Time to increase collection limit?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Peterc
Pet Score:5382
Realm:Outland-eu
Time to increase collection limit?

Post by Peterc » January 29th, 2015, 9:01 am

With 6.1 introducing a number of new pets has there been any talk on increasing the collection limit? I have been at 1000 for sometime and have to release/cage pets to add further.

Not saying the limit should be very high bit should maintain at lest a 2x average of each pet (recognising that some pets are single collection only).

Any views?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: Time to increase collection limit?

Post by Luciandk » January 29th, 2015, 10:33 am

Im only collecting 1 of each pet and Im currently at 676 unique pets. 6.1 will push that close to 700 pets.

I decided long ago to only take one of each, as the cap would quickly get in the way.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2015, 11:33 am

I'm starting to get close to the 1k limit would probably hit it if I got everything I'm missing after 6.1 comes out but I also have a number of pets I'm sure I could cage or release. I've got a number of cagable dupes that I'll eventually sell someplace or another that could be caged up rather than learned. I've also got a number of duplicates for wild pets where I thought something was a better breed but I haven't bothered to stone or level that better breed. I also started collecting good breeds for a while when we thought breeding would come in so I've got 3 p/p emp crabs, two of which haven't been leveled up. Was looking for them but when I saw things like that I captured them just in case.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 29th, 2015, 3:02 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing the limit raised to around 1200, but I have not heard wind of it anywhere. While I am not near the limit (I only have around 81 duplicates), I do have multiples of several pets that only come in 1 breed (lets me have multiple teams for testing with less healing involved between battles). Increasing the limit would allow for people who try to have many breeds for most of the pets to get closer to their goal - even if they only collect the core three of the four main breeds when they can (P/S, P/P, S/S, and H/H) I don't think they could do so with even 1200. Anyone have a spreadsheet handy? :D

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » January 29th, 2015, 5:32 pm

It would be nice if they could increase the limit - by at least another 500, IMO.

I have 668 total pets, and I have several duplicates. I could put any cageable duplicates in the bank for now; but I don't want to get rid of any wild duplicates - I like having more than one breed of some of them.

The only pets I don't own up to MoP is a few of the Pandaria serpent "Wild ... Hatchlings." I only realized lately that I never got them. There are several I don't have from WoD.

Eventually we will reach the limit where even people who don't collect duplicates will run out of room. Increasing the limit is inevitable unless Blizzard STOPS releasing new pets. Otherwise players will be forced to CHOOSE which they will own, and which they will not. If that were to happen, which I doubt, I can already think of several I will never use for anything, and don't really care one way or another about. Especially with all the different kinds of the same pet - all the moths, mice, rats, rabbits, etcetera.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 29th, 2015, 6:53 pm

They've increased the limit in the past and I'm sure they'll do it again. After all they have access to all the statistics they want on how many pets everyone has and know when it's getting close to being a problem for more than just the .000000001% of us crazy collectors.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 29th, 2015, 7:16 pm

When I first started to collect it was going to be 'one of each'.

Then I realized that some breeds were harder to find than others so I really didn't want to toss the 2nd Nexus Whelping I found when I spent all day farming them.

Then I discovered that within many species there are different breeds so for those 3 Nexus Whelpings I have I have 3 different Breeds (P/P, P/S and a P/B).

Now I'm learning there are Breed IDs and that not all breeds are alike but at this point my head is about to explode and I haven't figured out about the number yet nor do I have an add-on that shows it so at this point not fretting yet about it but I know it's out there.

So I want to make sure I keep 1 of each species. I may not need different breed of some of the lowly rated pets but the ones that are highly rated I want as many as I am allowed to have especially when all it takes is me to catch one in the wild! (I also have 3 Kun-lai Runts).

So at some point they are going to have to increase above 1000. Maybe not for 6.1 but probaby for the next Xpac release. For collectors 1000 seems reasonable but for peole looking to PvP or anal retentative OCD number crunchers like myself (yeah I know I am), I need more!

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » January 30th, 2015, 2:18 pm

There are ~700 pets and you have room for 1000. That's ~50% extra.. That should be more than enough for all..

If cap was raised to 1200 or even 1500 as suggested, the cap would be pointless, and thus should be removed.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 30th, 2015, 2:42 pm

FuxieDK wrote:There are ~700 pets and you have room for 1000. That's ~50% extra.. That should be more than enough for all..

If cap was raised to 1200 or even 1500 as suggested, the cap would be pointless, and thus should be removed.
That is your opinion on what "should be more than enough for all". And obviously, based on the comments of a few people here in contradiction, that is not the case. There are far more than 1000 unique combinations of skins, movesets and breeds. There are people who absolutely love the idea of being able to field teams of 3 of this or 3 of that. There are people who run 2 idenitcal copies of several teams just to make things easier/faster. There are people who want every major breed (up to 3) of every pet whenever possible because they don't know what they will need or when.

The cap could be there for many reasons - including to limit the amount of database space being used to track pets. Or it could be that Blizzard wants to limit the # of choices players have to work with. We cannot really know - but if it for the latter reason then it certainly would be nice if they've added 100+ pets since the limit of 1000 went into effect (which they have) if they could increase it for those people who do not collect like you choose to.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 30th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Rendigar wrote:That is your opinion on what "should be more than enough for all". And obviously, based on the comments of a few people here in contradiction, that is not the case.
Honestly it hadn't occurred to me that the limit might not be high enough until I saw all the comments on here, because I don't collect that way. But obviously some people do want multiples, whether for breeds or just because they can't bear to let some go, or whatnot. So I do think that maybe a small bump is in order, given that more pets get released with each patch - which is a GOOD thing!
Rendigar wrote:The cap could be there for many reasons - including to limit the amount of database space being used to track pets.
I believe this would be Blizzard's official reason. The same goes for bag space (since people keep asking for more), hunter pet stable space (same thing), etc.