Grubbles, Scrags, Stings – Leveler Strategy

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us
Re: Grubbles, Scrags, Stings – Leveler Strategy

Post by Darolyn » January 26th, 2015, 1:23 am

Rendigar wrote:All credit for this strat to Giove over at Wowhead:

Grubbles, Scrags & Stings:
Lil' Bad Wolf (must have 264+ spd, so all but the P/P will be fine here)
Iron Starlette (technically any Breed - I tested P/P, H/H, and P/S - but avoid H/H if you can)
Carry pet (will not take damage)

vs Grubbles
Dodge > Howl > Claw til Grubbles dies (usually 2-3 times)

vs Scrags
Swap to carry > swap to Iron Starlette > Wind-up > Toxic Smoke > Wind-up

vs Stings
Wind-up > Supercharge > Wind-up
If you are pushed into mechanical round before you cast Supercharge you can try to use Wind-up and finish off Stings with Lil' Bad Wolf - has happened once in about 40 battles so far, though, so is fairly uncommon.

Note: You really want to use a 305+ power version of the Iron Starlette. With the H/H you will need a 2nd application of Toxic Smoke. I let Toxic Smoke's last tick kill off Scrags so I started up vs Stings w/Wind-up already prepared, but then still needed to cast Toxic Smoke for that last little bit of damage.
I used the highly unstable Anub/MPD strat to level the Lil Bad Wolf and Iron Starlette, and I have to say, WOW.

The fight takes less than two minutes. I've had two times where Iron Starlette died prematurely, but have not lost a single fight.

This is my favorite strat because of the lvl 1 carry. Works perfectly.

Daro
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Nirnaan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5783
Realm:Runetotem-eu

Post by Nirnaan » January 26th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Rendigar wrote:All credit for this strat to Giove over at Wowhead:

Grubbles, Scrags & Stings:
Lil' Bad Wolf (must have 264+ spd, so all but the P/P will be fine here)
Iron Starlette (technically any Breed - I tested P/P, H/H, and P/S - but avoid H/H if you can)
Carry pet (will not take damage)

vs Grubbles
Dodge > Howl > Claw til Grubbles dies (usually 2-3 times)

vs Scrags
Swap to carry > swap to Iron Starlette > Wind-up > Toxic Smoke > Wind-up

vs Stings
If you are pushed into mechanical round before you cast Supercharge you can try to use Wind-up and finish off Stings with Lil' Bad Wolf - has happened once in about 40 battles so far, though, so is fairly uncommon.

Note: You really want to use a 305+ power version of the Iron Starlette. With the H/H you will need a 2nd application of Toxic Smoke. I let Toxic Smoke's last tick kill off Scrags so I started up vs Stings w/Wind-up already prepared, but then still needed to cast Toxic Smoke for that last little bit of damage.
A variation on this is [pet]Feline Familiar[/pet] 2-1-1 and the [pet]Iron Starlette[/pet] 1-2-1 plus a Carry

vs Grubbles
Stoneskin > Devour > Pounce > Devour

vs Scrags
Swap to carry > swap to Iron Starlette > Wind-up > Toxic Smoke (x2 if using H/H Starlette) > Wind-up

vs Stings

Highly consistent but if you are very lucky with FF crits you will kill Grubbles too quick and be stuck in Sticky Goo for a round and your Carry will take a hit. (Happend once to me while leveling from 98 to 100 so not very often)

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » January 26th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Vetteranger wrote:Thanks to Vaxxus on Wowhead for yet another team, which is similar to the one just above. His uses a P/S Flayer Youngling as the first pet, and P/P Iron Starlette second. I used a straight Power Iron Starlette, as my P/P (Destruction) is not leveled.

Starting with the Flayer:
1. Deflect
2. Rampage
3 & 4. Rampage continues
5 (and maybe 6). Triple snap (first opponent dead)

Swap in leveling pet, which gets stunned.

Swap in Iron Starlette.
Wind up, Toxic Smoke, Wind up (second opponent dead)
Wind up, Supercharge, Wind up (third opponent dead)

This strategy appears to be a 100% winner. In several battles I haven't seen it come close to failing, even with crits by the bad guys.

This is a very fast AND EASY fight (as opposed to yesterday, which was decent experience, but a very long and technical fight to win). It is about 3k experience with the hat on, but no pet snack buff.
Excellent strat. I'd like to add that the flayer can be PP or SS as well. Tested both, but i'm sticking with PP of course because i need to cast one triple snap at most after the rampage.

Aurae
Top Rater
Pet Score:10919
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Aurae » February 9th, 2015, 5:12 pm

Since it wasn't done, I'll give this a bump in favor of the daily today. :)

And since this is a very safe level 1 carry daily (I'm using the Flayer/Starlette strat), it's been nice to give my lower levels the buffer they need for some of the tamer carry strats.

edit: I'm also curious if a P/P Flayer might eliminate the need for the Triple Snap round. I've only got P/S and S/S Flayers in my collection, haven't found a P/P yet to test that.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 9th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Aurae wrote: edit: I'm also curious if a P/P Flayer might eliminate the need for the Triple Snap round. I've only got P/S and S/S Flayers in my collection, haven't found a P/P yet to test that.
If the ability calculator on this site is correct, a P/P would only need to hit once with triple snap to kill Grubbles.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Aurae
Top Rater
Pet Score:10919
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Aurae » February 9th, 2015, 6:54 pm

I'm using the P/S Flayer, and he only needs to Triple Snap once - Grubbles is usually left with 219 health after Rampage (P/S hits for 579 strong non-crit). There have been a few times though that he killed Grubbles with only Rampage - lucky crit. That's when I considered that the P/P, since he'll hit on the higher side anyway, might be able to kill him off with just Rampage.

I had forgotten about the ability calculators though, thanks. :P

Katybug273
Pet Score:2930
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Katybug273 » February 9th, 2015, 9:14 pm

I'm loving Xu-Fu for this fight. With great rng he almost solo's all 3.

I had clockwork in instead of chrom, may have to try switching them out and see how it goes but the turrets are nice to have if you get terrible rng on Xu missing

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » February 10th, 2015, 12:06 am

Here is my sure fire quick win strategy that works for power-leveling any pet that has about 600-700 HP and has about one decent hit of about 250-300HP.

Chrominius-Iron Starlette.

Open with Chrommy
Howl
Ravage (2 turns)
Bite
* Grubbles Dies*

In comes Scrags. Here's the thing, pick whatever you want because Chrommy won't get a hit and he will die because Grubbles stickied him and Scrags will stun him. All good.

Bring in the Starlette.

Windup-Supercharge-Windup and Scrags is dead.

Now here is the fun

Do two Windups and one Toxic Smoke. Then Pass and keep passing until your Starlette is dead. Bring in your pet to level - use your biggest hit and kill Stings

Rinse and Repeat

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » February 10th, 2015, 6:16 am

Abbotta wrote: Then Pass and keep passing until your Starlette is dead. Bring in your pet to level - use your biggest hit and kill Stings
have you tried using a mechanical pet with explode? this kills the mechanical and Stings instantly and XP is awarded to the carry (which then doesn't take any damage), even if it hadn't been swapped in at any point of the fight.

i'm saying this because the 3 bugs are ideal for prepping your carries for the day after - the JSA bird combo, known as the biggest levelling insanity the game has ever had (win in 6-8 rounds). but due to backline damage a carry needs to be able to take roughly 350 damage, so they need to be pre-levelled. 1 fight against the bugs does just that.

3wd
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by 3wd » February 10th, 2015, 10:48 am

I found this combo that have a very decent chance to level even a level 1 pet.

Slot 1 : a H/H breed Mech Bear with skill 1 and 3 being the strong hit against critter.
Slot 2 : Darkmoon air balloon/ship.
Slot 3 : your level 1 pet or any pet over 10 level will close to 100%.

In most cases, your mech bear will kill grubbles with around 200-500 HP left.

and against scrags, he will stun you and either kill you with double damage or the skill with always 353 dmg, the key is : after your mech bear will revive, you will have enough HP to suffer one more hit and always have 7 HP left and you should take the HP of scags down by 200-300.

Also, scrags will have a round always doing nothing, as long as you get that, you can easily use your darkmoon pet to kill it with about 1200-1245 HP left, and then just do 3 missiles and explode and your chance to killing it is at least better than 60-70%, if not, do 2 missiles and explode is for sure to leave only 100-150 HP for your 3rd pet to finish it.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » February 11th, 2015, 7:42 am

Aurae wrote:Since it wasn't done, I'll give this a bump in favor of the daily today. :)

And since this is a very safe level 1 carry daily (I'm using the Flayer/Starlette strat), it's been nice to give my lower levels the buffer they need for some of the tamer carry strats.

edit: I'm also curious if a P/P Flayer might eliminate the need for the Triple Snap round. I've only got P/S and S/S Flayers in my collection, haven't found a P/P yet to test that.
I use the same strat and was wondering this too, but not sure I want to go farm a P/P Flayer just to find out. The S/S works fine and I am glad to see him used. Love that little guy. I do think a P/P Starlette makes a difference though.