Looking for PvP mentor or PvP regular fight club

Discuss pet battles, strategy and theorycrafting.
Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us
Looking for PvP mentor or PvP regular fight club

Post by Abbotta » January 13th, 2015, 9:11 am

Ok, I'm at the point that PvE is starting to not be enough for me. I still do it because I'm determined to get to 600 pets and top 100 pet collector for Area 52 on this site but I really want to move into more PvP.

I've been reading the manuals and going to start doing random fights, but I would really like to work with some experienced Battle Pet PvPers to learn the ropes first hand about Battle Pets. The other idea would be to find some other like minded people and start a 'fight club' of sorts where we can work together to help hone our PvP skills for our battle pets

Hopefully from your successful mentor I would be able to then do the same for someone else who wants to be mentored. Because in the end it isn't about who wins or loses but about enjoying our hobby of collecting battle pets.

reach out to me at LynneSin#1318 I'm on Horde on Area 52 but I have toons scattered about and could easily drop a quick toon on another realm to work directly with someone.

Matrixenforcer
Pet Score:7354
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Re: Looking for PvP mentor or PvP regular fight club

Post by Matrixenforcer » January 13th, 2015, 10:32 pm

I like this idea. I am a complete pet pvp noob but would love to get in on this. I think I even have an alt on Area 52. I will add you and try to catch up with you tomorrow.

Melfice
Top Rater
Pet Score:3357
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Melfice » January 14th, 2015, 1:23 pm

I like the idea of a PvP Fight Club for pets!

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » January 14th, 2015, 7:54 pm

I am experienced and enjoy pet PvP. I love the dynamics and decision making involved in preparing teams and keeping 1 pet standing during PvP

I highly recommend Discodoggy's pet PvP blog ... His daily battle segment offers insights about winning decisions and errors during matches. You learn about solid and weak pets and innovative approaches in pet pvp

His battle screenshots and fun ,creative teams are a bonus too

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » January 15th, 2015, 11:45 am

I could be interested in hosting a tournament on EU IF there is enough interest. I'm not looking forward to the organizing, but the tournaments that I've joined have always been lots of fun.

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » January 15th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Awq wrote:I could be interested in hosting a tournament on EU IF there is enough interest. I'm not looking forward to the organizing, but the tournaments that I've joined have always been lots of fun.
How do they work btw? I ALWAYS wanted a player tournament, and I wish they added an arena for PvP pet battlers to meet, and have a system in game to run it!!! Like weekly tournaments, and the winners can be entered for a grand monthly tournament for rare pet rewards, and titles.

I would love to see this done in WoW, but Blizzard might never get around to making it.

Celya
Top Rater
Pet Score:4103
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Celya » January 16th, 2015, 6:24 am

Abbotta wrote: The other idea would be to find some other like minded people and start a 'fight club' of sorts where we can work together to help hone our PvP skills for our battle pets
Am I the only one picturing a group of people, huddled in the basement of someone's Garrison Inn, cheering and betting on pets fighting in a ring in the centre...?

Abbotta
MVP
Pet Score:11315
BattleTag®:LynneSin#1318
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Abbotta » January 16th, 2015, 8:56 am

Celya wrote:
Abbotta wrote: The other idea would be to find some other like minded people and start a 'fight club' of sorts where we can work together to help hone our PvP skills for our battle pets
Am I the only one picturing a group of people, huddled in the basement of someone's Garrison Inn, cheering and betting on pets fighting in a ring in the centre...?
Creepy thought but we could make a movie out of that!

Wait are you my alter ego who I am replying to this post?

Melfice
Top Rater

Post by Melfice » January 16th, 2015, 12:59 pm

Celya wrote:
Haha I would love something like this in game! Have Inn's in major Cities, and some towns have it. Blizzard could make some awesome stuff, but I don't think we will ever see any of it in game :(

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » January 17th, 2015, 5:45 am

Celya wrote:
I see Gurubashi, Nagrand arenas or the Org colliseum (if it wasn't the brawlers thingy now ;D) more fit!!

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11106
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Melmo » January 17th, 2015, 9:20 am

I would love a mentor myself, I'm so awful at PvP and that Direhorn is forever out of reach for me. Good luck to you!!

Awq
Realm:Shattered Halls-eu

Post by Awq » January 17th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Melfice wrote:How do they work btw?
I've been in three of them. They were all different from each other.

The rules were set by the leader. The rules were all different from each other, and so was the system. What these tournaments had in common was that people gathered up in a deserted location (deserted city on a PvE server/Darkmoon Faire). And then people would battle. You would see pet battles everywhere.
Some of these tournaments had prices, others didn't.

Biggest tournament had 10-15 players. It used a 'group system'. Everyone would fight each other, the player with the most wins would win. There were three rounds (first round one could use your top team, the next two rounds had handicaps). The player with the most wins after these three rounds wins.

Other tournament had 8 players. We didn't have that much time. We used a single-elimination knock-out system. We only used 1 team. There were no handicaps.

Last tournament had 6 players. We had a lot more time. So we first used a 'group system' with each group to determine the best two of each group.These players entered a single-elimination knock-out system. This tournament had a fun handicap. Before each fight we could tell which pet the opponent had to use in a team. This resulted in some unique teams (and some nice mind-games).

If I were to make a tournament it would have 2-4 groups. The players would have to submit three teams before the tournament. People would play a best of three. Everyone would fight each player of their group/league. The top 2-4 players of a group would then enter a double elimination knock-out system.
There would be pets for the top 3.
I would love to see this done in WoW, but Blizzard might never get around to making it.
I am not a big fan of such an event that you describe. I don't think pet battles would provide the right content for competitive pvp tournaments. I prefer it if players created this content. There is nothing stopping a group of players to make their own tournaments.

Beast_mast0r
Pet Score:3175
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Beast_mast0r » January 17th, 2015, 3:41 pm

@Awq , the notion of having three submitted teams befirehand sounds perfect. One could bring one of each family and cover every counter with abilties ( in theory). Picking a pet for your opponent sounds delicious! Pick a critten for your opponent and use double elemental+ undead :-D ... dem mind games.

Erdinger
Pet Score:12848
BattleTag®:Goldhaar#2899
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Erdinger » January 18th, 2015, 6:05 am

Melmo wrote:I would love a mentor myself, I'm so awful at PvP and that Direhorn is forever out of reach for me. Good luck to you!!
Don't say that :) Being the pet collector that you are, you clearly have the most important skill required: patience !

You know, you get credit for the win if the opponent runs away. And very often they will, when other queues pop, their moms are yelling, etc.

Also, pvp pet battles are anonymized. Noone will know it's you they're fighting against, so you don't have to be afraid of humiliation, if that's an issue.

Of course it's discouraging to lose 5 in a row, but that only makes those one occasional proper wins taste even sweeter, doesn't it :)

Have a team that fulfills eachother. Elementals seem to do well, as they ignore negative weather effects. Controlling the weather is very important. For example, Fel Flame is very good in my experience, with his scorched earth ability and his increased damage against mechanicals (which you very often run in to). Two pets with conflagrate, and a 3rd with more defensive abilities, like walls and heals, will see you start winning battles soon enough and suddenly 250 isn't such an unreachable number after all :)

Just aim for a few wins pr day at first, picking up the weekly win 10 pvp battles quest along the way, and soon you can start making room for that direhorn in your menagerie :D

Good luck!

Alesis
Pet Score:2472
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Alesis » January 18th, 2015, 11:05 pm

This is a great idea, if someone gets this organized i'm game