Power Leveling pets

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skyhoof
Pet Score:11926
Realm:Cenarius-us
Power Leveling pets

Post by Skyhoof » January 27th, 2015, 1:34 pm

What's the best power leveling strategy in WoD? In MoP, I would use my hat + biscuit and do the circuit of pet tamers in pandaria in about an hour. I could usually get two pets to level 25 this way each day. Without flying in WoD, getting to the new pet trainers seems to take longer. I'm thinking of getting my pets to level 20 or 21 and then using the new stones on them to take them to level 25. Any better strategies? Would it be worth doing the new trainers instead of Mop?

Here's a link to the strat I have been using. Is there a new one for WoD?

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7023

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Re: Power Leveling pets

Post by Jerebear » January 27th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Depends on your playstyle. A lot of people like the Lvl 2/3 menegerie battles on some days (3 pets days), especially the 3 birds days.

If you are going MoP style, you should check out the updated version of that guide you linked:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7556

If you get those teams going, get a toon with epic flight, and work out an optimized flightpath, you can do all the MoP tamers in about 32-36 minutes. With both food buffs, you should be able to level 3-4 toons per day that way. And you have time to go do some Cata/Wrath tamers or log off the toon and use part of the buff food the next day.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 27th, 2015, 4:45 pm

To save on Pet food timers I actually stationed a level 1 at each of the pandaren tamers, including the elementals, 11 in total. Give each a couple pet food and they have the hat already. Getting them there would require help from a friend or being able to play 2 accounts at the same time. 2 seat flying mount is also a must. I play 2 accounts so it was easy to get them there. The only unsafe spot is Seeker Zusshi. It can be done, you have to be careful and time your conversations with Zusshi. There is a basilisk that wanders around a mound nearby that will agro if he is on the near side of the mound. Even still death is a quick run back and buffs persist through death.

I could get usually about 18 or so days out of the pet foods. Log in, fight, open the goody bag, Heal if I could, log out. 2 to 3 minutes per fight usually. If it went 4 minutes then the heal timer was up and you can heal for free, if not I did not hesitate to use the bandages since I now have over 1000 of them.

I thought about doing this for the WOD but I know several of them would be a waste of time to get an alt there unless they were 90+ and could handle agro. Then Menagerie battles proved to be a super easy way to maximize exp and time spent, even free heals. So I abandoned the thought of putting alts at each battle. There has been evidence on Test Realm that the exp in menagerie battles will be hit with a giant nerf bat in 6.1 though.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Post by Guest » January 27th, 2015, 6:22 pm

I still do the Panda dailies but I mix in Draenor too as I can do all of Panda and 3 Draenor in the 1 hour lesser+regular pet treat window.

I Fly to Taralune, put on my hat, feed treats and begin,
Garrison hearth, fly to Ashlei
Hearth to the Golden Lantern, Panda Circuit
Garrison hearth, fly to Veil

At the end I normally have 3 minutes left, If I get really lucky and the fights went faster I 1 time also then made it to Nagrand, but only because I flew from Ashlei to the Veil instead of garrison hearthing.

That gives me right at 15 fights in an hour, each one averages 8.5k exp or so for my pets. It gives me the chance at upgrade stones, Panda Spirits (still selling for over 2k remarkably) at a net of -3 charms. I then pick up the other 3 trainers and Garrison daily and have enough charms to buy an upgrade stone with 2 charms to spare each day.

Eolûnd
Pet Score:6597
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Eolûnd » January 27th, 2015, 6:51 pm

I'm still doing the Panda tamers using all food buffs (and also often the fabled beast to get some food buffs)

Doing the panda tamers indeed takes around 35 mins.

BTW, I'm also using to level my lvl 90 chars btw, it's around a lvl every 3 days

Post by Guest » January 27th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Eolûnd wrote:BTW, I'm also using to level my lvl 90 chars btw, it's around a lvl every 3 days
Be careful, I did that on a toon and forgot to run dungeons for gear. Guess what happens when you hit 100? All the ilvl requirements pop up and you are stuck without an easy/ cheap source of gear to get into normals, let alone heroics/ lfr.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » January 27th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Thralkhar wrote:That gives me right at 15 fights in an hour
Thralkhar either your math is off or mine is. My count on Pandaran Tamers/Elemental Spirits is 11. 7 Tamers and 4 Spirits. If you do 3 more than those it would be 14 total. If my count is inaccurate then I apologize for that.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Post by Guest » January 27th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Morlis wrote:
Thralkhar wrote:That gives me right at 15 fights in an hour
Thralkhar either your math is off or mine is. My count on Pandaran Tamers/Elemental Spirits is 11. 7 Tamers and 4 Spirits. If you do 3 more than those it would be 14 total. If my count is inaccurate then I apologize for that.
Yours is right: :oops:

I could say that my brain is screwing up again, today was a medication vacation day, stupid brain tumour. :evil:

or I may have simply mistyped :roll:

or I may have been adding in Tar out in Nagrand as I have squeezed him in and I am considering trying to use my wormhole generator to get in an extra trainer :|

or something else who knows, maybe I just screwed up. :o

Moonie1
Top Rater
Pet Score:3510
BattleTag®:Moondoggie#1666
Realm:Lothar-us

Post by Moonie1 » January 28th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Thralkhar wrote:
Eolûnd wrote:BTW, I'm also using to level my lvl 90 chars btw, it's around a lvl every 3 days
Be careful, I did that on a toon and forgot to run dungeons for gear. Guess what happens when you hit 100? All the ilvl requirements pop up and you are stuck without an easy/ cheap source of gear to get into normals, let alone heroics/ lfr.
Lots of treasure objects scattered around Nagrand and Spires of Arak that would probably get you high enough and only require travel time in that situation.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 29th, 2015, 12:32 am

I'm a statistics person so this whole rating system setup here at this website feeds into my need for crunching numbers. In Area 52 I'm not even top 100 (#108) yet if I swapped to any of the other realms where I have toons I could be in the top #25. So for me Area 52 gives me the goals I need for power leveling.

My ranking most people are over 550 pets but because of my 15.5 pet average, my 532 pets get ranks pretty high and I think I have a decent system.

Pet Charms get all converted to battle-stones. So far 75% of my main pets are rare, I still have 25% left to convert and the non-wild ones get converted first. I still farm for rare wilds (those are all uncommon, I have no junk/common other than 2nd/3rd pets which don't count). Farming for wild rare = power leveling low level pets. Pets that were droped/Bought in AH that aren't rare get battle-stone upgrades. I do not waste charms on pet food except on super power leveling days.

When I get a new pet, 1 of 2 things happens - if it is Super-Elite I have a strategy that will get it to level 25 in about 2 hours provided I haven't done any Pet Dailies that day. (thus I can only power level one per day). Obviously Ashlei is the first top (12 levels there) then depending on the class a variety of other Draenor/Pandaria tamers.

For the rest, I'll take level 1 over to some place where the opponent pets are level 15 and above and get the pets to level 10. It usually takes about 4-5 battles and the battles are very quick since a Nexus Whelpling or Chrominus can wipe through the rest very quickly. Reason I don't use pet food - most of the time I'm multi-tasking in an area where I could be working on archeology, fishing or dailies. so pet food would go to waste.

Level 10 pets go to Pandaria where I can get them to level 15 in a few rounds. Again, no pet food since I usually am multi-tasking on other things other than pet battles and sometimes farming for missing rares.

Then the pets sit. Trust me, if it was a pet I needed it would have already been leveled to 25.

Then Scruggs day comes around. The day before I will do a run at the Fable Dailies in Pandaria (they drop Pet Treats) and I will skip buying battle stones with my pet charms. Scruggs/Jahan are the back to back Garrison Dailies that you can do some serious power leveling. It is them I use pet food because that's all I will do - power level pets, usually up to 21-22. It usally takes about 3-4 battles to level the pet from 15-22. After that it slows down some and I'd rather move on to the next pet.

At that point I'll get those pets up to 25 when I find a need to have that pet at level 25. Again, if it was that critical of a pet I would have powerleveled it ages ago.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » January 29th, 2015, 1:40 am

Morlis wrote:To save on Pet food timers I actually stationed a level 1 at each of the pandaren tamers, including the elementals, 11 in total. Give each a couple pet food and they have the hat already. Getting them there would require help from a friend or being able to play 2 accounts at the same time. 2 seat flying mount is also a must. I play 2 accounts so it was easy to get them there. The only unsafe spot is Seeker Zusshi. It can be done, you have to be careful and time your conversations with Zusshi. There is a basilisk that wanders around a mound nearby that will agro if he is on the near side of the mound. Even still death is a quick run back and buffs persist through death.
While I have no level 1 alts anymore, I do this as well. I have an alt parked at every Tamer I battle. I found that it works best if I station an alt that is at least 68 at Seeker Zusshi. Anything lower level will have too large an agro radius and will attract the attention of the basilisk you mentioned. At least the yaungol that used to path right by Zusshi is no longer there.

If I feel like it, I sometimes do wild pet battles in Frostfire Ridge with the [pet]Icespine Hatchling[/pet]s there. I have a team that usually defeats them without my needing to bring in my third pet.

Post by Guest » January 29th, 2015, 8:33 am

Moonie1 wrote:
Thralkhar wrote:
Lots of treasure objects scattered around Nagrand and Spires of Arak that would probably get you high enough and only require travel time in that situation.
Not really, their ilvl is too low (on average). The toon in question had to go do the quest chains in Nagrand for gear. The chains were trivial mind you it was just if I had stopped pet daily rotation on that toon at 99 and had run a few daily dungeons it would have taken me far less time than having to replace an average ilvl of 544 on that toon.

So again, if you opt to level a toon via pet battles, stop at 99 and do some dungeons for gear or be prepared to hunt/ pay/ quest for it. Quicker to do the dungeons.

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » January 29th, 2015, 2:50 pm

Abbotta wrote:I'm a statistics person so ....
not WoW related but I was fascinated reading about the Malmquist bias in astronomy which is a statistical error. Even though I never even finished college algebra, I would be fascinated by statistics. (for a while at least....until it becomes difficult)