Be careful if you're Lunker fishing

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us
Be careful if you're Lunker fishing

Post by Ranok » January 8th, 2015, 2:10 am

(Disclaimer) Only someone with way too much time on their hands would even try for Land Shark by catching 50 Lunkers.

But if you're Crazy Pet Person and willing to spend dozens of hours fishing, two things to watch out for. First one, which is fortunately rare, is the Internal Bag Error. Merciful that it's rare, pisses you off bigtime when you finally snag a lunker and it can't be looted. Various bug reports on this but so far no fix.

Second, slow down. Since you're fishing thousands (!) of times, you get into a routine. Cast, hear the splash and click, cast again. For some reason the lunkers get looted more slowly than the other fish and casting again quickly means they don't loot. They just disappear. Give it half a second before next cast.

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Re: Be careful if you're Lunker fishing

Post by Wakamaru » January 8th, 2015, 3:31 am

This is great advice and a good warning for future fishers. I'm now working on my fourth lunker (sold one, traded one to Gulnarr, traded one to Kandystryper, need another for me!) and I have also run in to both of these issues. I seem to run in to the internal bag error most often when fishing near zone borders. As for the speed of lunkers being looted, I have rushed myself out of probably 5 lunkers early on by not ensuring that I looted the lunker before recasting.

Good luck fishers :) Find someone funny to talk to or a good show to watch! It's a long grind x_x
@TamerWakamaru

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 8th, 2015, 3:54 am

Good to know. I tend to click too slow (so I get no fish) rather than too fast, but yeah a few times I've clicked in anticipation and that's probably a bad habit to have in this case.

Worse yet, I'm going for 200 coins as I want the mount first, and of course the Sea Calf as well once it becomes available.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 8th, 2015, 11:37 am

Regarding the Internal Bag Error error:

"Lunkers: It's not possible to have more than 5 Lunkers. Regardless of which one you have. It creats an internal bag error." - [url=https://twitter.com/heulmal/status/551625663367495680]from Twitter[/url] (not a dev, so take this with a grain of salt)

I'm not sure the above is true, as I haven't tested it myself on live. On beta, I was able to fish up 5 lunkers of each fish, but that could have been changed since then. Just something to keep in mind if you're going on a lunker fishing-spree, I guess!

I usually don't see the error, but it pops up the most for me when I'm fishing in FFR at the pools near the alliance flight path (next to Gorgrond). A quick relog usually fixes the problem; still disappointing to lose that one lunker that was claimed by the error though. :(
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Robotusch
Pet Score:10391
BattleTag®:Roboe#2913
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Robotusch » January 8th, 2015, 3:32 pm

Ranok wrote:Second, slow down. Since you're fishing thousands (!) of times, you get into a routine. Cast, hear the splash and click, cast again. For some reason the lunkers get looted more slowly than the other fish and casting again quickly means they don't loot. They just disappear. Give it half a second before next cast.
This needs to be highlighted repeatedly. When I was farming fishing books for my alt (by spawning & killing Karkanos), I must have lost 2 or 3 tiny goldfishes, due to muscle memory more or less immediately recasting fishing. Thankfully, it was duplicates of those I already had, but still...

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » January 8th, 2015, 6:04 pm

Quintessence wrote:Regarding the Internal Bag Error error:

"Lunkers: It's not possible to have more than 5 Lunkers. Regardless of which one you have. It creats an internal bag error." - [url=https://twitter.com/heulmal/status/551625663367495680]from Twitter[/url] (not a dev, so take this with a grain of salt)

I'm not sure the above is true, as I haven't tested it myself on live. On beta, I was able to fish up 5 lunkers of each fish, but that could have been changed since then. Just something to keep in mind if you're going on a lunker fishing-spree, I guess!

I usually don't see the error, but it pops up the most for me when I'm fishing in FFR at the pools near the alliance flight path (next to Gorgrond). A quick relog usually fixes the problem; still disappointing to lose that one lunker that was claimed by the error though. :(
I often fish lunkers in multiple zones before I go and turn them in. Just last night when I went to turn everything in I had 5 Blind Lake Sturgeon Lunkers and 5 Backwater Whiptail Lunkers - so I can confirm that this isn't true. However it could possible that having more than 5 lunkers with multiple types increases the likelihood of receiving the error. I've never really paid enough attention to notice if that were the case.
@TamerWakamaru

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 9th, 2015, 12:16 am

Quintessence wrote:Regarding the Internal Bag Error error:

"Lunkers: It's not possible to have more than 5 Lunkers. Regardless of which one you have. It creats an internal bag error." - from Twitter (not a dev, so take this with a grain of salt)

I tossed this out on twitter, but my first two lunker drops ever became internal bag errors. I didn't have any at the time. So while I won't say what they said is untrue (no clue), there are definitely other causes.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Beave
Pet Score:4259
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Beave » January 9th, 2015, 10:13 am

Observation I wanted to share on Lunker fishing....

I seem to catch about 1 every 100 casts or more when my fishing is sub-1100. When I get it up to about 1120 or higher, the catch rate seems to jump up a good bit. The temporary +100 pole and hat, plus a worm supreme, plus the glove enchant and my boots of the bay, when they're all working together my catch rate seems to be better. I haven't been able to get it over 1300 yet by getting a friend to hit me with a fragrant pheromone fish, but I will at some point. Plus the Spear.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » January 9th, 2015, 9:36 pm

Just a service announcement for those who dread this grind.. If you check the undermine journal site often enough you can get lucky with a deal, even on a pet like this.

I paid 5k for mine today. I hope it wasn't an AH typo for the seller. I've lost gold this way as I'm sure many of you have. To pick one up for 15k would be worth the price in my opinion. I will fish to upgrade the shack a bit ..but fishing on TUJ can be easier if anyone has a couple of worthy pets to flip for buyer gold on a seperate realm.

All my respect to grinders, friendly fishers(something i did a lot b4 my pet craze) and best of luck to all

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » January 10th, 2015, 5:56 pm

I fished up the 50 Lunkers and have 4-5 coins toward the mount already. I never got a bag error, and I've had 13 Lunkers in my bags at one time (always the backpack).

I didn't think the grind was that bad (and I plan to fish 100 more for the mount now). The sad part in my opinion is that I cooked all that fish (1200+feasts and not sure how many high lvl food with the skill up [as I gave most of those away]) and no Lil' Leftovers.

I'm hoping by the time I get the mount I have Lil' Leftovers too. /fingers crossed

Annieb
Pet Score:13861
Realm:Arathor-eu

Post by Annieb » January 11th, 2015, 7:07 am

I also got stung *twice* by the 'slow looting/disappearing' lunker bug. I shift click loot + cast and have gotten bit twice. :(

I also agree that the drop rate on lil'leftovers is monstrous. I've yet to see one and I've done zillions of WoD feast combines.

Troo
Pet Score:5392
BattleTag®:Troo#1261
Realm:Undermine-us

Post by Troo » January 12th, 2015, 6:18 am

I have lost a lunker to the Internal Bag Error myself. I had no other lunkers in my bags at the time, but I was at the tiny pool at the NW section of Shadowmoon, near the border. I sent in a ticket and Blizz just said, "Sorry! That's a nasty bug. We're working on it. Good luck out there!"

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 12th, 2015, 1:30 pm

So that's what happened to the one I knew I caught.

I thought I was dreaming. I do tend to sleep-fish from time to time. Very surreal to wake up to 200 fish in your bags you don't remember fishing.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Faltorvo
Pet Score:579
Realm:Misha-us

Post by Faltorvo » January 13th, 2015, 12:51 pm

I can confirm for an absolute fact that you can catch lunkers and not have them show up in your bags and I am NOT talking about the 5 limit part of it.

IDK why it happens , it just does

I have caught but not looted at least 4 lunkers for fact.

Jackthelad
Pet Score:3014
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Jackthelad » February 19th, 2015, 6:27 pm

If still wonder the bag still exists ::(
Fish today for Blackwater Lunker and got it.
I dunno what to do, keep farming or wait till it get fixed.

Amonhotep
Pet Score:1853
Realm:Frostmourne-us

Post by Amonhotep » February 19th, 2015, 6:52 pm

A blue poster in the official forums posted what the bug seems to be caused by. Its if you stand near a transition between little blocks of sectors in e.,g. nagrand. if you aren't near a transition where words come up updating your location the lunker problem won't happen. e.g. in the main horde base in nagrand with the main wharf, fishing from the wharf is very likely to have an internal bag error. but walk 10 s up the road to the entrance of the base and fish from there, no issues. That's why you might find a spot in game where the lunker problem never happens.

Jackthelad
Pet Score:3014
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Jackthelad » February 19th, 2015, 7:26 pm

I have been fishing at Talador at phase-less area (the south island of the lake near the bounty quest Riverbeast).
I haven't use water walking and simply stand still.
Btw, after the bag i'm on 233 casts and no 2nd lunker 0_o".

Jesjbrown
MVP
Pet Score:4219
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Jesjbrown » February 19th, 2015, 7:27 pm

I got the internal bag error message for a lunker once, put in a ticket, and it was taken care of in less than a day. Got my lunker and two more as an apology for the error.

Edit: I also took auto loot off my fishing buddy add on. Haven't had an error since.

Caega
Pet Score:5857
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Caega » February 19th, 2015, 9:26 pm

I've got "`" mapped to Interact with MouseOver and "1" mapped to Fishing. The keys are right next to each other and I can hit them really quick.

With autoloot on, occationally I would see the loot window come up but I didn't get any loot because I recasted too quickly. I got into the habbit of waiting for the loot window to close before recasting and I don't lose any loot that way. How quickly the loot window close depends on lag and the number of items being looted.

With the above key mappings, this is my fishing subroutine:

10 Press "1"
20 Move mouse pointer over bobber
30 Wait for bobber move/sound
40 Press "`"
50 Wait for loot window to close
60 Goto 10

Caega
Pet Score:5857
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Caega » February 19th, 2015, 9:50 pm