Garrison Pet XP nerfed?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us
Garrison Pet XP nerfed?

Post by Ravnhawk » February 18th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Ok I am sure I am missing it but was reading the patch notes for 6.1 and I am not finding where it says pet XP is being nerfed.

I remember reading about it and hearing about it on the forums. Thanks! Please point me in the right direction.

Monkeykibble
Pet Score:2069
Realm:Dark Iron-us

Re: Garrison Pet XP nerfed?

Post by Monkeykibble » February 18th, 2015, 6:10 pm

Liopleurodon of battle pet round-up has a post on BlizzardWatch, and has played the PTR and the Acidtooth daily menagerie team gives a whopping 80 XP, no there wasn't a typo...just 80 >_< So if any good leveling opportunities show up before tuesday, jump on it :P

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 18th, 2015, 8:00 pm

The discussion on the PTR menagerie experience changes can be found in [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12984]this thread[/url].

Testing this out today seemed to prove what someone else speculated earlier (I can't find the post or user now, sorry!).

Only the "post" battles have nerfed experience. That is, battles with 3 pets where you must click on a wooden post in order to start the encounter have had their experience nerfed. Battles where you don't click on a wooden post (that involve a team of 3 opponents) have not been nerfed.

Examples:
  • Grubbles, Scrags, Stings = "wooden post" team; battling them with a Safari Hat on the PTR [url=https://twitter.com/perksnpeeves/status/559544425164967938]yielded 80 experience[/url] for a lvl 1 pet.
  • Squirt's team (Deebs, Tyri, and Puzzle) = not a "wooden post" team (you click on Squirt to battle instead of a post); battling them today with a Safari Hat on the PTR [url=http://i.imgur.com/CJvDA1M.png]yielded 2393 experience[/url] for a lvl 1 pet.
So it would seem not all is lost, however the number of Menagerie battles that we can use to power level on will be drastically reduced. I can't even remember if there are any other teams other than Squirt's that aren't "wooden post" teams.

Just as a disclaimer: This could just be an oversight on Blizzard's part, and experience from Squirt's team might get nerfed too. There are still six days left until patch day after all. We'll have to wait and see what happens post-6.1.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » February 18th, 2015, 8:06 pm

I believe all the singular battles are like the beasts of fable (ie: you click the "beast", be it Quintessence, Stitches, the undead goat, etc). Squirt's the only "tamer" you click on, all the other fights vs multiple opponents have the post, unfortunately.

Aenara
Pet Score:4504
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Aenara » February 18th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Thanks everyone here for the 6.1 heads-up. Over the last month I've been making use of the 2-pet strategies and caught up most my pets. :D

Still... I am sad there won't be one more Grubbles/Jahan. :cry:

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 18th, 2015, 9:37 pm

I'm curious if it is more a bug than an actual nerf. The experience gained from post initiated battles is less than that of a wild pet battle. That seems very odd. If they were to nerf it, I would have expected just dropping the tamer bonus to 1, not lower. After all, heals on the PTR were doing 40 instead of 400....so there are some bugs going around.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » February 20th, 2015, 3:53 pm

Remember years ago when they used to balance this game by tweaking things up or down by 5-10%? :roll:

Emmaleah
Pet Score:8976
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Emmaleah » February 20th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Has anyone tried tweeting to see if it is a bug? or otherwise gotten a blue answer?
That nerf just seems too severe. If it put it equal to wild battle, it would make a lot more sense.
I searched a bit on the PTR forums and didn't see it mentioned /shrug.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 21st, 2015, 12:44 am

I tweeted nite_moogle, jeremy feasel, the crafticus, and warcraftdevs. No response from any of them, but they get tons of tweets, so its expected.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Grendlyn
Pet Score:2339
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Grendlyn » February 24th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Unfortunately, the Reduced XP Nerf on Garrison Pet Battles is Live.

Just did Grubbles, Scrags, and Stings and got a whooping 93 XP

Was it really necessary to nerf pet xp? Were the current xp levels hurting anything or causing a mis-balance in any meaningful way?

Disappointed

Gilraen
Pet Score:8027
Realm:Hydraxis-us

Post by Gilraen » February 24th, 2015, 1:42 pm

Grendlyn wrote:Unfortunately, the Reduced XP Nerf on Garrison Pet Battles is Live.

Was it really necessary to nerf pet xp? Were the current xp levels hurting anything or causing a mis-balance in any meaningful way?

Disappointed

Agreed, it's ridiculous. My leveling pets are getting 68-80XP, depending on their level.

Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Noxiish » February 24th, 2015, 1:57 pm

Letting people get 20-30+ pets to lvl 25 a day was more ridiculous. Yeah the nerf is extreme, but people were taking serious advantage of it. Entirely ruins the point of making any sort of actual effort towards your collection once you have the pet if you can just insta boost them all in a day or two.

Balrizangor
MVP
Pet Score:8574
BattleTag®:Balrizangor#1255
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Balrizangor » February 24th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Grendlyn wrote:Unfortunately, the Reduced XP Nerf on Garrison Pet Battles is Live.

Disappointed

I agree completely with you, was it truly so bad that people were leveling pets on the menagerie dailies instead of running around in a circle fighting wild pets? Nothing changed the game for non-pet people or threw the game off balance. All it gave us was a good way to level pets that allowed us to level our pets without spending an overt amount of time doing it.

Worst "fix" ever Blizz, thanks ....

Noxiish wrote:Letting people get 20-30+ pets to lvl 25 a day was more ridiculous. Yeah the nerf is extreme, but people were taking serious advantage of it. Entirely ruins the point of making any sort of actual effort towards your collection once you have the pet if you can just insta boost them all in a day or two.
I don't understand how you mean it was ridiculous? Why does it matter if I could spend 1 day, every 2 weeks, leveling 20-30 pets instead of having to spend every day over 2 weeks to level those same 20-30 pets? The end result is the same, 20-30 pets leveled in 2 weeks except 1 of the ways, I can spend time doing other things in WoW over those same 2 weeks ....

Melfice
Top Rater
Pet Score:3357
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Melfice » February 24th, 2015, 2:56 pm

Noxiish wrote:Letting people get 20-30+ pets to lvl 25 a day was more ridiculous. Yeah the nerf is extreme, but people were taking serious advantage of it. Entirely ruins the point of making any sort of actual effort towards your collection once you have the pet if you can just insta boost them all in a day or two.
What Blizzard should had done was put a limit on how many times you can fight the Garrison pet battles (3 times per day). Instead of nerfing the exp.

Grendlyn
Pet Score:2339
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Grendlyn » February 24th, 2015, 4:11 pm

Thing is... the nerf pretty much only impacts 'Serious' Pet COLLECTORS and that's really all

My guess is that Serious Pet BATTLERS mostly already have their teams of Rare 25's or once they complete their teams, it will be a smaller subset of the 722 available pets and they won't go much further

It is the odd person, most likely those of us on this board, reading this post, that this nerf impacts. Why is it that I just spent 15 charms on a battle stone to Rarify my Spring Rabbit? And why would I spend time leveling that same Spring Rabbit from 1 to 25? How does a Rare 25 Spring Rabbit really unfairly benefit anyone???

I enjoy collecting Warcraft pets and want to collect as many of the 722 pets that I can and in the best breeds available, Rarify them, and level them to 25. I find building my collection fun. Honestly, I really don't enjoy leveling them and kinda dread "Jahan Day" as I know I'll be sitting in front of keyboard smashing the same buttons over and over again for as long as I can stand it (which is about 3 hours).

So what harm does that do to anyone else in game? Does that harm the PvP Pet Battler (no because they can level just as fast as I can). Does that harm "The Quester", "The Raider", "The Battleground Runner" or "I'm Gonna Kill Ya Sucker" Dude? Nah... they are probably saying, "Pet Battles???"

So I've already spent COUNTLESS hours leveling my first set of pets to 25 and many more hours on top of that Seeking out and capture my other pets. I've also spent countless hours leveling professions JUST so I can create profession specific pets. And I've spent tons more time doing Pet Battle Dailies to collect those pets and stones so I ask again, what harm does it do anyone to allow me to at least level my additional pets quickly?

Desi
Pet Score:5590
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Desi » February 24th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Grendlyn wrote:
So what harm does that do to anyone else in game? Does that harm the PvP Pet Battler (no because they can level just as fast as I can). Does that harm "The Quester", "The Raider", "The Battleground Runner" or "I'm Gonna Kill Ya Sucker" Dude? Nah... they are probably saying, "Pet Battles???"
I have to agree with you.

On 'bird' day while choosing to pl a bunch of pets, I wasn't partaking in all the other activities the game offers, so I also don't see how this adversely affected others. The amount of pet XP farmable probably wasn't intended by Blizz, but considering the large number of pets in the game, they could have just left it there for the pet enthusiasts.

Taleranor
Pet Score:11827
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Taleranor » February 24th, 2015, 4:35 pm

I'm going to miss Bird Day and its lesser friends.
Why?
Because it was a nice way to break up the monotony and speed up the pet leveling grind.
I'm one of the serious collectors, and my goal is, of course, to level up as many pets as possible.
Right now, I have 671 unique pets, of which 407 have reached max level; the other 264 range from 2 to 20 or so.
On a good day, by doing the Pandarian Trainer Tour and some of the Draenor trainers, I can level anywhere from 3-5 pets. Let's say that with the leveling stones, I can level 5 a day. That's another 53 days to finish leveling my collection, if I don't burn out and miss a day or three. That's not factoring in any other pets that I might acquire in the meantime.
So who does it hurt if I choose, once or twice every few weeks, to go nuts and powerlevel a whole bunch of pets? It gives me a much wider selection for PvP pet battling, and it makes me happy. I don't have an unfair advantage over anyone else, and it means I get to achieve my goals a little sooner.

That's what this nerf means: it's another stumbling block in my progress. It won't stop me, but it will slow me down.

And frankly, I think that nerfing it to almost no XP at all is insulting. At this point, I'd just be fighting them for more charms and leveling stones. :(

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » February 24th, 2015, 6:15 pm

I had no idea this was coming. Was saving my tokens for Bird day. I'm not happy.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » February 25th, 2015, 12:59 am

Here's what annoys me and I just got home and did my garrison battle and got my crappy experience from it.

Ok Blizzard we get it - we battle pet enthusiasts maybe took advantage of the fact that some of those daily garrison battles were quite easy and some of us took advantage of that by power leveling a slew of our battle pets. Why shouldn't we? You set it up that way. I mean I can't say I did more than 10-15 pets a night for the really good pet battle days, I know I'm not that overly compulsive but it was a nice way to powergrind a bunch of pets you knew you'd probably never actually use ever again but wanted to get to 25 just so you'd move up in rank on the WCP power listing.

Ok moving on....

Why take away all the experience? That's even worse - that's punishing everyone. Why not just setup the Garrison Pet Battle so you can only do it once a day, you get the great experience you always get and after that it's done. No more until tomorrow.

Ok rant done.