs/heirlooms per fight at level 99). That might make it worth powerleveling on Squirt day.

Update March 20th: I just tested experience gains for winning on a level 94 toon with the new upgraded heirlooms. Without the heirlooms on, I get 12960 xps for a win, with +50% worth of heirlooms I get 18360 xps per win. So if you are going to level your toon at the same time as powerleveling on this day, put those heirlooms on! (p.s. If you are hurting on gold, you can always just buy the cloth ones and upgrade those, any toon can wear cloth).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWERLEVEL PART! :)

March 5th, 2015. Squirt's fight is today.
I got 2760 xps on a unbuffed level 15 pet for the fight.
I got 3441 xps on a fully buffed level 22 pet. (+10%, +25% and +50% buffs)

I messed around with teams today ended up with this powerlevel team. It won in 11 rounds in most cases. I never lost one, but I guess it is possible with a string of bad crits or misses.

Yu'la, Broodling of Yu'lon* (P/S 1 2 1)
Ghostly Skull (H/P 1 1 2)
Powerlevel Pet (300+ hp)
* substitutions at bottom of post

vs. Deebs: TAIL SWEEP til Deebs is dead (always takes 4)
vs. Tyri: LIFT-OFF, then bring/swap in Ghostly Skull, use GHOSTLY BITE if Tyri is under 975 life, otherwise use SHADOW SLASH.
vs. Puzzle: Swap to Powerlevel Pet, swap to Ghostly Skull, then spam SHADOW SLASH til Puzzle dies.

Your powerlevel pet will take around 172 damage if Tyri dies to the Ghostly Bite in round 7.

The typical fight goes like this:
Round 1: Breath hits
Round 2: Breath hits
Round 3: Breath hits
Round 4: Breath hits (Deebs dies)
Round 5: Lift-Off starts
Round 6: Lift-Off lands (Yu'la dies, Ghostly Skull comes in)
Round 7: Ghostly Bite hits (Tyri dies)
Round 8: switch to Powerlevel pet
Round 9: switch to Ghostly Skull
Round 10: Shadow Slash hits
Round 11: Ghostly Bite hits (Puzzle dies)

Substitutions:
There are two other Dragonlings that can be substituted for Yu'la. I chose Yu'la for two reasons, first it has the highest power, second, cause I want to get some use out of those 4 pets that took so many weeks to get!
1.) Wild Crimson Hatchling (easy to get, only comes in the S/S breed)
2.) Albino Chimaeraling (use the P/S breed, it hits harder than the Wild Crimson Hatchling but has a wider damage spread, can buy out of AH, use Shadowflame instead of Breath)

There is no reason not to use Ghostly Skull. Its a vendor sold pet, easier to get than any other choices.
Last edited by Moonie1 on March 20th, 2015, 5:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Powerleveling in Garrison still possible post 6.1

Post by Jerebear » February 28th, 2015, 12:27 am

Just some info:
Quintessence, Stitches Jr, Beakinator, and Eleanor all produce the same amount of EXP. While I didn't use a reliable 2 pet strat for all of them, I was able to get buy using high level carry pets to "finish" them off.

Squirt's EXP bonus is the same as a Cata/Wrath tamer (3x more EXP than a wild battle) as a point of reference.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » February 28th, 2015, 1:08 am

Yeah not sure why I brainfarted and thought Quint was 3 pets. Will edit the OP.

Alesis
Pet Score:2472
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Alesis » March 1st, 2015, 11:01 am

Hmmm

Using a lvl 90-99 toon with the new upgraded heirlooms + xp potion on one of those days could actually be pretty worthwhile for powerleveling alts super-fast, even if the pet xp isn't what it used to be.

Assuming of course that you're just sick to death of the questing, since its already easy to lvl to 100.

I'll test this out next time Squirt is up.

Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Cyberninja » March 1st, 2015, 11:39 am

I'm not sure where you are getting your info for this. I just battled Quintessence TWICE with 2 carry pets and got almost no XP.
Pet 1: level 23: XP gained: 25
Pet 2: level 12: XP gained: 42
So where are you guys coming up with over 2K XP for "non-post" battles?

And I had the hat on...

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 1st, 2015, 1:18 pm

Alesis wrote:Hmmm

Using a lvl 90-99 toon with the new upgraded heirlooms + xp potion on one of those days could actually be pretty worthwhile for powerleveling alts super-fast, even if the pet xp isn't what it used to be.

Assuming of course that you're just sick to death of the questing, since its already easy to lvl to 100.

Yeah I think it would definitely be worth it if you can powerlevel a toon and pets at the same time and dont mind sitting in your garrison (watch tv/movie) at the slightly reduced amount.
Cyberninja wrote:I'm not sure where you are getting your info for this. I just battled Quintessence TWICE with 2 carry pets and got almost no XP.
Pet 1: level 23: XP gained: 25
Pet 2: level 12: XP gained: 42
So where are you guys coming up with over 2K XP for "non-post" battles?

And I had the hat on...
The info posted is correct. Squirt is the one you want to powerlevel on, not Quintessence. Sometimes you have to read the whole post/thread. :)

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 1st, 2015, 1:57 pm

Actually, if quintessence is now giving the values they specified, that may mean that squirt got nerfed too. The values posted in their thread post are consistent with the normal "post tamer" battle nerfs (1/10'th that of an equivalent wild battle).

Cyberninja,
Be aware than when it was tested on the PTR, The single pet battles and the squirt battle were giving non nerfed EXP values (granted the single pet battles gave paltry EXP to begin with). It is possible the live patch extended the nerf past what was on the PTR.

Moonie, did you test Squirt live? I did not. On the PTR he gave correct EXP, but I haven't tested on live.

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » March 1st, 2015, 3:07 pm

I had a carry pet while i fought the traveling trainer and got about 5500~ exp, so thats something.

Angelwings626
MVP
Pet Score:12264
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Angelwings626 » March 1st, 2015, 3:42 pm

Hihi All! I had briefly skimmed this and was wondering about the not getting exp part. Are you guys battle for at least 1.25 minutes (1 minute and 15 seconds). I was just wondering. If not , would you mind trying again passing that time? I have found that defeating a pet battle before this time does not award exp. Was curious if this was the case here.

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 2nd, 2015, 9:53 am

Jerebear wrote:Actually, if quintessence is now giving the values they specified, that may mean that squirt got nerfed too. The values posted in their thread post are consistent with the normal "post tamer" battle nerfs (1/10'th that of an equivalent wild battle).

Cyberninja,
Be aware than when it was tested on the PTR, The single pet battles and the squirt battle were giving non nerfed EXP values (granted the single pet battles gave paltry EXP to begin with). It is possible the live patch extended the nerf past what was on the PTR.

Moonie, did you test Squirt live? I did not. On the PTR he gave correct EXP, but I haven't tested on live.
Yeah Jerebear, I tested powerleveling from Bling to Beakinator on the PTR. Squirt was in the range. So if it wasnt nerfed (again) then Squirt should still be handing out the xps I reported. The xps awarded on the PTR was the exact same as the Live the day I tested it. My level 12 pet got 2850 xps on PTR & Live from Squirt.
Topaz wrote:I had a carry pet while i fought the traveling trainer and got about 5500~ exp, so thats something.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that as well Topaz, I got 3825 xps from powerleveling off Moon, Mouthy & Carl on the PTR with a level 20 pet and so far ive got 4410 xps with a level 19 pet off Nicodemus, Brisby & Jenner and 3675 xps with a level 21 pet off Sprouts, Prince Charming & Runts on live. I also noticed you CANNOT re-fight them once you win. You also CANNOT abandon the quest to try and get another round in that way. They are nice xps for a 1 shot deal when they are up.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 2nd, 2015, 1:29 pm

Moonie1 wrote: Yeah Jerebear, I tested powerleveling from Bling to Beakinator on the PTR. Squirt was in the range. So if it wasnt nerfed (again) then Squirt should still be handing out the xps I reported. The xps awarded on the PTR was the exact same as the Live the day I tested it. My level 12 pet got 2850 xps on PTR & Live from Squirt.
I was curious because I only tested Squirt on PTR and not live. Good to know you tested it on Live too. I did test the single pets (Beakinator, Eleanor, Quintessence, Stitches Jr) and they gave proper EXP on PTR but are now giving nerfed EXP on live. I'll be curious to see if Squirt remains with proper EXP or if they nerfed him with the 6.1 patch.

Moonie1
Top Rater

Post by Moonie1 » March 2nd, 2015, 2:11 pm

Yeah I made sure to use the exact same powerlevel pet each day on both live and ptr in order to keep the data consistant. If a pet gained more or less on one server versus the other, I switched to a different powerlevel pet the next day since the xp totals would be slightly off on the previous days pet. So far all the battles I tested on PTR have been awarding the same results on Live for me. Im optimistic about Squirt. :) Hopefully Blizzard leaves us lazy levelers one little crumb!

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » March 2nd, 2015, 3:51 pm

Alesis wrote:Hmmm

Heirlooms never worked on increasing pet battling XP, I tried almost everything in the last expansion and basically only the guild battle standard and holiday buff (like darkmoon, brewfest, ect) worked.

Unless they have changed this but I seriously doubt it.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » March 2nd, 2015, 3:53 pm

Talk about the glory days of power level your toon by using pet battling,

anyone still remember that week people were looking for rats to kill in Stormwind all over the place?

good old days.

Shingetsu
Pet Score:4288
Realm:Mal'Ganis-eu

Post by Shingetsu » March 4th, 2015, 11:12 am

Sadly the Quintessence of Light doesn't work.
At least my carry pet got ~30ish exp yesterday :/

-- Edit:
Just tried "Stitches Jr." without wearing the hat my lv 22 carry pet got +248 exp.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » March 4th, 2015, 6:27 pm

Shingetsu wrote:Sadly the Quintessence of Light doesn't work.
At least my carry pet got ~30ish exp yesterday :/

-- Edit:
Just tried "Stitches Jr." without wearing the hat my lv 22 carry pet got +248 exp.
Stitches Jr is consistent with "No Nerf" then as that is the expected EXP versus a level 25 tamerless single pet.

Gilraen
Pet Score:8027
Realm:Hydraxis-us

Post by Gilraen » March 5th, 2015, 6:33 am

I can confirm with Squirt in the garrison today - you CAN still power level pets with her. I tossed in a lvl 12 pet, and it got 3119 XP and went to level 15 (this is with safari hat).

Steamanubis
Pet Score:2372
BattleTag®:steamknight#1987
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Steamanubis » March 5th, 2015, 9:27 am

Gilraen wrote:I can confirm with Squirt in the garrison today - you CAN still power level pets with her. I tossed in a lvl 12 pet, and it got 3119 XP and went to level 15 (this is with safari hat).
Shh, keep your voice down! You don't want the Nerf Hammer coming down on Squirt, do you? :P

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » March 5th, 2015, 10:21 am

Steamanubis wrote:
Gilraen wrote:I can confirm with Squirt in the garrison today - you CAN still power level pets with her. I tossed in a lvl 12 pet, and it got 3119 XP and went to level 15 (this is with safari hat).
Shh, keep your voice down! You don't want the Nerf Hammer coming down on Squirt, do you? :P
I started a thread for Squirt power level strategies then I read this. Zapped it.

Kinda want to get some last minute power levels in. I got 2888k but it was a level 16 pet.

Steamanubis
Pet Score:2372
BattleTag®:steamknight#1987
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Steamanubis » March 5th, 2015, 11:28 am

Abbotta wrote:I started a thread for Squirt power level strategies then I read this. Zapped it.

Kinda want to get some last minute power levels in. I got 2888k but it was a level 16 pet.
I was half joking, as I'm not sure how many Blizzard folks read these threads. But yeah, best to get your powerleveling in now before the next hotfix.