Share pet collecting news and advice.
Serinda12
Top Rater
Pet Score:3027
Realm:Nesingwary-us
lvling-Caging & Reselling your extra pets

Post by Serinda12 » January 30th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Hi everyone,

While I have been collecting pets since BC I have only recently started into pet battles and only did my first C Tournament yesterday. I have always been a lurker here reading posts and gleaning tons of good info so :D thank you :D to everyone who shares their stories and advice.

That said I am finally feeling at a total loss as to what to do with some of my extra huggable pets. Now that I can do most of my pet farming solo at least for other older stuff, I am finding I end up with extras at first it didn't matter I had one so box and list it. Now as I learn more about breed ID and how it affects things I have a few pets that have some lvls or have been upgraded to rare that I have swapped out for a different breed.

How do you guys figure out how to price those in the AH? For example. I have a lvl 12 direhorn runt rare P/B do I finish lvling and then sell it? And if so for how much? They are going for around 200g at lvl 1 on my server atm. I don't want to bother lvling it up if it isn't worth my time to do so since I have plenty of pets I want to use that still need to gain exp.

I also upgraded my ghostly skull before figuring out that I wanted a different breed as now I have an extra one that is a blue rare H/B lvl 1 but it's worth more upgraded after using a stone then one you buy at the vendor right? What in the world do I charge for it in the AH?

I am also have a ton of extra winter veil pets that have been around for years and years is it worth upgrading and lvling them before trying to sell them or just a waste of time since they are so common?

I guess I am wondering if there is a going rate you add to your extras per lvl gained or per stone used to upgrade it. And thoughts and opinions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Serinda

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Re: lvling-Caging & Reselling your extra pets

Post by Rendigar » January 30th, 2015, 3:28 pm

I cannot help on the overall question for what to charge for "X" because there are too many variables. I have seen that people tend to value the stone to make a pet rare at about 1k gold. However, with pet charms from the menageries and WoD tamers being so common (ex: I have enough to make 80 pets rare ATM) I think the value is only going to plummet.

Levelling, I've seen people offering to pay 1k for a lvl 25 version of a pet in trade along with a level 1 of the same breed. But if you are selling on the AH then it's more about how useful the pet is. A level 25 Chrominius is probably easily worth paying 1k more for, but a B/B cat or cockroach? Not so much. When you can buy a pet from a vendor for 5 gold, stone it in a day, and level it in 30 minutes (if you want to bother getting it to 25 in the first place), it's not likely you'll pay 2000 gold for it on the AH. But maybe they'll pay 500? but then is it worth your time and stone? Yes it's a 100:1 ROI, but you might have been able to make 2k+ for the same time spent on a Chrominius.

I can say that the winter pets aren't likely to sell at all - the Azeroth Adoption Agency has a massive overflow of them and you can't give them away (I've heard tales of people running screaming when you try and trade them a set). So you might be able to sell a stoned version or a levelled & stoned version, but I wouldn't expect too get much or to sell them very often.

<And before Rusti has me drawn-and-quartered I know the AAA is *not* accepting holiday pets!>

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » January 30th, 2015, 5:08 pm

I think it seriously depends on the server as well. Because I've been able to get upwards of an extra 20k for a lvl25 version of a usable pet vs the lvl1 version on my server. So, what I'm saying is, I could sell a lvl1 for,say 5k. And I could sell the same pet as lvl25 for 25k. It has worked on my server, but that doesn't mean it will on yours.
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 30th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Rendigar wrote:I cannot help on the overall question for what to charge for "X" because there are too many variables.
I agree, way too many variables to consider to give a definite answer (but I'll try to give simplified answers to the specific questions you asked).
Serinda12 wrote: I have a lvl 12 direhorn runt rare P/B do I finish lvling and then sell it? And if so for how much? They are going for around 200g at lvl 1 on my server atm. I don't want to bother lvling it up if it isn't worth my time to do so since I have plenty of pets I want to use that still need to gain exp.
Begin checking your AH daily for a couple of days (I usually give it about 5 days to watch for trends) and see how other sellers are pricing their mid level pets versus the same pet, max level. As a general rule I charge an extra 1 to 1.5k for a max level pet versus a level 1... but this varies wildly based on how rare the pet is, how active your pet market is, etc. Anything under around level 20 or so, I charge the same as a level 1. If the extra amount is not enough to make it worth your time, then sell it as is.
Serinda12 wrote:I also upgraded my ghostly skull before figuring out that I wanted a different breed as now I have an extra one that is a blue rare H/B lvl 1 but it's worth more upgraded after using a stone then one you buy at the vendor right? What in the world do I charge for it in the AH?
Same as above, watch the AH for a few days to look for trends. As a general rule I charge an extra 1k for a stoned to rare pet, regardless of breed (many casual pet battlers (which is the largest segment of the market) value rarity and levels over breeds as a fast way to bolster their collection.) For certain more desirable pets (i.e. Servant of Demidos) I will always stone it before selling and consider that part of the pet's value - that is, I would sell it at the same price as a green version of the same, as the price on it is high overall.
Serinda12 wrote:I am also have a ton of extra winter veil pets that have been around for years and years is it worth upgrading and lvling them before trying to sell them or just a waste of time since they are so common?
Due to just how common they are, these are far tougher to sell even rare and max level. At best you might get 1k for a level 25 rare of any of these.