Just did my first Celestials

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us
Just did my first Celestials

Post by Abbotta » February 3rd, 2015, 4:56 pm

Wow, easier than I thought but I spent two months building up a huge collection of pets it would have been hard to not win Celestials. Of course my first pet was the Xu-fu - I mean who wouldn't want the #3 rank pet on this site!

I tip to those looking to do Celestials. Don't discount your wild pets for part of finishing Celestials. I found that for most of my early battles were done with mainly Wild Pets including a selection of Striders, Snails, Moths, Foxes, Kun-lai Runt and the Flayer Youngling. And for those of you who are fans of the 'Howl Bomb' just save it all up Xu-Fu (Howl Bomb - Unborn Val'kyr, Pandarian Water Spirit and Chrominius). I had used the Valk with one of the other Celestial Pets but he came out with half his HP still available so he was good to go for Xu-Fu. In the end consider it this way - you should be able to do the first round with all wild pets or very inexpensive pets found. That way for round #2 those can be done with the higher-end pets.

Rikmach
Pet Score:6158
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Re: Just did my first Celestials

Post by Rikmach » February 3rd, 2015, 5:11 pm

Abbotta wrote:Wow, easier than I thought but I spent two months building up a huge collection of pets it would have been hard to not win Celestials. Of course my first pet was the Xu-fu - I mean who wouldn't want the #3 rank pet on this site!

I tip to those looking to do Celestials. Don't discount your wild pets for part of finishing Celestials. I found that for most of my early battles were done with mainly Wild Pets including a selection of Striders, Snails, Moths, Foxes, Kun-lai Runt and the Flayer Youngling. And for those of you who are fans of the 'Howl Bomb' just save it all up Xu-Fu (Howl Bomb - Unborn Val'kyr, Pandarian Water Spirit and Chrominius). I had used the Valk with one of the other Celestial Pets but he came out with half his HP still available so he was good to go for Xu-Fu. In the end consider it this way - you should be able to do the first round with all wild pets or very inexpensive pets found. That way for round #2 those can be done with the higher-end pets.
Ha! Nice, I just finally did it myself a day or two ago, and got Xu-fu as well. And I agree, wild pets are a vital part of completing this- especially since you can hunt around for breed on allot of them. However, don't dismiss trade skill pets or rare drops, many are fantastic. In short, evaluate your pets on their own merits, not where they came from.

Jesjbrown
MVP
Pet Score:4219
Realm:Garona-us

Post by Jesjbrown » February 3rd, 2015, 5:56 pm

You've inspired me to get back into leveling for the tournament. Still haven't gotten up the guts to try, but knowing I'm not the only one out there who's just now getting around to it makes me feel more confident. Congrats on your pet!

Desi
Pet Score:5590
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Desi » February 3rd, 2015, 6:18 pm

Congratulations on completing it for the first time. :D
Jesjbrown wrote:You've inspired me to get back into leveling for the tournament. Still haven't gotten up the guts to try, but knowing I'm not the only one out there who's just now getting around to it makes me feel more confident. Congrats on your pet!
Jes, if you need help, I followed this guide by Chrosta ([url]http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2212/celestial-tournament-with-18-pets[/url]) when levelling up pets. It worked 100% for me every time and is very well tested.

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » February 3rd, 2015, 6:20 pm

Desi wrote:Congratulations on completing it for the first time. :D
Jesjbrown wrote:You've inspired me to get back into leveling for the tournament. Still haven't gotten up the guts to try, but knowing I'm not the only one out there who's just now getting around to it makes me feel more confident. Congrats on your pet!
Jes, if you need help, I followed this guide by Chrosta ([url]http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2212/celestial-tournament-with-18-pets[/url]) when levelling up pets. It worked 100% for me every time and is very well tested.

That was a HUGE help with getting my team together. I can't say that I used the exact team but helped steer me towards the right pets.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » February 3rd, 2015, 7:42 pm

I just finished mine for the first time yesterday, using the 18 pet list mainly. The most important tip I can give is, if you're going Howl Bomb, and you can swing it, have two Chrominius ready. Xu-Fu killed my Chromi the first time, I got a second and quickly leveled it and went back in with two fully healed Chromis....Xu-Fu killed the first one, I exited the fight, healed up the Zepp and Water Spirit using Stinker, and then went back in with the second Chromi.

No crits, made it through. Cheered.

It took a lot of stress off me to know I had two chances at it before I'd have to start over or figure something else out.

I hadn't paid enough attention, and didn't know you could get the first pet right away. And that's the story of how Xu-Fu became my 600th pet.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » February 3rd, 2015, 9:46 pm

Darolyn wrote:I just finished mine for the first time yesterday, using the 18 pet list mainly. The most important tip I can give is, if you're going Howl Bomb, and you can swing it, have two Chrominius ready. Xu-Fu killed my Chromi the first time, I got a second and quickly leveled it and went back in with two fully healed Chromis....Xu-Fu killed the first one, I exited the fight, healed up the Zepp and Water Spirit using Stinker, and then went back in with the second Chromi.

No crits, made it through. Cheered.

It took a lot of stress off me to know I had two chances at it before I'd have to start over or figure something else out.

I hadn't paid enough attention, and didn't know you could get the first pet right away. And that's the story of how Xu-Fu became my 600th pet.
Congrats on 600! What a perfect pet for that accomplishment.

I failed first time with Xu-fu but didn't use any pets from pet howl team. But I'm starting to think a second Chrommy wouldn't hurt. Those Foxes also could be used for the Howl Bomb but they aren't as strong and don't have Surge of Power.

Razielix
MVP
Pet Score:10583
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Razielix » February 4th, 2015, 1:56 am

Desi wrote:Congratulations on completing it for the first time. :D
Yep, 100%! This helped me in organising which pets I needed to level and I haven't failed a fight yet doing my tourney's to get the celestial pets (except for once with a crit from Xu-Fu but I don't count that lol).
"Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw--a better throw--against one's destiny... What was a king to do?" - Kain

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Buruan » February 4th, 2015, 9:55 am

I too, after 2 recent fails, went back to BWL and got a second Chromie.

This would a great pet to farm for cash, if there wasnt the painful Razorgore fight gating it.

Congrats on the celestials!!! Its, in my opinion, the pinnacle of PVE Pet Battles currently.

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » February 4th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Buruan wrote:I too, after 2 recent fails, went back to BWL and got a second Chromie.

This would a great pet to farm for cash, if there wasnt the painful Razorgore fight gating it.

Congrats on the celestials!!! Its, in my opinion, the pinnacle of PVE Pet Battles currently.
Luckily for me Chrominius is a cheap pickup in the Area 52 auction house - about 800g-900g and I keep thinking of getting a 2nd one. But I just found a Living Fluid in AH for 5000g so there went my gold.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » February 6th, 2015, 9:45 am

Lil Bling can sometimes solo xu-fu. If he doesnt, all you need is a second mech to mop up. I generally use the tonk for its cannon

For an even more foolproof method, you can start with one of the SS zandalari raptors. You should be able to use black claw followed by hunting party before dying. When Bling comes in, Xu-Fu has shattered defenses, and two rounds of black claw remaining. Just make it rain, followed by inflation... Bye bye Xu-Fu

Abbotta
MVP

Post by Abbotta » February 6th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Skavenged wrote:Lil Bling can sometimes solo xu-fu. If he doesnt, all you need is a second mech to mop up. I generally use the tonk for its cannon

For an even more foolproof method, you can start with one of the SS zandalari raptors. You should be able to use black claw followed by hunting party before dying. When Bling comes in, Xu-Fu has shattered defenses, and two rounds of black claw remaining. Just make it rain, followed by inflation... Bye bye Xu-Fu
I think by the time I got to Xu-Fu, which was the last one, I just wanted him to die. I have that Pet Team add-on so after my first failure with Xu-Fu using what I thought were my best mechanicals (I'm a huge fan of the Iron Starlette/Tranquil Yeti combo against most fable beasts), I just went with the Howl Bomb. Sometimes I think that is the lazy way to do a pet battle but it works and it gets the job done for those big bad single beasts.

But now that I have determined that I will need to do 9 more celestials I will try some other combos. I've never put much stock into the Zandalari Raptors. I have all 4 but just kinda shrug them off in my inventory (only recently have I leveled 2 of them to 25 back during the last round of Scruggs/Jahan days). That's what I like about this forum - there are go-to pets I use every single day but this place gets me to try other pets I normally don't bother with using.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » February 6th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Yeah, against Xu-Fu, Howl bomb is just too random for me. That's why I wanted an alternate plan.

On a side note, the raptors have tons of uses. Especially in BOF fights in Jade forest.

I also use the Toe Nibbler in PvP. 341 speed makes it faster than most opponent pets, and Black Claw plus Flank means you're hitting for about 550-800 per round without crits. Team it up with dots or a Gnome turret, and you're really over the top. Sure it has low health, but with it's speed, you can kill most pets before the third round and still be able to tag the next pet with Black Claw again
Last edited by Skavenged on February 6th, 2015, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » February 6th, 2015, 8:59 pm

Skavenged wrote:Yeah, against Xu-Fu, Howl bomb is just too random for me. That's why I wanted an alternate plan.
That's why I use spider bomb on Xufu!
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Robotusch
Pet Score:10391
BattleTag®:Roboe#2913
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Robotusch » February 7th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Personally I run with the 2 Alpine Foxlings, 1 Darkmoon Zeppelin setup.

Alpine Foxling: Dance -> Howl -> Bite -> Dead
Alpine Foxling Kit: Flurry -> Howl -> Flurry -> Dead
Darkmoon Zeppelin: Missile -> Decoy -> Missile -> Missile

It's still a bit too RNG dependant for my liking, since the whole strat goes south if Xu-Fu crits once on the Foxlings.