just a tip for new pet battlers

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us
just a tip for new pet battlers

Post by Skavenged » January 15th, 2015, 1:19 pm

Here lately, I've seen more and more people getting involved in Pet battles. A few of them, whether friends or guildies, have asked which pet they should level up first. Most of the posts I've seen here talk about this useful pet, or that useful pet, or this family or that. In my opinion, the absolute most critical pet to level first, is a cat. Personally, I recommend the Darkmoon cub because it has pretty good speed and is very easy to get. Once your cat is level 25, you can use it to level other pets very quickly. Halfhill is surrounded by critters with quick respawn, and with Devour, you rarely have to make stable runs. Just my opinion of course

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Re: just a tip for new pet battlers

Post by Graven » January 15th, 2015, 3:54 pm

Nice tip, but given your profile pic I'm surprised at no love for the Zandalari nippers. They all come with either devour or bloodfang, and generally come in more powerful breeds. :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 15th, 2015, 4:54 pm

Yup any beast with devour or similar should be able to mow through critters without having to stop and any place with lots of critters works well there. Now a days I think I'd only do that long enough to get a couple good teams for the Menagerie fights that are good power leveling and use those.

Skavenged
Pet Score:9590
Realm:Cairne-us

Post by Skavenged » January 15th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Love my Toenibbler, but for newer players, they can be more difficult to get without buying them on the AH. Cats can be tamed or bought cheap, even at low levels

Roisen
Top Rater
Pet Score:8772
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Roisen » January 15th, 2015, 9:21 pm

Skavenged wrote:Love my Toenibbler, but for newer players, they can be more difficult to get without buying them on the AH. Cats can be tamed or bought cheap, even at low levels
:P
good thinking!

Eridalafar
Pet Score:4100
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Eridalafar » January 16th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Don't forget Molten Corgi, eveyone probably have get it during the 10 years annivesary event.

It worth to level and use because of his superbark habiliy that hut anohe pet while leting the othe pet with at last 1 HP. So i make the other pet easy to capture (i is very fusrating to kill a blue quality of a rare to find pet because a a crit...).

They are also he terrible turnip wih a similaire habiliy, but it is a lot harder to get for begininer.

Eridalafar

Matuzak
Pet Score:4329
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Matuzak » January 16th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Along with a devour beast, I'd recommend leveling a terrible turnip. The turnip makes capturing new pets a breeze(especially low level pets that are easy to kill by accident while weakening for the capture).

Another would be the anub idol. That damn thing is so good for so many of the trainers!

Oracle
Pet Score:2464
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Oracle » January 19th, 2015, 2:13 pm

YES to the turnip and corgi...there's no agony like that unexpected crit when you're planning to capture a rare. Their 'can't reduce health below 1' attacks are extremely useful.

Echinacea
Pet Score:10214
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Echinacea » January 20th, 2015, 10:00 am

Skavenged wrote:Here lately, I've seen more and more people getting involved in Pet battles. A few of them, whether friends or guildies, have asked which pet they should level up first. Most of the posts I've seen here talk about this useful pet, or that useful pet, or this family or that. In my opinion, the absolute most critical pet to level first, is a cat. Personally, I recommend the Darkmoon cub because it has pretty good speed and is very easy to get. Once your cat is level 25, you can use it to level other pets very quickly. Halfhill is surrounded by critters with quick respawn, and with Devour, you rarely have to make stable runs. Just my opinion of course
thats what i did at first.....since most of the wild pets are critters it makes cat levelling quite easy.

I remember before having any 25s (and knowing how to powerlevel) i went from zone to zone to level them in kalimdor.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » January 20th, 2015, 10:27 pm

i would add levelling a dragonkin and at least one mechanical pet as also essential early on in a battling/capturing team

Vetteranger
Top Rater
Pet Score:4846
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vetteranger » January 22nd, 2015, 11:56 am

As others have mentioned, either the Terrible Turnip or Molten Corgi is essential if you are still capturing wild pets.

I'm a BIG fan of the Emerald Proto-Whelp. It has big "every round" damage with Breath, a big heal with Ancient Blessing, and an avoidance move (plus even bigger damage) with Proto-Strike. Because of Ancient Blessing and Proto-Strike, it can solo virtually all wild teams. Since you don't run into very many of the Humanoid family in the wild, this is a good pet to lean on.

When your foes are primarily aquatic, nothing beats the Flamering Moth. Again, it has big damage for every round and a big heal. It doesn't have an avoidance move, but it does have a big damage attack with an chance to stun. If you are fighting a pet with a big damage ability (like the second round of Pump, or Dive), simply refrain from healing until you take the big damage. Flamering's heal is 300 + half of the last damage taken, so the bigger the hit you take, the bigger your heal will be. Be sure to keep him over half health against other flying pets tho, as you always want to go first. Again, there aren't many wild teams that the Flamering can't solo. He's also a good stand-in for the Emerald Proto-Whelp if you do happen to run into teams with a Humanoid.

Pterrodaxx Hatchling is similar to the Flamering, except its primary attack isn't as reliable. It can be anything from 1 to 3 strikes per round, and you will always feel like it chooses one strike at the worst possible time. LOL However, I still like the pet a lot.

You may get the idea that I prefer pets with big heals when I'm capturing/leveling, and that's true. Generally, you can grind through quite a few fights with these pets without having to bandage or visit a Stable Master. If you have both on the team, then if one DOES get low, you can simply use the other one. Rarely do both pets have their health drop too low before the heal timer is up, and both the Whelp and the Moth can usually solo a team starting at 60-70 percent health.

And when capturing, setting weather to Sunny with the Turnip let's these "big heal pets" exceed their starting health pool.

If you haven't yet done the Celestial Tournament, the guide at Icy-Veins has your essential list of pets for defeating those trainers and epics. (http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/4 ... ent-guide/)

Whatshertoes
Top Rater
Pet Score:2069
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Whatshertoes » January 23rd, 2015, 8:13 pm

Are there any tips in general for leveling these guys up?

The leveling feels incredibly slow. I have an Emerald Whelpling (lv14), Mini Diablo (lv12), and Infinite Whelpling (lv13)

I still have quite a few pets to capture in the wild and will most likely go back to get better versions of my poor and common quality ones.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 23rd, 2015, 8:30 pm

Whatshertoes wrote:Are there any tips in general for leveling these guys up?

The leveling feels incredibly slow. I have an Emerald Whelpling (lv14), Mini Diablo (lv12), and Infinite Whelpling (lv13)

I still have quite a few pets to capture in the wild and will most likely go back to get better versions of my poor and common quality ones.
It depends. In Patch 6.1 they might be adding a quest (one time) that rewards an item to instantly level one pet to 25. If you do this, you can pick a good one vs aquatics (some rare quality flyer...do some research on which you want) and have it boost other low level pets vs aquatics in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms (which will be faster).

If you don't want to wait that long, here is a quicky on how to quickly get a pet to 25. It's a bit RNG, but most people can make it work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB9HC1Ol2kQ
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829