Share pet collecting news and advice.
Iskander
Top Rater
Pet Score:9434
BattleTag®:EpicIsky#2720
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Battle-Stones and collecting

Post by Iskander » February 12th, 2015, 10:25 am

I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this topic, feel free to move it when needed.

I have neglected my pet collection for a while, and recently I restarted it. During MOP I guess I was lucky with battle-stones, once getting three Flawless ones in just two hours of pet battling. Occasionally I got a stone in a bag reward as well, lets say in total around 15 stones.

Now I have been doing pet battles to level all my pets, and of course, I would like to have them all as rares. Some can't be obtained as rare pets so we need stones to upgrade them. I noticed that for the past weeks, doing several daily quests, battling for hours in the wild (around 30 hours of pet battles, give or take a few) I haven't seen a single stone besides the ones on the AH or the ones you can buy with charms.
Is it just my really bad luck, or did something change about the battle-stones? If so, how is the best way to get them these days?

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Re: Battle-Stones and collecting

Post by Buruan » February 12th, 2015, 10:30 am

If you have a level 100 - get the Menagerie unlocked in your Garrison the vendor there sells battle stones.
Doing the daily in the menagerie yields 8-10 Pet Charms, doing the dailies in Draenor yields 24 (6X4), between these two you are guaranteed 2 Battle Stones.
That is afaik the best current method.

Additional alts can complete the Garrison daily, but not he Tamer dailies.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » February 12th, 2015, 10:35 am

Best way to obtain them is with your WoD Daily pet tamers and your garrions dailies.

Garrison Daily - 8 Pet Charms.
WoD Pet Tamers 4 Pet charms each x 6 WoD Tamers = 24 Pet Charms.

So that is 2 Battle Stones a day there.

I like using the filter function here at Warcraftpets.com to determine which pets to upgrade first. I did a filter where I filtered this - Collected-Included, Rare-Exclude, Duplicates-Exclude and then sort by battle rating. I always wanted to upgrade my best pets first and figured the thousands of of people who rated these pets probably had good judgement of what is best and what isn't. That doesn't me I would up the top pet listed there - I usually favored non-wild over wild and exotic breeds over non-exotic (to me exotic is Elementals/Undead/Humanoid/Dragonkin/Magic).

WoD Tamers are BoA but your garrison - you can do those dailies on each of your toon garrisons so that means each toon could also bring in another rare battle-stone every 2 days.

BTW top rated brand new level 1 pets - take them to Ashlei in Shadowmoon Valley. If you have a good level 25 dragonkin and mechanical, you can boost that level 1 pet to 12 right there on the spot (I use my Emerald Proto-Whelp and Iron Starlette). Ashlei has a Plushie so she is super easy - of course the Alliance gets the easiest Pet Tamer in their homeland. But ours is pretty easy too - we get the 3 wolves but it's not as easy to take a level 1 in there.

Iskander
Top Rater

Post by Iskander » February 12th, 2015, 10:39 am

I am working towards getting the level 3 Menagerie. Still need around 380 battles to win >.< . I just find it odd that in MOP the stones were dropping rather ok for me, and since WOD I haven't seen a single stone while battling or in bags. Yes I do buy them with charms or from the AH even when they are low priced. I still have to upgrade 154 pets to rares, so I guess I still have a while to go :mrgreen:

I do plan on upgrading the ones that are from vendors or quests, since you can't upgrade them in the wild. I guess I better get to it, and try to get my lvl 3 Menagerie sorted out ASAP.

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Buruan » February 12th, 2015, 11:21 am

Iskander wrote:I am working towards getting the level 3 Menagerie. Still need around 380 battles to win >.< .
Good news for you, you actually only have about 30 wins to go, the requirement was adjusted to 150 wins a while back.
The tool tip still says 500, but you'll get the achieve at 150.

Iskander
Top Rater

Post by Iskander » February 12th, 2015, 11:32 am

Oh really? I am so happy I could kiss you! ;)
Not that I mind doing pet battles, but I was thinking: Oh god, another numerous hours of battling before I reach that level 3.
Your reply really made my day :mrgreen:

Killerkarl
Pet Score:13815
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Killerkarl » February 12th, 2015, 1:48 pm

They still drop from wild battles. I have been leveling alts via wild battles while grinding out the 2000 wins for the monument. There have been times when I go well past 100 battles without seeing one drop and then 2 will drop within a couple of fights. Just the old RNG at work.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 12th, 2015, 3:55 pm

It's definitely RNG - I've gotten stones from Pandaria tamer bags at the same random rate as before, and very very rarely get stones from wild battles (including the BoE ones).

Menagerie pet charms are the easiest way to get stones now, though I still like doing Pandaria tamers as I can typically get about 2 stones a day that way, even if they are family specific.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » February 12th, 2015, 5:33 pm

I just get my stones from all the old quests that award bags. I currently have more than enough stones to fill my needs. I haven't even bothered to buy any of the stones from the garrison pet vendor yet.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 12th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Oddly, the last 3 battle pet stones I got (2 flawless, 1 beast) were from Christop VonFeasel (the battle itself, not the bag).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » February 14th, 2015, 4:50 pm

I'm still getting battle stones from wild pet battles, probably about same rate as before. Got a flying stone on Timeless Isle this morning from a moth.

Seems like it's a rarer occurrence but realize I'm doing a lot fewer wild pets these days, mostly garrison and trainer battles.

Stella3
Pet Score:4018
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Stella3 » February 14th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Having just recently completed upgrading all my 600+ pets to rare the method I used was common sense stuff:

Upgrade non rares first, such as pets you can buy etc that only come in common quality. Once you have all of those upgraded then simply fly around and get the wild ones, using the remaining stones for the particular difficult wild pets like the Minfernal.

Then if you want to be like a smart person about it you have to take into consideration how you use up those stones because you want to keep the types sorta even so that way you dont have like 100 beasts waiting to be rared and only like one magic waiting to be rared, but you spent all your stones on the magic ones, but now have like 50 magic stones leftover. If that made any sense.