Garrison dailies that don't use the undead valk?

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Alders
Pet Score:2412
Realm:Magtheridon-us
Garrison dailies that don't use the undead valk?

Post by Alders » January 25th, 2015, 3:31 am

I have not been lucky enough to find a valk yet, so garrison daily pet battles have been a challenge for me. Anyone have any good tips or pets to use instead of the Valk? In particular for the Two gronnlings and the boars dailies?

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Re: Garrison dailies that don't use the undead valk?

Post by Rendigar » January 25th, 2015, 10:25 am

Doom + Unholy Ascension are the core of that fight (Gromli & Kromli), so I am not sure you can make due with the go-to alternative, which is the [pet]Ghostly Skull[/pet] (which you can buy in Dalaran). You would open with Ghostly Bite (which would stun you), then maybe get 1 or 2 shadow shocks off before you had to Unholy Ascension.

A B/B or P/S [pet]Blighthawk[/pet] may also work out - start with Lift-Off to avoid rupture, then use Ghostly Bite (which stuns you), and finish with Infected Claws. This is assuming you want to swap your carry pet in on Kromli's 1st round (where he always casts his defensive spell (Stoneskin?).

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » January 25th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I only use that fat pigeon for for the quintessence of light(i would use anything with corpse explosion or UA basically).
About Kromli Gromli, I use a 292 speed crystal spider, Mr Grubs and a Mossbite skitterer. The strat is somewhat messy... so messy I forget it everytime :lol:. The idea is to get brittle webbing to work against the dreadful breath, stun before the next rupture, basically free damage on the haymaker one. Grubs is there for burrow, sticky web to benefit if from the stun(prevent swap). The skitterer to finish it off, double hit with takedown.

Vetteranger
Top Rater
Pet Score:4846
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vetteranger » January 25th, 2015, 4:29 pm

While I use my Val'kyr in that fight, I also used to use the Blighthawk and Ghostly Skull, both of which dominate the field when they are up. So while I haven't tried it, you very well might have an easy time of that fight with those two undead plus another good strong undead. The Blighthawk has a lift off that can avoid some of the big hits, and the Skull can use Ghostly Bite on his undead bonus round for huge damage without worrying about stunning himself. Scourged Whelpling might be a good candidate for the 3rd.

Also, check the Wowhead page for any trainer/team. You'll generally find several different possible teams in the comments.

Yes, getting the Val'kyr can be pretty frustrating, as it is a valuable pet both for collection and battle purposes, and there is nothing you can do to get it other than be at the right place at the right time. I got mine stalking the two northern spawn points in the Basin. I'd actually dozed off while I watched the one at the coast. I woke up and was about to log, but decided to take one more look at the other point. When I got there the Val'kyr spawned just as I flew up.

Post by Guest » January 25th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Vetteranger wrote: <snip>Val'kyr <snip> as it is a valuable pet both for collection and battle purposes
Am I the only one who thinks if my Argent squire can get a mount, why can't my Valk ride an Clefthoof Runt?

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 25th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Thralkhar wrote:
Vetteranger wrote: <snip>Val'kyr <snip> as it is a valuable pet both for collection and battle purposes
Am I the only one who thinks if my Argent squire can get a mount, why can't my Valk ride an Clefthoof Runt?
Yup *hands over phone number to the men with the nice white coat for you with arms that tie in the back* :D

Girandzim
Pet Score:7078
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Girandzim » January 25th, 2015, 7:15 pm

If you have any type of real pet collection, you don't need the Undead Valk for any of the fights.

Vetteranger
Top Rater

Post by Vetteranger » January 25th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Girandzim wrote:If you have any type of real pet collection, you don't need the Undead Valk for any of the fights.
Sure, you can get by without one. But if you have one, that combo of Doom + Haunt is powerful. And in PvP I win about 90% with my team that leads off with one.

Post by Guest » January 25th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Rendigar wrote:
Thralkhar wrote:
Yup *hands over phone number to the men with the nice white coat for you with arms that tie in the back* :D
Sigh I knew it.

Girandzim
Pet Score:7078

Post by Girandzim » January 25th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Vetteranger wrote:
Girandzim wrote:If you have any type of real pet collection, you don't need the Undead Valk for any of the fights.
Sure, you can get by without one. But if you have one, that combo of Doom + Haunt is powerful. And in PvP I win about 90% with my team that leads off with one.
Except, you know, no strategies for any of the dailies require it. Obviously Doom + Haunt is powerful but when the dailies themselves are laughably easy already, it isn't necessary. Also this was a thread about the Garrison dailies, not PvP.

Vetteranger
Top Rater

Post by Vetteranger » January 26th, 2015, 2:35 am

Girandzim wrote:
Vetteranger wrote:
Except, you know, no strategies for any of the dailies require it. Obviously Doom + Haunt is powerful but when the dailies themselves are laughably easy already, it isn't necessary. Also this was a thread about the Garrison dailies, not PvP.
The two pet strategy I use against Gromli uses a Flayer and the Val'kyr. I tried a few other suggested teams without finding anything as reliable as the strategy using that team. It just seemed like you were intimating that the Val'kry is over-rated. It isn't. If you have one, there are situations when you are very glad you do. I know I'm happy I took the time to camp for one. Anytime there is a humanoid on a trainer team, the Val'kyr is on mine (with one exception in the Celestial Tournament). I'm all about easier, more dependable fights, and in its place it contributes to that goal.

And ... so I addressed the topic and made a side comment. Excuuuuuussssse me! ;-)

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318

Post by Abbotta » January 26th, 2015, 10:45 am

I've helped many people with Garrison/Pet Tamer battles who did not have Unborn Valks. I've helped them when they didn't have many of the big guns out there to complete the tasks.

Honestly, I think just about any pet battle outside some of the fable pets can be completed without these elite pets provided that you have the right wild pets. I started a thread about some of the 'must have' wild pets. Focus on getting some of those high end ones like some of the Whelpings, the Kun-Lai Runt (#4 on the Pet Battle top 20 list and roaming free in the mountains of Kun-Lai), a Rapana Whelk/Silkbead Snail, some good moths and some oozelings.

And if you can invest in some pets from the AH. I think the Iron Starlette is one of the cheapest pets in the AH and when you get that to level 25, that thing is a super killer (Windup-Supercharge-Windup). Saving up for a Chrominus is nice too.

If you have those set of pets leveled to 25 you can probably do the Pandaran Spirit Tamers and start collecting their pets. That will get you your PWS/Chrominus Bombs.

One of the reasons Unborn Val'Kyrs are so popular is the Pet Bomb combo of the Valk/Pandaran Water Spirit and Chrominus. Those things work well against many of the Fable Pets. You might be able to substitute a [pet]Ghostly Skull[/pet] for the Valk. It can be found over in Dalarian and has the Unholy Ascension.

Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Principa » January 26th, 2015, 11:19 am

I don't have a val'kyr, and have been managing to finish all of the dailies. It's frustrating, but it's also a fun challenge (and yes, I include time swearing at my computer "fun"...!)

I don't write it down, which then means each time I do it, I have to figure it out again... hah. But, for the Quintessence of Light, I know for sure I wound up doing the ghostly skull + pandaren water spirit + chrominius. For the 2 boars, I used some pretty intense mech combos. For the rest, I'll usually fail once or twice just getting a feel for the pets (hard hitters? healers? multiple attacks?), then will comb through the pets that are strong against them and resist their attacks, and hope for the best.

I've been collecting pets since 2006. I still don't have a val'kyr. At this point, maybe it's just not meant to be ;) But, it's all still doable with a decent collection and some brainstorming :) Good luck!

Thumbscrew
Pet Score:4091
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Thumbscrew » January 27th, 2015, 11:13 pm

The pigs, Brutus and Rukus is my favorite leveling daily. I use a pair of iron Starlettes. Just wind up -> supercharge -> windup and they die. Swap leveling pet in when the first starlette dies. The second Starlette must be a P/S in order to go first.

Kromli and Gromli is the only fight where undead pets really shine, but the Valk isnt needed. Personally I use a S/S Flayer Youngling and a Lesser Voidcaller for that fight. Since I absolutely hate the Valk and avoid using it whenever possible. Most times I just don't bother to level with Kromli and Gromli though since its annoyingly long and there are plenty of other days that offer much easier leveling opportunities.

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318

Post by Abbotta » January 28th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Principa wrote:I don't have a val'kyr, and have been managing to finish all of the dailies. It's frustrating, but it's also a fun challenge (and yes, I include time swearing at my computer "fun"...!)

I don't write it down, which then means each time I do it, I have to figure it out again... hah. But, for the Quintessence of Light, I know for sure I wound up doing the ghostly skull + pandaren water spirit + chrominius. For the 2 boars, I used some pretty intense mech combos. For the rest, I'll usually fail once or twice just getting a feel for the pets (hard hitters? healers? multiple attacks?), then will comb through the pets that are strong against them and resist their attacks, and hope for the best.

I've been collecting pets since 2006. I still don't have a val'kyr. At this point, maybe it's just not meant to be ;) But, it's all still doable with a decent collection and some brainstorming :) Good luck!
One last thing about finding an Unborn - when you least expect one that is when you will find it. Everytime I went on a hunt for an Unborn Val'kyr I came up empty handed. Then one day while I was leveling my Hunter in Outland I just happen to stumble upon one. And whatever you do when you do find one do NOT get fussy if it is a crappy junk one. Take what you can get - it can always be upgraded to a rare.

And if you are frustrated with your realm see if someone can invite you to a group and you can cross over to their realm and search. I helped people find Minfernals that way on the Oceanic Realm where I have my DK (but you have to have a horde less than 58 for it to work). I'd invite you over to my realm to search but Area 52 is so overpopulated it's tough to find super-rares on this realm.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 28th, 2015, 12:14 pm

Abbotta wrote:
One last thing about finding an Unborn - when you least expect one that is when you will find it. Everytime I went on a hunt for an Unborn Val'kyr I came up empty handed. Then one day while I was leveling my Hunter in Outland I just happen to stumble upon one. And whatever you do when you do find one do NOT get fussy if it is a crappy junk one. Take what you can get - it can always be upgraded to a rare.

And if you are frustrated with your realm see if someone can invite you to a group and you can cross over to their realm and search. I helped people find Minfernals that way on the Oceanic Realm where I have my DK (but you have to have a horde less than 58 for it to work). I'd invite you over to my realm to search but Area 52 is so overpopulated it's tough to find super-rares on this realm.
My Horde DK IS level 58...is yours only 57?
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Katybug273
Pet Score:2930
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Katybug273 » January 29th, 2015, 6:59 am

absolutely true I have still been unlucky catching a valk and haven't bothered to camp for one but have yet to be defeated by garrison pets
Valk may make some easier than others but most of them I play around with the cheat sheet print out here and find a combo without looking them up.
I'll have to watch for the ones you're stuck on to see what I use.

Katybug273
Pet Score:2930
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Katybug273 » January 29th, 2015, 7:02 am

Abbotta wrote:
Principa wrote:I don't have a val'kyr, and have been managing to finish all of the dailies. It's frustrating, but it's also a fun challenge (and yes, I include time swearing at my computer "fun"...!)

Valk isn't Outland - it is in Northrend. Unless something has changed?

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » January 29th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Yea, I don't use my Val'k very much for garrison dailies.

My Kromli/Gromli team is double [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/wow-pets/humanoid/miscellaneous/flayer-youngling/]Flayer Youngling[/url]. Yes, it took some farming, and they are both S/S. But at least you stand a chance of farming those with relative ease over Val'k farming. The Flayer strat is really easy. Just use your stun [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/humanoid/kick/]Kick[/url] move as often as you can and use [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/humanoid/reflection/]Deflection[/url] whenever their big move is off CD. Fill in with [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/abilities/beast/triple-snap/]Triple Snap[/url]. Teh S/S Flayer will go first, so it really works well and is almost bullet-proof.

My Brutus/Ruckus team is double Iron Starlette as well. That fight is really easy using that team.

See! Neither one NEEDS a Val'k! :D
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » January 29th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I have done all of the Garrison dailies. I haven't used the Val'Kyr in a single fight.
I might have never used the Val'Kyr in PvE, the Val'Kyr is a PvP pet for me.