Question about what pet you use the ultimate battle stone on

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Kayln
Pet Score:1577
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us
Question about what pet you use the ultimate battle stone on

Post by Kayln » February 27th, 2015, 7:07 pm

I am just really getting into pet battles and I got the ultimate battle stone from the garrison quest. I don't know who to use it on. My main team is a Nether Faerie Dragon and a Cinder Kitten. I have rotating the 3rd slot.

So what pet would make the most sense to use the stone one?

Thanks for the help!!

Taleranor
Pet Score:11827
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Re: Question about what pet you use the ultimate battle ston

Post by Taleranor » February 27th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Of those two, I'd say the Nether Faerie Dragon is a stronger all-around choice. Though depending on what levels your pets already are, it might be more prudent to use the stone on a level 1 pet. And I know there are many opinions over what's most useful, utility-wise.

Kayln

Post by Kayln » February 27th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Yeah I was thinking of what a good third for that team. should I go mechanical or something else. So many choices. So confusing

Jesjbrown
MVP
Pet Score:4219
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Jesjbrown » February 27th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Since you already favor a dragonkin and an elemental, you might consider just choosing a rare quality pet of a different family that you like looking at. I'm sure deciding seems overwhelming, but pet leveling / battling / collecting should be something to enjoy.

So in my opinion I'd pick one that you're fond of. You'll be happier playing the PVE pet content if you're doing it with pets you love.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 27th, 2015, 8:45 pm

Kayln wrote:Yeah I was thinking of what a good third for that team. should I go mechanical or something else. So many choices. So confusing
Mechanicals are quite good for beginning teams due to their racial, which gives them a little more longevity, as well as their attacks being strong against Beasts.

Some good choices which are fairly easy to get would be: Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling/Darkmoon Zeppelin, Lil' Bling, Darkmoon Tonk.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » February 27th, 2015, 9:10 pm

I'm not sure if your profile is out of date or not but it shows you as having no lvl 25 pets yet. If that is the case I'd recommend a durable pet for your stone. An Anubisath Idol or Emerald Proto-whelping spring to mind as good options. This combination of two pets can carry a pet for exp for pretty much all the MoP tamers which is a great way to level pets. A good beast with devour or similar is good too. Any variety of cat works and can be great for power leveling pets on wild critters.

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » February 27th, 2015, 9:58 pm

There are two approaches that I would recommend:
1) Save it! I would use this stone when I know more about pet battles. Knowledge is power. At some point you might think 'I wish a had this pet at level 25'.
2) Aim for efficiency. You could use it on a Zandalari Anklerender, Panther Cub, Darkmoon Cub, Snow Cub. You can then go to MoP Valley of the Four Winds to power level other pets.
You will miss content, and miss out on some fun experiences.

I personally would choose the first option. But both approaches have advantages.

Note: I would recommend a rare/blue Infected Squirrel for your team. They can be found in Eastern Plaguelands. It is a very useful pet for many trainer fights, and it has great synergy with the Nether Faerie Dragon.
I however would not use a stone on it.

Kayln

Post by Kayln » February 27th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I don't have a 25 yet. Hence why I keep thinking I should use this stone to up out with getting through content. Having problems with the Outland trainers right now.

I will look for an infected squirrel, heck I might have one

Taleranor
Pet Score:11827
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Taleranor » February 28th, 2015, 4:13 am

I second the suggestion to pick up a Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling and/or a Darkmoon Zeppelin. The first is easy if you know an engineer, the second can be earned with Darkmoon tokens or found in the Auction House. They come in handy and really do wonders against beasts.

Malekith
Pet Score:4448
Realm:Los Errantes-eu

Post by Malekith » February 28th, 2015, 4:59 am

I used the Ultimate Battle-Training Stone in a [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] that I had at level 3

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » February 28th, 2015, 9:35 am

For someone looking for their very first level 25 pet, I think this has a very simple answer. The Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling. They're very cheap to get. Their speed makes them faster than pretty much any wild pets you may face. They have the bonus of mechanical racial for close fights. They have an avoidance that makes any level carry pet survivable. They have one of the strongest AOE attacks in the game. Most importantly, they are used in many of the top end strategies that you will face once you have a decent stable of level 25's, which means you aren't leveling a pet that will be useless later

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » February 28th, 2015, 10:19 am

Malekith wrote:I used the Ultimate Battle-Training Stone in a [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] that I had at level 3
No offense, but Lil Rags is not good advice for someone asking about their first level 25. He is a hard hitter and a great pet for PvP, but in wild battles he is very weak, since the majority of wild pets are critters. They are immune to his stun, take reduced damage from ALL of his attacks, and even mediocre pets are likely to be faster. Even worse... snails, otters, striders etc will totally ruin his day

Vipers
Pet Score:3725
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Vipers » February 28th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Kayln wrote:I am just really getting into pet battles
what pet would make the most sense to use the stone one?
Awq wrote:1) Save it! I would use this stone when I know more about pet battles. Knowledge is power. At some point you might think 'I wish a had this pet at level 25'.
Awq said exactly what I was thinking. Although, I don't think everyone should save their stones, because once you gather enough knowledge about pet battles, leveling up becomes the easiest part of the process, and having an insta 25 at any moment could be real handy, especially when you start looking at different breeds.

If you really want to use it though, I would say you should use on something resilient, useful for other things other than just wild battles, and also who needs little help from the rest of your pets to kill whatever team you are fighting against. The options I can think of from the top of my head would be:

Feline Familiar (?,1,1)
Anubisath Idol (1,2,2)
Emerald Proto-Whelp P/P (2,2,2)
Emperor Crab P/P (1,1,1)
(to a lesser extent)

Any of those 4 is capable of killing infinite amounts of wild pets at max lvl, without the assistance of healing/bandages, and they will help you significantly to increase the number of pets lvl 25 at your disposal.

Variety is more important than having one strong pet or a team of strong pets for anyone who is just starting. When I say strong pets I am referring to pets like: lil'ragnaros, zandalari raptors, lil'bling, and so on. You would be surprised by how much more useful a rare spider from krasarang, or a rabbit from kun lai can be when compared to a shinier and prettier thing, such as celestial dragon, unborn val'kyr, or stormwing.

Also, remember that you can buy Feline Familiar and Anubisath Idol at lvl 25 from the auction house, once you got yourself at least one pet at max lvl. Emerald Proto-Whelps can be captured at lvl 21 already(19 after the 2 lvl drop), and so can Emperor Crabs at lvl 24~25 (22~23 after capturing).
Last edited by Vipers on March 12th, 2015, 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
What do you do with a pen that only works 90% of the time?

Kayln

Post by Kayln » February 28th, 2015, 12:39 pm

Skavenged wrote:
Malekith wrote:I used the Ultimate Battle-Training Stone in a [pet]Lil' Ragnaros[/pet] that I had at level 3
No offense, but Lil Rags is not good advice for someone asking about their first level 25. He is a hard hitter and a great pet for PvP, but in wild battles he is very weak, since the majority of wild pets are critters. They are immune to his stun, take reduced damage from ALL of his attacks, and even mediocre pets are likely to be faster. Even worse... snails, otters, striders etc will totally ruin his day
Wish I had seen this last night. I did use it on lil ragnaros yesterday. I will get the one you mentioned in a previous post and work on getting it leveled.

And thank you Vipers. A lot of good info there. I keep focusing on the trainers and not leveling a full stable up so I am now having some problems. So changed plan and trying to get some of the pets mentioned here and level them up. About to go on the hunt for the emerald proto drake