Wolpertinger help.

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Zaryna
Top Rater
Pet Score:2357
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us
Wolpertinger help.

Post by Zaryna » February 16th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Hey folks. Huge lurker, but I have been beating my head against the wall to figure this one out and hope you can help. I bought a Wolpertinger off of the AH and gave it to someone and they can't add it to their collection. They don't already have it, so what am I missing? Never ran into this before.

Thanks in advance!
Z.

Taerie
Pet Score:4641
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Re: Wolpertinger help.

Post by Taerie » February 16th, 2015, 10:49 pm

That's odd. If they don't already have it then it can't be because they already have the max number allowed... the only other thing I can think of is did you buy them a lvl 25? If they don't have a level 25 pet of their own already then they wouldn't be able to uncage what you bought them.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 17th, 2015, 4:18 am

The Wolpertinger have been sold by a (world event) vendor for 50s the last 5-6 years... Why buy it from AH?

Jesjbrown
MVP
Pet Score:4219
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Jesjbrown » February 17th, 2015, 8:31 am

Taerie wrote:That's odd. If they don't already have it then it can't be because they already have the max number allowed... the only other thing I can think of is did you buy them a lvl 25? If they don't have a level 25 pet of their own already then they wouldn't be able to uncage what you bought them.
Even if it's just a level 2 pet, if they haven't leveled any pets to whatever level it is, they can't learn it. Happened when my husband got a gifted level 4 pet. (I did a few pet battles for him so he could learn it).

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » February 17th, 2015, 1:20 pm

FuxieDK wrote:The Wolpertinger have been sold by a (world event) vendor for 50s the last 5-6 years... Why buy it from AH?
This pet is only available during the Brewfest event. While you can wait till it is offered again, it would be 7 months or so before you can get it. It's probably pretty cheap on AH though, since people acquire them every year and flood the AH with them. I myself have 3 or 4 on an alt not being used.

As for not adding the pet to a collection, I would say the only reason I know of is what Taerie said, if the pet level is higher than your current collection highest pet you can't add the new pet. Either pick up a level 1 or wait till they have earned an equivalent level pet in their collection. (PS if you want a level 1 I can give you one, just let me know)
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 18th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Morlis wrote:
FuxieDK wrote:The Wolpertinger have been sold by a (world event) vendor for 50s the last 5-6 years... Why buy it from AH?
This pet is only available during the Brewfest event. While you can wait till it is offered again, it would be 7 months or so before you can get it. It's probably pretty cheap on AH though, since people acquire them every year and flood the AH with them. I myself have 3 or 4 on an alt not being used.
Yeah, but one would think, that semi-serious pet collectors had obtained the Wolpertinger years ago, since it's so easily available (two weeks a year)..

Sabriena
Pet Score:2866
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Sabriena » February 19th, 2015, 3:19 am

FuxieDK wrote:
Morlis wrote:
Yeah, but one would think, that semi-serious pet collectors had obtained the Wolpertinger years ago, since it's so easily available (two weeks a year)..
Eh, not everyone has started collecting pets at the same time. Maybe they're new to it so that's why they haven't gotten it yet. :D

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » February 19th, 2015, 5:06 am

FuxieDK wrote:
Morlis wrote:
They could be a new player with a new account. It might be that they are just now getting interested in pet collecting and battles. Perhaps this person didn't play years ago. Perhaps they weren't active during Brewfest. These things happen often - we didn't all start collecting pets at the same time and we didn't all start playing WoW at the same time.

As for the Wolpertinger that you kindly purchased for your friend - I'd suggest the same thing others are saying here. Maybe the Wolpertinger is higher level than the other pets their own and therefore they aren't able to learn it yet. If you need a level 1 to try I have one you are welcome to.
@TamerWakamaru

Beanie
Pet Score:3277
Realm:Stormrage-eu

Post by Beanie » February 23rd, 2015, 4:22 am

FuxieDK wrote:Yeah, but one would think, that semi-serious pet collectors had obtained the Wolpertinger years ago, since it's so easily available (two weeks a year)..
I have played since beta on and off but have only just got into battles and collecting (because of the garrison), Never heard of the Wolpertinger until the other day and saw it on the AH for a few gold so bought it as it looked unusual and didnt want to await brewfest.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » February 23rd, 2015, 3:36 pm

Yea, that. Why would you wait a whole year for a pet, when you can pick it up for next to nothing from the AH? :)

Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Noxiish » February 23rd, 2015, 4:11 pm

FuxieDK wrote:Yeah, but one would think, that semi-serious pet collectors had obtained the Wolpertinger years ago, since it's so easily available (two weeks a year)..
This is pretty cynical and rather rude, to be honest. Personally only started playing WoW at all in the past two years, and over various small breaks, have never even seen the Brewfest active. It happens. Especially when people have lives. I never picked up the Creepy Crate this past Halloween event, but I collect pets quite seriously. Old time collectors with 650+ pets are still acquiring newer type 'easy' pets all the time, evident by the wall posts on this site daily. Don't assume things about other players around the world just because you personally have accomplished it.

Zaryna
Top Rater
Pet Score:2357
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Zaryna » February 23rd, 2015, 7:35 pm

Thank you everyone for all the help and advice! I really appreciate it.

Danica, thank you especially. This is great community filled with great people.

Z.