Most shameful/embarassing thing you've done for a pet?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us
Re: Most shameful/embarassing thing you've done for a pet?

Post by Principa » January 30th, 2015, 11:16 am

I once set an alarm clock when my husband was out of town to wake up in the middle of the night to hunt for a [pet]Minfernal[/pet].

I broke my own rule of "no spending real money on pets" when I was at a Convention and bought 6 cards for $4-10 each. I felt guilty about it but convinced myself that I used my con budget, which was "allowed", as opposed to ebaying them, which wasn't. I felt better about it when some woman next to me dropped $400 on a mount for her kid. I wasn't that crazy!

I leveled 4 toons level 20-40 exclusively by killing Dreaming Whelps in the old Swamp of Sorrows, before 4.0 when it still took time to level vanilla and when that's how you got the [pet]Emerald Whelpling[/pet]. The dreaming whelps had a stupid low chance of dropping the pet, and then they were tied to a spawn timer with the other whelps in the area as well... on top of that, I then ran around with my main for hours until I got it. My guild thought I was crazy because that was even really before pet collecting was a thing.

Also, I'm not getting all the Worgen hate-- I really enjoyed the levelling zone for the Worgen. Also, it's like... 11 levels. Admit it, most of you have spent more time waiting for a pet to spawn than you took to level from 1-11!

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » January 30th, 2015, 2:04 pm

Principa wrote:Also, I'm not getting all the Worgen hate-- I really enjoyed the levelling zone for the Worgen. Also, it's like... 11 levels. Admit it, most of you have spent more time waiting for a pet to spawn than you took to level from 1-11!
It's not the amount of time it takes, it's the fact that the zone is a bit ugly and there is so much needless hiking involved.

Compare it to the panda and goblin starter islands - similar time spent, but more enjoyable, and the art is just lush by comparison.

Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Principa » January 30th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Graven wrote:
Principa wrote:Also, I'm not getting all the Worgen hate-- I really enjoyed the levelling zone for the Worgen. Also, it's like... 11 levels. Admit it, most of you have spent more time waiting for a pet to spawn than you took to level from 1-11!
It's not the amount of time it takes, it's the fact that the zone is a bit ugly and there is so much needless hiking involved.

Compare it to the panda and goblin starter islands - similar time spent, but more enjoyable, and the art is just lush by comparison.
I really like undead and worgen areas-- the old Victorian feel is super cool, whether it's the put together Sherlock-ian feel of the worgen, or the paint-peeling haunted feel of the undead. One of my favourite leveling zones when I was alliance was Duskwood and I'm a big fan of Halloween, though, so I suppose that I'm not put off by that colour scheme.

That being said, I loved the goblin starter zone (hilarious), but wasn't a huge fan of the panda starter. I'd (personally) way rather level a worgen than a panda!

Stella3
Pet Score:4018
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Stella3 » January 30th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Playing exclusively Goblins and having 4 of them on this realm and 2 on another, I can say that the Goblin starting zone becomes a chore after about the 3rd time. Pandaren zome wasn't too bed (I did it out of curiosity) The Worgen however, I didn't get past level 2, the whole theme was just too gloomy for me.

Razielix
MVP
Pet Score:10583
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Razielix » January 31st, 2015, 3:44 am

Don't know if it's really an embarrassing thing. Obviously as discussed in depth above lol, with the Gilnean Raven only available to Worgen.. As a Horde guy never even having made an Alliance alt, I had to go do that for it.

(Incidentally, I didn't mind that starting area and starting quests. Nothing overly exciting, but it was pretty cool and had a pretty immersive atmosphere).

It was while I was getting that though, that I discovered the existence of the Ravager Hatchling, which of course was only available at Bloodmyst Isle.

So I was thinking it was the same thing that had to be done, and went and made myself a Draenei alt, levelled it up, got it to Bloodmyst Isle, and got my Ravager.

Of course a friend later told me, even as Horde, I could've just as easily taken a boat to that place. So after 5 or so years of playing at that point, I had no knowledge of this boat.. And yeah I ended up spending a few days (only played it here and there) levelling up a Draenei alt just for that pet when I could've just flown over and caught a boat lol
"Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw--a better throw--against one's destiny... What was a king to do?" - Kain

Blixtiya
Pet Score:10423
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Blixtiya » February 1st, 2015, 12:34 am

I have a few expensive pets where I borrowed a bit of gold from friends because they were up cheaper than I expected (a bit is like 2-4k out of 20k+), but since I really hate owing people money (and gold) the latest I paid back was the day after though.

But the most shameful thing must have been when sold pets I only had one of to buy other pets (early lv3 menagerie, when I sold the pets from there for about 25k each to get tcgs, but selling pets you dont have duplicates of is still like a sin or something)

Gardenia
MVP
Pet Score:9499
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Gardenia » February 1st, 2015, 8:17 am

It's not exactly a "something embarrassing I did to get a pet" thing, but it is a horribly embarrassing moment from my WoW past involving pets. Let me explain...

My first character I ever rolled back in November 2004 was a night elf druid - what can I say, I liked the idea of being able to turn into a cat. Anyway, first I ended up getting lost in Shadowglen. It was so bad I actually logged out, deleted the character, and started over. That's pretty embarrassing to admit, right there. However, I managed to find my way out the second time and later,while questing in Darkshore, I ran into another player with a pet owl... and it was attacking mobs with him!

I had recalled seeing a vendor selling owls in Darnassus, and so I went to buy one. It took pretty much all the money my lowly little druid had (this was back in the day when you didn't get fed it like candy from quest rewards), but I got my owl and went back out in the wild to continue questing with it at my side. Only... the owl wasn't attacking anything. I was so confused and I kept looking at my UI and spellbook, wondering if there was some sort of command I needed to give the owl so it would attack stuff. Well, after a few frustrating hours of failing to get my owl to help - I actually thought it was bugged - I mentioned the entire thing to one of my friends. He got a good laugh out of it and explained to me that the other elf I'd seen was a hunter and that they could tame wild animals which would then fight alongside them.

I felt like a complete idiot. I didn't immediately roll a hunter, though. That didn't happen until Alleria got so overpopulated I was sitting in a 2.5 hour queue every day and decided to bail on the server for another one with a lower pop.
WoW Twitter account: @TamerGardenia

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » February 2nd, 2015, 2:47 am

Gardenia, thanks for the laugh.
Reminds me of my first char (a hunter - I know ...), where I kept equiping a skinners knife every time I skinned something ^^

Ssparkles
Pet Score:10167
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Ssparkles » February 2nd, 2015, 6:51 am

Last year I had a clear out and put a whole bunch of stuff up on that irl AH (eBay).
Made enough to buy a Fetish Shaman and a Deathy. Grunty is next on my wish list but I'm running out of things to sell.

I've set alarms for server resets in the hopes of catching elusive pets.

I've rolled toons on a few diff realms in order to check other AHs for pets I need. It can be quite surprising what is valued on one realm is cheap on another.

I have swooped in and bought cheaply listed pets and then turned round and resold them for much more (using a diff toon so ppl would't know what I was doing).

But my most shameful thing is something I am currently only thinking about doing. I need a Deathwatch Hatchling. But I'm a die hard Horde..... Can I betray my faction for a pet?

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » February 2nd, 2015, 9:32 am

Ssparkles wrote: But my most shameful thing is something I am currently only thinking about doing. I need a Deathwatch Hatchling. But I'm a die hard Horde..... Can I betray my faction for a pet?
Yes, just tell yourself that it's in the name of espionage :-)

Yehuda
Pet Score:13776
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Yehuda » February 10th, 2015, 9:08 am

I made a DK on a Brazilian server, leveled it to get out of the starting zone, and trecked to Kalimdor to get my Minfernal. While I was there, I got two more, just cuz. In fact, I was able to farm until I got rares.

It turned out ok because I was able to run up to Winterspring and get a Snowy Owl with no competition.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » February 11th, 2015, 6:04 am

My most embarrasing thing, is buying SC2HotS-CE a few days ago, solely for the pet..

Jeslena
Pet Score:3240
Realm:Azgalor-us

Post by Jeslena » February 12th, 2015, 1:03 am

Back in WotLK my friend wanted to reroll some alts on another server with the intention of doing some minor raiding. I told him he was crazy as we were already part of a progression focused raid that had 4 raid nights (3.5 hours each) a week. With fish feasts being the only consumable that the guild provided, we didn't exactly have a lot of free time to level, gear out and raid on alts. He gifted me a Lil'XT (I think it was on sale at the time during the winter holidays) and I asked him what class and spec he wanted me to play.

Sharpcheddar
Pet Score:3194
Realm:Eonar-us

Post by Sharpcheddar » February 12th, 2015, 12:12 pm

I made a DK on an Aussie server, just to look for a Minfernal. Finally got it today!!!

Gardenia
MVP
Pet Score:9499
Realm:Grizzly Hills-us

Post by Gardenia » February 12th, 2015, 11:32 pm

I dropped 64k on a Darkmoon Rabbit this morning... I was just so sick of always wanting it and never getting it. It was already leveled to 25, too. I consider it a Valentine's Day gift to myself.

I also loaded an alt with the max gold allowed for a transfer and sent her to a server I got a tip on as having seriously low-priced pets. Scored a Lil' Leftovers and a Viscous Horror for about 40k total. Those pets are currently listed on my main server's AH for about 90k and 70k, respectively. I think I made out well, and I'm even going to keep my alt there to farm up gold and snag some of the TCG pets I'm still lacking.

Do I feel shame? Well... I'm still kinda cringing at how much I spent on that rabbit. However, I have wanted that pet so badly since it first came out. It was like... my Holy Grail of pets. (er... pun not intentional, I swear) Point being: I'm poor right now, but I'll probably make the money back in a few weeks with all the alts I'm running around with... so i'll live.

Right now Caerbannog is chilling at my garrison... and stalking my mage, for some unknown reason. Seriously. Every time I've logged in on her since I bought the pet he shows up behind me and starts following me around.
WoW Twitter account: @TamerGardenia

Taerie
Pet Score:4641
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Taerie » February 15th, 2015, 11:05 pm

Oh man. I have a good story for this. Back in the day when tcg pets were ungodly expensive... I had a lvl 1 bank toon on a really dead realm. I saw that a rocket chicken was on the bmah for 10k... well I was able to find a mage who would take 1k to port my lowbie self to the vale but I could not entice a single soul to take my money and fly me to the bmah and none of my friends were on to help. So I ended up googling how to get there as a lowbie toon... I walked and essentially body crawled through the vale all the way. It took at least an hour but by god I got the pet for 10k.