Share pet collecting news and advice.
Rannegirl
MVP
Pet Score:5363
BattleTag®:RaiRai#1483
Realm:Kirin Tor-us
I want someone to commiserate with me. *cry*

Post by Rannegirl » February 10th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Last Friday my computer, my wonderful new computer with the upgraded fancy video card, died. Black screen of death. Computer tech just called. Good news, didn’t have to reload Windows so I don’t have to download WoW, again. Bad news, I have to replace that upgraded fancy video card cause it fried itself. =( Yep, my luck struck again and I got a faulty card.

It’s probably going to be another week before I can buy the replacement video card and am only able to access the internet from work. So during this time I’m lamenting the number of pet charms not collected, the power leveling days missed, and watching my sworn enemy (not really) outpace me on the leader board for my home server!

They are now 34 pts ahead of me, where for the last couple weeks we’ve been jockeying for the #5 position. Not only are they firmly entrenched at #5 (for now!), but someone else has jumped in front of me! *gasp* Sadly I’ve fallen to #7. Everyone say it with me, awwwwww.

My only solace is that I was able to get the lovebird pet from the holiday before my computer betrayed me.

Stella3
Pet Score:4018
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Re: I want someone to commiserate with me. *cry*

Post by Stella3 » February 10th, 2015, 8:43 pm

The fastest racer is still the fastest racer, even when she takes a break. ;)

Waflob
Pet Score:4117
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Waflob » February 11th, 2015, 3:22 am

Computer problems always suck.
I'm confused about why you have to buy a replacement graphics card - if it's new, shouldn't it be replaced under the warranty / guarantee terms?

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » February 11th, 2015, 3:56 am

Waflob wrote:Computer problems always suck.
I'm confused about why you have to buy a replacement graphics card - if it's new, shouldn't it be replaced under the warranty / guarantee terms?

I agree!!! At least look into it, I as a consumer would be beyond peeved :evil:

Rannegirl
MVP
Pet Score:5363
BattleTag®:RaiRai#1483
Realm:Kirin Tor-us

Post by Rannegirl » February 11th, 2015, 10:11 am

I have learned my lesson and the next time I buy a computer I will read the fine print regarding returns much more closely. After jumping through all the hoops they require to even send the item back, they then at their discretion have the right to determine "if any damage or defect results from (i) misuse, abuse, neglect, improper shipping or installation; (ii) disasters such as fire, flood, lightning or improper electric current; or (iii) service or alteration by anyone other than an authorized representative."

The tech and I discussed this before he cracked it open and he said with that much of a limited warranty -- especially the notations about improper shipping and improper current which are wide open to interpretation -- it didn't look good. And then if they decide it's not under warranty, I'm on the hook for shipping and labor charges. All in all, it was a better prospect to just have the local guy figure out the problem and then take care of it from there.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » February 11th, 2015, 12:52 pm

Rannegirl wrote:I have learned my lesson and the next time I buy a computer I will read the fine print regarding returns much more closely. After jumping through all the hoops they require to even send the item back, they then at their discretion have the right to determine "if any damage or defect results from (i) misuse, abuse, neglect, improper shipping or installation; (ii) disasters such as fire, flood, lightning or improper electric current; or (iii) service or alteration by anyone other than an authorized representative."

The tech and I discussed this before he cracked it open and he said with that much of a limited warranty -- especially the notations about improper shipping and improper current which are wide open to interpretation -- it didn't look good. And then if they decide it's not under warranty, I'm on the hook for shipping and labor charges. All in all, it was a better prospect to just have the local guy figure out the problem and then take care of it from there.
And unfortunately that dog & pony show is how the local guys get their money - because they can easily frighten the consumers into thinking the big, evil corporation will screw them over because of the fine print. This is not to say the big, evil corporation isn't big or evil - they are. I've been in a shooting war between ASUS and Intel before and thankfully NewEGG has a much better customer service department than either of those two behemoths. But if you cannot build your own computers like some of us do, then I would strongly recommend getting one from a place that has on-site support and not by mail order just to avoid that nonsense. Unfortunately that little snippet does you no good, and I'm sorry for your lost time. :(

And Stella3, you need to read what the letter from the Highmaul Colliseum that you get for not coming in first place says:
"Just rememer, second place is first place loser!" (paraphrased, at work so can't check, as I never come in first)
LMAO the first time I got that letter... after the 10th I'll probably start crying.